Author Topic: Legalized Marijuana and the Crime Question  (Read 145192 times)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
Re: Legalized Marijuana and the Crime Question
« Reply #425 on: July 01, 2014, 10:27:08 PM »
Okay, lol. I see.what you guys are up to.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #426 on: July 01, 2014, 10:27:33 PM »
What's this about?

It's about Archer forgetting that this isn't the G&O board, actually. lol

He's messing with me a little in the G&O style because he's apparently a little sore due to the little side discussion we had in the thread linked below.  

I don't take it seriously and no one else should either -- I'm kinda stoked that I apparently got his goat.  -- So to speak, I should add because, no, I did not have sex with his goat, lol.

Read from reply #22 to get all the details:
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=539034.0

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #427 on: July 02, 2014, 12:28:18 AM »
It's about Archer forgetting that this isn't the G&O board, actually. lol

He's messing with me a little in the G&O style because he's apparently a little sore due to the little side discussion we had in the thread linked below.  

I don't take it seriously and no one else should either -- I'm kinda stoked that I apparently got his goat.  -- So to speak, I should add because, no, I did not have sex with his goat, lol.

Read from reply #22 to get all the details:
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=539034.0

You didnt get my goat though I'm sure you've molested a few of those as well.  Im mocking your stupidity.

Yeah, but to you it seems "clear" that factoring in the legality of one drug when deciding the legality of another isn't reasonable so I'm not gonna lose any sleep about what you think, lol.  --- Or what you SAY you think;  I haven't been on this board long but I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice your tendency to be amusingly petty the way you'll sometimes lash out a little when folks figuratively corner after you've taken one of frequent illogical stances on some issue that's being discussed.  When you're reduced to name-calling, it's telling, lol.

This comment is what prompted my post.  The fact that you are so lacking in self awareness that you  cant recognize that this describes you to a T is both hilarious and pathetic.  Youre a bitter old man who lashes out when hes butthurt.
A

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #428 on: July 02, 2014, 09:14:27 AM »

You didnt get my goat though I'm sure you've molested a few of those as well.  Im mocking your stupidity.

This comment is what prompted my post.  The fact that you are so lacking in self awareness that you  cant recognize that this describes you to a T is both hilarious and pathetic.  Youre a bitter old man who lashes out when hes butthurt.

Whateva, mang.  You took the position of a rapist-sympathizer and ya got treated like one.  Deal with it. lol 

I'm still laughing about your ill-put "due process" objections about using a woman's claims of being sexually assaulted in a effort to study the prevalence of sexual assault when no one is being legally charged with anything.  That's either some mind-bogglingly confused thinking or maybe just extremely poor writing on your part, ya self-proclaimed "statistics hobbyist".  lol

About the comment that prompted you to adopt the mode of Captain-Save-a-Schmoe (lol), I'm pretty sure that BB is older than me and more bitter but no matter what, I doubt if he needs or wants any of your help.  I guess I could be wrong about that, though.

Truth is, you don't seem like the dumbest guy here but I think it's likely that I'm smarter, funnier, AND a better bodybuilder than you.  lol

None of that means we can't be friends, though, right?  ;D

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #429 on: July 02, 2014, 09:22:41 AM »
Whateva, mang.  You took the position of a rapist-sympathizer and ya got treated like one.  Deal with it. lol 

I'm still laughing about your ill-put "due process" objections about using a woman's claims of being sexually assaulted in a effort to study the prevalence of sexual assault when no one is being legally charged with anything.  That's either some mind-bogglingly confused thinking or maybe just extremely poor writing on your part, ya self-proclaimed "statistics hobbyist".  lol

About the comment that prompted you to adopt the mode of Captain-Save-a-Schmoe (lol), I'm pretty sure that BB is older than me and more bitter but no matter what, I doubt if he needs or wants any of your help.  I guess I could be wrong about that, though.

