Author Topic: Muslims in space? Obama told NASA Chief his role is to make Muslims feel good.  (Read 7932 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

NASA's new mission: Building ties to Muslim world
By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
July 6, 2010   
NASA Administrator Charles Bolden prepares to testify on Capitol Hill in February. (Gerald Herbert/AP) 

________________________ _____________

You'd be hard-pressed to find an American who doesn't know that the "S" in NASA stands for "Space." Since the race to the moon in the 1960s, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration has been one of the most storied agencies in the U.S. government. Now, under President Obama, its mission is changing -- and space isn't part of the story.

"When I became the NASA administrator, [Obama] charged me with three things," NASA head Charles Bolden said in a recent interview with the Middle Eastern news network al-Jazeera. "One, he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."

From moon landings to promoting self-esteem: It would be difficult to imagine a more dramatic shift in focus for an agency famous for reaching the heavens. Bolden's words left supporters of space exploration astonished. "Everyone had the same impression: Is this what he is spending his time on?" says a Republican Hill aide who tracks the space program. "A lot of people are very upset about it."

NASA is not getting out of the space business, at least not entirely. But Bolden's words, together with the president's decision to scrap much of NASA's mission and include the agency in the "Cairo Initiative" -- that is, the White House outreach program outlined in Obama's June 4, 2009, Cairo speech to the Muslim world -- show that the NASA of the future will be little like the past.

Obama released his plan for NASA a few months ago, and to many it seemed a blueprint for disaster. The moon program will be scrapped, replaced by a hazy hope to visit Mars. The space shuttle will die, too, leaving America with no way to put a man in orbit.

Obama's proposal stunned U.S. space heroes Neil Armstrong and Eugene Cernan -- the first and last men to walk on the moon -- who, along with Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell, made a rare public statement denouncing the plan as a "devastating" scheme that "destines our nation to become one of second- or even third-rate stature."

Even John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth who later became a Democratic senator and Obama supporter, was dismayed by the president's plan to rely on the Russians to ferry American astronauts to the international space station. "We're putting ourselves in line for a single-point failure ending the whole manned space program," Glenn said.

The Muslim outreach at NASA is the result of the White House's preparation for Obama's Cairo speech. Staffers found that many Muslims admire American achievements in science and technology, so Obama used the speech to announce the appointment of U.S. "science envoys" and a new fund "to support technological development in Muslim-majority countries."

Obama appointed Egyptian-American scientist Ahmed Zewail as the first science envoy to the Middle East. Just last week, Zewail argued that the U.S. can build better relations with the Muslim world by "harnessing the soft power of science in the service of diplomacy." The NASA initiative is part of that.

Last month, Bolden himself traveled to Cairo to mark the first anniversary of Obama's speech. In an address at the American University, Bolden cited Zewail's work and stressed NASA's role in improving relations with Islamic nations. Beginning with a hearty "Assalaamu alaykum," Bolden explained that in the past, NASA worked with countries that were capable of space exploration, but now Obama has "asked NASA to change ... by reaching out to 'nontraditional' partners and strengthening our cooperation in the Middle East, North Africa, Southeast Asia and in particular in Muslim-majority nations."

"NASA is not only a space exploration agency," Bolden concluded, "but also an Earth improvement agency."

At the same time, Bolden gave a bleak assessment of the space part of NASA's mission. More than 40 years after the first moon landing, he told al-Jazeera, the U.S. can no longer reach beyond Earth's orbit without assistance from abroad. "We're not going to go anywhere beyond low Earth orbit as a single entity," Bolden said. "The United States can't do it."

Its space initiatives junked, its administrator rhapsodizing about helping Muslims "feel good" about themselves: That is the new NASA.

Byron York, The Examiner's chief political correspondent, can be contacted at byork@washingtonexaminer.com. His column appears on Tuesday and Friday, and his stories and blog posts appears on ExaminerPolitics.com

Read more at the Washington Examiner:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/NASA_s-new-mission_-Building-ties-to-Muslim-world-97817909.html#ixzz0suBHQ6bD

________________________ _______________________

Obama has become a caricature of himself. 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Great.
So, pretty soon we're gonna see suicide space shuttles.

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
  • put more nitrous on that, it still has spark plugs
cars and planes arent enough  ?  now obama wants to put  dirka dirka in space shuttles, so they can blow them up and crash them into things?
down with hussein

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
yeesh...u shouldn't be able to get to space on a "special" visa cause u r muslim.....

regardless of race of religion...it should be an endeavour reserved for those you r the best in their fields...

n free masons!
carpe` vaginum!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I just can't imagine what is going through hero astronauts' heads right now. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
I just can't imagine what is going through hero astronauts' heads right now. 

They can join the rest of the world, who exist for no other reason than to appease the Mohammedans.

Fuck science, it's about making them feel good about themselves and their non-existent contributions to technological advancement. How pathetic. ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
But BF - we are supposed to give this admn a chance no? 

Fury

• Getbig V
But BF - we are supposed to give this admn a chance no?  

Of course. There's nothing that warms my heart more than knowing we're dumping millions into making the single most intolerant group of people on the planet feel good about themselves because money grows on trees and NASA doesn't waste enough as it is.

