Author Topic: Legalized Marijuana and the Crime Question  (Read 144912 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: Legalized Marijuana and the Crime Question
« Reply #525 on: December 16, 2014, 12:24:27 PM »
Oh brother.  I have the good fortune to interact with a lot of very smart people from all different professions and education levels.  None of them act like you.  That's one of the hallmarks of people who are very intelligent:  they don't have to tell anyone.  Same with people who have a high net worth and/or high income.  It's obvious.  You?  You're trying too hard.  And it's not working.  You come across as a little kid sometimes.   

No, this message board is not real life, and the only reason I keep responding is I'm a little bored and have a little time on my hands.  And it's entertaining.   

And stop crying already.  Nobody is assassinating your character.   ::)  I didn't call you bad person.  I simply said you have an undeserved overly inflated ego and I'm not impressed by your proclaimed intellect. 

Nothing in my PMs.  Don't send me any gay pictures.  You got the wrong dude. 

no where in this thread did I talk about being smart, again this is a message board perhaps you should take your own advice? this is not a professional setting. You always go back to this "i know such and such, the doctors I converse with etc". You claimed you would take the advice of the "doctors" you know over mine regarding ebola, who has egg on their face now? I only care about truth, correctness, you like to believe things that make you feel good or that fit in with your bias. That's a sign of low intellect and just in case you lack comprehension, that isn't me making a claim about myself, but one of you.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #526 on: December 16, 2014, 12:59:20 PM »
no where in this thread did I talk about being smart, again this is a message board perhaps you should take your own advice? this is not a professional setting. You always go back to this "i know such and such, the doctors I converse with etc". You claimed you would take the advice of the "doctors" you know over mine regarding ebola, who has egg on their face now? I only care about truth, correctness, you like to believe things that make you feel good or that fit in with your bias. That's a sign of low intellect and just in case you lack comprehension, that isn't me making a claim about myself, but one of you.

You must be high.  No, wait, you probably are high.  lol

You constantly beat your chest on here when talking to people about how you have "owned" them.  How juvenile is that? 

I always talk about the smart people I interact with.  I love it, because they are smarter than me, and they make me a smarter person. You?  You're just an internet troll that I find mildly entertaining.   

Yes, I will listen to what my doctor friends say over above some Canadian on a message board.  They are smarter than you.   

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #527 on: December 16, 2014, 01:31:46 PM »
You must be high.  No, wait, you probably are high.  lol

You constantly beat your chest on here when talking to people about how you have "owned" them.  How juvenile is that? 

I always talk about the smart people I interact with.  I love it, because they are smarter than me, and they make me a smarter person. You?  You're just an internet troll that I find mildly entertaining.   

Yes, I will listen to what my doctor friends say over above some Canadian on a message board.  They are smarter than you.   

Nothing juvenile about an owning, if anything being owned by another grown man should make you feel juvenile. Your thoughts are childish, this gay thing for example, it is absurd to suggest they are choosing it and you are not. It's also ok to be juvenile in the right context, see how tomy told me to save a gay kid from being bullied? juvenile or clever?

Your friends were dead wrong, I was one hundred percent right. Yes, they all seem super intelligent, getting things completely wrong is a sign of genius ::)

I doubt you listen to what anyone says, you believe evolution is a lie (despite overwhelming facts), you think the world is 6000 years old, despite that being demonstrably false. Perhaps you are projecting your own juvenile cognitive patterns onto me, I am not the one who believes in talking snakes and noah's ark.

I only commented on the gay thing because scumbags like you make it hard for people struggling with these issues, hearing that they are choosing it when they have no control over attraction can be damaging. Does that sound juvenile to you?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #528 on: December 16, 2014, 01:40:15 PM »
Nothing juvenile about an owning, if anything being owned by another grown man should make you feel juvenile. Your thoughts are childish, this gay thing for example, it is absurd to suggest they are choosing it and you are not. It's also ok to be juvenile in the right context, see how tomy told me to save a gay kid from being bullied? juvenile or clever?

Your friends were dead wrong, I was one hundred percent right. Yes, they all seem super intelligent, getting things completely wrong is a sign of genius ::)

I doubt you listen to what anyone says, you believe evolution is a lie (despite overwhelming facts), you think the world is 6000 years old, despite that being demonstrably false. Perhaps you are projecting your own juvenile cognitive patterns onto me, I am not the one who believes in talking snakes and noah's ark.