Truth is, you don't seem like the dumbest guy here but I think it's likely that I'm smarter, funnier, AND a better bodybuilder than you.  lol

None of that means we can't be friends, though, right?  ;D

So you denied branding anyone who disagreed with you as a pro-rape and desperately tried to pass off your insinuation as a joke but here you are doing it again.  Your lack of self awareness is amazing or could it be that you are just so stupid you have no idea what you're saying.   Most likely youre a liar who got caught saying something ridiculously immature and when called on it tried to deny you meant it.   

I'm sorry that you find due process to be funny.  You see, due process is the basis for our legal system.  Someone can't accuse another person of something without proving the allegation.  Maybe you would be better served moving to some backward third world nation that doesn't value due process of the law.
A

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #430 on: July 02, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »

So you denied branding anyone who disagreed with you as a pro-rape and desperately tried to pass off your insinuation as a joke but here you are doing it again.  Your lack of self awareness is amazing or could it be that you are just so stupid you have no idea what you're saying.   Most likely youre a liar who got caught saying something ridiculously immature and when called on it tried to deny you meant it.   

Holy Wants-to-dish-it-out-but-can't-take-it!!

I mean, you can't be serious, can you?  This from the guy who a few posts up was writing that I had raped a 5-year old boy?  Too freakin' funny!  Here's a thought:  You and your various personalities maybe ought to have a little pow-wow where you discuss consistency and the meaning of the word "hypocrite".  (Naw, fuck it, this is Getbig -- I expect a little craziness, lol.)

Honestly, crazy-guy, when I quipped to Shockwave that he was throwing in with the pro-rape crowd, I was trying to inject some levity into the conversation while making him aware of how his (and your) arguments could be perceived.  You can doubt this all ya want but it seems to me, that since you've clearly taken a look at my historical posts (not because I got your goat, though, lol), I'm sure that you've seen that I try to be funny pretty often.  Like all wannabe funny guys, though, I do fail sometimes.  So when Shockwave seemed to be sincerely offended at my joke, I told him I was just kidding.  

I'm sorry that you find due process to be funny.  You see, due process is the basis for our legal system.  Someone can't accuse another person of something without proving the allegation.  Maybe you would be better served moving to some backward third world nation that doesn't value due process of the law.

Uh, Hello?  McFly?  You do realize that no one was accusing anyone in particular of anything, don't you?  You realize that the legal system was not involved, right?  Were someone being charged with a crime, I would agree with you.  But that isn't the case.  

Now, it does occur to me that what you're trying to say is that accepting the study's questionable statistics about the prevalence of sexual assaults could prejudice those in the legal system (cops, DA's, judges, juries) against those who will in the future be charged with sexual assault and thereby arguably deprive them of due process but if you mean that then you suck at writing because that's not what you've said.

BTW, no hard feelings on my part, honestly.  I didn't mean to abuse your goat, I really didn't. lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #431 on: July 02, 2014, 10:12:09 AM »
Activists sue to block marijuana sales tax in Colorado
By Kelly David Burke
Published July 01, 2014
FoxNews.com

Marijuana legalization advocates are suing to block state and local governments from collecting certain taxes on weed sold in Colorado, out of concern that businesses paying the fees would incriminate themselves at the federal level.

The suit, which addresses the complications that arise from a state legalizing a drug that remains illegal under federal law, was filed in Denver District Court by local attorney Rob Corry. The main goal is to reduce the 29 percent wholesale and retail taxes collected at the state and local levels on sales of recreational marijuana, and specifically block those taxes that apply only to their industry.

Recreational marijuana was legalized in Colorado when voters approved an amendment to the state constitution in November 2012. Legal sales began Jan. 1.

But the lawsuit contends that requiring those involved in Colorado's legal marijuana industry to pay taxes could get them in trouble with the feds.

"They're open records, and they are admitting to a federal crime," Corry said. "It's still a federal crime to sell marijuana and I don't agree with that law, but it is the law."

Corry filed the suit on behalf of six individuals, two of whom use only pseudonyms in the complaint. Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, Denver Mayor Michael Hancock, the Denver Treasury Division and the state Department of Revenue are listed as defendants.

The suit uses the rationale that federal law takes precedence over state law: "The underlying rationale of the preemption doctrine is that the Supremacy Clause invalidates state laws that 'interfere with, or are contrary to, the laws of Congress.'"

