Author Topic: U.S. Government is building Mosques overseas with U.S. Taxpayer Dollars.  (Read 13462 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
How come you are not screamig about the US building embassies in Iraq at a cost of HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF TAXPAYER DOLLARS!!!! Did Iraq ask for a US embassy? Did not america already have one there? What about the US embassies built in Somalia? and Ethiopia? How aboutthese war games being played in South Korean waters? or how about the new war games being played in Vietnamese waters? or the latest new surge in war games with South Korea? http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/skoreankoreausmilitarydrill

How much taxpayer money is being wasted on this? and you cry about a mosque? The fact that america is building mosques in other lands should tell you something. Spend less time listening to your forever LYING MSM on these topics whose goal is only to garner viewership/Neilson ratings and nothing more. Sadly for the weak in mind it also garners racial and religious hostility.

You are right, it is a waste of tax dollars and is outrageous. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Bump. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
How come you are not screamig about the US building embassies in Iraq at a cost of HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF TAXPAYER DOLLARS!!!! Did Iraq ask for a US embassy? Did not america already have one there? What about the US embassies built in Somalia? and Ethiopia? How aboutthese war games being played in South Korean waters? or how about the new war games being played in Vietnamese waters? or the latest new surge in war games with South Korea? http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/skoreankoreausmilitarydrill

How much taxpayer money is being wasted on this? and you cry about a mosque? The fact that america is building mosques in other lands should tell you something. Spend less time listening to your forever LYING MSM on these topics whose goal is only to garner viewership/Neilson ratings and nothing more. Sadly for the weak in mind it also garners racial and religious hostility.

You're pointing out other waste and saying we shouldn't be worried about this waste?  ::)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
SAMSON is just angry that the United States is the leading importer of Bananas in the world, thus reducing his food supply.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

U.S. government funds mosque renovation and rehabilitation around the world
By Caroline May - The Daily Caller   2:52 AM 08/24/2010

While much attention has been focused on questions surrounding the Ground Zero mosque and the appropriateness of the State Department funding Ground Zero mosque imam Feisal Abdul Rauf’s trip to the Middle East, little attention has been given to the fact that U.S. taxpayer money is funding mosque development around the world.

Just a cursory search of the term “mosque” on the State Department’s list of “projects” reveals 26 examples of federal funds going to fund construction, renovation, and rehabilitation of various mosques abroad. The benefiting countries include Bulgaria, Pakistan, Mali, Tunisia, Afghanistan, Benin, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania, Egypt, Tunisia, the Maldives, Yemen, Turkmenistan, Tanzania, Uganda, Azerbaijan, Sudan, Serbia and Montenegro.

The U.S. Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation (AFCP) — which is putting millions toward “heritage preservation” projects in the developing world — financed mosque-related projects in all the aforementioned countries.

In Montenegro, for example, the State Department has funded an effort to restore and conserve the Shadrvan (Fountain) of the Old Mosque in Pljevlja. According to the State Department’s website, without needed repairs there would not be a sufficient place for ritual washing before prayer.

“To support the restoration of a fountain at a 16th-century mosque concurrent with the restoration of the mosque itself. Used for ritual ablutions before prayer, the fountain has deteriorated over time and needs a new wooden octagonal roof, pipes, water-taps, and pavement,” the description of the project reads.

Nicole Thompson, a State Department spokeswoman, told The Daily Caller that the U.S. Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation is a type of diplomatic effort and outreach, what she says Secretary of State Hillary Clinton calls “soft power.”

“It is helping to preserve our cultural heritage. It is not just to preserve religious structures,” Thompson said. “It is not to preserve a religion. It is to help us as global inhabitants preserve cultures.”

In a document provided on Monday to Indiana Republican Sen. Richard G. Lugar, ranking member of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, the State Department explained that the practice of funding such projects became acceptable in 2003 when the Justice Department declared that the U.S. Constitution’s Establishment Clause did not preclude federal funds from going to preserve religious structures if they had cultural importance.