I only commented on the gay thing because scumbags like you make it hard for people struggling with these issues, hearing that they are choosing it when they have no control over attraction can be damaging. Does that sound juvenile to you?

Yes you sound like a juvenile.  I should add: a not-too-bright juvenile.  You don't impress me. 

You also have a hard time staying on topic.  It's ok though.  I deal with people like you with short attention spans all the time.  lol

My friends were right.  Nothing they said to me was false. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #529 on: December 16, 2014, 01:52:28 PM »
Yes you sound like a juvenile.  I should add: a not-too-bright juvenile.  You don't impress me. 

You also have a hard time staying on topic.  It's ok though.  I deal with people like you with short attention spans all the time.  lol

My friends were right.  Nothing they said to me was false. 

::)

take this L like a man.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #530 on: December 16, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #531 on: December 16, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #532 on: December 17, 2014, 05:52:41 PM »
Congress quietly ends federal government's ban on medical marijuana

Under a provision in the spending bill passed by Congress over the weekend, states where medical marijuana is legal would no longer need to worry about federal drug agents raiding retail operations. Agents would be prohibited from doing so. (Robert F. Bukaty / Associated Press)
By EVAN HALPER contact the reporter Nation Politics and Government

Tucked deep inside the 1,603-page federal spending measure is a provision that effectively ends the federal government's prohibition on medical marijuana and signals a major shift in drug policy.

The bill's passage over the weekend marks the first time Congress has approved nationally significant legislation backed by legalization advocates. It brings almost to a close two decades of tension between the states and Washington over medical use of marijuana.

Under the provision, states where medical pot is legal would no longer need to worry about federal drug agents raiding retail operations. Agents would be prohibited from doing so.

The Obama administration has largely followed that rule since last year as a matter of policy. But the measure approved as part of the spending bill, which President Obama plans to sign this week, will codify it as a matter of law.

Pot advocates had lobbied Congress to embrace the administration's policy, which they warned was vulnerable to revision under a less tolerant future administration.

More important, from the standpoint of activists, Congress' action marked the emergence of a new alliance in marijuana politics: Republicans are taking a prominent role in backing states' right to allow use of a drug the federal government still officially classifies as more dangerous than cocaine.

"This is a victory for so many," said the measure's coauthor, Republican Rep. Dana Rohrabacher of Costa Mesa. The measure's approval, he said, represents "the first time in decades that the federal government has curtailed its oppressive prohibition of marijuana."

By now, 32 states and the District of Columbia have legalized pot or its ingredients to treat ailments, a movement that began in the 1990s. Even back then, some states had been approving broader decriminalization measures for two decades.

The war on medical marijuana is over. Now the fight moves on to legalization of all marijuana.
- Bill Piper, a lobbyist with the Drug Policy Alliance

The medical marijuana movement has picked up considerable momentum in recent years. The Drug Enforcement Administration, however, continues to place marijuana in the most dangerous category of narcotics, with no accepted medical use.

Congress for years had resisted calls to allow states to chart their own path on pot. The marijuana measure, which forbids the federal government from using any of its resources to impede state medical marijuana laws, was previously rejected half a dozen times. When Washington, D.C., voters approved medical marijuana in 1998, Congress used its authority over the city's affairs to block the law from taking effect for 11 years.

Even as Congress has shifted ground on medical marijuana, lawmakers remain uneasy about full legalization. A separate amendment to the spending package, tacked on at the behest of anti-marijuana crusader Rep. Andy Harris (R-Md.), will jeopardize the legalization of recreational pot in Washington, D.C., which voters approved last month.

Marijuana proponents nonetheless said they felt more confident than ever that Congress was drifting toward their point of view.

"The war on medical marijuana is over," said Bill Piper, a lobbyist with the Drug Policy Alliance, who called the move historic.

"Now the fight moves on to legalization of all marijuana," he said. "This is the strongest signal we have received from Congress [that] the politics have really shifted. ... Congress has been slow to catch up with the states and American people, but it is catching up."

The measure, which Rohrabacher championed with Rep. Sam Farr, a Democrat from Carmel, had the support of large numbers of Democrats for years. Enough Republicans joined them this year to put it over the top. When the House first passed the measure earlier this year, 49 Republicans voted aye.

Some Republicans are pivoting off their traditional anti-drug platform at a time when most voters live in states where medical marijuana is legal, in many cases as a result of ballot measures.