Science = not important.
Making Muslims feel good about doing jack shit to contribute to the advancement of humanity = important.  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I wonder if the Sarah Silverman's of the world will read this article. 

Fury

• Getbig V
I wonder what the next gigantic money sink this retard comes up with will be.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I wonder what the next gigantic money sink this retard comes up with will be.

Well, illegals granted amnesty will qualify for ObamaCare if that counts.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
The Muslim outreach at NASA is the result of the White House's preparation for Obama's Cairo speech.

So, it is a fair and accurate statement to say that the United States president is allocating taxpayer dollars to fund a Muslim outreach program.

The people who are fighting modern-day crusades with exploding backpacks (that often kill no one other than the wearer) are gonna help us reach the next galaxy?

Obama used the speech to announce the appointment of U.S. "science envoys" and a new fund "to support technological development in Muslim-majority countries."

Okay, I know - not ALL Muslims are bad, but…
Based on the record and religion of most recent jihadists, are Muslim-majority countries really where we want to concentrate federal funding for technological advancement?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Former NASA Director Says Muslim Outreach Push 'Deeply Flawed'
FOX ^

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 2:46:27 PM by Sub-Driver

The former head of NASA on Tuesday described as "deeply flawed" the idea that the space exploration agency's priority should be outreach to Muslim countries, after current Administrator Charles Bolden made that assertion in an interview last month. fox news

"NASA ... represents the best of America. Its purpose is not to inspire Muslims or any other cultural entity," Michael Griffin, who served as NASA administrator during the latter half of the Bush administration, told FoxNews.com.

Bolden created a firestorm after telling Al Jazeera last month that President Obama told him before he took the job that he wanted him to do three things: inspire children to learn math and science, expand international relationships and "perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science ... and math and engineering."

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

Fury

• Getbig V
FOX ^

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 2:46:27 PM by Sub-Driver

The former head of NASA on Tuesday described as "deeply flawed" the idea that the space exploration agency's priority should be outreach to Muslim countries, after current Administrator Charles Bolden made that assertion in an interview last month. fox news

"NASA ... represents the best of America. Its purpose is not to inspire Muslims or any other cultural entity," Michael Griffin, who served as NASA administrator during the latter half of the Bush administration, told FoxNews.com.

Bolden created a firestorm after telling Al Jazeera last month that President Obama told him before he took the job that he wanted him to do three things: inspire children to learn math and science, expand international relationships and "perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science ... and math and engineering."

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

I'm shocked someone had the balls to say it. 100% spot on.

NASA has gone from an organization devoted to pushing the boundaries of space to a self-esteem booster for one specific demographic that has next to nothing to do with space exploration. I mean seriously, what the fuck? The PC of pandering to the most intolerant group of people on the planet is beyond ridiculous at this point. Disgusting, really.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
So, it is a fair and accurate statement to say that the United States president is allocating taxpayer dollars to fund a Muslim outreach program.

That's exactly right.  Courtesy of the Appeaser in Chief.

Krauthammer sums things up

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

That's exactly right.  Courtesy of the Appeaser in Chief.

Krauthammer sums things up

Krauthammer is great.  Completely agree.  And Appeaser in Chief is right.  When is he going to stop kissing the world's rear end?   ::)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
caught lou dobbs of all ppl on fox this morning ripping this bullshit apart...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Funny - not one person has defended this. 

Fury

• Getbig V
Funny - not one person has defended this. 

I'm sure kcballer will pop in and defend it by calling us all islamophobes full of hatred.  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
BUMP

Hey Hugo - maybe is our pofs POTUS did not keep making it an issue it would go away, but when he does crap like this, what do you expect/

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
hey asswipe, stop calling me out to defend obama.  also, I can't believe he said this shit and I don't even like him.  sounds like bs

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
hey asswipe, stop calling me out to defend obama.  also, I can't believe he said this shit and I don't even like him.  sounds like bs

Are you saying you believe obama or bolden? 

Bolden is a national hero.  He is a decorated combat vet, an astronaut, a scientists, a leader, and in my mind had absolutely no reason to lie about this. 

His veracity is rock soldid with me until i am shown otherwise.  Obama on the otherhand???   That pofs lies every time he breathes. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Are you saying you believe obama or bolden? 

Bolden is a national hero.  He is a decorated combat vet, an astronaut, a scientists, a leader, and in my mind had absolutely no reason to lie about this. 

His veracity is rock soldid with me until i am shown otherwise.  Obama on the otherhand???   That pofs lies every time he breathes. 
i don't know... it sounds crazy to me.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
I think we should put them all on a giant space shuttle and let them explore the sun...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
I think we should put them all on a giant space shuttle and let them explore the sun...
I wish there were a way they could see it's all bullshit, Islam that is.  and you know maybe some of them actually know it's bs but follow in the religion because they have no choice.  I'm sure that happens more than we think.  If you're a son or especially a daughter of a muslim family, there are some really strong insentives to not peeping a single word of what you might be thinking otherwise.  It was the same under christianity for a long time and we know there were many who had to keep their opinions silent or in confidense.  The same is documented in other religions.  IMO, the most viral religions have originated from the middle east.  And I say viral, in a computer sense, because they were programmed that way.  They intentionally had the right threats and consequences built in from the start. It's just totally sick to me that it's worked for way over a thousand years.