Author Topic: Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe  (Read 54733 times)

ThaRealist

• Getbig IV
  • Team REal LiFe
Re: Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe
« Reply #475 on: September 05, 2010, 10:18:03 PM »
Pedophillia and incest are rampant in christian households...discuss
[/quote

I know its rampant in muslim households too  (so I have been told)

I cant ansswer this because I have no experience about this.

But what I do know is that people use religion as a masqaurade to make themselves seem like good people.

Haha if you fall from the truth at all in everyday life you are being a hypocrite....If I  followed you for a day I would find you don't practice your religion....
You Can't Do It!!!

EwaBeachBoy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #476 on: September 05, 2010, 10:22:10 PM »

Father God, please forgive me for all my sins and please forgive me for all the people that I have wronged and hurt. Help me become a better person and a reflection of your Son who gave his life for me, whom you have sent to die in my place.

I know I am a sinner and I am in need of a savior. Please come into my life and give me a new heart.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #477 on: September 05, 2010, 10:29:21 PM »

Father God, please forgive me for all my sins and please forgive me for all the people that I have wronged and hurt. Help me become a better person and a reflection of your Son who gave his life for me, whom you have sent to die in my place.

I know I am a sinner and I am in need of a savior. Please come into my life and give me a new heart.

Before I go to sleep I'll pray that someone prays this prayer (or someting like it) and begins their walk with Christ.

ThaRealist

• Getbig IV
  • Team REal LiFe
« Reply #478 on: September 05, 2010, 10:45:08 PM »
If a christian god exists than let all the present christians bare the souls of the thousands killed during the spanish Inquisition...Also, please let them bare the lives lost in the 100 years war fought for christianity being forced on other cultures....While your at it please let them feel the pain of those that had their lives taken away in the name of christ during the salem witch trials...So tolerant and peace loving these christians are, may they bare the pain of the lives they have taken in the name of their father...
You Can't Do It!!!

youngytheking

• Getbig II
« Reply #479 on: September 06, 2010, 12:28:11 AM »
When you actually stop and think about the concept of God and how he is meant to have created the world. Esp with the clear cut science and facts we have. Then its possibly the funniest idea ever. People who believe in aliens and life from another planet or ghosts are considered whack jobs. But half the world are ok to think an old dude, with a beard, knocked up the world in 7 days. Oh and if your not sure, its all in a really fucking old fairy tale book for reference. Madness. Without religion, we would have less war, struggle and issues.....

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #480 on: September 06, 2010, 12:29:51 AM »
 :)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #481 on: September 06, 2010, 01:38:15 AM »

eggh god................answe r me honestly, are you fucking retarded

see, humans have these things that are called BRAINS...............you might have heard of them ...........they weight like 8 lbs and are responsible for memory, thought, and higher motor function and reasoning

ants...............do not have the hardware...........they have brains that are like 1/1,000,000 the size of ourse.............and support the most basic of functions like motor-control and smell............and they exhibit a hive mind, where the groups shows a collective intellect

ants are incapable of going "im in a bad mood today, i feel sad"..............just like they are incapable of going "i miss my dead mother"............or "they sky is blue"...........and a matter of fact, they cannot communicate to themselves at all because they have no higher reasoning, language, or emotion centers

they are pre-programmed, and function like very simple robots would function

stop embarrassing yourself adn saying "how do you know what ants think".................you just look like a fucking idiot, like really, you sound like a child

bye the way, you double your previous ignorance saying "ants live peacefully".............ant society is more violent and then you can possibly imagine
If only you could use your so called massive brain for some clear thinking. Its unfortunate that your brain is only used for satisfying your massive ego into somehow think you are higher than other life forms, I think you would find that ants probably play a greater and more important role in the scheme of things in balancing the earths Eco structure than do humans.  Reading your post I envision an overgrown manchild jumping up and down in frustration because someone else doesn't agree with his juvenile opinions.  I think you need to learn a little more about the world around you, including ants, here are a couple of facts for you - If a man could run as fast for his size as an ant can, he could run as fast as a racehorse. Ants can lift 20 times their own body weight - pretty impressive I think.  And just because you are obviously a barely functioning illiterate, I suggest a good documentary for you to begin the education process, it is called "Ants.Natures.Secret.Powe r". Good Luck
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #482 on: September 06, 2010, 01:56:30 AM »
Animals develop a balance with their natural surroundings and thrive on ingrained instincts and behavioural patterns. The more successful and resilient a species is, the more of it is found in more places. But they live for the sake of surviving long enough to reproduce, to make sure the species as a whole perpetuates. When they can't cope with the environmental conditions, they die out.