Polls show that while Republican voters are far less likely than the broader public to support outright legalization, they favor allowing marijuana for medical use by a commanding majority. Legalization also has great appeal to millennials, a demographic group with which Republicans are aggressively trying to make inroads.

Approval of the pot measure comes after the Obama administration directed federal prosecutors last year to stop enforcing drug laws that contradict state marijuana policies. Since then, federal raids of marijuana merchants and growers who are operating legally in their states have been limited to those accused of other violations, such as money laundering.

"The federal government should never get in between patients and their medicine," said Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Oakland).

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-medical-pot-20141216-story.html

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #533 on: December 17, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »
Gonna burn one down now to celebrate the good news!!!
?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #534 on: December 30, 2014, 02:33:55 PM »
Marijuana use has increased in Colorado, study shows
Published December 26, 2014
Associated Press

DENVER –  Colorado emerged as the state with the second-highest percentage of regular marijuana users as it began legalizing the drug, according to a new national study.

The Denver Post reports the study by the National Survey on Drug Use and Health found about 1 out of 8 Colorado residents older than 12 had used marijuana in the past month. Only Rhode Island topped Colorado in the percentage of residents who reported using pot as often, according to the study.

The study averaged state-specific data over two-year periods. It found that, for the 2011-2012 period, 10.4 percent of Colorado residents 12 and older said they had used pot in the month before being surveyed. That number jumped to 12.7 percent in the 2012-2013 data. That means about 530,000 people in Colorado use marijuana at least once a month, according to the results.

Nationally, about 7.4 percent of people 12 and older reported monthly marijuana use. That's an increase of about 4 percent.

In Washington state, which also legalized marijuana use and limited possession for adults, monthly pot use rose about 20 percent to 12.3 percent of people 12 and older.

The survey is among the first to quantify pot use in Colorado since late 2012, when voters approved legal pot use and possession for those over 21. But the survey did not analyze data from 2014, when recreational marijuana shops opened, which means it is not a good indication of the effect of commercial sales on marijuana use.

"I don't think this tells us about the long-term impacts of legalization," said University of California, Los Angeles, professor Mark Kleiman, who studies marijuana policy. The number of medical marijuana patients in Colorado rose over the same time period, so the results are not surprising, Kleiman said.

He told The Post that researchers will have a better idea about pot use in the first state to legalize recreational sales of the drug once they can focus on data showing how many people use pot daily.

"The fraction of people who are monthly users who are in fact daily users has gone way, way up," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/26/marijuana-use-has-increased-in-colorado-study-shows/?intcmp=latestnews

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #535 on: December 30, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »
Marijuana use has increased in Colorado, study shows
Published December 26, 2014
Associated Press

DENVER –  Colorado emerged as the state with the second-highest percentage of regular marijuana users as it began legalizing the drug, according to a new national study.

The Denver Post reports the study by the National Survey on Drug Use and Health found about 1 out of 8 Colorado residents older than 12 had used marijuana in the past month. Only Rhode Island topped Colorado in the percentage of residents who reported using pot as often, according to the study.

The study averaged state-specific data over two-year periods. It found that, for the 2011-2012 period, 10.4 percent of Colorado residents 12 and older said they had used pot in the month before being surveyed. That number jumped to 12.7 percent in the 2012-2013 data. That means about 530,000 people in Colorado use marijuana at least once a month, according to the results.

Nationally, about 7.4 percent of people 12 and older reported monthly marijuana use. That's an increase of about 4 percent.

In Washington state, which also legalized marijuana use and limited possession for adults, monthly pot use rose about 20 percent to 12.3 percent of people 12 and older.

The survey is among the first to quantify pot use in Colorado since late 2012, when voters approved legal pot use and possession for those over 21. But the survey did not analyze data from 2014, when recreational marijuana shops opened, which means it is not a good indication of the effect of commercial sales on marijuana use.

"I don't think this tells us about the long-term impacts of legalization," said University of California, Los Angeles, professor Mark Kleiman, who studies marijuana policy. The number of medical marijuana patients in Colorado rose over the same time period, so the results are not surprising, Kleiman said.

He told The Post that researchers will have a better idea about pot use in the first state to legalize recreational sales of the drug once they can focus on data showing how many people use pot daily.

"The fraction of people who are monthly users who are in fact daily users has gone way, way up," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/26/marijuana-use-has-increased-in-colorado-study-shows/?intcmp=latestnews

This is a retarded study. did you look at the years? it is completely meaningless, they have no comparison data, this isn't due to legalization obviously.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #536 on: December 30, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
This is a retarded study. did you look at the years? it is completely meaningless, they have no comparison data, this isn't due to legalization obviously.

