Author Topic: Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe  (Read 55141 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe
« Reply #350 on: September 05, 2010, 11:58:48 AM »
Max, there are so called scientists who were men of faith...Copernicus , Galileo , Newton , Kelvin ..

Einstein never came to believe in a personal god but he recognized the impossibility of a non-created universe. Firmly denying atheism, Einstein expressed a belief in "Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of what exists." This actually motivated his interest in science, as he once remarked to a young physicist: "I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details." Einstein's famous epithet on the "uncertainty principle" was "God does not play dice" - and to him this was a real statement about a God in whom he believed. A famous saying of his was "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

You know Einstein and Spinoza were Jewish, right?

And those other guys got in a little trouble with the so called Church.

EwaBeachBoy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #351 on: September 05, 2010, 12:01:28 PM »
You know Einstein and Spinoza were Jewish, right?

Of course I knew that. WHat I was trying to say that Einstein does not believe that this world was created by chance. He denied atheism.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #352 on: September 05, 2010, 12:01:55 PM »
What is the number?  I'm interested in becoming amazed.

Wish I knew, but regardless of how I phrased my post it's really less about the number and more about how their research has led them to their faith.  Perhaps you could check out some of Lee Strobel's books. 

EwaBeachBoy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #353 on: September 05, 2010, 12:03:41 PM »
Wish I knew, but regardless of how I phrased my post it's really less about the number and more about how their research has led them to their faith.  Perhaps you could check out some of Lee Strobel's books. 

Man of Steel, I alrady posted some scientist who believed in God and the bible and I also mentioned some scientist who denied atheism and believed in soemthing that created the universe

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #354 on: September 05, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
And?  That doesn't make every concept they develop a "fact" as many believe.  They are right on some things, wrong on others, just like everybody else.  
Like said you don't have to prove a negative. In science you have to show evidence that supports your theory. If the evidence is strong enough then it's a fact. Religion is mythology fairy tales just like santa and unicorns.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #355 on: September 05, 2010, 12:04:48 PM »
Of course I knew that. WHat I was trying to say that Einstein does not believe that this world was created by chance. He denied atheism.

I've actually read that Einstein became a believer and I've also read that Einstein didn't become a full on believer but that he did belief in an intelligent designer of the universe.  Either way he denied atheism at the end of his life.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #356 on: September 05, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »
Christ is about love and insults don't support that.
Yes but that doesn't stop me from insulting you. I'm not religious. 

EwaBeachBoy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #357 on: September 05, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
Scientific Facts in the Bible

1. Only in recent years has science discovered that everything we see is composed of invisible atoms. Here, Scripture tells us that the "things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."

2. Medical science has only recently discovered that blood-clotting in a newborn reaches its peak on the eighth day, then drops. The Bible consistently says that a baby must be circumcised on the eighth day.

3. At a time when it was believed that the earth sat on a large animal or a giant (1500 B.C.), the Bible spoke of the earth’s free float in space: "He...hangs the earth upon nothing" (Job 26:7).

4. The prophet Isaiah also tells us that the earth is round: "It is he that sits upon the circle of the earth" (Isaiah 40:22). This is not a reference to a flat disk, as some skeptic maintain, but to a sphere. Secular man discovered this 2,400 years later. At a time when science believed that the earth was flat, is was the Scriptures that inspired Christopher Columbus to sail around the world (see Proverbs 3:6 footnote).

5. God told Job in 1500 B.C.: "Can you send lightnings, that they may go, and say to you, Here we are?" (Job 38:35). The Bible here is making what appears to be a scientifically ludicrous statement—that light can be sent, and then manifest itself in speech. But did you know that radio waves travel at the speed of light? This is why you can have instantaneous wireless communication with someone on the other side of the earth. Science didn’t discover this until 1864 when "British scientist James Clerk Maxwell suggested that electricity and light waves were two forms of the same thing" (Modern Century Illustrated Encyclopedia).

6. Job 38:19 asks, "Where is the way where light dwells?" Modern man has only recently discovered that light (electromagnetic radiation) has a "way," traveling at 186,000 miles per second.

