Author Topic: Anyone ever train in LA Fitness?  (Read 5057 times)

erokyrwrld

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Anyone ever train in LA Fitness?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 10:52:17 AM »
Ok I'll bite.  What's the message, 6060842?

They have a similar sign at the LA Fitness I go to in the men's room.  Its pretty funny for a few reasons:
1.  I've never been in another gym that had such a sign
2.  The place has more obvious users than any other gym I've ever belonged to, and
3.  The sign is really non-threatening.  It basically says steroids may cause growth plate closure in teens, gyno and baldness, and may subject you to civil/criminal penalties, but it doesn't mention the serious sides like liver, kidney, cardiac issues, etc.  Its kind of like if cigarette manufacturers put a warning like - these might be bad for you *shoulder shrug*

Overall, its been a good experience though.  Granted there's very little powerlifting going on, but that's more a function of the members, its not discouraged.  All the equipment is brand new and well maintained.  And, there is a ton of eye-candy everywhere (female).  Of course, being in CT, there's also quite a few gays pretending to workout and really just watching other dudes.  Creepy, but I've found its like that in every gym I've belonged to in CT and MA.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 10:53:18 AM »
one year ago today women were shot and killed at la fitness

E
E

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 11:05:54 AM »

MCWAY....  Thats exactly where I was looking, LA Fitness in Orlando, off of 436 close near Lake Howell.  Is that the one you trained at? 

I don't throw weights around like an ass or drop the bar hard when I deadlift, I'm just talking regular normal sounds of deadlifting with 400+ lbs, you know?  I don't really care if its hardcore or not, as long as it has a wide variety of good machines, dumbells to 100 lbs or more.  As for my attitude, I like to think I'm not an asshole and dont walk around like I'm gigantic and will step on every twink.  I just go in there train alone, listening to my music, if people talk to me I'm very friendly. 

Thats all!

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 11:11:44 AM »

Well if there are signs against using steroids then there must have been incidents there  ;D

Sounds great!!  Seems like we might just have a winner!

Any of you know how much a year memberships there is?  I won't be able to go in until next week!

I train in Golds in Rockville, MD right now and pay around 35/month!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »

MCWAY....  Thats exactly where I was looking, LA Fitness in Orlando, off of 436 close near Lake Howell.  Is that the one you trained at? 

I don't throw weights around like an ass or drop the bar hard when I deadlift, I'm just talking regular normal sounds of deadlifting with 400+ lbs, you know?  I don't really care if its hardcore or not, as long as it has a wide variety of good machines, dumbells to 100 lbs or more.  As for my attitude, I like to think I'm not an asshole and dont walk around like I'm gigantic and will step on every twink.  I just go in there train alone, listening to my music, if people talk to me I'm very friendly. 

Thats all!

NOPE!! Actually, as I now recall, the one at which I trained was in Ocoee (a suburb of Orlando, for those who don't know), off Silver Star Road.

erokyrwrld

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 11:46:41 AM »
The rates vary and in my experience are discretionary (at least with respect to the enrollment).  When I started my new job, I called and asked how much.  They said $35/month with a $100 enrollment fee - I told them I would come in the next day at lunch to check it out.  I didn't.  By 2pm, they called and told me they would drop the fee to $50.  I said I would come in the next day at lunch.  I didn't.  Day 3 they called at 2pm, this time the manager, and said that deal ending that day would drop the enrollment to $0, and that's when I went.  You have to pay first and last month's dues, but the contracts are month to month; i.e., no requirement to sign up for 2 years.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 12:05:09 PM »
MCWAY are you from Orlando?

The rates vary and in my experience are discretionary (at least with respect to the enrollment).  When I started my new job, I called and asked how much.  They said $35/month with a $100 enrollment fee - I told them I would come in the next day at lunch to check it out.  I didn't.  By 2pm, they called and told me they would drop the fee to $50.  I said I would come in the next day at lunch.  I didn't.  Day 3 they called at 2pm, this time the manager, and said that deal ending that day would drop the enrollment to $0, and that's when I went.  You have to pay first and last month's dues, but the contracts are month to month; i.e., no requirement to sign up for 2 years.

There are gyms that make you sign up for 2 years LOL?  I'm paying month to month right now at Golds, the year prior I had paid for the whole year just to get good rate!

LA fitness doesn't sound too bad, hell even with the enrollment fee, but its cool that you can haggle it down! 

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010, 12:12:09 PM »
um nope. Said steroids are illegal, it's not condoned at any la fitness clubs bla bla

Thats odd. And all these years I thought it was perfectly legal with a prescription.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2010, 12:14:22 PM »

There are gyms that make you sign up for 2 years LOL?  I'm paying month to month right now at Golds, the year prior I had paid for the whole year just to get good rate!

LA fitness doesn't sound too bad, hell even with the enrollment fee, but its cool that you can haggle it down! 
Big Ach I would make my decision on whether or not they had TV's in the restroom.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 12:44:59 PM »

Sort of. I've lived there for a number of years, though I consider the Tampa Bay area my home.

I don't have that problem. I'm still using the Bally membership I've had for over 18 years (a Christmas present from my mother, back in '91).

