Author Topic: Why is everyone a "cage fighter?!"  (Read 15507 times)

spinnis

Re: Why is everyone a "cage fighter?!"
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
what is fighting, whether mma or boxing? you are striking the other person. what is a heavy bag? an imitation of a human body to strengthen your punches/kicks with.

haha, yeah just punch the heavy bag nothing else is needed lol.

Ofc they train by kicking/punching a heavy bag but its a Minimum part of the puzzle. so to say that all a mma guy should do it punch the heavy bag and takes hits is so fuckign retarded its not even funny.

.....you.....should....k now....that

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 01:03:17 PM »
Cage fighting in his spare time, huh?  Oh brother..."Yeah, I've got a few hours to kill, think I'll go roll around with Jermaine in my underwear..."

Haha, this post is not getting enough love!

Literally everyone I have ever met that is a fan of or participates in or pretends to participate in "mixed martial arts" or "cage fighting" is a douchebag.

spinnis

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 01:05:28 PM »

Literally everyone I have ever met that is a fan of or participates in or pretends to participate in "mixed martial arts" or "cage fighting" is a douchebag.

Do you live in america?

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 01:11:35 PM »
just like bodybuilding, their are plenty of people in gyms and on steroids. but 99% never become shit.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
haha, yeah just punch the heavy bag nothing else is needed lol.

Ofc they train by kicking/punching a heavy bag but its a Minimum part of the puzzle. so to say that all a mma guy should do it punch the heavy bag and takes hits is so fuckign retarded its not even funny.

.....you.....should....k now....that
you assumed all i meant was punching. mma is obviously not limited to hands alone. the hevay bag would be used to develope power and speed with both arms, from every angle, and both legs from every angle. put the bag on a back and forth rocking motion for more resistance (kick/punch as the bag is swinging towards you) or  to simulate a moving opponent.

of course live one-on-one fighting would be another component of training.

if you want to punch, practice punching. if you want to shoot a basketball, practice shooting a basketball. if you want to play guitar, practice the guitar. but if you want to fight MMA then you need to practice long distance running, sprints, aerobics, gymnastics, and build up your "core strength".. ???

no..... fighting, like everything else, is mastered by practice of the basics. what is the basic to fighting? punching, kicking, and being able to take a punch/kick.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 01:12:57 PM »
What about those meatheads wearing those ridiculous t shirts?
 I think most of of people are just jealous, since a "MMA fan boy/ cage fighter" or whatever you want call it could kill you.
 I know its hard to accept that we can kick your ass, and sometimes we are 30,50 or 100 pounds lighter than most of people.
 Plus MMA people are way more health,conditioned and rarely use drugs.
 And don't let me start with all the g4p/ schmoo crap. should  I continue?
 Don't hate the player hate the game.

...BWAHAHAHAHA

I almost thought you were trolling for a sec. but your serious. Freaking classic right here!  :o :D

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
I have never ever seen a MMA guy hit the speed bag even once, only boxers..

Link me to some of these videos..

and Im no boxer but Im guessing it helps with cordination and muscle endurance etc.

I have no idea why you are drawn to these threads when its apparent that you know absolutly Nothing..,?

How the fuck would Just hitting a bag benefit a MMA guy?!?! He would GAS within 15 sec in his real fight.
Endurance for wrestling is a whole other story           which you should know!!  are you just playing stupid or what? :)

you are correct.

spinnis

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 01:18:08 PM »
you assumed all i meant was punching. mma is obviously not limited to hands alone. the hevay bag would be used to develope power and speed with both arms, from every angle, and both legs from every angle. put the bag on a back and forth rocking motion for more resistance (kick/punch as the bag is swinging towards you) or  to simulate a moving opponent.

we are still talking about MMA correct?

the hardest part of mma is muscle endurance / cardio training, which you get from wrestling and alot of circle station training or whatever its called..

only using a heavybag would result in you gassing within a few seconds after someone presses you against the cage and you try and defend it..

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 01:22:48 PM »
we are still talking about MMA correct?

the hardest part of mma is muscle endurance / cardio training, which you get from wrestling and alot of circle station training or whatever its called..

only using a heavybag would result in you gassing within a few seconds after someone presses you against the cage and you try and defend it..
i spent 5 years of my childhood wrsetling both freestyle and greco roman. wrestling, like mma, is only about endurance if the two guys are evenly matched and not very aggressive.

the "hardest part" about mma would depend on who you were fighting. if the guy was super fast, then the hardest part would be being able to land a blow on him. if the guy was super strong the hardest part would be getting hit by him, if the guy was like rocky and could take a million of your hardest hits then the challenge is walkign out alive.

its all about how hard you can hit and how hard of a hit you can take..  speed can play into it, but this isnt built by endurance cardio

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
The best fighters are often the most mellow fellas, so nothing to worry.
The wannabes will have their balls crushed in the weight stack.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »

;D

spinnis

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 01:30:53 PM »
like mma, is only about endurance if the two guys are evenly matched and not very aggressive.

seriously, I think you're just acting retarded.