Are you suggesting that if they include 2014 data after recreational marijuana use was legalized, that marijuana use would decrease? 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #537 on: December 30, 2014, 06:40:24 PM »
Are you suggesting that if they include 2014 data after recreational marijuana use was legalized, that marijuana use would decrease? 

no, I never even hinted at that.

The study conclusions are useless, it shows that more people smoke weed as legalization was approaching, I would suggest what you said is sensible, I doubt it was enforced legally, the chatter, stores setting up would all lead to that. Who wouldn't see this outcome? People who would like to use but won't interact with "drug dealers" can now get it, this population alone will jack the data up.

If they were hoping to learn anything about legalized marijauna and epidemiological data they choose the wrong year, one in which it was illegal, thus the data is bunk.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #538 on: December 31, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »
no, I never even hinted at that.

The study conclusions are useless, it shows that more people smoke weed as legalization was approaching, I would suggest what you said is sensible, I doubt it was enforced legally, the chatter, stores setting up would all lead to that. Who wouldn't see this outcome? People who would like to use but won't interact with "drug dealers" can now get it, this population alone will jack the data up.

If they were hoping to learn anything about legalized marijauna and epidemiological data they choose the wrong year, one in which it was illegal, thus the data is bunk.

I can see where it has value.  If marijuana use in Colorado increased after voters approved legal pot use and possession for those over 21, then it stands to reason that legalization of recreational marijuana use shops will lead to an increase in use as well.  Not exactly earth shattering news. 

I do think it's troubling that a number of users appear to include those in ages 12 to 21. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #539 on: December 31, 2014, 03:24:51 PM »
I can see where it has value.  If marijuana use in Colorado increased after voters approved legal pot use and possession for those over 21, then it stands to reason that legalization of recreational marijuana use shops will lead to an increase in use as well.  Not exactly earth shattering news. 

I do think it's troubling that a number of users appear to include those in ages 12 to 21. 

Yes, just based on it's functions in the body the endocannabinoid system shouldn't be fucked with in youth. It does have the potential to induce cognitive dysfunction.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #540 on: December 31, 2014, 07:19:05 PM »
(During sex) "...90 percent of women reported that marijuana increased feelings of sexual pleasure and satisfaction to varying degrees, and 40 percent of women reported that marijuana increased the quality of their orgasm."

Sex and Marijuana
What are the Sexual Effects of Marijuana?

Marijuana comes from the hemp plant called cannabis sativa, and has long been considered to have aphrodisiac qualities and various sex effects, both positive and negative. Mention of the sex effects of marijuana can be found in the Arabian Nights, and is recognized in Ayurveda medicine. Marijuana has also been associated with the practice of Tantra.

As you read the pros and cons of marijuana and sex below, keep in mind that drug effects are rarely simple, and there is no true “wonder drug” that will give you every benefit without any drawback (or vice versa). Also, because sex is more than just a physiological process, drugs may impact your psychological and social experience of sex in unpredictable ways.

Does marijuana make sex better?

• At lower doses, marijuana may alter how you sense and perceive sexual stimuli in ways that enhance sex. People report that their awareness of touch is heightened, and their perception of time can change. So things "feel" better, and sex seems to go on longer as well.
  • For men, marijuana may shift attention away from their usual focus on the penis. In one survey of 800 men, 83 percent found that marijuana enhanced sexual pleasure, but this was unrelated to their erections or ejaculatory control.
  • In another study, 75 percent of men said that marijuana increased sexual pleasure and satisfaction, 68 percent reported that it enhanced their orgasm, and 39 percent found that it increased the duration of intercourse.
  • Women are even more likely than men to report enhanced sexual desire with marijuana use. In one study, 90 percent of women reported that marijuana increased feelings of sexual pleasure and satisfaction to varying degrees, and 40 percent of women reported that marijuana increased the quality of their orgasm.

The Bottom Line: While we don’t know why marijuana has positive effects on sexual satisfaction in men and women, research and anecdotal evidence consistently show that in small doses, there are perceived positive effects. Lab research on animals offers contradictory results.

More at: http://sexuality.about.com/od/sex_and_drugs/a/marijuana_sex.htm

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #541 on: January 14, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »
Feinstein, Grassley Up in Arms Over Legalized Pot
Wednesday, 14 Jan 2015
By Jennifer G. Hickey

In November, Oregon, Alaska and the District of Columbia became the latest states to approve the legalization of marijuana, but those laws may place them at odds with international law, according to two members of the Senate.