7. Science has discovered that stars emit radio waves, which are received on earth as a high pitch. God mentioned this in Job 38:7: "When the morning stars sang together..."

8. "Most cosmologists (scientists who study the structures and evolution of the universe) agree that the Genesis account of creation, in imagining an initial void, may be uncannily close to the truth" (Time, Dec. 1976).

9. Solomon described a "cycle" of air currents two thousand years before scientists "discovered" them. "The wind goes toward the south, and turns about unto the north; it whirls about continually, and the wind returns again according to his circuits" (Ecclesiastes 1:6).

10. Science expresses the universe in five terms: time, space, matter, power, and motion. Genesis 1:1,2 revealed such truths to the Hebrews in 1450 B.C.: "In the beginning [time] God created [power] the heaven [space] and the earth [matter] . . . And the Spirit of God moved [motion] upon the face of the waters." The first thing God tells man is that He controls of all aspects of the universe.

11. The great biological truth concerning the importance of blood in our body’s mechanism has been fully comprehended only in recent years. Up until 120 years ago, sick people were "bled," and many died because of the practice. If you lose your blood, you lose your life. Yet Leviticus 17:11, written 3,000 years ago, declared that blood is the source of life: "For the life of the flesh is in the blood."

12. All things were made by Him (see John 1:3), including dinosaurs. Why then did the dinosaur disappear? The answer may be in Job 40:15–24. In this passage, God speaks about a great creature called "behemoth." Some commentators think this was a hippopotamus. However, the hippo’s tail isn’t like a large tree, but a small twig. Following are the characteristics of this huge animal: It was the largest of all the creatures God made; was plant-eating (herbivorous); had its strength in its hips and a tail like a large tree. It had very strong bones, lived among the trees, drank massive amounts of water, and was not disturbed by a raging river. He appears impervious to attack because his nose could pierce through snares, but Scripture says, "He that made him can make his sword to approach unto him." In other words, God caused this, the largest of all the creatures He had made, to become extinct.

13. Encyclopedia Britannica documents that in 1845, a young doctor in Vienna named Dr. Ignaz Semmelweis was horrified at the terrible death rate of women who gave birth in hospitals. As many as 30 percent died after giving birth. Semmelweis noted that doctors would examine the bodies of patients who died, then, without washing their hands, go straight to the next ward and examine expectant mothers. This was their normal practice, because the presence of microscopic diseases was unknown. Semmelweis insisted that doctors wash their hands before examinations, and the death rate immediately dropped to 2 percent. Look at the specific instructions God gave His people for when they encounter disease: "And when he that has an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself even days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean" (Leviticus 15:13). Until recent years, doctors washed their hands in a bowl of water, leaving invisible germs on their hands. However, the Bible says specifically to wash hands under "running water."

14. Luke 17:34–36 says the Second Coming of Jesus Christ will occur while some are asleep at night and others are working at daytime activities in the field. This is a clear indication of a revolving earth, with day and night at the same time.

15. "During the devastating Black Death of the fourteenth century, patients who were sick or dead were kept in the same rooms as the rest of the family. People often wondered why the disease was affecting so many people at one time. They attributed these epidemics to ‘bad air’ or ‘evil spirits.’ However, careful attention to the medical commands of God as revealed in Leviticus would have saved untold millions of lives. Arturo Castiglione wrote about the overwhelming importance of this biblical medical law: ‘The laws against leprosyin Leviticus 13 may be regarded as the first model of sanitary legislation’ (A History of Medicine)." Grant R. Jeffery, The Signature of God With all these truths revealed in Scripture,how could a thinking person deny that the Bible is supernatural in origin? There is no other book in any of the world’s religions (Vedas, Bhagavad-Gita, Koran, Book of Mormon, etc.) that contains scientific truth. In fact, they contain statements that are clearly unscientific. Hank Hanegraaff said, "Faith in Christ is not some blind leap into a dark chasm, but a faith based on established evidence." (11:3 continued

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #358 on: September 05, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
I've actually read that Einstein became a believer and I've also read that Einstein didn't become a full on believer but that he did belief in an intelligent designer of the universe.  Either way he denied atheism at the end of his life.