"The fact that there are marijuana-specific taxes," Corry maintains, "puts every single one of these business owners and every single one of these consumers in danger of federal prosecution, potentially. That's a violation of the Fifth Amendment."

But when it comes to taxes, the federal government also is entitled to its share, explained Amanda Cruser, a Denver area tax attorney who once worked for the U.S. Department of Justice. "On the federal side, if you don't pay your income taxes and you don't pay your employment taxes, you're going to be subjecting yourself to criminal tax charges," she said.

The irony of the federal government collecting taxes on a substance illegal under federal law is not lost on federal drug task force head Tom Gorman.

"As far as I know, if the federal government takes money from a criminal enterprise, that's part of money laundering," Gorman said. "When they can seize the money because it's illegal but then to take it in and use the money, to me would be a violation of law in itself."

In an August 2013 press release, the Justice Department said it had notified Colorado and Washington (the two states that have legalized recreational marijuana) that it would essentially look the other way -- at least for now. "The Department has informed the governors of both states that it is deferring its right to challenge their legalization laws at this time," the statement said.

That stance has done little to clarify the situation since this and subsequent administrations would reserve the right to change that policy. The lack of certainty has left both opponents and proponents of marijuana legalization frustrated and confused.

"I think the federal government needs to make up its mind whether they have supremacy over state law, and then enforce that law," Gorman said. "It makes no sense. The federal government needs to step up and say if you wanna change it, change it in Congress not state by state."

Corry, a legalization advocate, agrees. "This question of the tension between federal law and state law is the question that confronts the marijuana community every day," he said. "Our governor has been essentially impotent. He should demand that Congress should do something about this and we hope this lawsuit, by depriving them from tax revenue, will cause that to happen."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/01/colorado-lawsuit-calls-for-tax-reductions-on-recreational-pot/?intcmp=latestnews

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #432 on: July 02, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »
Activists sue to block marijuana sales tax in Colorado
By Kelly David Burke
Published July 01, 2014
FoxNews.com

Marijuana legalization advocates are suing to block state and local governments from collecting certain taxes on weed sold in Colorado, out of concern that businesses paying the fees would incriminate themselves at the federal level.

The suit, which addresses the complications that arise from a state legalizing a drug that remains illegal under federal law, was filed in Denver District Court by local attorney Rob Corry. The main goal is to reduce the 29 percent wholesale and retail taxes collected at the state and local levels on sales of recreational marijuana, and specifically block those taxes that apply only to their industry.

Recreational marijuana was legalized in Colorado when voters approved an amendment to the state constitution in November 2012. Legal sales began Jan. 1.

But the lawsuit contends that requiring those involved in Colorado's legal marijuana industry to pay taxes could get them in trouble with the feds.

"They're open records, and they are admitting to a federal crime," Corry said. "It's still a federal crime to sell marijuana and I don't agree with that law, but it is the law."

Corry filed the suit on behalf of six individuals, two of whom use only pseudonyms in the complaint. Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, Denver Mayor Michael Hancock, the Denver Treasury Division and the state Department of Revenue are listed as defendants.

The suit uses the rationale that federal law takes precedence over state law: "The underlying rationale of the preemption doctrine is that the Supremacy Clause invalidates state laws that 'interfere with, or are contrary to, the laws of Congress.'"

"The fact that there are marijuana-specific taxes," Corry maintains, "puts every single one of these business owners and every single one of these consumers in danger of federal prosecution, potentially. That's a violation of the Fifth Amendment."

But when it comes to taxes, the federal government also is entitled to its share, explained Amanda Cruser, a Denver area tax attorney who once worked for the U.S. Department of Justice. "On the federal side, if you don't pay your income taxes and you don't pay your employment taxes, you're going to be subjecting yourself to criminal tax charges," she said.

The irony of the federal government collecting taxes on a substance illegal under federal law is not lost on federal drug task force head Tom Gorman.

"As far as I know, if the federal government takes money from a criminal enterprise, that's part of money laundering," Gorman said. "When they can seize the money because it's illegal but then to take it in and use the money, to me would be a violation of law in itself."