On Jan. 6, Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California and Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa raised their concern with Secretary of State John Kerry and Attorney General Eric Holder that the Obama administration's decision to permit Colorado, Washington and other states to proceed with legalizing recreational marijuana not only violates federal law, but U.S. obligations under the United Nations Convention on Narcotics.

"The Department of Justice's decision to allow these state laws to take effect has put the United States in the difficult position of defending its compliance with the treaties," they wrote, adding that the nation's position as a global leader against drugs "has been weakened" by the decision.

In 2013, the Justice Department issued a clarification of federal drug policy and said that it was deferring its right to challenge legalization laws to the states.

"These approaches threaten to weaken U.S. standing as an international leader on drug control issues and may undermine the international treaties the United States and other countries have signed," Grassley said in a press release about the letters.

The letter sets a deadline of Feb. 1 for Kerry to clarify the State Department’s interpretation of the treaties.

Their concerns are shared by United Nations officials, who spoke out after Assistant Secretary of State William Brownfield called for a "flexible interpretation" of UN Drug Control Conventions last October.

Brownfield told reporters that nations should "accept the fact that some countries will have very strict drug approaches" and "we must have some tolerance for those differing" policies.

After the November elections, Yury Fedotov, executive director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, said he did not "see how [the new laws] can be compatible with existing conventions," according to Reuters.

While they differ on the merits of liberalizing drug laws, Tom Angell of the Marijuana Majority agrees with the senators that there is an inconsistency.

"When the U.S. has legal marijuana, it makes it difficult for U.S. officials to go around the world and say they should continue to prohibit marijuana," he told The Washington Post.

Angell also agrees with the senators' request for the Justice Department to put together by Feb. 15 a plan to compile information on the impact of legalization "disaggregated by state and comparable over time, so that data before and after the legalization of marijuana can be compared."

Feinstein and Grassley, who serve as co-chairs of the Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control, have worked together before on anti-drug efforts and released a report in December outlining recommendations on ways to counter illicit activities and corruption surrounding the Afghan drug trade.

http://www.Newsmax.com/Newsfront/Dianne-Feinstein-Chuck-Grassley-marijuana-John-Kerry/2015/01/14/id/618566/#ixzz3Op2dMJ3b

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #542 on: January 23, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »
Governor: Legalizing pot was bad idea
By Kevin Cirilli - 01/23/15

Colorado’s decision to legalize marijuana was a bad idea, the state’s governor said Friday.

Gov. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat who opposed the 2012 decision by voters to make pot legal, said the state still doesn’t fully know what the unintended consequences of the move will be.

“If I could've waved a wand the day after the election, I would've reversed the election and said, 'This was a bad idea,’ ” Hickenlooper said Friday on CNBC's “Squawk Box.”

“You don't want to be the first person to do something like this,” he said.

He said that he tells other governors to “wait a couple of years” before legalizing marijuana as Colorado continues to navigate an unknown, nonexisting federal regulatory landscape for the industry.

“There's a whole regulatory environment ... that really regulates alcohol,” he said. “We're starting from scratch, and we don't have a federal partner because [marijuana] is still illegal federally.”

In February 2014, the Obama administration released guidelines for the marijuana industry indicating federal officials would not target financial institutions or businesses engaging in selling pot as long as those businesses were compliant with state laws.

Despite the guidelines, banks are reluctant to finance marijuana businesses in states where it is legal because federal law still lists marijuana as an illegal drug. Congress would need to pass a law removing that language.

Marijuana is legal in four states: Colorado, Oregon, Alaska and Washington. Congress has blocked the District of Columbia from legalizing pot, after voters in November cast ballots that they wanted to make the drug legal.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/230511-colorado-governor-legalizing-pot-was-bad-idea

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #543 on: January 26, 2015, 07:49:27 AM »
Pediatric Academy Now Says Medical Marijuana May Help Some Ill Kids
BY BILL BRIGGS

Marijuana use should be decriminalized and federal officials should reclassify cannabis as a less dangerous drug to spur vital medical research, the leading group of U.S. pediatricians recommended Monday.

In an update to its 2004 policy statement on pot, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) also recognized marijuana may be a treatment option for kids "with life-limiting or severely debilitating conditions for whom current therapies are inadequate."

