Author Topic: ObamaCare: The Nightmare Begins  (Read 1616 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
ObamaCare: The Nightmare Begins
« on: July 09, 2010, 07:28:24 PM »
  Close IBD Editorials
ObamaCare: Dream Turned Nightmare
Posted 07:02 PM ET

Health Reform: Key provisions of the president's health care reform are about to take effect. Don't expect any of it to be pretty.

It turns out that — as predicted by health experts, and reported on this page — ObamaCare will make health insurance premiums rise rather than fall. This and other unpleasant truths are revealed in a new report from two Republican senators, which charges that "when measured against the administration's own stated goals, the new health law fails to address the top health care concerns of the American people."

Tom Coburn of Oklahoma and John Barrasso of Wyoming are the only two members of the U.S. Senate with M.D.s, and their prognosis in the report, titled "Bad Medicine: a Check-up on the New Federal Health Law," is far from good.

"Independent experts have found that the new health law will increase the cost of health insurance and health care services," the two doctor-senators say, noting the Congressional Budget Office concludes that "premiums for millions of American families in 2016 will be 10%-13% higher than they otherwise would be. This represents a $2,100 increase per family, compared with the status quo."

Two thousand dollars more? Did something hidden in the 3,000 pages of the ObamaCare bill, which the White House and leading congressional Democrats moved heaven and earth to get passed, make those evil health insurers even greedier?

Or is it greedy Uncle Sam? As the senators point out, "According to an April 2010 memo from the Actuary of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the medical device and pharmaceutical drug fees and the health insurance excise tax will generally be passed through to health consumers in the form of higher drug and device prices and higher insurance premiums, with an associated increase in overall national health expenditures."

Add to that the fact that according to the Joint Committee on Taxation, much of ObamaCare's new taxes will trickle down and end up being paid for by health care consumers. These include "the $60 billion tax on health plans, the $20 billion tax on medical devices and the $27 billion tax on prescription drugs." Makes you wonder which party is on the side of the little guy.

One way premiums will increase is through Americans' making rational economic decisions when faced with higher health costs or the paying of a penalty — something perhaps unjustly described as "gaming the system." ObamaCare, it turns out, is a system begging to be gamed.

"Premiums will increase because the new health law contains new federally-mandated rating rules that will cause premium costs for younger Americans to spike dramatically," the Coburn-Barrasso report says. The half of the uninsured aged 19-34 will be faced with the choice of "a financial penalty for not purchasing health insurance" or having to buy "health insurance that is more expensive than the status quo."

Twenty-somethings are discriminated against under ObamaCare. "Insurance for younger Americans will be more expensive because of new rating rules in the law that allow a smaller difference between the premiums an insurance company can charge a younger person compared with an older person," the report points out.

"Unsurprisingly, independent actuaries and private sector experts estimate that, in most states, premiums for the youngest third of the population could increase by 35% under the new tight age bands under the law."

That's just one of a series of ObamaCare negatives highlighted by the report, including: 16 million forced into the going-broke Medicaid system, which many doctors avoid like the plague; a free ride for illegal immigrants, with citizens paying their costs; criminalization of the uninsured, with possible IRS harassment on the way; and millions losing the health plans they now enjoy "as employers either drop coverage or purchase more expensive, government-dictated health insurance."

America has had the best health system in the world. Its flaws are directly attributable to government interfering in the free flow of private services — a forced employer-based system, prohibiting interstate insurance, etc. Making the system better was always a worthy dream, but by expanding government instead of freedom, the dream has been made into the nightmare now beginning.

My freaking insurance went up 20% last month because of Obamacare. 

James

Re: ObamaCare: The Nightmare Begins
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 06:12:06 AM »

Just wait until September, when the Guarantee issue mandates take effect, then you will dream about the days when you only got a 20% rate increase.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:16:32 AM »
Just wait until September, when the Guarantee issue of Ind polices starts, then you will dream about the  days when you only got a 20% rate increase.

My parents just got an increase of 30%. 

Honestly James, and I'm not kidding, I think the only hope we have is either a complete collapse or some devastating natural disaster taking out everyone in DC, and their families, and their families, families. 

I would probably throw a block party if every one of them were washed away in a tsunami, especially Obama.   

James

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:28:46 AM »
Obamacare was designed to make Health Insurance skyrocket in cost at an outrageous rate, so that people would finally be ready to accept Universal health care. Just look at the guy that obama put in control of Medicare last week, by recess appointment.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 06:42:33 AM »
That's why I hate this pofs more than any potus in my lifetime, and most of those who blindly voted for him.  They are just as bad as he is. 

James

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 06:44:56 AM »
That's why I hate this pofs more than any potus in my lifetime, and most of those who blindly voted for him.  They are just as bad as he is. 