In an August 2013 press release, the Justice Department said it had notified Colorado and Washington (the two states that have legalized recreational marijuana) that it would essentially look the other way -- at least for now. "The Department has informed the governors of both states that it is deferring its right to challenge their legalization laws at this time," the statement said.

That stance has done little to clarify the situation since this and subsequent administrations would reserve the right to change that policy. The lack of certainty has left both opponents and proponents of marijuana legalization frustrated and confused.

"I think the federal government needs to make up its mind whether they have supremacy over state law, and then enforce that law," Gorman said. "It makes no sense. The federal government needs to step up and say if you wanna change it, change it in Congress not state by state."

Corry, a legalization advocate, agrees. "This question of the tension between federal law and state law is the question that confronts the marijuana community every day," he said. "Our governor has been essentially impotent. He should demand that Congress should do something about this and we hope this lawsuit, by depriving them from tax revenue, will cause that to happen."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/01/colorado-lawsuit-calls-for-tax-reductions-on-recreational-pot/?intcmp=latestnews

Does this really make sense as anything other than club owners trying to avoid paying taxes?  I mean, sure, they don't want to run into any future issues with having violated federal law but it's not like they're conducting business in a dark corner of the universe.  In other words, the federal government isn't going to need to depend on them paying taxes to prove they were selling weed when it's being done so openly.

BTW, wasn't there a somewhat similar issue that was cleared up lickety-split when banks were concerned violating federal law by letting these cannabis club owners deposit money?   Pretty sure it's back in this thread somewhere...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #433 on: July 08, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »
Open for business: Legal marijuana sales underway in Washington
By Dan Springer
Published July 08, 2014
FoxNews.com

Washington state’s marijuana industry is now open for business.

Twenty months after voters legalized recreational marijuana, the first pot stores are licensed and selling the drug. And business was already booming.

Amber McGowan, a manager at Cannabis City in Seattle, said she’s expecting to sell all 10 pounds in the store this first historic day.

“There’s definitely a market out there that would rather go the safe route, because a lot of people don’t like going to their dealer,” McGowan said. “The dealer is usually pretty shady.”

Washington state follows Colorado, which was the first to open pot retail stores on Jan. 1. Voters in both states legalized possession of up to an once of marijuana for recreational use in November 2012. Colorado was able to approve sales earlier because it licensed only medical marijuana shops that were already tightly regulated. Washington’s medical marijuana industry operates with very little government oversight.

Not everyone is celebrating. Dr. Leslie Walker, who practices at Seattle Children’s Hospital, sees negative consequences for society and especially young people.

“It’s the kids who will have short-term memory problems, kids who aren’t going to be able to get up in the morning to go to school,” Walker said.

Since pot became legal for adults in 2012, police have seen an increase in people smoking and driving. In the years leading up to legalization, the percentage of impaired drivers who had been high on marijuana held steady at 28 percent. Since then, 40 percent of impaired drivers tested positive for pot.

Hospitals also have seen an increase in adults seeking treatment after eating food laced with marijuana.

Because the edibles today have a much higher THC level than what was consumed in the 1960’s, Amber McGowan has a warning for her customers.

“If you’re not a regular user, take it in moderation. One puff is probably plenty and steer clear of edibles until you get a tolerance for it,” McGowan said.

Buyers will be limited initially by a tight supply. Cannabis City will limit customers to packets containing just two grams on opening day. Most growers that have been licensed expect their first harvest in late summer. The small supply means high prices. Pot will sell for $25 per gram, about double the street price. Four or five joints will cost $50.

The marijuana is heavily taxed at every step in the process. The government collects a 25 percent tax when growers sell it to processors, when processors sell it to retail stores and when stores sell it to consumers. Forty percent of the tax revenue will go into the state’s general fund. The rest will pay for prevention and drug treatment programs.

Outside Cannabis City, which was opening its doors at high noon, it was a low-key celebration among those first in line.

“It’s all about the freedom,” said Deb Greene of Seattle. “It’s all about not sneaking around buying it.”