That new stance is welcome news to some 200 families with ill children who recently moved to Colorado — where marijuana is legal for adults — in searches for last-ditch cures. Those remedies include the pot strain called Charlotte's Web, which anecdotally has been shown to control seizures in some kids.

"We don't want to marginalize families who feel like this is the only option for their child because of crisis," said Dr. Sharon Levy, chair of AAP's committee on substance abuse and assistant professor of pediatrics at Harvard Medical School. She was one of the statement's co-authors.

Media accounts of medical-marijuana refugees in Colorado have given doctors "reason to suspect" that cannabinoids — the chemical compounds secreted by cannabis flowers — might have anticonvulsant properties, Levy said.

Charlotte's Web, for example, is selectively bred to contain low levels of the cannabinoid THC, which causes people to feel high, but elevated levels of cannabidiol, or CBD, which does not have psychoactive effects. In one medical trial, CBD was shown to be possibly effective in treating people with Parkinson's disease, though more study is needed, scientists have said.

"We understand why a desperate parent might say, 'Look it's going to take 10 years to do this research.' We think that kind of compassionate use should be limited to children who are truly debilitated or at the end of life," Levy said in an interview with NBC News. Asked to list those debilitating illnesses, Levy cited severe seizure disorders.

The AAP remains otherwise opposed to marijuana use among children and adolescents through the age of 21, and it continues to stand against the broader legalization of pot.

"The black market dealer will sell to anyone. We don't. While we can agree with the academy that marijuana may be harmful to children, (cannabis) prohibition has failed to keep our children safe." — Michael Elliott, executive director of the Marijuana Industry Group.

But the pediatricians' group will now suggest that the federal government change marijuana from a Schedule I illegal drug (where it's classified along side heroin) to a Schedule II controlled substance, Levy said. The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration lists Adderall or Ritalin as examples of Schedule II drugs.

That change would facilitate a needed, new wave of cannabinoid research, the academy contends.

"There's never been a study of cannabinoids in any form that has included children. With that in mind, the AAP cannot endorse use of cannabinoid medication with children," Levy said. "We do note, though, there have been anecdotal cases that look promising. And that suggests there's a need for study.

"We support reducing the barriers to do that."

In addition, the academy said it now "strongly supports" the decriminalization of marijuana use — and encourages pediatricians "to advocate for laws that prevent harsh criminal penalties for possession or use of marijuana."

The group's revised policies will be published in the March issue of the journal Pediatrics.

In 18 states, the punishments for marijuana possession have been made far less punitive, though pot use remains illegal. While those shifts are not applicable to adolescents, they "are intended to address and reduce the long-term effects that felony charges can have on youth and young adults," the academy noted.

Meanwhile, with medical-marijuana dispensaries operating legally in 23 states and the District of Columbia, the academy remains concerned that the shops are "very lightly regulated, and are run and staffed by people who don't necessarily have a lot of medical training," Levy said.

And the academy is aware of a slight increase in the number of U.S. kids who find and eat pot-infused candies and other treats sold at dispensaries.

During the first half of 2014 in Colorado, 14 children aged 3 to 7 were brought to emergency rooms to be treated for accidental ingestions of marijuana — compared to eight such cases during 2013 and an annual average of four cases from 2008 to 2012, reports the anti-legalization group Smart Approaches to Marijuana.

"A lot of that is quote-unquote medical marijuana that people are buying from medical marijuana shops in the form of cookies and candies, and kids are getting into that," Levy said.

"We've even been seeing some lookalikes to popular products that are very attractive to kids — for example, instead of a Klondike Bar, there's a Krondike Bar," Levy said.

Dispensary employees do check the identifications of patrons to ensure they are 21 or older, and they routinely teach parents and other adults how to properly keep pot and cannabis-infused edibles out of the hands of children, said Michael Elliott, executive director of the Marijuana Industry Group, a trade association.

"Our industry doesn't sell to those who shouldn't have this product. Our industry is involved in numerous public education campaigns and we talk to our customers about responsible use and storage," Elliott said.

"The black market dealer will sell to anyone. We don't. While we can agree with the academy that marijuana may be harmful to children, (cannabis) prohibition has failed to keep our children safe," Elliott added. "Alcohol and cigarettes are also harmful to children, but legal for adults to consume."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/legal-pot/pediatric-academy-now-says-medical-marijuana-may-help-some-ill-n293176

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #544 on: February 04, 2015, 10:49:05 AM »
A Marijuana First: Pot Vending Machines Dispense Weed
BY MIRANDA LEITSINGER

Weed history is being made in Seattle: the first vending machines to dispense marijuana flower buds debuted Tuesday.

