Author Topic: Scott Steiner shoots hardcore on other wrestlers / backstage politics...  (Read 16227 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Steiner rips up everyone in latest interview and to the truth....

The Baltimore Sun has a new interview up with Scott Steiner, where he essentially rips into everyone...except Hulk Hogan. Highlights are below.

On Triple H: "Look at Triple H's career before he started (having sex with) the boss' daughter: He lost to Ultimate Warrior in 30 seconds; he was losing to guys like Alex Wright in WCW; he lost to one of the Godwins in a pig slop match. And then all of a sudden he's [having sex with] the boss' daughter and he's the toughest guy in the world. I'm not the only guy who thinks that. It's no secret what Kurt Angle thought of Triple H and Shawn Michaels. Here's one story I got from Kurt: Triple H was trying to block Kurt Angle from winning the [WWE] world title. He said in a meeting, "I think Kurt Angle's too small." And Jerry Brisco stood up and said, "Well, what do you think would happen if you guys fought for real?" And he sat down, shut his mouth and they ran with it. They wanted me to do a steroid test when I resigned with the company back in 2002 and I told them sure...just have Hunter pick me up in his limo and we'll go get tested together. Next thing I knew they said forget about it and it was dropped."

On Shawn Michaels: "Shawn Michaels is one of those wise-cracking guys who would say a smart comment to you, but then if you face him, he would run and cry somewhere. That's exactly what happened one time when he was cutting down the Harris Brothers – I think it was Don Harris. Finally, he had enough. He waited until Shawn Michaels got in the room, kicked everybody out of the room, shut the door, grabbed him by the neck and was going to pound the [heck] out of him. A tear came down his eye. He turned around, started laughing and walked out. That is Shawn Michaels in a nutshell. A classic pussy."

On Ric Flair: "As for Ric Flair, I could go on and on. I was there one time when we were doing TV tapings at Center Stage [in Atlanta], and Rick Rude followed Flair around for about an hour and just totally blistered him. He told him he looked like hell and he was friends with the booker, totally blistering him. Finally, Flair had enough, left and did not come back to Center Stage until after the TV taping started. People think I'm making this stuff up."

On Hulk Hogan: "The main guy you have to have respect for is Hogan. Hogan was the man. I remember when I was [in WWE], Chief Jay Strongbow used to call him the golden goose. He always said he could lay a golden egg. That was the respect that Hogan had – because he drew. The greatest is the one who draws the money. Would you rather be a 16-time world champion like Flair or would you rather be like Bruno, who had a 10-year run like he had and always sold out Madison Square Garden? That's respect, man."

On Steve Austin & The Rock:"You have to respect the guys that have set attendance records and drew a lot of money – like "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. And, of course, The Rock, not only for what he's done in wrestling, but what he's doing right now in the movies, which is unprecedented, where a wrestler has been so successful in Hollywood."

On Kurt Angle: "One of the guys that I most respect is Kurt Angle. When he left WWE, I think a lot of people thought he was the best wrestler there. Not only that, but he was an Olympic champion. I think a lot of people don't realize how hard it is to be an Olympic champion. Wrestlers in general I respect, because it's a hard life."

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Steiner....kissing Hogans ass to try to open the door to TNA.  Acting like Hogan is the only wreslter to ever sell out anything.....yeah, I guess those 200,000 that Flair put in the seats in North Korea in the Pyongyang Stadium in 1995 don't count, huh?

And to take a cheap shot at Bruno, who carried the banner for the WWWF and WWF thru the 70's when business was damn good, just shows his ignorance for wrestling history.

He's a washed-up clown who lived off his brother for the better part of his career, his mic skills were so bad in the old WCW that he was barely allowed to speak....then juiced to the gills and had moderate success before screwing that up with his big mouth.

And another point about Flair.....how does Rick Rude being an ass make Flair look bad?  Would a lot of guys threw down with Rude?  Sure, but you don't stay ON TOP in the wrestling business for 25 yrs like Flair has and conduct yourself that way.

Just bitter.

Playboy

• Getbig V
He pretty on the money with most of it. Flair did play his politics backstage in the old NWA days with Dusty booking him to be on top all the time. I thought he plugged Bruno well and basically told the truth about Hogan, the Rock, Michaels & Austin.

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
Scott knows which side his bread is buttered on. Good interview!
Almost always, yes.

Playboy

• Getbig V
Scott knows which side his bread is buttered on. Good interview!
It was. There was a lot more but I didn't have enough room to post it here. I like Scott Stiener shoot interviews. He basically tells it like it is and doesn't hold back. Not to mention he is feared bigtime backstage. He's been in the pen a few times and isn't afraid to crack someone in the jaw if they cross him.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Steiner....kissing Hogans ass to try to open the door to TNA.  Acting like Hogan is the only wreslter to ever sell out anything.....yeah, I guess those 200,000 that Flair put in the seats in North Korea in the Pyongyang Stadium in 1995 don't count, huh?

And to take a cheap shot at Bruno, who carried the banner for the WWWF and WWF thru the 70's when business was damn good, just shows his ignorance for wrestling history.