You realize that unless you and EWA turn out to be the exact same denomination, this is going to end with one of you telling the other one that he's a-goin' to Hell.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #359 on: September 05, 2010, 12:08:33 PM »
Yes but that doesn't stop me from insulting you. I'm not religious. 

My post was actually from the believer's standpoint in which presenting a case of faith should not include insults, but yes you are free to insult me all you want....that is true.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #360 on: September 05, 2010, 12:09:40 PM »
You realize that unless you and EWA turn out to be the exact same denomination, this is going to end with one of you telling the other one that he's a-goin' to Hell.

I promise you that I won't utter any of those words or argue with EWA or anyone else.

EwaBeachBoy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #361 on: September 05, 2010, 12:11:33 PM »

I know one thing..I am going to go to hell if I dont not have Jesus in my life and change my ways.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #362 on: September 05, 2010, 12:13:02 PM »
I know one thing..I am going to go to hell if I dont not have Jesus in my life and change my ways.
lol why because black mama that you went to church with every sunday told you so?  :D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #363 on: September 05, 2010, 12:14:49 PM »
........................ .............

Oh boy here we go!!!

MOS - I'm just kidding.  You guys both seem to have good intentions.

So, uh, what denominations are you guys anyway?  ;D

EwaBeachBoy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #364 on: September 05, 2010, 12:15:42 PM »
lol why because black mama that you went to church with every sunday told you so?  :D

Nope. Because the Bible told me so, Maxx!

By the way, my mother is not even black nor is she African-American ::)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: September 05, 2010, 12:17:46 PM »

Oh boy here we go!!!

MOS - I'm just kidding.  You guys both seem to have good intentions.

So, uh, what denominations are you guys anyway?  ;D

I was raised in the Baptist church, but now belong to a non-denom Christian church.  I still love the Baptist church, but my family loves this church we are members of now.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #366 on: September 05, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »

I loved that part.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #367 on: September 05, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
beachboy. you seem to be stuck on the concept tht the son nd the fther are one entity.  No where in the bible is this made.....in fact the differences are frequent.  John 14:28 "the father is greater than I and I will go to him again"   Mny time Jesus prayed to his father....obviously he wasnt praying to himself or going back to see himself... ???

Simply put Jesus is the son of GOD and they live with the same purpose in mind nd harmony but are 2 different persons....obviously.

I am proud that MOS and beachboy are servants for the christ tho. Of course no one is perfect and we all fall short daily but lets try our best anyway.. 8)

EwaBeachBoy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #368 on: September 05, 2010, 12:49:27 PM »
beachboy. you seem to be stuck on the concept tht the son nd the fther are one entity.  No where in the bible is this made.....in fact the differences are frequent.  John 14:28 "the father is greater than I and I will go to him again"   Mny time Jesus prayed to his father....obviously he wasnt praying to himself or going back to see himself... ???

Simply put Jesus is the son of GOD and they live with the same purpose in mind nd harmony but are 2 different persons....obviously.

I am proud that MOS and beachboy are servants for the christ tho. Of course no one is perfect and we all fall short daily but lets try our best anyway.. 8)

God is one:
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD. Deuteronomy 6:4

Jesus and God are one :
I and my Father are one. John 10:30

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...All things were made by him...He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not...And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us John 1:1, 3, 10, 14

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 1 John 5:7

[T]the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ...gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity.. Titus 2:13-14

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #369 on: September 05, 2010, 12:56:13 PM »
Like said you don't have to prove a negative. In science you have to show evidence that supports your theory. If the evidence is strong enough then it's a fact. Religion is mythology fairy tales just like santa and unicorns.