The machines, called ZaZZZ, are being placed in medical pot dispensaries, which helps to verify customer's age and identity since medical marijuana cards are required to enter the centers, said Greg Patrick, a spokesman for the maker of ZaZZZ, American Green.

Though vending machines appeared for the first time in Colorado last year, those sold only edibles, or cannabis-infused foods, and not the plant's flower buds that are so often associated with smoking pot.

"It's historic, there's just no other way to state it. We saw the repeal of prohibition in the early 20th century and the mark that made on our country and the companies that did it right," Patrick said. "We're in that stage. This will only happen once in our country's history, the repeal of this prohibition."

The machines have a touchscreen where buyers can make orders, play video games and read medical information about the products. They swipe their medical marijuana IDs or driver's licenses to make sure they can legally purchase the goods and must pay in cash or bitcoin since the federal government doesn't allow debit or credit cards to be used in the sale of marijuana.

Like machines that dispense soda or snacks, ZaZZZ intends to speed up the distribution for those who don't want to wait in a line at the dispensary.

"Once you swipe your ID, you can go shopping on the screen," Patrick said. "You can be in and out — literally — in a matter of minutes."

Pot vending maching
ZaZZZ vending machines in Colorado and Washington state, where legal recreational weed sales began last year, can dispense flower buds. But for the time being, American Green has to partner with growers in those states since the Tempe, Arizona-based firm — like others — can't ship medical marijuana product across state lines under federal laws.

Ultimately, American Green hopes to take the machines to other venues outside medical marijuana dispensaries as acceptance and awareness of the products grows. The company said the machine — which doesn't have a glass window that could be broken into — is secure against would-be thiefs.

"That machine is like a miniature little Fort Knox," Patrick said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/marijuana-first-pot-vending-machines-dispense-weed-n299701

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #545 on: February 04, 2015, 10:54:10 AM »
Ted Cruz Added to List of 2016 Contenders Who Have Smoked Weed
Wednesday, 04 Feb 2015
By Drew MacKenzie

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz confessed this week that he had smoked pot in his teens — but it turns out that he's just one of several prospective White House candidates who have inhaled.

In previous decades, a politician's admission that he had partaken in illegal substances might have got him kicked off the podium.

To play down the issue, two-term president Bill Clinton even bizarrely claimed that although he had smoked marijuana, he "didn't inhale," a comment which became the butt of late-night jokes.

But with marijuana use becoming legal in Colorado and Washington states, times really are a-changin'.

Long before the 2016 race heats up, Republican and Democrat hopefuls have fessed up to their secret indulgences, opening up in an attempt to prevent their pasts from getting in the way of their futures.

But Republican candidates are more likely to come under close examination over their illicit behavior from their conservative supporters, according to The Hill.

Here's what 10 potential candidates in 2016 from both parties said about their drug use, or lack thereof:

JEB BUSH
The former Florida governor recently told The Boston Globe that he had puffed on some strange looking cigarettes while he was in prep school. "I drank alcohol, and I smoked marijuana when I was at Andover," Bush said, according to The Hill. "It was pretty common."

BEN CARSON
The retired neurosurgeon has never divulged either way whether he's smoked pot. However, he has inferred that he's never touched the stuff by calling it a "gateway drug" and saying it's a "hedonistic activity."

CHRIS CHRISTIE
The New Jersey governor says that he's never inhaled, or for that matter even tried, marijuana. "The answer is no," Christie tweeted when he was asked by a fan of pot-smoking country singer Willie Nelson in 2012 if he had ever imbibed.

HILLARY CLINTON
Although her husband Bill has sort of confessed to smoking pot, the former secretary of state told CNN last year, "I didn't do it when I was young, I'm not going to start now."

TED CRUZ
The tea party firebrand admitted to the Daily Mail that he had smoked weed. "Teenagers are often known for their lack of judgment, and Sen. Cruz was no exception," his spokesman said. "When he was a teenager, he foolishly experimented with marijuana. It was a mistake, and he's never tried it since."

MARCO RUBIO
The Florida senator appears to deny that he's dabbled in pot when he said last year: "If I tell you that I haven't, you won't believe me. And if I tell you that I did, then kids will look up to me and say, 'well, I can smoke marijuana because look how he made it. He did alright so I guess I can do it too.' And the bottom line is that it is a substance that alters your mind. Now when I was (in my teens), I made dumb decisions. I didn't need the help of marijuana or alcohol to further that."