The DOJ wrote: “That advice is provided in the following paragraph that appears in every AFCP request for grant proposals… ‘The establishment clause of the U.S. Constitution permits the government to include religious objects and sites within an aid program under certain conditions. For example, an item with a religious connection (including a place of worship) may be the subject of a cultural preservation grant if the item derives its primary significance and is nominated solely on the basis of architectural, artistic, historical or other cultural (not religious) criteria.’”

The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has also spent millions reconstructing and financing multiple mosques in Cairo and Cyprus, as well as providing computers for imams in Tajikistan and Mali.

Interestingly, however, according to the Code of Federal Regulations, “USAID funds may not be used for the acquisition, construction, or rehabilitation of structures to the extent that those structures are used for inherently religious activities.”
USAID press officer Annette Aulton told TheDC that the code did not apply to the mosque construction and the imam computer projects as they were done for ostensibly secular concerns.

“Historic and cultural preservation activities have a clearly secular purpose as do activities to promote tourism,” Aulton wrote in an e-mail. “With respect to the computer center in the mosque in Tajikistan, this activity seems to be part of a larger program aimed at reducing social conflict.”

She continued, “[W]ith respect to the computer equipment provided to the Imam in Mali, there really isn’t enough information to do an analysis. There are references to promotion of the town’s historical, cultural and religious heritage, which sounds like a secular purpose.”

“I think it is disastrously wrongheaded and unconstitutional,” Robert Spencer, director of Jihad Watch, told TheDC in reference to the federal government’s funding of mosque renovation and rehabilitation abroad. “It is not going to accomplish what they hope it will. They are not going to win hearts and minds. It is not as if they are going to say ’the Americans built this mosque for us so we shouldn’t wage jihad on them.’”

Spencer went on to say that the State Department will often explain that it provides funds for cultural reasons, “but a mosque is a mosque is a mosque. It is where prayer happens. That is a religious instillation.”

Ibrahim Hooper of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) disagreed, telling TheDC that such projects can help improve relations with the Muslim world.

“Anytime the United States is seen as being on the side of Muslims, of their aspirations and their needs and goals, that can only help our image and interests around the world,” he said.

Dr. Sayyid M. Syeed, national director of the Islamic Society of North America Office of Interfaith and Community Alliances, echoed Hooper’s sentiments, telling TheDC that it is worthwhile to preserve centuries old historical and cultural structures and funding these projects could help America build bridges in the Muslim world.

“It is an erroneous image that America is singling Muslims out as their target,” he said. “So to some extent this could help.”

But Michael Rubin, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, noted to TheDC that such initiatives are problematic because they often lack oversight and “quality control.”

“Part of the problem is the State Department really has no definition of what radical means and they also have no coherent strategy when it comes to dealing with extremist Islam,” Rubin said. “As a result you have young junior officers who are adjudicating grants and are basically approving them on the basis of what the grantee says rather than doing a deeper check behind who they are affiliated with or what their mission is.”

He continued, “Unfortunately Muslim Brotherhood type groups are the ones which are the slickest when it comes to PR and have the greatest ability to reach out.”

Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, president and founder of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, told TheDC that despite American efforts to reach out to Muslims around the world, a recent Zogby poll found that in the Muslim world, the percentage of the population which views America favorably still hovers around 18%.

“We have always felt this type of outreach is completely ineffective and that ultimately we have to approach it like the Cold War where we are fighting an ideology and we have to be poignantly open about what part of political Islam we are trying to change and modify,” Jasser said. “If we are going to have this long war of ideas we cannot fund these religious institutions. We can fund anti-Islamist institutions based in liberty.”

Herbert London, president of Hudson Institute, told TheDC that he is extremely troubled by the use of government funds for religious purposes. “I wouldn’t be okay with it if these were synagogues that they were funding,” he said.