So If I was an AGRESSIVE fighter and tried to FINISH the fight hey lets take Carwin vs Lesnar for example, then Endurance doesn't matter right? thats why carwin gassed his fucking ass off right?

stick to talking about aas bro.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 01:37:17 PM »
I am short and buff... Now that bodybuilding is not popular, I have no choice but to become a cage fighter...

QFT. If you walk around jacked people just laugh and think steroids, oil and thongs. Put on a TapOut shirt, sport some tribal tats, maybe shave your head and mean mug people and people think you're a cage fighter. Much higher up the food chain than a bodybuilder.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 01:46:10 PM »
I'll give boxing this: even at the height of it's popularity boxing never ever produced the douche bags that MMA did and does. No one who was not actually a boxer ever paraded themselves around in public as such. In fact, there was no way anyone would know you were even a serious boxer unless they knew you personally or were asked how you got that black eye.

I'm a big fan of MMA and sat in the same room (many other students were there) when Rorion talked about bringing the Vale Tudo-like fights they had in Brasil over to the US. The beginning of the UFC. At that time it was just the open challenge where guys from other schools would come over to fight and if they won they would get $10,000.

Never did anyone imagine how popular it would get and how a new breed of douche bags would be created.

Mussolini

• Getbig IV
  • riding shotgun on the team Nasser War wagon
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 02:08:34 PM »
I covered this in a diff thread but I will re-post:

MMA is a rag tag bunch of misfits who couldn't cut it in boxing, football, or wrestling. Typically guys with a chip on their shoulder. They still have "something to prove" They literally "support" the industry not only as participants but also fans .

Take a moment and think of the type guys you see wearing tap out and monarchy shit. Shaved heads, covered in tats, go-tees, juiced up, no college degrees, low level jobs ( if any).
Another key component is that the MMA fan boys will take it VERY PERSONAL if you make a dig on MMA. For what ever reason they get very offended.

Why is this? I will tell you why, because it is their identity! Latching onto MMA by watching PAY-Per view fights, wearing the Tap out shit, shaved head , talking about diff fighting styles ( but never actually practicing them ) gives them a sense of identity.

Since many of these types have a low self esteem, "short mans complex" or chip on their shoulder, the Bad ass tuff guy , brusier persona that goes along with the MMA industry serves its purpose by giviing these wanna bees something to cling to. They adopt it as their M.O. , their identity, what people know them as, etc. In the end Resulting is a pathetic , silly joke of a person.

TapOut shirts are gay and I agree with your post to an extent but dont think it speaks for every MMArtist, or even the majority. After university the only vessel I had to utilize my wrestling skills was MMA. I wasnt good enough to make the olympic team but I was decent enough to make the squad every year so does that make me "somone who couldnt cut it in wrestling"? Maybe, maybe not but as it stand there is no money in wrestling so MMA gives even the elite wrestlers a chance to cash in on their skills. For myself, taking an MMA fight 1-2 times a year keeps me motivated to stay in shape and eat healthy, and it is quite a rush being in the cage, thats for sure. I can't speak for anyone other than myself though. As a side note, I think Anyone who has to brag to people that they are an "mma fighter" and wears tapout clothing fits the billl that you describe in your post.
shotgun on the team

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 02:35:54 PM »
I have never ever seen a MMA guy hit the speed bag even once, only boxers..

Link me to some of these videos..

and Im no boxer but Im guessing it helps with cordination and muscle endurance etc.

I have no idea why you are drawn to these threads when its apparent that you know absolutly Nothing..,?

How the fuck would Just hitting a bag benefit a MMA guy?!?! He would GAS within 15 sec in his real fight.
Endurance for wrestling is a whole other story           which you should know!!  are you just playing stupid or what? :)

Interesting you mention that.  In my Muay Thai class, we work on the speed bag all the time, along with hitting pads, heavy bags and sparing.  We're not just training to punch, but also to elbow, knee & kick.
w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2010, 02:43:05 PM »
I covered this in a diff thread but I will re-post:

MMA is a rag tag bunch of misfits who couldn't cut it in boxing, football, or wrestling. Typically guys with a chip on their shoulder. They still have "something to prove" They literally "support" the industry not only as participants but also fans .

Take a moment and think of the type guys you see wearing tap out and monarchy shit. Shaved heads, covered in tats, go-tees, juiced up, no college degrees, low level jobs ( if any).
Another key component is that the MMA fan boys will take it VERY PERSONAL if you make a dig on MMA. For what ever reason they get very offended.

Why is this? I will tell you why, because it is their identity! Latching onto MMA by watching PAY-Per view fights, wearing the Tap out shit, shaved head , talking about diff fighting styles ( but never actually practicing them ) gives them a sense of identity.

Since many of these types have a low self esteem, "short mans complex" or chip on their shoulder, the Bad ass tuff guy , brusier persona that goes along with the MMA industry serves its purpose by giviing these wanna bees something to cling to. They adopt it as their M.O. , their identity, what people know them as, etc. In the end Resulting is a pathetic , silly joke of a person.