Cal Jones has been smoking pot since 1965. “It’s a shame that people east of Colorado are still going to prison for it,” Jones said.

Other states may soon join Colorado and Washington’s lead. Voters in Alaska will vote on legalization in November. A ballot measure may also qualify in Oregon.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/08/open-for-business-legal-marijuana-sales-underway-in-washington/?intcmp=latestnews

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #434 on: July 09, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »
Obama Continues Plans to Oppose Legalization of Marijuana
Wednesday, 09 Jul 2014

Closely mirroring its past positions, the Obama administration's 2014 drug policy will focus tightly on curbing heroin use and prescription painkillers abuse while continuing to oppose the legalization of marijuana for medical and recreational use.

Officials are particularly concerned about preventing fatal overdoses, said Michael Botticelli, acting director of the White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy. He outlined the administration's blueprint at a news conference Wednesday at a drug treatment facility in Roanoke.

He acknowledged that the strategy does not substantially differ from past drug policy positions but said the White House is now focused "in-depth" on the problem associated with the abuse of opioids, which include heroin and painkillers.

"With the reports of increasing heroin use in many American communities, including right here in Virginia, we are growing increasingly concerned by the potential transition from prescription opioid abuse to heroin and injected drug use," Botticelli said.

In March, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder called the increase in heroin-related deaths an urgent health crisis and said first responders should carry Narcan, an overdose reversal drug. This year, actor Philip Seymour Hoffman died from a toxic mix of drugs including heroin and cocaine. In 2013, "Glee" actor Cory Monteith died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol.

Gail Burress, director of adult clinical services at Roanoke's Blue Ridge Behavioral Healthcare, where Wednesday's news conference was held, said there's been a "tremendous escalation" of heroin use in town, including among teenagers.

"It's risk-taking at a new level," she said.

Botticelli said he traveled to Roanoke to highlight its comprehensive efforts to curb drug abuse. He noted that Roanoke had the first drug court in Virginia and praised the city's police chief for implementing a program that allows first-time, non-violent drug offenders to avoid prison.

The news conference came one day after Washington became the second state, after Colorado, to allow people to buy recreational marijuana legally.

Botticelli said the White House's opposition to medicinal and recreational marijuana remains unchanged.

"Because quite honestly it sends the wrong message to our youth," he said.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Drug-Policy-obama-legalization/2014/07/09/id/581671#ixzz370ErV1B9

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #435 on: July 11, 2014, 12:52:14 PM »
New York Today: A Marijuana-Friendly Borough
By ANDY NEWMAN and ANNIE CORREAL 
JULY 9, 2014

Good morning on this fine Wednesday.

Marijuana is now effectively legal to possess in Brooklyn – at least for most people.

The district attorney, Kenneth P. Thompson, announced Tuesday that his office would not prosecute adults carrying up to two ounces of the drug unless there were aggravating factors.

Among them: having a significant criminal record or smoking in some public places or around children.

That is the will of the district attorney, over police objections. But what is the will of the people?

We unscientifically surveyed a dozen passers-by in front of the D.A.’s office and a police station.

A large majority backed the policy.

“I approve of it, as long as it’s not paraded in the streets, because of the little children,” said Irvin Diggs, 63, a handyman walking by the 79th Precinct station house in Bedford-Stuyvesant.

Sylvia Morse, 27, an urban planning graduate walking by the prosecutor’s office downtown, said that while the measure did not eliminate discriminatory police enforcement, “it provides a check and balance.”

(There will be a protest against arrest disparities outside City Hall today.)

Only two of the 12 people we talked to expressed reservations.

A 52-year-old named Ivette said the threshold was too lax. “Smaller quantities, maybe,” she said.

T. Salik, a former corrections officer, said, “You can’t walk down the street with an open container of alcohol. Why should you be able to smoke marijuana openly?”

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/09/new-york-today-a-marijuana-friendly-borough/

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #436 on: July 11, 2014, 01:11:06 PM »
Obama Continues Plans to Oppose Legalization of Marijuana
Wednesday, 09 Jul 2014

Closely mirroring its past positions, the Obama administration's 2014 drug policy will focus tightly on curbing heroin use and prescription painkillers abuse while continuing to oppose the legalization of marijuana for medical and recreational use.