According to the State Department’s disclosure to Sen. Lugar’s office, there are zero construction efforts occurring on historic Jewish synagogues, though there is funding of some Jewish related projects such as the “preservation of the Main Gate and Tombstones in the Jewish Cemetery in Sarajevo [Bosnia-Herzegovina].” The disclosure also shows examples of the State Department funding churches, cathedrals and Buddhist and Hindu temples abroad.

E-mail Caroline May and follow her on Twitter

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/08/24/u-s-government-funds-mosque-renovation-and-rehabilitation-around-the-world/print/#ixzz0xWXJNTqa

________________________ ________________________ _

“It is helping to preserve our cultural heritage. It is not just to preserve religious structures,” Thompson said. “It is not to preserve a religion. It is to help us as global inhabitants preserve cultures.”

Liberalism is a mental disorder. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
Great, we help build a mosque so they can use it to radicalize more terrorists.  Just fucking great.

And you work for the fucking people (government) that continue to sell out the American people.......just fucking great!  As long as morons like you will sign up to "serve" their country the US government will keep selling out the American people.  Oh but wait....you're protecting my freedoms, democracy, and the lives of Americans......meanwhile your government is giving money to the same fools you are trying to defend against.  LMAO!  Fucking morons. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
And you work for the fucking people (government) that continue to sell out the American people.......just fucking great!  As long as morons like you will sign up to "serve" their country the US government will keep selling out the American people.  Oh but wait....you're protecting my freedoms, democracy, and the lives of Americans......meanwhile your government is giving money to the same fools you are trying to defend against.  LMAO!  Fucking morons. 

Why does my first GB stalker have to be a gay male nurse always trying to play tough guy?

As to your post, if you're not bright enough to figure it out from my post, I agree we should not be giving them money. 

And as member of the healthcare system, you talking about fucking anybody over is comical to say the least.

Run along now guy and find another ballsack to dangle from.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: U.S. Government is building Mosques overseas with U.S. Taxpayer Dollars.
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 07:55:48 PM »
WSBTV.com
Mosque Makeovers With Your Tax Dollars
Posted: 3:57 pm EST November 11, 2010
Updated: 6:13 pm EST November 11, 2010

WASHINGTON, D.C -- A Channel 2 Action News investigation found that the State Department is sending millions of dollars to save mosques overseas. This investment has received criticism as the United States makes an effort to slash nearly $4 trillion in government spending.

Plenty of outrage following the announcement made Thursday afternoon by a government commission that suggested huge cuts to the budget, including eliminating the interest education for home mortgage. This juxtaposed with United States investing millions to refurbish mosques as a good-will effort in Muslim countries has upset many taxpayer groups.

The Channel 2 Action News investigation found a 1,300-year-old Egyptian mosque that was almost flooded by contaminated sewer water that is one of many ancient Cairo mosques and churches that were saved from destruction by the U.S. taxpayers.

This is part of a $770 million program to rebuild Cairo's sewer system, paid for by the U.S. State Department's USAID program.

"We are spending money we don't have. This is all on a gigantic credit card right now," said Jared Thomas, a taxpayer advocate.

Millions more dollars have been sent to places like Cyprus. The State Department displays before and after pictures of mosques refurbished with U.S. tax dollars.

"I think it is very hard to explain to the American taxpayer right now whose having an extraordinary time paying bills and making ends meet that this is why we took this out of your paycheck, so we can fund this," said Thomas.

The State Department declined a Channel 2 Action News request for an interview. We wanted to ask why are we using tax dollars to refurbish religious buildings overseas. The State Department did send Channel Two Action News an e-mail saying that they are fighting Islamic extremism by building relationships with Islamic leaders.

Egyptian-American human rights activist Nonie Darwish told Channel 2 Action News anchor Justin Farmer that trying to buy respect in the Middle East only shows our weakness.

"This part of the world has a lot of respect for power and America is not showing its power, it's showing its appeasement. They are laughing all the way to the bank," said Darwish.