Your saying ants live "peacefully" seems to imply that they choose a higher path morally / conceptually, out of the many choices they have, which is not true. They devote all their energy to doing whatever is needed to perpetuate their population. They are just as territorial as other insects or animals, and can be just as destructive in their own ways. They are not noble nor are they capable of conceptual ways of thinking.

Humans are animals biologically, but also much more than that. Our way of surviving is by manipulating the natural resources around us to further our cause and way / standard of living. Yes, we make tons of mistakes and will keep doing so, but that doesn't negate any of our achievements, from our understanding of all that we know so far to everything we've created, be it good or bad.

Technologically, we are in the adolescent stage of development, which is why things are so unstable. That doesn't mean that we aren't capable of improving. You can't look at a snapshot of a process (that evolves over millions of years) in a very early stage and conclude that the conditions at the time of observation will remain unchanged.
I agree
V

theonlyone

« Reply #483 on: September 06, 2010, 01:59:34 AM »
Cockroaches have no idea of God, don't be a cockroach

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #484 on: September 06, 2010, 02:32:00 AM »
God is watching us from a distance.

Slurp!!!  ;D

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #485 on: September 06, 2010, 02:39:23 AM »
Pedophillia and incest are rampant in christian households...discuss

But Ross Erstling is Jewish ???

ahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahaha

fucking brilliant!
b

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #486 on: September 06, 2010, 02:42:25 AM »
The thing is God did save me.   ;)

no, you just were lucky..

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #487 on: September 06, 2010, 04:16:57 AM »

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #488 on: September 06, 2010, 04:30:11 AM »
 :D

My neighbour found out that her dog ( a Schnauzer) could hardly hear, so she took it to the veterinarian. The vet found that the problem was hair in the dog's ears. He cleaned both ears, and the dog could then hear fine.

The vet then proceeded to tell the lady that, if she wanted to keep this  from recurring, she should go to the chemist and get some "Nair" hair remover and rub it in the dog's ears once a month.

The lady went to the chemist and bought some "Nair" hair remover.  At the register, the pharmacist told her,

"If you're going to use this under your arms, don't use deodorant for a few days."

The lady said, "I'm not using it under my arms."

The pharmacist said, "If you're using it on your legs, don't shave for a
couple of days."

The lady replied, "I'm not using it on my legs either.  If you must know, I'm using it on my Schnauzer."

The pharmacist says, "Well stay off your bicycle for about a week."

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #489 on: September 06, 2010, 06:38:40 AM »

LOL!!!  Forgive me for laughing.  I'm not laughing at you I promise.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #490 on: September 06, 2010, 06:41:12 AM »
why. i think most here agree with me.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #491 on: September 06, 2010, 06:44:14 AM »
why. i think most here agree with me.

Yes, most do agree with you.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #492 on: September 06, 2010, 07:54:55 AM »

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #493 on: September 06, 2010, 08:58:53 AM »

Man of Steel's god talks to him through blood clots, you need to acquire a medical condition to understand, Tito.  Isn't it comforting to know that god can arbitrarily prioritize your longevity over millions of others?

Maybe I shouldn't say arbitrary, the believer is truly the one who's self importance is inflated - god really favors me over you, I am chosen and blessed. I have a purpose to live and do his work, you don't. Those are the ropes.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #494 on: September 06, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »
Man of Steel's god talks to him through blood clots, you need to acquire a medical condition to understand, Tito.  Isn't it comforting to know that god can arbitrarily prioritize your longevity over millions of others?

Maybe I shouldn't say arbitrary, the believer is truly the one who's self importance is inflated - god really favors me over you, I am chosen and blessed. I have a purpose to live and do his work, you don't. Those are the ropes.
Another poster suggested that at some point me and family would suffer and that he'd like to see God deliver me from that suffering.  I immediately provided him a real live suffering example in which me and my family had been delivered from just weeks ago via the power of prayer and faith in God's love and grace.  Prior to that I had been repeatedly insulted without retaliation on my part and after my story the insults increased dramatically with no negative response from me.  I've challenged no one individually based on their beliefs just expressed my own beliefs a bit and spoke with a few other believers confirming a few things they said based on my own knowledge.  If someone, believer or nonbeliever, asked me a question I tried best I could to respond honestly.  Earlier in the thread I spoke about Hawking and imaginary numbers more directly and some posters didn't like that so I stopped.  I then suggested that believers need to not insult or lash out at others nonbelievers and that believers need to strengthen their knowledge base at a bit.  I've made comments about positions believers and nonbelievers take and repeated that debating God on Getbig is a pointless pursuit.  That is the gist of everything I've said, but never once have I insulted or lashed out negatively at anyone (that I can recall); yet I'm continually insulted and put down I haven't told anyone what they belief is wrong either; in fact, I haven't debated at all.  Just answered some questions I was able to answer....that's it.   Yet every post is partially or fully attacked.  Why is that? 

