Author Topic: what to do when sore? train again or wait?  (Read 1734 times)

tallandfat

• Getbig II
what to do when sore? train again or wait?
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »
on the fence

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: what to do when sore? train again or wait?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:44:54 AM »
under no circumstances should you ever train a sore muscle!!!!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »
under no circumstances should you ever train a sore muscle!!!!

If its time for me to train a muscle group and it's slightly sore from a previous workout, I'll train it. When am I not sore? I live sore... If I go on vacation and don't lift I find I can't sleep at night because nothing hurts...OK, I'm exaggerating a bit..

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:34:05 PM »
Feel free to train a sore muscle. But with a lighter weight and more reps. Want an increase in  circulation to the sore muscle area, flushing out with an newer blood supply. Out with the old waste product, in with the healing benefits of the nutriments within the newer blood pump. This extra light, higher rep approach can be something akin toe a deep muscle massage in a way.

Probably best the day after the sore producing workout(s).  Keep the muscle area warm, with a heating lotion/rub. And might wear something or wraps around the sore area also. A muscle group seems to recover better this way, when kept warm. Good luck.
F

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:42:51 PM »
try some foam rolling!
w

tallandfat

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 09:02:39 PM »
ran today

fuck I hate being fat

run walk 2 miles whipped my ass

fetl liek million after it

I know I can get in shape, just so far out its painful sweaty and kinda embaressing

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »
the active recovery workout outlined by jpm is one option.

another option is to wait until its not sore anymore.

personally, i have gone back and forth on this one. over time ive come to agree with dorian yates, that we dont get paid to go to the gym, and there is no benefit to working out a muscle before its healed from the last workout. i also tend to agree with a poster here named vince basile, by thinking that DOMS (muscle soreness) is a likely indicator that rapid hypertrophy is taking place within that muscle. even if soreness doesnt indicate growth, i still notice that the muscle is definitely not as strong when you work it out sore compared to when you let it heal first.

the key here is to find a training volume/intensity that produces results, and then find a matching frequency of training to capitlize off that particular volume/intensity. if you find out that a lower volume of training works best, then youl probabvly want to train the muscle more frequently, and if its a high volume that wors best, then youl probably want to train it less frequently. of course, you dont want to wait too long, or too little before working out the muscle again. soreness may help you determine how frequent you should train each muscle. 

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 01:47:36 AM »
Well, let's say that your calves are sore, but you're gonna train hamstrings

Or, maybe your chest is sore, but it's time for Triceps

Maybe your traps are sore but it's time for side delts?

Maybe your fingers are sore from practicing the guitar all day, but you have a unforseen performance the next day- maybe you've been up all night, but you have to work throughout the next day...

Will any of these situations create a benefit or a drawback? 

Tough to say. If you notice a decline in your normal performance, chances are good that you probably should have rested.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 10:21:41 AM »
Doesn't matter.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »

If you notice a decline in your normal performance, chances are good that you probably should have rested.
:)