Darwish was born in Egypt and is now a former Muslim. Darwish told Farmer that she moved to America and has written several books critical of radical Islam. Darwish said that most of the mosques in Egypt are run by extremists who have ordered former Muslims like herself to be killed.

"We are rebuilding mosques to support the radicals, not to support the moderates. We are building mosques to issue fatwas of death against people like me," said Darwish.

Your tax dollars also fund computers and mosques in places like Tajikistan and Mali. At an ancient mud brick mosque in Mali, the State Department has provided Internet service and computer equipment to local imams.

Taxpayer watchdogs wonder how the State Department can explain paying for Internet service while Americans struggle through the worst recession in decades.

"To the average person who has probably seen their paycheck shrink and not grow, this could be an insult to them," said Pete Sepp, President of the National Taxpayers Association.

With radical websites inciting violence and extremism worldwide, there are concerns that the taxpayer-funded Internet service could be misused.

"That is not the job of the U.S. because giving them Internet access to imams and Muslim preachers who hate America," said Darwish.

Critics say that it is time to review funding for all federal programs that do not directly benefit taxpayers.

"We are spending money we don't have and certainly we can cut items like this," said Thomas.

The Deficit Commission announced it would look at slowing the growth of foreign aid. Channel 2 Action News is not aware if there will be cuts in this particular U.S Aid program. Copyright 2010 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 08:33:45 PM »
BUMP for the leftists on this site always screamining about separation of church/state. 

Freaking hypocrites. 
I'm not sure if people consider me a leftist anymore.  I'm not even sure what I am, but I'll chime in just in case.  This is stupid and shouldn't be done whatsoever.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 08:36:16 PM »
This is part of a $770 million program to rebuild Cairo's sewer system, paid for by the U.S. State Department's USAID program.

>:(  >:(  >:(

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 08:38:28 PM »
I'm not sure if people consider me a leftist anymore.  I'm not even sure what I am, but I'll chime in just in case.  This is stupid and shouldn't be done whatsoever.

You are not one of the people on a 24/7 anti christian mission. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 08:54:49 PM »
You are not one of the people on a 24/7 anti christian mission.  
I'm pretty anti-Christan and do usually bring it up.  I get bitched out for doing it.  I hate Islam worse tho.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »
I'm pretty anti-Christan and do usually bring it up.  I get bitched out for doing it.  I hate Islam worse tho.

i dont see you do the moral equivalence spin though. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 09:07:13 PM »
i dont see you do the moral equivalence spin though. 
I've done it from a timeline perspective which really pisses off some people here.  If we're just looking at today, I think it's clear that Islam is way way more dangerous and violent.  Christianity has been there done that already.  My major bitch about Christianity today is that it utilizes a different kind of terrorism.  They terrorise mentally and emotionally and not violently.  For them it's enough to put the fear of hell into people.  Telling people that if they don't accept, they won't ever get to see their loved ones in the afterlife, stuff like that I just think it wrong.  But no doubt, Islam is many times worse.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 05:22:50 AM »
BUMP 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 05:32:32 AM »
it was your man bush that started this shit :o

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 05:49:57 AM »
That is not the job of the U.S. because giving them Internet access to imams and Muslim preachers who hate America," said Darwish.

________________________ ________________

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »
Brilliant logic. Between this and the billions of dollars we ship to Pakistan every year as a reward for killing our soldiers I can't help but laugh at the sheer idiocy of this. Let's keep dumping money off to these two-faced Islamist scumbags.  ::)

But there was a good quote in your latest article, 333. This sums up the situation perfectly:

"This part of the world has a lot of respect for power and America is not showing its power, it's showing its appeasement. They are laughing all the way to the bank," said Darwish."

Well said.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 09:53:08 AM »
BF - you and I and others ave said this time and time again - what have we gotten for all this gracious spending?

1.  Major Hassan
2.  XMas day Bomber
3.  Times Square Bomber 
4.  Anwar al Aliki on a rampage
5.  Commercial flights with toner bombs on them.

etc etc etc.   

