Author Topic: Anyone ever train in LA Fitness?  (Read 5060 times)

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Anyone ever train in LA Fitness?
« on: August 03, 2010, 09:43:54 PM »

Are they "bodybuilder friendly"?  Will they yell at me  if I grunt as I train and do heavy deadlifts?  I'm not saying I sit there and scream and throw weights all over the place, just the usual bodybuilding training!

They similar to Golds or extremely different?

Anyone have experience?

Thanks guys!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
Re: Anyone ever train in LA Fitness?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:55:45 PM »
Why not do heavy deadlifts and not grunt? It can be done you know.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:57:27 PM »
Why not do heavy deadlifts and not grunt? It can be done you know.

Will they let me do heavy deadlifts, some gyms will come yell at you if you the weights are being loud when you go down!  Again not saying horrible, just normal training with like 300-500 lbs, will this be an issue?

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »
Will they let me do heavy deadlifts, some gyms will come yell at you if you the weights are being loud when you go down!  Again not saying horrible, just normal training with like 300-500 lbs, will this be an issue?

If they give you a problem. Tell them that its bullshit and say something about race. The next day, come in wearing a turban and have a friend video tape your workout. I'll take a guess and say that you won't have a problem. That is of course as long as you are on the correct side of the mason dixon line ;)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:22:20 PM »
If they give you a problem. Tell them that its bullshit and say something about race. The next day, come in wearing a turban and have a friend video tape your workout. I'll take a guess and say that you won't have a problem. That is of course as long as you are on the correct side of the mason dixson line ;)
I knew a guy that got kicked out of an LA fitness for FARTING at girls while working out.
He is still my idol and role model

PORKY

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:23:59 PM »
They had one in Singapore..opened for a very short while then went bust!  ;D
P

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »
It's typical of most modern day health clubs (24, Ballys, most Golds). All fag gyms -- err health clubs.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 10:47:12 PM »
It's typical of most modern day health clubs (24, Ballys, most Golds). All fag gyms -- err health clubs.

Well I train at a Corporate owned Golds right now...  so you're saying it'll be similar?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »
Well I train at a Corporate owned Golds right now...  so you're saying it'll be similar?

Are there fat soccer moms doing cardio? Tools sitting on equipment text messaging? Old hags gossiping around the Nautilus machines? Ass clown shadow boxing? 135 pound twinks always lifting their shirt up to look at their abs in the mirror?

Temple gym, Metro-Flex, Kolosseum and no name hole in the wall places are the only place left where you can grunt and use chalk.

Actually, from what I've heard, Power House is a pretty good gym chain. Don't mind me. I've been training at 24 Hr lately for the equipment variety but the crowd there sucks so I'm a little bitter.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 11:01:12 PM »
Are there fat soccer moms doing cardio? Tools sitting on equipment text messaging? Old hags gossiping around the Nautilus machines? Ass clown shadow boxing? 135 pound twinks always lifting their shirt up to look at their abs in the mirror?

Temple gym, Metro-Flex, Kolosseum and no name hole in the wall places are the only place left where you can grunt and use chalk.

Actually, from what I've heard, Power House is a pretty good gym chain. Don't mind me. I've been training at 24 Hr lately for the equipment variety but the crowd there sucks so I'm a little bitter.

I don't care about the crowd, nor do I care if its not a HARDCORE Hole in the wall with dog shit on the wall and 500 lbs dumells.  I just want a good gym, clean, variety of equipment, and where people will just leave me be as I train!

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:28:46 PM »
I don't care about the crowd, nor do I care if its not a HARDCORE Hole in the wall with dog shit on the wall and 500 lbs dumells.  I just want a good gym, clean, variety of equipment, and where people will just leave me be as I train!

I really wish I was like that. I am effected by my surroundings. When I'm surrounded by motivated intense people it stokes the fire. When I'm around lightweights that just get in the way it's just one more obstacle to over come.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 12:54:36 AM »
California sucks as far as gyms go.  When I was living in the midwest there were mom and pop dungeon type gyms all over the place.  Here in Socal there is nothing but LA, 24hr, etc.  Metrx is in my area but that place isn't much better.  With all the older schmoes and meatheads with no life it's even worse.  At least the LA/24hrs and what not have good looking chicks.  When I trained at Metrx the only thing I saw were retired old saggy bitches in spandex. 

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 01:05:06 AM »
California sucks as far as gyms go.  When I was living in the midwest there were mom and pop dungeon type gyms all over the place.  Here in Socal there is nothing but LA, 24hr, etc.  Metrx is in my area but that place isn't much better.  With all the older schmoes and meatheads with no life it's even worse.  At least the LA/24hrs and what not have good looking chicks.  When I trained at Metrx the only thing I saw were retired old saggy bitches in spandex. 

Is Metrx a MetroFlex franchise?

The problem with Cali is it's so expensive. Hole in the wall places just can't survive. They have to charge more and offer less than the major chains. One of the huge advantages of the major chains is the hours. They're open everyday 24 hrs or close to it.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 01:12:29 AM »
Is Metrx a MetroFlex franchise?