Officials are particularly concerned about preventing fatal overdoses, said Michael Botticelli, acting director of the White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy. He outlined the administration's blueprint at a news conference Wednesday at a drug treatment facility in Roanoke.

He acknowledged that the strategy does not substantially differ from past drug policy positions but said the White House is now focused "in-depth" on the problem associated with the abuse of opioids, which include heroin and painkillers.

"With the reports of increasing heroin use in many American communities, including right here in Virginia, we are growing increasingly concerned by the potential transition from prescription opioid abuse to heroin and injected drug use," Botticelli said.

In March, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder called the increase in heroin-related deaths an urgent health crisis and said first responders should carry Narcan, an overdose reversal drug. This year, actor Philip Seymour Hoffman died from a toxic mix of drugs including heroin and cocaine. In 2013, "Glee" actor Cory Monteith died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol.

Gail Burress, director of adult clinical services at Roanoke's Blue Ridge Behavioral Healthcare, where Wednesday's news conference was held, said there's been a "tremendous escalation" of heroin use in town, including among teenagers.

"It's risk-taking at a new level," she said.

Botticelli said he traveled to Roanoke to highlight its comprehensive efforts to curb drug abuse. He noted that Roanoke had the first drug court in Virginia and praised the city's police chief for implementing a program that allows first-time, non-violent drug offenders to avoid prison.

The news conference came one day after Washington became the second state, after Colorado, to allow people to buy recreational marijuana legally.

Botticelli said the White House's opposition to medicinal and recreational marijuana remains unchanged.

"Because quite honestly it sends the wrong message to our youth," he said.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Drug-Policy-obama-legalization/2014/07/09/id/581671#ixzz370ErV1B9

Governments message:  Don't worry youth, just wait until you are 21, then you drink a 5th of JD, beat up your wife and crash your car into a school bus..... If that's not your thing, have a cigarette. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #437 on: July 11, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »
Governments message:  Don't worry youth, just wait until you are 21, then you drink a 5th of JD, beat up your wife and crash your car into a school bus..... If that's not your thing, have a cigarette. 

And die of lung cancer.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #438 on: July 11, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »
And die of lung cancer.

Or appear in one of those commercials......

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #439 on: July 11, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »
Or appear in one of those commercials......

With a hole in their throat . . .

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #440 on: July 13, 2014, 05:38:55 PM »

After 20 Years in Prison, Missouri Man Serving Life Without Parole for Marijuana Asks Governor for Clemency

For the past 20 years, Chris Mizanskey, now 33, has had to go to prison to see his father. But his dad, Jeff, is not a murderer or a rapist. He was, however, busted for possession of about five pounds of pot, his third marijuana-related felony. And in Missouri, if you get three drug felonies, even if it's just marijuana, you can get life without parole.

Meanwhile, during the past two decades, Chris has seen a sea change in marijuana laws, as several states have legal pot for medicine and two states have it for recreational use. So lately he has been wondering why his dad is sentenced to die in prison for something that most of America considers harmless -- and he wants Missouri Governor Jay Nixon to address his concerns by granting his father clemency.

"I think twenty years is more than enough," Chris tells Daily RFT. "My dad never hurt anybody. He never killed anybody. He made some mistakes, but he's paid more than enough."

Jeff's troubles began on December 18, 1993, when he drove his friend, Atilano Quintana, to a Super 8 motel in Sedalia to meet two men. Jeff says he thought they were going to meet two men to discuss moving furniture to New Mexico for Quintana's sister, who had recently moved there. To this day, he claims he had no clue Quintana was going there to buy a few pounds of marijuana.

And Quintana didn't know that the two friends who were in the motel with the brick of weed had just been busted the day before -- with thirteen bricks of marijuana -- and were coerced to participate in a sting operation to nab more buyers, which is why there were cops and surveillance equipment in the adjoining room. You can guess what happened next.