He's a washed-up clown who lived off his brother for the better part of his career, his mic skills were so bad in the old WCW that he was barely allowed to speak....then juiced to the gills and had moderate success before screwing that up with his big mouth.

And another point about Flair.....how does Rick Rude being an ass make Flair look bad?  Would a lot of guys threw down with Rude?  Sure, but you don't stay ON TOP in the wrestling business for 25 yrs like Flair has and conduct yourself that way.

Just bitter.
I think he was praising Bruno for his run and selling out MSG.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
Hogan sold out MSG more then 50 times. Flair never did it once.

Yeah, it was Hogan all by himself..... ::)  And Hogan never drew 200,000 to a match with thousands of others turned away.  So....

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
I think he was praising Bruno for his run and selling out MSG.

Ah, my bad, my 2nd grade education fails me at times.  8)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
He pretty on the money with most of it. Flair did play his politics backstage in the old NWA days with Dusty booking him to be on top all the time. I thought he plugged Bruno well and basically told the truth about Hogan, the Rock, Michaels & Austin.

ALL wrestlers do/did the backstage politics....but I've heard the exact opposite reports about Rhodes in regards to Flair from numerous sources.  Dusty always felt he should have carried the strap, but it really didn't matter who thought what as from my understanding the NWA had annual meetings where it was decided, not by individual bookers.   Dusty certainly booked himself a lot of programs with Flair, which made perfect sense as they were a huge draw.  And ole Scottie is conviently overlooking Flair's 16 championships where many of them were truly a WORLD champion.   Bruno rarely left the northeast, occasionaly Cali.  Same with Hogan's WWF.....Flair was selling out arenas all over the country and world with very little tv exposure.

Look, the whole thing is that Scott has an ax to grind with Flair and will say/do anything to try to make him look bad.  He has no credibilty discussing the issue because he is soooooooo biased.  Much like I am in regards to Hogan and Vince ruining professional wrestling as I knew it and loved it.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Ah, my bad, my 2nd grade education fails me at times.  8)
Too much drinkin out of pappys jam jar. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
Will you post the link to this match if you have it? Who was Flair Wrestling?

Sorry Tim, i don't have a link to the match.   Sure would love to if one exists.  With it being in NK, who knows.

"As far as the Largest wrestling crowd attendance in the world, it would have to be in Pyongyang, North Korea in the Mayday Stadium, which filled an estimated 190,000 people on April 29th, 1995. This was part of a three-day Pyongyang International Sports and Culture Festival for Peace. The main event was Ric Flair vs. Antonio Inoki which was the first time the two legends ever faced each other (Inoki won in 14:52)."

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
Monty, can't watch it right now, but is that from the actual event?  If so, as usual, you are the man!  Even though you haven't beat the man.... ;D

Montague

• Getbig V

Montague

• Getbig V
Monty, can't watch it right now, but is that from the actual event?  If so, as usual, you are the man!  Even though you haven't beat the man.... ;D

I believe that was a three-day event.
I don’t know if Ric & Inoki wrestled more than once.
The one clip lists an April 29 date.

If none of these are the one, I’m confident we can still find what you want based on the fact that this footage exists.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V

I believe that was a three-day event.
I don’t know if Ric & Inoki wrestled more than once.
The one clip lists an April 29 date.

If none of these are the one, I’m confident we can still find what you want based on the fact that this footage exists.

It was a 3 day event where the record was set, Flair and Inoki were the main event of the whole thing.  Always thought it was cool how respected wrestling is in SE Asia....just a different feel and quality to the whole thing.

Montague

• Getbig V
Oh, yea…
We used to study Japanese footage because the promoter of the outfit I trained with was a huge mark for NJPW/AJPW.

When the guys executed a highspot or some other complex, well-executed sequence over there, the fans didn’t jump around and scream like they do here in the States.
They just politely stood and clapped.

That was a hard concept for a lot of western workers to grasp.
They thought the (lack of) reaction indicated fans’ dissatisfacton.

Montague

• Getbig V
The other major difference is the wrestlers’ interaction with the fans - you could actually get physical with them.
Tiger Jeet Singh used to smack fans with the flat side of his sword.
Stan Hansen used to whip people with the rope on his cowbell.

I posted a clip of Sabu walking to the ring when some kid grabbed and ripped the turban from his head.
Sabu leaped over the guardrail and punched the kid with a closed fist.  

Andre once worked a show that was held on the roof of a building.
The promoter begged him not to chase any fans for fear they would run/fall off the roof.
Andre demanded an extra $10,000 to not chase anyone AND GOT IT!

The Bulldogs were “encouraged” by a promoter to get some heat on the crowd in All Japan.
As they walked to the ring one night, a kid patted Tom on the back “a little too hard,” so Tom & Davey grabbed him & pulled him into the aisle.
They stomped the shit out of him and I think Davey picked him up and “ran” into pillar (or something) with him.
This sounded like part work/part shoot, but it landed the cousins in jail for a few nights, they got paid their promised rate even while locked up, and the promoters paid to bail them out.