The contract's been paid in full, since 1994. I simply pay for the renewal fee, which (from time to time) is as low as $98.

Two Bally clubs closed recently: the one off Powers Drive and Colonial Drive, which was my favorite (lots of free weights; two power cages, most of the benches bolted to the floor with rubber mats, dumbbells up to 105 lbs, all the good stuff); and the one in Altamonte Springs on 436 a few miles from Altamonte Mall.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »
Big Ach I would make my decision on whether or not they had TV's in the restroom.

Well of course that will play a huge role in my membership.  i'll have to go see for myself and count the numbers of TV's present before I make my decision :-D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »
Well of course that will play a huge role in my membership.  i'll have to go see for myself and count the numbers of TV's present before I make my decision :-D

:D

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »
Sort of. I've lived there for a number of years, though I consider the Tampa Bay area my home.

I don't have that problem. I'm still using the Bally membership I've had for over 18 years (a Christmas present from my mother, back in '91).

The contract's been paid in full, since 1994. I simply pay for the renewal fee, which (from time to time) is as low as $98.

Two Bally clubs closed recently: the one off Powers Drive and Colonial Drive, which was my favorite (lots of free weights; two power cages, most of the benches bolted to the floor with rubber mats, dumbbells up to 105 lbs, all the good stuff); and the one in Altamonte Springs on 436 a few miles from Altamonte Mall.

I ask because I'm gonna be moving down there for sometime!  It looks like I'll be living off of 436 and Red Bug Lake Road.

There is a golds down 436 sorta in front of Altamonte Mall, I've trained there a few times, but 436 is a bitch during rush hours especially in that area.  

Then there is a Lifestyle Family Fitness on Red Bug Lake Road and Tuskawilla, I've trained there a few times and really like it, it used to be a Golds, I was planning on joining there, then I discovered the LA Fitness on 436 which will be less than 2 miles from where I'll be staying so it seems that LA Fitness would be my best bet, but I've never trained there before (or in any LA Fitness) so I dunno what to expect really!

You ever go to Bob's Nutrition on Aloma and 436? :-D

Colby

• Getbig II
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 01:33:12 PM »
I wasn't implying anything.  Just saying I've seen it done.  There are a four of them within 10 miles of my house.  I pay $34 a month and have access to all of them.  It's good for a change of scenery.  I will say the personal trainers are a joke in most cases.  Not that you would need one!!

Thats all!

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 02:02:09 PM »
I wasn't implying anything.  Just saying I've seen it done.  There are a four of them within 10 miles of my house.  I pay $34 a month and have access to all of them.  It's good for a change of scenery.  I will say the personal trainers are a joke in most cases.  Not that you would need one!!

Oh I know you weren't implying anything!!  I was just explaining what I do!  Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for the info my man!

I think it will be a good gym, will probably go check it in person when I'm down there next week!

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 02:22:45 PM »

Going by the pictures on the website, it looks pretty fucking sweet!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 02:27:14 PM »

Looks great no waiting.

newmom

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2010, 02:39:05 PM »
They have a similar sign at the LA Fitness I go to in the men's room.  Its pretty funny for a few reasons:
1.  I've never been in another gym that had such a sign
2.  The place has more obvious users than any other gym I've ever belonged to, and
3.  The sign is really non-threatening.  It basically says steroids may cause growth plate closure in teens, gyno and baldness, and may subject you to civil/criminal penalties, but it doesn't mention the serious sides like liver, kidney, cardiac issues, etc.  Its kind of like if cigarette manufacturers put a warning like - these might be bad for you *shoulder shrug*

Overall, its been a good experience though.  Granted there's very little powerlifting going on, but that's more a function of the members, its not discouraged.  All the equipment is brand new and well maintained.  And, there is a ton of eye-candy everywhere (female).  Of course, being in CT, there's also quite a few gays pretending to workout and really just watching other dudes.  Creepy, but I've found its like that in every gym I've belonged to in CT and MA.

There is no  la fitness in new london county in ct must be in fairfield, new haven county. Yeesh no signs like that golds in new haven

newmom

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2010, 02:46:11 PM »
Thats odd. And all these years I thought it was perfectly legal with a prescription.

I thought to myself "blasphemy". Who knew

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2010, 04:33:35 PM »
I trained at one for a while. Yes, they are bodybuilding friendly.
X

bentone

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2010, 04:40:35 PM »
The LA Fitness Pics just posted are of their Irvine location. I trained there are one time. The gym is packed 24/7. If you are CA there are very few real gyms left.

newmom

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »

that looks just like the one on Mira Mesa Blvd in San Diego

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2010, 05:04:18 PM »
The LA Fitness I trained at is supposedly the biggest one in the country (Long Island, New York). The place is HUGE!! 65,000 square feet!!
X

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2010, 05:45:23 PM »
Midget salesmen trying to get a fat guy to join.

erokyrwrld

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2010, 05:45:27 AM »
There is no  la fitness in new london county in ct must be in fairfield, new haven county. Yeesh no signs like that golds in new haven

I go to the one in Newington on the Berlin Turnpike (Rt 5/15).  Right, though, I also use the Gold's in Enfield on the weekend and no signs there.