RAND PAUL
The Kentucky senator refuses to admit whether he's taken a toke, but he definitely implies that he has. "Let's just say I wasn't a choir boy when I was in college and that I can recognize that kids make mistakes, and I can say that I made mistakes when I was a kid," Paul said last year, according to The Hill.

MIKE HUCKABEE
Not only has the former Arkansas governor never done drugs, he even opposed dancing while he was in divinity school, according to a BuzzFeed story posted this week.

RICK PERRY
The former Texas governor has emphatically denied he's ever gotten high on pot. "No, thank God!" he told late-night host Jimmy Kimmel when he was asked if he'd ever indulged.

BERNIE SANDERS
The Vermont independent, who caucuses with the Democrats, says he was a pot smoker, but told New York magazine he was no hippie. "My hair was long, but not long for the times. I smoked marijuana but was never part of the drug culture," he said. "That wasn't me."

http://www.Newsmax.com/Politics/pot-smokers-Ted-Cruz-Jeb-Bush-Rand-Paul/2015/02/04/id/622634/#ixzz3Qnu9fg4L

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #546 on: February 04, 2015, 11:38:27 AM »
Time to blaze one up soon and take a nap! Love my weed....
?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #547 on: February 18, 2015, 10:24:15 AM »
2 House panels OK bill creating pot dispensaries
The measure allows at least 26 licenses to serve medical marijuana patients
By Marcel Honoré
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Feb 18, 2015

A bill to allow medical marijuana dispensaries across Hawaii — nearly 15 years after state leaders made medical use of the drug permissible — is still alive in the House.

Members of the chamber's Health and Judiciary committees passed an amended House Bill 321 during their joint hearing Tuesday. With the measure's latest changes, at least 26 dispensary licenses would be offered to applicants to serve Hawaii's nearly 13,000 qualified patients.

Previously, the bill would have required all 26 of those licenses to be filled at a minimum, regardless of demand. Several groups, including the state attorney general's office, had flagged that as an issue in written testimony.

Currently, it's up to all of the state's marijuana patients to grow their own supply, a notion that bill supporters call highly unrealistic. "In order to qualify you have to be really sick" — and many such patients wouldn't be able to cultivate, let alone wait for the marijuana to grow, said Michelle Tippens, a Makiki resident and medical marijuana advocate, after the hearing Tuesday.

The bill, she said, was needed for "availability and functionality" of medical marijuana for those who qualify.

However, in its testimony opposing the measure (similar to other local law enforcement groups), the Hawaii Police Department said that only 12 of that island's more than 5,400 qualified patients were not growing their own medical marijuana. The testimony stated that figure was based on December 2014 statistics, but it didn't specify further.

Lawmakers have introduced bills striving to set up licensing or dispensary systems for several years now without success.

Nonetheless, Rep. Della Au Belatti (D, Moiliili-Makiki-Tantalus), who chairs the Health Committee, said she's confident dispensary advocates could see a framework finally passed into law this year. HB 321, she said, reflects thorough work done by the Legislature's Hawaii Medical Marijuana Dispensary Task Force, which was convened at the University of Hawaii at Manoa's College of Social Sciences after last year's session.

"This last summer there was really a concentrated effort" by the task force's patients, caregivers, law enforcement and state agency representatives to address dispensary issues, Belatti said Tuesday.

Also, Gov. David Ige has expressed support for giving qualified users legal access to the drug, his spokes­woman said Tuesday. Ige did not vote to approve the original 2000 act allowing medical marijuana use when he was a lawmaker because it didn't offer such a mechanism for providing the drug to patients, said Cindy McMillan, Ige's spokes­woman.

The House measure is slated to go next before the Finance Committee.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #548 on: February 18, 2015, 01:46:21 PM »
We're looking at this shit all wrong from the political side.

I was watching a news bit about some woman set up houses and charge people who just wanna go there and get high.

We getbiggers need to pool our money and start buying some property in CO.

Let's get rich off this shit.   8)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #549 on: February 19, 2015, 05:26:26 AM »
I have yet to see an actual study showing negative effects of legalization, in fact the outcome has been overwhelming positive, which one would expect.

it's really a silly debate to be having, should we allow adults to ingest substances of their choosing? of course, within reason.

If you look at the big picture it's asinine.