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #495 on: September 06, 2010, 09:49:59 AM »
believers need to strengthen their knowledge base at a bit.

Bernstein, Jeremy (2009). Quantum Leaps. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press. ISBN 9780674035416.
Bohm, David (1989). Quantum Theory. Dover Publications. ISBN 0-486-65969-0.

Eisberg, Robert; Resnick, Robert (1985). Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles (2nd ed.). Wiley. ISBN 0-471-87373-X.

Liboff, Richard L. (2002). Introductory Quantum Mechanics. Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0-8053-8714-5.

Merzbacher, Eugen (1998). Quantum Mechanics. Wiley, John & Sons, Inc. ISBN 0-471-88702-1.

Sakurai, J. J. (1994). Modern Quantum Mechanics. Addison Wesley. ISBN 0-201-53929-2.

Shankar, R. (1994). Principles of Quantum Mechanics. Springer. ISBN 0-306-44790-8.

Gould, Stephen Jay (2002). The Structure of Evolutionary Theory. Harvard University Press. ISBN 0-674-00613-5.

Maynard Smith, John (1993). The Theory of Evolution: Canto Edition. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-45128-0.

Popper, Karl (1978) Natural selection and the emergence of mind. Dialectica 32:339-55. See [7]

Sober, Elliott (1984) The Nature of Selection: Evolutionary Theory in Philosophical Focus. University of Chicago Press.

Williams, George C. (1966) Adaptation and Natural Selection: A Critique of Some Current Evolutionary Thought. Oxford University Press.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #496 on: September 06, 2010, 09:58:30 AM »

Bernstein, Jeremy (2009). Quantum Leaps. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press. ISBN 9780674035416.
Bohm, David (1989). Quantum Theory. Dover Publications. ISBN 0-486-65969-0.

Eisberg, Robert; Resnick, Robert (1985). Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles (2nd ed.). Wiley. ISBN 0-471-87373-X.

Liboff, Richard L. (2002). Introductory Quantum Mechanics. Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0-8053-8714-5.

Merzbacher, Eugen (1998). Quantum Mechanics. Wiley, John & Sons, Inc. ISBN 0-471-88702-1.

Sakurai, J. J. (1994). Modern Quantum Mechanics. Addison Wesley. ISBN 0-201-53929-2.

Shankar, R. (1994). Principles of Quantum Mechanics. Springer. ISBN 0-306-44790-8.

Gould, Stephen Jay (2002). The Structure of Evolutionary Theory. Harvard University Press. ISBN 0-674-00613-5.

Maynard Smith, John (1993). The Theory of Evolution: Canto Edition. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-45128-0.

Popper, Karl (1978) Natural selection and the emergence of mind. Dialectica 32:339-55. See [7]

Sober, Elliott (1984) The Nature of Selection: Evolutionary Theory in Philosophical Focus. University of Chicago Press.

Williams, George C. (1966) Adaptation and Natural Selection: A Critique of Some Current Evolutionary Thought. Oxford University Press.

Exactly, a believer especially should be versed in the more finite details and history of their own set of beliers in addition to the current scientific theory....that way you can understand the intersection of the two.  I've been working on that for sometime now.  Certainly the average person like myself won't master all these topics through and through, but you can't truly be informed about what you stand for unless you the understand the other side more completely.  Essentially, putting it crudely, you need to understand not only the pro position (the one your support), but the con position (the one you don't support).   Excellent suggestions.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #497 on: September 06, 2010, 10:00:57 AM »
I wonder if Hawking would trade all his knowledge for a 90 IQ and working body.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #498 on: September 06, 2010, 10:05:51 AM »
Exactly, a believer especially should be versed in the more finite details and history of their own set of beliers in addition to the current scientific theory....that way you can understand the intersection of the two.  I've been working on that for sometime now.  Certainly the average person like myself won't master all these topics through and through, but you can't truly be informed about what you stand for unless you the understand the other side more completely.  Essentially, putting it crudely, you need to understand not only the pro position (the one your support), but the con position (the one you don't support).   Excellent suggestions.

Thanks. It's hard to make informed decisions with regards to this topic when one doesn't have, at the very least, a layman's understanding of the sciences.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #499 on: September 06, 2010, 10:36:48 AM »
Thanks. It's hard to make informed decisions with regards to this topic when one doesn't have, at the very least, a layman's understanding of the sciences.

You have to understand current scientific topics in order to better understand or clarify when religion and science conflict.  Certainly an average person like myself won't grasp every topic....I leave that to the experts to explain to me.