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 09:54:16 AM »
BF - you and I and others ave said this time and time again - what have we gotten for all this gracious spending?

1.  Major Hassan
2.  XMas day Bomber
3.  Times Square Bomber 
4.  Anwar al Aliki on a rampage
5.  Commercial flights with toner bombs on them.

etc etc etc.   

I'd have to say this appeasement thing looks be a resounding success! ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2010, 09:57:58 AM »

________________________ ________________________ ______________________

:(  :(  :(

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2010, 09:59:36 AM »

________________________ ________________________ ______________________

:(  :(  :(

Meanwhile, the Egyptian govt. continues to conduct a genocide on the Coptic Christian population.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2011, 04:10:33 AM »
Mosque Makeovers With Your Tax Dollars (Video)
WSBTV.com ^ | Justin Farmer reports. | Justin Farmer

Video at link.

http://www.wsbtv.com/video/25764282/index.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 06:27:47 AM »
This is why we need to stay out of others affairs and strengthen defense within our own borders. What a waste.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2012, 05:10:44 AM »
WASHINGTON, D.C. — A Channel 2 Action News investigation found that the State Department is sending millions of dollars to save mosques overseas. This investment has received criticism as the United States makes an effort to slash nearly $4 trillion in government spending.Plenty of outrage following the announcement made Thursday afternoon by a government commission that suggested huge cuts to the budget, including eliminating the interest education for home mortgage. This juxtaposed with the United States investing millions to refurbish mosques as a good-will effort in Muslim countries has upset many taxpayer groups.

“We are spending money we don’t have. This is all on a gigantic credit card right now,” said Jared Thomas, a taxpayer advocate.

Millions more dollars have been sent to places like Cyprus. The State Department displays before and after pictures of mosques refurbished with U.S. tax dollars.

“I think it is very hard to explain to the American taxpayer right now whose having an extraordinary time paying bills and making ends meet that this is why we took this out of your paycheck, so we can fund this,” said Thomas.

The State Department declined a Channel 2 Action News request for an interview. We wanted to ask why are we using tax dollars to refurbish religious buildings overseas. The State Department did send Channel Two Action News an e-mail saying that they are fighting Islamic extremism by building relationships with Islamic leaders.

Egyptian-American human rights activist Nonie Darwish told Channel 2 Action News anchor Justin Farmer that trying to buy respect in the Middle East only shows our weakness.

“This part of the world has a lot of respect for power and America is not showing its power, it’s showing its appeasement. They are laughing all the way to the bank,” said Darwish.

Darwish was born in Egypt and is now a former Muslim. Darwish told Farmer that she moved to America and has written several books critical of radical Islam. Darwish said that most of the mosques in Egypt are run by extremists who have ordered former Muslims like herself to be killed.

“We are rebuilding mosques to support the radicals, not to support the moderates. We are building mosques to issue fatwas of death against people like me,” said Darwish.

Your tax dollars also fund computers and mosques in places like Tajikistan and Mali. At an ancient mud brick mosque in Mali, the State Department has provided Internet service and computer equipment to local imams.

Taxpayer watchdogs wonder how the State Department can explain paying for Internet service while Americans struggle through the worst recession in decades.

“To the average person who has probably seen their paycheck shrink and not grow, this could be an insult to them,” said Pete Sepp, President of the National Taxpayers Association.

With radical websites inciting violence and extremism worldwide, there are concerns that the taxpayer-funded Internet service could be misused.

“That is not the job of the U.S. because giving them Internet access to imams and Muslim preachers who hate America,” said Darwish.

Critics say that it is time to review funding for all federal programs that do not directly benefit taxpayers.

“We are spending money we don’t have and certainly we can cut items like this,” said Thomas.

The Deficit Commission announced it would look at slowing the growth of foreign aid. Channel 2 Action News is not aware if there will be cuts in this particular U.S Aid program.