I’m sure that Baba could have ordered them sprung sooner, and Shinma (Baba‘s "George Scott") always had a briefcase full of cash on him.
But, the story of two “evil” western wrestlers being locked up for a couple of nights drew huge numbers at the shows, which were already doing well.
The arenas were packed after that!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
The other major difference is the wrestlers’ interaction with the fans - you could actually get physical with them.
Tiger Jeet Singh used to smack fans with the flat side of his sword.
Stan Hansen used to whip people with the rope on his cowbell.

I posted a clip of Sabu walking to the ring when some kid grabbed and ripped the turban from his head.
Sabu leaped over the guardrail and punched the kid with a closed fist.  

Andre once worked a show that was held on the roof of a building.
The promoter begged him not to chase any fans for fear they would run/fall off the roof.
Andre demanded an extra $10,000 to not chase anyone AND GOT IT!

The Bulldogs were “encouraged” by a promoter to get some heat on the crowd in All Japan.
As they walked to the ring one night, a kid patted Tom on the back “a little too hard,” so Tom & Davey grabbed him & pulled him into the aisle.
They stomped the shit out of him and I think Davey picked him up and “ran” into pillar (or something) with him.
This sounded like part work/part shoot, but it landed the cousins in jail for a few nights, they got paid their promised rate even while locked up, and the promoters paid to bail them out.

I’m sure that Baba could have ordered them sprung sooner, and Shinma (Baba‘s "George Scott") always had a briefcase full of cash on him.
But, the story of two “evil” western wrestlers being locked up for a couple of nights drew huge numbers at the shows, which were already doing well.
The arenas were packed after that!

Great stories.  Wish they would let a few wrestlers smack some of the idiots I've witnessed at shows...haha.... as long as it wasn't me!

The asian fans just always seemed so focused into what was going on....witness your talking about them applauding.....where really since the cartoon WWF era, many US fans just want to hold up a sign or attempt to look "cool."  I like that the asians, especially Japanese, suspend belief for a few hours and just buy into what is going on.  I'm sure they run regular tv programing, and I think it would be so much more fun to watch than what we get now.

Playboy

• Getbig V
Oh, yea…
We used to study Japanese footage because the promoter of the outfit I trained with was a huge mark for NJPW/AJPW.

When the guys executed a highspot or some other complex, well-executed sequence over there, the fans didn’t jump around and scream like they do here in the States.
They just politely stood and clapped.

That was a hard concept for a lot of western workers to grasp.
They thought the (lack of) reaction indicated fans’ dissatisfacton.

Exactly. There is a huge difference between the crowds in the orient and the crowds here.

Montague

• Getbig V
I grew to have quite a bit of contempt for many fans.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V

haha, tell us some stories?  Things that ticked you off, etc...

Playboy

• Getbig V

Lol...I can see it now....Mont is on his way to the ring, a fan gets in his face and he back slaps him back into his seat.  ;D

I remember a story of Andre once on his day off, having an espresso coffee whilst in Europe back in 1988. A crazy fan kept harrassing the shit out of him and he was already jetlagged and tired from the travelling. He knocked the table over and litterally chased this guy off the cafe patio. Fans were buying into it because Andra was in the middle of his hhel run with Bobby Heenan at the time. Why anyone would want to bother a guy who is 7'5" tall and weighs over 500lbs is beyond me.

Montague

• Getbig V
Lol...I can see it now....Mont is on his way to the ring, a fan gets in his face and he back slaps him back into his seat.  ;D

In Japan, you could get away with that to a surprising degree...
And, Andre truly loathed most people - especially later in his career.

haha, tell us some stories?  Things that ticked you off, etc...

Ha-ha…really no specific instances.
I guess I just took for granted that everyone these days was “smart” and capable of watching & enjoying a wrestling show for what it is.

Suffice to say there are still marks!

The Japanese fans seem to realize & acknowledge that it’s a work and appreciate the performance.
North American indy-fans…
They fail to suspend disbelief the way you would at a magic show or play.
They watch it as if it’s a football game, and seem to miss out on enjoying what it truly is.
As a result, there's a lot of work that goes unappreciated.

It really lowered my faith in mankind, in general.
 :)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
In Japan, you could get away with that to a surprising degree...
And, Andre truly loathed most people - especially later in his career.

Ha-ha…really no specific instances.
I guess I just took for granted that everyone these days was “smart” and capable of watching & enjoying a wrestling show for what it is.

Suffice to say there are still marks!

The Japanese fans seem to realize & acknowledge that it’s a work and appreciate the performance.
North American indy-fans…
They fail to suspend disbelief the way you would at a magic show or play.
They watch it as if it’s a football game, and seem to miss out on enjoying what it truly is.
As a result, there's a lot of work that goes unappreciated.

It really lowered my faith in mankind, in general.
 :)

I'm sure it did.  I would think it would be better to have an audience of marks than "smarks" who purposely try to point out botches, react the opposite of what they "should", etc...  and you are right, so many people don't understand that its much like watching a live play....not to get too philisophical, but the parrallels are there.  You don't see people at plays pointing out that the house in the background is fake, or worried that the two leads aren't really in love, etc...