In my experience, most real MMA fighters, don't look like what you described.  My wrestling coach went to Iowa State university where he was a division 1 champ.  He is a college grad and has no tatoos.  My BJJ coach, also a college graduate is a BJJ black belt under gracie.  He owns his own gym and does well for himself.  My Muay Thai coach, also a college grad, is a full time cop.  

The guys I train with range in age from 18-50.  It's a mixed bag of people.  Some have extensive backgrounds in some form of martial arts and are trying to learn a new one.  Some wrestled in college and want to continue to compete.  Some are actually training to become "cage fighters".  Others, like me, are just a fan of MMA and enjoy learning it and practicing it.

I spent years training as a bodybuilder and I can tell you that the MMA gym rat is a whole different animal from the bodybuilding gym rat.  In a good way.
w

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 02:44:19 PM »
Well, because anyone can do it.
Buy a Tapout shirt, go to your fighting class 3x a week...BOOM you're a fighter.

Much like pretending to be a bodybuilder and ingesting steroids.  ANYONE can do this.  Why do you think so many do?

Now, kicking ass in a gym on no drugs...careful, this requires actual work and genetics.  I don't recommend this to most people.
Off to the land of make believe, Gold's Gym.  Where everyone is a bber on a cycle, and nothing without.  Grrrr! haah

N

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 02:46:10 PM »
I think that the characterization of aspiring Mixed Martial Artists given above is totally unfair. I would venture to guess that maybe 5-10% of the people you see wearing tap out shirts and telling total strangers they "cage fight" actually fight MMA.

There is a huge difference between cross training in your spare time or attending MMA classes two nights a week ( which you can do at any Tiger Schulmans) and actually fighting MMA as an amateur or professional.

The reason why it "appears" that everyone cage fights in their spare time, is because MMA has become very popular among the the most insecure demographic of the population-- Males between 17-30.

Anybody can look the part, but the reality is that most people, including those who train in traditional martial arts have never even been in a real fight before or taken a punch.

Guys who box, train in MMA or in other forms of competitive fighting are usually the anthiesis of the tap out douchebags you see walking around in the street or at bars trying to guillotine their pals. The same principle goes for anything in life where people like to run their mouths. Those who talk don't know and those who know don't talk.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 02:55:52 PM »
So you equate how many pull ups somebody does with how they handle themselves in hand-to-hand combat?  Interesting...

From what I understand, pull up strength is crucial while trying to grab the opponent. It's an age old measurement used by wrestlers.

but you're not a boxer even after 5 years....

Care to explain what this means?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2010, 02:58:29 PM »
TapOut TUF Newbies are the equivalent of 150 pencil-neck geeks you see walking around with a Valeo belt, lifting gloves, Otomix shoes, 1980's parachute pants and a bodybuilding.com gym bag full of Muscle-Teck & BSN supps.  
w

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 03:13:43 PM »
My cousins new boyfriend - "I cage fight in my spare time"

The new guy at work "Im training to be a cage fighter"

The car dealer i went to Monday "I do a bit of the old cage fighting"

WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE!!!!????

I don't think it's much different then everyone getting their real estate license, attempting to master Texas Hold Em, the increase in people going to chef school because of the Food network, the non-stop flow of new hip hop "artists" and their own record labels and the never ending stream of non-celebrity celebrities on reality tv....it's the current it thing to do or be.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2010, 03:29:23 PM »
My cousins new boyfriend - "I cage fight in my spare time"

The new guy at work "Im training to be a cage fighter"

The car dealer i went to Monday "I do a bit of the old cage fighting"

WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE!!!!????
Cage Fighting, MMA is the new "karate", or "nijutsu", or tae kwon do. Remember all of the Karate films oof the 70s and 80s and the "nijutsu" films of the 80s early 90s? Same deal. Or the Kim's Karate commericals, "Nobody Bothers Me---call US-1000...", same deal, same type of people. People want to belong, men want to be bad asses, especially in a society in which said men have been devalued, or are not making that much money, but it's presumed that everybody is making money. Being a badass "gets" respect--see something familiar? Just like bbing, most who get into it are insecure about it, and once they get big, then they have respect.

spinnis

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »
Interesting you mention that.  In my Muay Thai class, we work on the speed bag all the time, along with hitting pads, heavy bags and sparing.  We're not just training to punch, but also to elbow, knee & kick.

you train for a difference type of endurance as a mauy thai fighter vs a mma guy, and yes you added sparring which is what tbombz ignored to mention which is imo one of the most importatnt things in mma training. So JUST DOING PADS and no sparring would result in shit.

spinnis

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2010, 03:42:51 PM »
TapOut TUF Newbies are the equivalent of 150 pencil-neck geeks you see walking around with a Valeo belt, lifting gloves, Otomix shoes, 1980's parachute pants and a bodybuilding.com gym bag full of Muscle-Teck & BSN supps.  

Best post in the thread.