The problem with Cali is it's so expensive. Hole in the wall places just can't survive. They have to charge more and offer less than the major chains. One of the huge advantages of the major chains is the hours. They're open everyday 24 hrs or close to it.

Yeah you're right Cali is too expensive for mom and pop gyms.  No Metrx is a craphole in Costa Mesa.  The Coach trains there.  It's the closest thing to a mom and pop gym I can think of but even it still sucks.  There was a place in Des Peres, MO called BodyShapers.  One of the coolest fucking gyms I ever trained in filled with big dudes and awesome equipment. 

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 02:12:17 AM »
Yeah you're right Cali is too expensive for mom and pop gyms.  No Metrx is a craphole in Costa Mesa.  The Coach trains there.  It's the closest thing to a mom and pop gym I can think of but even it still sucks.  There was a place in Des Peres, MO called BodyShapers.  One of the coolest fucking gyms I ever trained in filled with big dudes and awesome equipment. 

Have you ever checked out Koloseum? If I was still living in Cali that seems like the kind of gym I would like. To bad about Milos. Hopefully someone will take it over and keep it running.

Colby

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 07:36:45 AM »
I train at a LA Fitness.  It isn't a hardcore gym by any means.  Just your basic franchise, fitness gym.  I've done heavy deads but I control weight and don't just drop it when I'm done.  I'm sure it would partly depend on your attitude and the vibe you put off.  Some people walk around with a scoul on their face, grunting and making noise.  Most people don't care to be around that. I'm probably one of maybe five or six people in my gym that have competed that I know of.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 07:45:59 AM »
I used to train at one and the positives were the mad pussy that worked out there.  Other than that it was a twink fantasy.  Only a couple of benches but a ton of hammer strength.

The "personal trainers" are a bunch of assholes.  They will take up one of the two bench presses so their client can actually stand on the bench with one leg while holding a rope and being tugged at.  Not sure what the fuck they do.

I ended up leaving after some bitch decides to lay a towel down in between two benches, I'm on one doing dumbbell presses and another dude is on the other doing seated curls.  She lays the towel down to start doing abs.  WTF!  She was a foot away from me.  So I proceed to do benches and let the dumbbells hit the floor.  They were easily about 3 feet away.  She stands up and starts yelling all sort of bullshit at how I almost killed her, blah blah.  I told her to fuck off before I knock her teeth out.  She then yells and screams running to the front.  Some twink manager tries telling me that I shouldn't handle the weights like that.  he doesn't bother to tell the ignorant kunt that she shouldn't do abs on the floor between two benchs with people actually working out on them.  I go ballistic.  I was about to punch the fuck out of them both.  But I just got fed up with trying to workout in a gym with shadow boxers in the squat rack, rope shit on the bench press and the other bullshit that goes on and ended up dropping $3000 on gym equipment for my garage.  It was the best decision I ever made.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 07:56:22 AM »
Are they "bodybuilder friendly"?  Will they yell at me  if I grunt as I train and do heavy deadlifts?  I'm not saying I sit there and scream and throw weights all over the place, just the usual bodybuilding training!

Anyone have experience?

Thanks guys!

Do they have enough TV's for you Big Ach ?

newmom

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 08:00:08 AM »
I did in Feb when I was in San Diego. It was big but they wanted to charge me 50 bucks for a week and I basically said go bag sand. As I was walking out, they said 25 would be the lowest. So I paid it. Good thing about the one I went to was a huge day care room. I saw some pretty big dudes at the one I was at. But what made me LMAO was the "steroid message in the ladies Bathroom/shower area"

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 08:11:34 AM »

Anyone have experience?

Thanks guys!

It depends. I went to one in Orlando, with a guest pass. And, that had to be the cleanest gym I'd ever seen. Oh, they had plenty of toys (dumbbells up to 150 lbs, at least three flat benches, power racks, etc). But, every thing was so SHINY. The pads on the benches were jet black; the chrome bars were blinging. Plenty of rubber-coated plates with virtually NO scratches on them whatsoever.

I was almost afraid to train there, as the place was so clean. Even the locker rooms were immaculate. You almost want to hold your bladder.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 08:18:51 AM »
I did in Feb when I was in San Diego. It was big but they wanted to charge me 50 bucks for a week and I basically said go bag sand. As I was walking out, they said 25 would be the lowest. So I paid it. Good thing about the one I went to was a huge day care room. I saw some pretty big dudes at the one I was at. But what made me LMAO was the "steroid message in the ladies Bathroom/shower area"

Ok I'll bite.  What's the message, 6060842?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 08:41:53 AM »
Basil would love it, its full of shiny machines.

newmom

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 08:42:40 AM »
Ok I'll bite.  What's the message, 6060842?

um nope. Said steroids are illegal, it's not condoned at any la fitness clubs bla bla

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 08:45:27 AM »
um nope. Said steroids are illegal, it's not condoned at any la fitness clubs bla bla

Lawyerocracy!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 09:02:08 AM »

Anyone have experience?

Thanks guys!

sure they had their share of steroid dealers busted just like most of the gold's in my area.
F