Author Topic: Muslims in space? Obama told NASA Chief his role is to make Muslims feel good.  (Read 7937 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
I wish there were a way they could see it's all bullshit, Islam that is.  and you know maybe some of them actually know it's bs but follow in the religion because they have no choice.  I'm sure that happens more than we think.  If you're a son or especially a daughter of a muslim family, there are some really strong insentives to not peeping a single word of what you might be thinking otherwise.  It was the same under christianity for a long time and we know there were many who had to keep their opinions silent or in confidense.  The same is documented in other religions.  IMO, the most viral religions have originated from the middle east.  And I say viral, in a computer sense, because they were programmed that way.  They intentionally had the right threats and consequences built in from the start. It's just totally sick to me that it's worked for way over a thousand years.

Excellent post Hugo.  Especially like the part I put in bold.  I think many of them don't speak out because of fear of reprisal.  Just look at Iran.  The students there have "seen the light" and govt tries to squash it at every opportunity.  And honestly, exactly what you say is why I think it is SO important to tackle the problem headlong, before we turn into England or France, who let it fester and conceded way too much and I fear it might be too late.
As much as we all like to bicker and argue, that is one of the things I love about our country...everyone has an opinion on almost everything and are free to express it....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
i don't know... it sounds crazy to me.

::)  ::)

Kneepadding at its finest. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Bump 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

NASA's new mission: Building ties to Muslim world
By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
July 6, 2010   
NASA Administrator Charles Bolden prepares to testify on Capitol Hill in February. (Gerald Herbert/AP) 

________________________ _____________

You'd be hard-pressed to find an American who doesn't know that the "S" in NASA stands for "Space." Since the race to the moon in the 1960s, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration has been one of the most storied agencies in the U.S. government. Now, under President Obama, its mission is changing -- and space isn't part of the story.

"When I became the NASA administrator, [Obama] charged me with three things," NASA head Charles Bolden said in a recent interview with the Middle Eastern news network al-Jazeera. "One, he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."

From moon landings to promoting self-esteem: It would be difficult to imagine a more dramatic shift in focus for an agency famous for reaching the heavens. Bolden's words left supporters of space exploration astonished. "Everyone had the same impression: Is this what he is spending his time on?" says a Republican Hill aide who tracks the space program. "A lot of people are very upset about it."

NASA is not getting out of the space business, at least not entirely. But Bolden's words, together with the president's decision to scrap much of NASA's mission and include the agency in the "Cairo Initiative" -- that is, the White House outreach program outlined in Obama's June 4, 2009, Cairo speech to the Muslim world -- show that the NASA of the future will be little like the past.

Obama released his plan for NASA a few months ago, and to many it seemed a blueprint for disaster. The moon program will be scrapped, replaced by a hazy hope to visit Mars. The space shuttle will die, too, leaving America with no way to put a man in orbit.

Obama's proposal stunned U.S. space heroes Neil Armstrong and Eugene Cernan -- the first and last men to walk on the moon -- who, along with Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell, made a rare public statement denouncing the plan as a "devastating" scheme that "destines our nation to become one of second- or even third-rate stature."

Even John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth who later became a Democratic senator and Obama supporter, was dismayed by the president's plan to rely on the Russians to ferry American astronauts to the international space station. "We're putting ourselves in line for a single-point failure ending the whole manned space program," Glenn said.

The Muslim outreach at NASA is the result of the White House's preparation for Obama's Cairo speech. Staffers found that many Muslims admire American achievements in science and technology, so Obama used the speech to announce the appointment of U.S. "science envoys" and a new fund "to support technological development in Muslim-majority countries."

Obama appointed Egyptian-American scientist Ahmed Zewail as the first science envoy to the Middle East. Just last week, Zewail argued that the U.S. can build better relations with the Muslim world by "harnessing the soft power of science in the service of diplomacy." The NASA initiative is part of that.

