Author Topic: working out at age 13?  (Read 3918 times)

TOMCAT

• Getbig IV
working out at age 13?
« on: July 08, 2010, 10:58:57 AM »
My step son is 13 and wants to start lifting,I always heard you really wont see any results until you are atleast 16 besides getting leaner and more defined.
Is weight trainning at a young age(13) a good idea?

And what kind of trainning should he be doing?(more reps light weight vs heavy weight low reps)

jayfromeurope

• Getbig III
Re: working out at age 13?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 02:39:53 PM »
IMO, it's better if he just play "normal" sport, or do workout with his weight, like push ups and stuff like that.

If I tell you this, its because I my self started to soon bbing and now I have tons of problems but when I started I did not have any older friends to help me.

May be if you stay with him you can train with light weight.

The good thing at 13 is to train cardio.

Anyway my english is not good so I hope you understand what I wrote.
J

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 03:09:35 PM »
Depends on the 13 year old. If he's physically mature, it's fine. I started training when i was 12 or 13, i was probably 5'8" and 180lbs. Never did any squatting or deadlifting until a few years later though.

TOMCAT

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 04:08:03 PM »
He is skinny but ripped not sure what he wants at this point I think I am going to teach him the basics with light weight and take it from there.no sense in getting hard core but I think if I give him a taste of what a real workout is he will either love it or leave it .I know when I was that age I couldn't get enough even though my results were not big at all.something about being pumped up is addictive no matter whether you are making progress or not.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 05:05:04 PM »
Results or no results, at the bare minimum you can teach him proper form, technique and exercises, if you know them yourself.

As long as he learns that stuff, then he can add weight to the bar and start lifting, but he should spend the next couple of years perfecting his technique in all aspects of weightlifting.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

TOMCAT

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 04:24:41 AM »
Results or no results, at the bare minimum you can teach him proper form, technique and exercises, if you know them yourself.

As long as he learns that stuff, then he can add weight to the bar and start lifting, but he should spend the next couple of years perfecting his technique in all aspects of weightlifting.
right,

I am not expecting him to grow huge at 13,but ofcourse I wont tell him that I will just show him what to do and how he should be eating.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:30:13 AM »

Agreed
My son and his buddies started using my home gym when they where 12-13.
Any way most of the time they only want to bench and curl  ;)

TOMCAT

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 08:52:43 AM »
Agreed
yeah I remember those days

thats why I am going to help him with getting started otherwise he will probably never train back or legs

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 03:35:20 PM »
Agreed

You just described 72% of the L.A./24-Hour Fitness demographic.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 04:00:07 PM »
right,

I am not expecting him to grow huge at 13,but ofcourse I wont tell him that I will just show him what to do and how he should be eating.

Building a proper foundation at such a young age should help prevent injuries also, if he knows what to do, he's less likely to fuck himself up later when he gets serious.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 04:40:49 PM »
My step son is 13 and wants to start lifting,I always heard you really wont see any results until you are atleast 16 besides getting leaner and more defined.
Is weight trainning at a young age(13) a good idea?

And what kind of trainning should he be doing?(more reps light weight vs heavy weight low reps)

Two things you can be proud of:

1.  He wants to do something constructive
2.  He came to you for advice

~

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 11:45:38 AM »

This.

If he were my boy, I'd block off his training the way that some European coaches do. Like the first few years, just get him use to the lifts and physical training, then a few years after that move him into some other aspect of training or more sports specific training. Also, if he shows an interest some of the more technical sports like track and field, olympic lifting, etc... it's good to start as early as possible.

Just have fun with it:).

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 09:29:19 AM »
For potential athletes, many countries begin around twelve. A lot of Pro boxers started at 9 or 10, as some gymnast do.

For general weight training twelve can be acceptable for most.  With your step kid, might want to start him off learning the basic Olympic lifting movements; cleans, squat cleans, snatches, jerks, etc. Throw in military presses and benches if you wish.  All with light and higher reps. Nothing heavy, because of too much joint pressures. If he becomes interested in sports the Olympic lifts will greatly improve his timing, balance, quicknes, stretch and flexibility. Plus all around power. The secret is  to make it enjoyable and fun for him.

If he's like most young boys, he wants muscles. Usually starting with the biceps and pec's. (some guy's in their 40's, working out most of their lives, never out grow the need for over doing the arm & pec work. Avoiding the legs and back for the most part).. If he's like that than start with a all around BB'ing workout. Squats, benches, rows, presses, curls, etc. Make it light and with higher reps at first. Three workouts a week with all the basic stuff. Good Luck.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 04:07:02 AM »
Depends on the 13 year old. If he's physically mature, it's fine. I started training when i was 12 or 13, i was probably 5'8" and 180lbs. Never did any squatting or deadlifting until a few years later though.

this is good advice... stick to high rep (12-15) movements

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 03:40:03 AM »
Hi moosejay

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
My son did a lot of boxing training and weight training at 13. he started showing size at 16 now hes 17 and starting to catch up to me. I just kept the intensity down. he's bad for over training even with cardio, and takes pride pushing limits, but as we all know those decisions can come back to haunt you later. Your body has to last a life time after all.
P