Author Topic: Phil Heath's Arms: Officially too big?  (Read 12478 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Re: Phil Heath's Arms: Officially too big?
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 12:06:33 PM »
You're crazy, he can add a TON of mass to his pectorals, just look at it!

his chest is pretty much developed to the max, its just that his pect muscle bellies are small in area.
not everyone can have pec muscle bellies like Arnold where your pecline is 10 inches long and goes halfway down your torso.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 12:16:01 PM »
Geez... I remember when Shawn Ray scaled back his quads so they would get smaller to keep his physique in balance.  I remember Ronnie saying he barely trained arms- just a few sets - to keep them in check.  Branch did the same with his legs to let everything else catch up.

Is Phil Heath at that point yet? 

His arms aren't big enough to match his chest

His thighs are to big for his calves

He only hits one pose and that he looks like a big spider.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 12:16:42 PM »
He graduated from the Kevin Levrone school of oil

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 12:21:39 PM »
for all of you critisizing Heaths pecs and "width" all the time, i wonder how you look like. care to post pics?

Such a dumb thing to say.  That's like if this was an nfl team's board and people were saying that a cornerback had a crappy year last year cuz he only had one interception.  And then here comes you to your hero's rescue chiming in with "yeah, well show me some game tape of your interceptions last year"

See how silly that is?

Luolamies

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 12:37:54 PM »
hahah no arms can never be too big, if no oil is used.

My thoughts exactly, sadly oil seems to be the norm these days...
TEST+DECA+DBOL=BIG

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 12:42:18 PM »
His chest is pathetic, just like Roelly, PRIEST, and Centopani.
notce the pattern 90% of arm guys have a weak chest but for some reason because they have big arms they get a free pass I think they should be penalised for lack of symetry if it way the other way around huge torso those guys wouldn't place so high
bbing has a serious arm fetish..
choice is an illusion

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 02:27:56 PM »
His arms aren't big enough to match his chest

His thighs are to big for his calves

He only hits one pose and that he looks like a big spider.

Ken Waller said the same thing about Mike Katz in Pumping Iron but in that case, the chest/arms situation was reversed; Mike's arms were small in relation to his chest although both Mike and Phil had/have thighs too big for their calves.

Although it really can't be said that Phil has a weak chest at this point and his calves aren't bad either.  It's just that his arms and thighs are so huge that it would take the biggest chest and calves in bodybuilding to match.

As much as I like Phil and felt he should have won the Arnold, I can't deny that Kai beats him on size at this point.  I still felt Phil should have won because he really brought it for that show, but I do concede that historically, back size is a huge factor in winning professional bodybuilding contests.  Here is my review of the 2010 Arnold:

http://tinyurl.com/2dok8a9

ND - What do you make of my review?  I try to make them as fair and balanced as possible.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »
Ken Waller said the same thing about Mike Katz in Pumping Iron but in that case, the chest/arms situation was reversed; Mike's arms were small in relation to his chest although both Mike and Phil had/have thighs too big for their calves.

Although it really can't be said that Phil has a weak chest at this point and his calves aren't bad either.  It's just that his arms and thighs are so huge that it would take the biggest chest and calves in bodybuilding to match.

As much as I like Phil and felt he should have won the Arnold, I can't deny that Kai beats him on size at this point.  I still felt Phil should have won because he really brought it for that show, but I do concede that historically, back size is a huge factor in winning professional bodybuilding contests.  Here is my review of the 2010 Arnold:

http://tinyurl.com/2dok8a9

ND - What do you make of my review?  I try to make them as fair and balanced as possible.

that one went right over your head.  ;D

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 02:38:33 PM »
notce the pattern 90% of arm guys have a weak chest but for some reason because they have big arms they get a free pass I think they should be penalised for lack of symetry if it way the other way around huge torso those guys wouldn't place so high
bbing has a serious arm fetish..

Dorian? Branch?

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 02:42:41 PM »
that one went right over your head.  ;D

Ahh, I thought didn't realize you were quoting the movie.  ;D  I thought you were talking about Phil and just wanted to point out that the arms/chest scenario is reversed for Phil, because it is his arms that are too big for his chest, not the other way around.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 02:45:34 PM »

his arms aren't too big- his clavicles are too narrow and his chest is too small.

Yup, guys like him will never have crazy natural width (ie. Marcus Ruhl)

he's maxed out his frame

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »
Nope arms not too big
chest just really lacking
it's an illusion
which is why Coleman is so great
big chest arms shoulders everything
Aren't you the one who says that I'm "arm biased" :)
you could be right, but I think he should put more concentration on chest. On his first vid his chest workout was, let's say, "different" from a Ronnie Coleman chest workout...not a lot of heavy basic compound movemnents, plus the incline presses did, it seems like they could be military presses...