Noun 1. scientific fact - an observation that has been confirmed repeatedly and is accepted as true (although its truth is never final)observation - facts learned by observing; "he reported his observations to the mayor"

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

EwaBeachBoy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #370 on: September 05, 2010, 01:01:19 PM »
beachboy. you seem to be stuck on the concept tht the son nd the fther are one entity.  No where in the bible is this made.....in fact the differences are frequent.  John 14:28 "the father is greater than I and I will go to him again"  Mny time Jesus prayed to his father....obviously he wasnt praying to himself or going back to see himself... ???

Answer: To understand Jesus as God on earth praying to His Father in heaven, we need to realize that the eternal Father and the eternal Son had an eternal relationship before Jesus took upon Himself the form of a man. Please read John 5:19-27, particularly verse 23 where Jesus teaches that the Father sent the Son (also see John 15:10). Jesus did not become the Son of God when He was born in Bethlehem. He has always been the Son of God from eternity past, still is the Son of God, and always will be.

Isaiah 9:6 tells us that the Son was given and the Child was born. Jesus was
 always part of the tri-unity, along with the Holy Spirit. The tri-unity always existed, the Father God, the Son God, and the Spirit God, not three gods, but one God existing as three persons. Jesus taught that He and His Father are one (John 10:30), meaning that He and His Father are of the same substance and the same essence. The Father, Son and Spirit are three co-equal persons existing as God. These three had, and continue to have, an eternal relationship

Jesus Christ was no less God on earth when praying to His Father in heaven. He was depicting how even in sinless humanity it is necessary to have a vital prayer life in order to do His Father’s will. Jesus' praying to the Father was a demonstration of His relationship within the Trinity and an example for us that we must rely on God through prayer for the strength and wisdom we need. Since Christ, as the God-man, needed to have a vibrant prayer life, so should the follower of Christ today.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #371 on: September 05, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »

1. Only in recent years has science discovered that everything we see is composed of invisible atoms. Here, Scripture tells us that the "things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."

2. Medical science has only recently discovered that blood-clotting in a newborn reaches its peak on the eighth day, then drops. The Bible consistently says that a baby must be circumcised on the eighth day.

3. At a time when it was believed that the earth sat on a large animal or a giant (1500 B.C.), the Bible spoke of the earth’s free float in space: "He...hangs the earth upon nothing" (Job 26:7).

4. The prophet Isaiah also tells us that the earth is round: "It is he that sits upon the circle of the earth" (Isaiah 40:22). This is not a reference to a flat disk, as some skeptic maintain, but to a sphere. Secular man discovered this 2,400 years later. At a time when science believed that the earth was flat, is was the Scriptures that inspired Christopher Columbus to sail around the world (see Proverbs 3:6 footnote).

5. God told Job in 1500 B.C.: "Can you send lightnings, that they may go, and say to you, Here we are?" (Job 38:35). The Bible here is making what appears to be a scientifically ludicrous statement—that light can be sent, and then manifest itself in speech. But did you know that radio waves travel at the speed of light? This is why you can have instantaneous wireless communication with someone on the other side of the earth. Science didn’t discover this until 1864 when "British scientist James Clerk Maxwell suggested that electricity and light waves were two forms of the same thing" (Modern Century Illustrated Encyclopedia).

6. Job 38:19 asks, "Where is the way where light dwells?" Modern man has only recently discovered that light (electromagnetic radiation) has a "way," traveling at 186,000 miles per second.

7. Science has discovered that stars emit radio waves, which are received on earth as a high pitch. God mentioned this in Job 38:7: "When the morning stars sang together..."

8. "Most cosmologists (scientists who study the structures and evolution of the universe) agree that the Genesis account of creation, in imagining an initial void, may be uncannily close to the truth" (Time, Dec. 1976).

9. Solomon described a "cycle" of air currents two thousand years before scientists "discovered" them. "The wind goes toward the south, and turns about unto the north; it whirls about continually, and the wind returns again according to his circuits" (Ecclesiastes 1:6).

10. Science expresses the universe in five terms: time, space, matter, power, and motion. Genesis 1:1,2 revealed such truths to the Hebrews in 1450 B.C.: "In the beginning [time] God created [power] the heaven [space] and the earth [matter] . . . And the Spirit of God moved [motion] upon the face of the waters." The first thing God tells man is that He controls of all aspects of the universe.