Although Quintana was in possession of the package when he and Jeff were arrested and the surveillance video clearly suggests he was the one making the purchase, he was given a ten-year sentence for possession with intent to distribute, a Class B felony.

For the same charge, Jeff, who was busted in 1984 for selling an ounce of pot to an undercover cop and again in 1991 for possession of more than 35 grams of marijuana, got life without parole. He had never before done prison time, never had a violent offense, and his pot convictions did not have aggravating factors, such as involving minors or an illegal firearm. But none of that mattered because of an archaic Missouri law.

Jeff was convicted under Missouri's "prior and persistent drug offender" statute, a Three Strikes-like statute that permits a court to hand out a life-without-parole sentence to somebody with three nonviolent drug offenses. But Missouri's law is unique in that it doesn't require at least one violent offense to lock up a person for life, whereas most states' habitual-offender laws do. California requires at least one violent offense. So does Georgia. And even Alabama, which doesn't require a distinction between violent and nonviolent felonies, paroled a man who had initially received a life without parole sentence for three nonviolent felonies -- the third of which happened to be a selling-marijuana conviction.

But when it comes to pot, Missouri can be stricter than Georgia or Alabama -- and Jeff Mizanskey might never get out of prison. 

Jeff has tried the appeals process, but his family has been unable to afford private counsel, and he has either filed his own appeals or depended on overworked public defenders. Unsurprisingly, the appeals went nowhere.

More here:
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2013/10/missouri_man_serving_life_in_p.php?page=2

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #441 on: July 14, 2014, 12:03:43 PM »
After 20 Years in Prison, Missouri Man Serving Life Without Parole for Marijuana Asks Governor for Clemency

For the past 20 years, Chris Mizanskey, now 33, has had to go to prison to see his father. But his dad, Jeff, is not a murderer or a rapist. He was, however, busted for possession of about five pounds of pot, his third marijuana-related felony. And in Missouri, if you get three drug felonies, even if it's just marijuana, you can get life without parole.

Meanwhile, during the past two decades, Chris has seen a sea change in marijuana laws, as several states have legal pot for medicine and two states have it for recreational use. So lately he has been wondering why his dad is sentenced to die in prison for something that most of America considers harmless -- and he wants Missouri Governor Jay Nixon to address his concerns by granting his father clemency.

"I think twenty years is more than enough," Chris tells Daily RFT. "My dad never hurt anybody. He never killed anybody. He made some mistakes, but he's paid more than enough."

Jeff's troubles began on December 18, 1993, when he drove his friend, Atilano Quintana, to a Super 8 motel in Sedalia to meet two men. Jeff says he thought they were going to meet two men to discuss moving furniture to New Mexico for Quintana's sister, who had recently moved there. To this day, he claims he had no clue Quintana was going there to buy a few pounds of marijuana.

And Quintana didn't know that the two friends who were in the motel with the brick of weed had just been busted the day before -- with thirteen bricks of marijuana -- and were coerced to participate in a sting operation to nab more buyers, which is why there were cops and surveillance equipment in the adjoining room. You can guess what happened next.

Although Quintana was in possession of the package when he and Jeff were arrested and the surveillance video clearly suggests he was the one making the purchase, he was given a ten-year sentence for possession with intent to distribute, a Class B felony.

For the same charge, Jeff, who was busted in 1984 for selling an ounce of pot to an undercover cop and again in 1991 for possession of more than 35 grams of marijuana, got life without parole. He had never before done prison time, never had a violent offense, and his pot convictions did not have aggravating factors, such as involving minors or an illegal firearm. But none of that mattered because of an archaic Missouri law.

Jeff was convicted under Missouri's "prior and persistent drug offender" statute, a Three Strikes-like statute that permits a court to hand out a life-without-parole sentence to somebody with three nonviolent drug offenses. But Missouri's law is unique in that it doesn't require at least one violent offense to lock up a person for life, whereas most states' habitual-offender laws do. California requires at least one violent offense. So does Georgia. And even Alabama, which doesn't require a distinction between violent and nonviolent felonies, paroled a man who had initially received a life without parole sentence for three nonviolent felonies -- the third of which happened to be a selling-marijuana conviction.