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 03:05:35 PM »
Ahh, I thought didn't realize you were quoting the movie.  ;D  I thought you were talking about Phil and just wanted to point out that the arms/chest scenario is reversed for Phil, because it is his arms that are too big for his chest, not the other way around.
Mr. Mensa!!  LOL  :)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 03:06:05 PM »
Dorian? Branch?
to be fair to Dorian at first he had decent arms
but all the guys they go ga ga over flex wheeler ... Heath ... Total arm fetish
how is fles the sultan of symetry when his chest  is dwarves  by his arms which a smaller muscle group.
choice is an illusion

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »
I would need to see a shot of him without the thong to make a fair assessment.

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Aren't you the one who says that I'm "arm biased" :)
you could be right, but I think he should put more concentration on chest. On his first vid his chest workout was, let's say, "different" from a Ronnie Coleman chest workout...not a lot of heavy basic compound movemnents, plus the incline presses did, it seems like they could be military presses...

Unfortunately that is how all these new guys train nowadays. The days of Levrone, Ronnie, Dorian style training most likely doesn't exist. All machines and all drugs.

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 03:16:33 PM »
to be fair to Dorian at first he had decent arms
but all the guys they go ga ga over flex wheeler ... Heath ... Total arm fetish
how is fles the sultan of symetry when his chest  is dwarves  by his arms which a smaller muscle group.

I understand your point of the arm fetish thing though, most bb fans (myself included) are all for arms, but I don't think it gets rewarded in contests as you pointed out. That's why Heath will never beat Kai or why Dorian won so many O with a huge torso and horrible arms.

Personally, I've always prefered the physiques of guys with great arms like Shawn Ray or Lee Priest over the physiques of guys with huge torsos like Dorian, Markus Ruhl, Dennis James, etc.

Like you pointed out earlier: Ronnie had the best of both worlds.

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
Sadly proportions/symmetry  a thing of the past in modern BB

Iron age BBs all had huge arms and small quads.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »

Unfortunately that is how all these new guys train nowadays. The days of Levrone, Ronnie, Dorian style training most likely doesn't exist. All machines and all drugs.
Odd when the angle of the incline is the same when one is doing presses or incline dumbell curls...
I mean, I wonder if Phil would do a team up with Ronnie and train with him, that would be a good vid, The Gift vs. The Big Nasty...

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2010, 03:53:20 PM »
When arms are discussed Craig Titus should be in the mix because he was all arms and no chest ;D

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »
Odd when the angle of the incline is the same when one is doing presses or incline dumbell curls...
I mean, I wonder if Phil would do a team up with Ronnie and train with him, that would be a good vid, The Gift vs. The Big Nasty...

Strength wise very few could hang with Ronnie overall.

Compared to the 80's and 90's none of these guys train hard at all. Seriously brings up the questioning of "drugs," and the "dosages," these guys are on.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 04:07:10 PM »
When arms are discussed Craig Titus should be in the mix because he was all arms and no chest ;D
Tit-Less had a decent set of arms, not mind blowing. After he tore his pec, he was scares shitless of benching...the one thing that scared him. I remember seeing the pics and interview in MuscleMag

ironic how in Melvin Anthony's "Marvelous" vid, Titus is spotting Melvin while doing bench press, yet a few yrs later he sucker punches him, after being confronted about trying to get Melvin's girl, Bea, to do a 3some.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 04:12:40 PM »
Geez... I remember when Shawn Ray scaled back his quads so they would get smaller to keep his physique in balance.  I remember Ronnie saying he barely trained arms- just a few sets - to keep them in check.  Branch did the same with his legs to let everything else catch up.

Is Phil Heath at that point yet? 
I have to say I'm unimpressed. I don't know why, just no "wow" factor IMO.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Wingnut32

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 04:18:09 PM »
how is fles the sultan of symetry when his chest  is dwarves  by his arms which a smaller muscle group.

Because evidently you have no idea what symmetry is.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 04:34:15 PM »
I understand your point of the arm fetish thing though, most bb fans (myself included) are all for arms, but I don't think it gets rewarded in contests as you pointed out. That's why Heath will never beat Kai or why Dorian won so many O with a huge torso and horrible arms.

Personally, I've always prefered the physiques of guys with great arms like Shawn Ray or Lee Priest over the physiques of guys with huge torsos like Dorian, Markus Ruhl, Dennis James, etc.

Like you pointed out earlier: Ronnie had the best of both worlds.

I do t dislike arms but I think the chest should at least match the arms a la victor dexter...cormier Aaron baker...  Coleman.  People praise phils most muscular ... But I think it looks sill pecs nonexistent only arms
choice is an illusion