Every politician that voted for ObamaCare needs to be voted out of Office asap.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 06:53:01 AM »

Every politician that voted for ObamaCare needs to be voted out of Office asap.

And stripped of their pensions and health care. 

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
  • put more nitrous on that, it still has spark plugs
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 10:14:22 AM »
Too bad more people didnt read the bill for themselves, rather than listening to the general electric spin and lies of it.
down with hussein

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 10:49:41 AM »

how do you know it was from "Obamacare" ?

maybe it was just based on your age or mabye just because they could raise it and there's nothing you can do about it except bitch and whine on a message board

my premiums have gone up every year since the mid 2001 but in the last couple of years it went up 20% each year (more I think from 2007 to 2008)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »
Mine went up 20% in 08 and 09.

No telling what will happen this year.

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »
Thank heavens 240 and Straw came in. 333 would have had to keep three plates spinning at once. :)
Almost always, yes.

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 07:08:31 PM »
333 are you talking about your personal insurance ? or the insurance you provide your employees?
down with hussein

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:02:53 PM »
333 are you talking about your personal insurance ? or the insurance you provide your employees?

Both.  Tell me again why we needed obamacare? 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 10:28:48 AM »
The VA hospitals would be a good example of how "Obama care" might run. A person in my gym who is a vet has serious knee problems, he went to an ortho at the VA and told him there was nothing that could be done for him, they base this decision on what? The refused to give him an MRI, CT's or even an X-Ray just a flat out "there's nothing we can do"........he's only 52.

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 11:19:56 AM »
The VA hospitals would be a good example of how "Obama care" might run. A person in my gym who is a vet has serious knee problems, he went to an ortho at the VA and told him there was nothing that could be done for him, they base this decision on what? The refused to give him an MRI, CT's or even an X-Ray just a flat out "there's nothing we can do"........he's only 52.

he must not have been illegal or a muslim!
down with hussein

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 11:37:30 AM »

maybe you can pray to Jeebus for him

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 12:10:27 PM »

This is exactly what Government led healthcare would be. A VA/Military hospital is the epitome of socialized medicine. No choice on your Doctor, not much say so in the care you can get and everything based on their timetable and whats best for them. And if they screw up, no recourse of action for you the patient. Read this story  http://cbs5.com/local/airman.loses.legs.2.1095462.html  This kid lost both legs during a botched gall bladder surgery. From what I can find out, this kid who was an E-1 will be promoted to E-4 and discharged with disability pay at that rank. No sueing the Government/Military for this horrendous occurrence, whereas if this was a private practitioner he at least could get a much greater monetary settlement. The healthcare bill that was passed was just to get their foot in the door, what I typed out above is what you will see 10-15 years from now.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 12:13:50 PM »
Why would it be any different than Medicare is right now?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 01:11:07 PM »
Why would it be any different than Medicare is right now?

Please tell me why we needed obamacare again Straw if I am still going to get 20% increases yearly?

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 03:07:26 PM »
Please tell me why we needed obamacare again Straw if I am still going to get 20% increases yearly?

hussein needs to redistribute wealth!!    hope and change
down with hussein

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 04:00:24 PM »

you need for the time when your insurances refuses to pay for you electro shock treatment because they say that your bipolar disorder is a pre-existing condition

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 04:11:07 PM »
This is exactly what Government led healthcare would be. A VA/Military hospital is the epitome of socialized medicine. No choice on your Doctor, not much say so in the care you can get and everything based on their timetable and whats best for them. And if they screw up, no recourse of action for you the patient. Read this story  http://cbs5.com/local/airman.loses.legs.2.1095462.html  This kid lost both legs during a botched gall bladder surgery. From what I can find out, this kid who was an E-1 will be promoted to E-4 and discharged with disability pay at that rank. No sueing the Government/Military for this horrendous occurrence, whereas if this was a private practitioner he at least could get a much greater monetary settlement. The healthcare bill that was passed was just to get their foot in the door, what I typed out above is what you will see 10-15 years from now.

If I recall the Repubs primary idea to fix health care was Tort Reform which would do nothing to prevent incidents like this and only limits patient/victim from getting compensation

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 05:10:13 PM »
hussein needs to redistribute wealth!!    hope and change

B
I
N
G
O

and bingo was his name.

dems suck.  but so do repubs.  both clubs made this shit pass.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »
How did the Republicans make this pass? Did a single Republican vote for this piece of shit legislation?

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »
How did the Republicans make this pass?

IMO, apathy.  Sitting around on their asses year after year letting rates skyrocket out of control helped push this on the agenda.  Now we're stuck with this POS legislation.