11. The great biological truth concerning the importance of blood in our body’s mechanism has been fully comprehended only in recent years. Up until 120 years ago, sick people were "bled," and many died because of the practice. If you lose your blood, you lose your life. Yet Leviticus 17:11, written 3,000 years ago, declared that blood is the source of life: "For the life of the flesh is in the blood."

12. All things were made by Him (see John 1:3), including dinosaurs. Why then did the dinosaur disappear? The answer may be in Job 40:15–24. In this passage, God speaks about a great creature called "behemoth." Some commentators think this was a hippopotamus. However, the hippo’s tail isn’t like a large tree, but a small twig. Following are the characteristics of this huge animal: It was the largest of all the creatures God made; was plant-eating (herbivorous); had its strength in its hips and a tail like a large tree. It had very strong bones, lived among the trees, drank massive amounts of water, and was not disturbed by a raging river. He appears impervious to attack because his nose could pierce through snares, but Scripture says, "He that made him can make his sword to approach unto him." In other words, God caused this, the largest of all the creatures He had made, to become extinct.

13. Encyclopedia Britannica documents that in 1845, a young doctor in Vienna named Dr. Ignaz Semmelweis was horrified at the terrible death rate of women who gave birth in hospitals. As many as 30 percent died after giving birth. Semmelweis noted that doctors would examine the bodies of patients who died, then, without washing their hands, go straight to the next ward and examine expectant mothers. This was their normal practice, because the presence of microscopic diseases was unknown. Semmelweis insisted that doctors wash their hands before examinations, and the death rate immediately dropped to 2 percent. Look at the specific instructions God gave His people for when they encounter disease: "And when he that has an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself even days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean" (Leviticus 15:13). Until recent years, doctors washed their hands in a bowl of water, leaving invisible germs on their hands. However, the Bible says specifically to wash hands under "running water."

14. Luke 17:34–36 says the Second Coming of Jesus Christ will occur while some are asleep at night and others are working at daytime activities in the field. This is a clear indication of a revolving earth, with day and night at the same time.

15. "During the devastating Black Death of the fourteenth century, patients who were sick or dead were kept in the same rooms as the rest of the family. People often wondered why the disease was affecting so many people at one time. They attributed these epidemics to ‘bad air’ or ‘evil spirits.’ However, careful attention to the medical commands of God as revealed in Leviticus would have saved untold millions of lives. Arturo Castiglione wrote about the overwhelming importance of this biblical medical law: ‘The laws against leprosyin Leviticus 13 may be regarded as the first model of sanitary legislation’ (A History of Medicine)." Grant R. Jeffery, The Signature of God With all these truths revealed in Scripture,how could a thinking person deny that the Bible is supernatural in origin? There is no other book in any of the world’s religions (Vedas, Bhagavad-Gita, Koran, Book of Mormon, etc.) that contains scientific truth. In fact, they contain statements that are clearly unscientific. Hank Hanegraaff said, "Faith in Christ is not some blind leap into a dark chasm, but a faith based on established evidence." (11:3 continued

Your omniscient god is reduced to ambiguous scripture that can be interpreted a hundred different ways. Very convincing, make no doubt about it. And, yes, how dare I question this, such blasphemy on my part.

theonlyone

« Reply #372 on: September 05, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
 Science will never prove nor disprove God's existance, it cannot by its essence. I haven't seen any scientist who would tell whats going on in afterlife. Any scientist got balls?
 There is the video scientists trying to prove God's existance, would have been laughable if it weren't so pathetic

theonlyone

« Reply #373 on: September 05, 2010, 01:21:45 PM »
 And no one knows as the proof isnt there whether in near future some prominent scientist or clown as Hawking now will not publish a book something like - God did creat Universe, and it will be a bestseller

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #374 on: September 05, 2010, 01:24:37 PM »
I'm waiting for Leonard Nimoy's third volume: "I Dunno If I'm Spock Or Not, Lol"