Last month, Bolden himself traveled to Cairo to mark the first anniversary of Obama's speech. In an address at the American University, Bolden cited Zewail's work and stressed NASA's role in improving relations with Islamic nations. Beginning with a hearty "Assalaamu alaykum," Bolden explained that in the past, NASA worked with countries that were capable of space exploration, but now Obama has "asked NASA to change ... by reaching out to 'nontraditional' partners and strengthening our cooperation in the Middle East, North Africa, Southeast Asia and in particular in Muslim-majority nations."

"NASA is not only a space exploration agency," Bolden concluded, "but also an Earth improvement agency."

At the same time, Bolden gave a bleak assessment of the space part of NASA's mission. More than 40 years after the first moon landing, he told al-Jazeera, the U.S. can no longer reach beyond Earth's orbit without assistance from abroad. "We're not going to go anywhere beyond low Earth orbit as a single entity," Bolden said. "The United States can't do it."

Its space initiatives junked, its administrator rhapsodizing about helping Muslims "feel good" about themselves: That is the new NASA.

Byron York, The Examiner's chief political correspondent, can be contacted at byork@washingtonexaminer.com. His column appears on Tuesday and Friday, and his stories and blog posts appears on ExaminerPolitics.com

Read more at the Washington Examiner:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/NASA_s-new-mission_-Building-ties-to-Muslim-world-97817909.html#ixzz0suBHQ6bD

________________________ _______________________

Obama has become a caricature of himself. 

BUMP

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
  • put more nitrous on that, it still has spark plugs
Don't call obama out on his lies though,  thats racist and not politically correct.
down with hussein

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Bump. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Bump for Vince.     So you accuse a hero like bolden of lying?     Yes or no? 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!

Bump for Vince.     So you accuse a hero like bolden of lying?     Yes or no? 

He told a half-truth for reasons I'm not sure.  If I had a guess, he distorted the facts because he was upset about NASA's space program being cut.

The primary mission of NASA has always been space exploration and study but one of the priorities of reaching out to the Muslim world was no different from us working with Russia and China for cooperative purposes as Saudi Arabia and India have a developing space program currently. 

Only a moron would think that NASA was all of a sudden going to become a bunch of diplomats. 
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Right so bolden is lying.   Lmfao.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
 :-\

Kennedy, Obama and the moon
By: CNN's Abby Livingston

(CNN) - The moon isn't what it used to be.

When President John Kennedy promised the country a lunar landing within eight years, his famous declaration became a symbol of the American can-do ideal, stating that we do such endeavors, "Not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

In February 2008, then-candidate Barack Obama used that sentiment as a defense from his Democratic primary rival, then-Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, who attacked his campaign for being too idealistic.

An indignant Obama channeled the Kennedy sentiment when he declared at the Wisconsin Jefferson Jackson dinner, "That’s what hope is. Imagining and then fighting for and then working for what did not seem possible before. That's leadership. John F. Kennedy didn't look up at the moon and say, 'That's too far. We can't go.'"

In April 2010, an election, a financial crisis, and an Inauguration later, Obama voiced a different sentiment, however, seemingly tempering his aspirations for the moon as a human destination.

"I understand that some believe that we should attempt a return to the surface of the moon first, as previously planned," he said at Cape Canaveral, Florida. "But I just have to say pretty bluntly here: We've been there before. Buzz (Aldrin) has been there."

But minutes after the final shuttle launch Friday, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney insisted that the president's space policy is not restrained, but rather expansive.

"The fact is, the president has laid out an ambitious agenda, an ambitious vision for human space life that will take American astronauts beyond where we’ve been ever before, with the ultimate goal being a human mission to Mars,” Carney said.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/08/kennedy-obama-and-the-moon/#more-166702

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
More lies from Obama. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Bump

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
Great.
So, pretty soon we're gonna see suicide space shuttles.

lololol

and potentially true

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Allah Ackbar! *shuttle crashes into russian space station*

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
 >:(

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
 :(

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Compare Obama to this

Disgusting that we have such a worthless layabout piece of trash as POTUS

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!