But when it comes to pot, Missouri can be stricter than Georgia or Alabama -- and Jeff Mizanskey might never get out of prison. 

Jeff has tried the appeals process, but his family has been unable to afford private counsel, and he has either filed his own appeals or depended on overworked public defenders. Unsurprisingly, the appeals went nowhere.

More here:
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2013/10/missouri_man_serving_life_in_p.php?page=2

This story is from October 2013.  Here is a more recent link, although it doesn't look like much has changed for him. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/11/missouri-man-serving-life-in-prison-for-pot-while-some-states-have-legalized-it/

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #442 on: July 14, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »
This story is from October 2013.  Here is a more recent link, although it doesn't look like much has changed for him. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/11/missouri-man-serving-life-in-prison-for-pot-while-some-states-have-legalized-it/

Thanks for the more recent link. 

Though not much has changed since Oct 2013 for the poor Missouri man serving life solely for non-violent marijuana offenses, there have been some changes in the marijuana laws in the rest of the country:
- Recreational use of MJ was legalized in Portland, Maine.
- Medical marijuana legalized in the states of Maryland, Minnesota, and New York.  (Bringing total # of states where MMJ is legal to 24.)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #443 on: July 14, 2014, 08:24:13 PM »
Washington's legal marijuana sales rake in nearly $150,000 in taxes in first few days
Associated Press
on July 11, 2014

SEATTLE — Washington will haul in nearly $150,000 in excise taxes from the first three days of legal marijuana sales — and that doesn't include state and local sales taxes.

Randy Simmons, the Liquor Control Board's project manager for legal pot, says that's not bad, considering the market is in its infancy, with only a few stores open statewide.

The law voters passed in 2012 to legalize pot for adults specifies that excise taxes of 25 percent are imposed when producers sell their product to licensed retail stores, and another 25 percent is imposed when shops sell to consumers.

All excise taxes due from the first day of sales Tuesday totaled $61,604. The figure dipped to $30,924 on Wednesday, and rose to $55,728 on Thursday, for a total of $148,256.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2014/07/3-day_tax_haul_from_washington.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #444 on: July 15, 2014, 09:22:59 AM »
lol @ the "rake in nearly $150,000" headline.  What is that, like one tenth of one percent of their GET for the year? 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #445 on: July 15, 2014, 10:09:21 AM »
lol @ the "rake in nearly $150,000" headline.  What is that, like one tenth of one percent of their GET for the year? 

I had similar thoughts when I read that, too. 

Then I read that the 150G's represents 3 days' worth of business from only 6 stores currently open statewide.  And those numbers don't include sales tax. 

To be clear, 25 businesses have apparently received licenses to sell MJ, but only a handful were ready to do so during the first few days that it was legal.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #446 on: July 15, 2014, 10:18:55 AM »
I had similar thoughts when I read that, too. 

Then I read that the 150G's represents 3 days' worth of business from only 6 stores currently open statewide.  And those numbers don't include sales tax. 

To be clear, 25 businesses have apparently received licenses to sell MJ, but only a handful were ready to do so during the first few days that it was legal.

Ok?  It's still a nominal amount. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #447 on: July 15, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »
Ok?  It's still a nominal amount. 

Why ya gotta rain on their parade? 

Is that Washington state not rainy and depressed enough?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #448 on: July 15, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »
Why ya gotta rain on their parade? 

Is that Washington state not rainy and depressed enough?

Washington is beautiful.  I was there several months ago.  Got to go up the Space Needle.  Very nice. 

But the $150k is pretty meaningless. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #449 on: July 15, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »
Washington is beautiful.  I was there several months ago.  Got to go up the Space Needle.  Very nice. 

But the $150k is pretty meaningless. 

A small sum?  Yes.

Meaningless?  No, I disagree.  Considering how many states are running a deficit, it's not meaningless.

What it means, if nothing else, is that legalized MJ is a gov't money-maker that's being missed out on in states where it's not being taxed. 

Because, let's face it, whether it's legal or not, people are spending a lot of money on weed.