Author Topic: 2 Sets Per Exercise  (Read 6330 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
2 Sets Per Exercise
« on: September 07, 2010, 01:28:43 PM »
Anyone ever try this?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: 2 Sets Per Exercise
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:06:01 PM »
Yes, quite often with very good results. And, at times, in the higher rep range of 15 to 20 reps.  Special programs of 30 reps or more reps also. This style was usually for one set. Good luck.
F

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:28:52 PM »
Straight sets, failure, beyond?

Thanks.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:26:48 AM »
The classic heavy breathing squat method comes to mind. The breathing 20 rep system is a form of the Rest/Pause system of training. 1 or 2 sets is only required if the program is done correctly. Seems to setup the metabolism and other hormone/chemical body functions to a exceptional level for gaining true muscle mass. Some will include a set or 2 (nothing more) of benches or BB rows. If the first set of breathing squats are performed the way they should, than the subject will be laying or sitting down breathing like a steam engine. Approach this style of training slowly at first.  General rule of thumb; use the weight on the bar that is done for 10 regular rep and do 20 reps. 3 deep breaths for the first 4 or 5 reps. Around 15 rep you will require 5 to 7 breaths between reps. Maybe  more.

Might add, some of my best upper body gains  with a heavy breathing 20 rep program was the  Pullover & Press. At times, only the pullover.

Rest Pause is another method that only requires a set or two. If done with serious intent.  Usually 10 to 15 second pause between reps. Have a stopwatch or a training partner count the time between reps. If using 200lb (for example) for 6 max reps you may find yourself doing twice that many rep with a Rest/Pause of 10 to 15 seconds between reps. You will get larger and stronger as workouts progress.

Rest Pause Partial rep training (in a Power rack/Cage/off boxes, etc) is where you will be using weight that you would have though way beyond your power. These are short range movement, of maybe a couple of inches to 4 inches or so. If , for example, you use 300 off the floor regular DL's for 8 reps you may be using 400+ when the pins are set just above knee height. And more reps done. Or if benching 220 for 8 reps, set the pins at top level, for a 2 to 4 inch push, could have you using 300 for 12 or more reps.

Partial rack training is meant to be done from a 3 pin phase set position. You want to work the weakest to strongest parts of the lift. Including the middle portions  of the movement. I find that using higher reps (10 to 18) seem to give me more bang for the buck when using partials. Of course lots of men use the 2 to 3 rep scheme also. Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:37:37 PM »
Might add, some of my best upper body gains  with a heavy breathing 20 rep program was the  Pullover & Press. At times, only the pullover.

JPM:
What do you do with the weight during the pause?
Do you set it down next to you, do you rest it on your chest, etc.?

Also, do you perform pullover's with a db or bb?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:07:02 PM »
only when i am trying to really shock my routine....

bench

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 07:39:54 PM »
The only difference, fo me, is that DB's are easier on my wrist and I seem to get a better stretch. With DB's, I rest them on the side of the chest. With a BB, I rest the bar on the floor. A training partner stands by to make sure the bar doesn't roll away. The straight arm version (DB or BB) also gives benefit to quite a few. Though, to me,  the bent arm version gives a better total stretch and more weight can be used. I use both versions, from time to time.

Exceptional exercise with the focus on the lats, pecs, delts,triceps and even the abs. Also affects a increase in the rib box size by stretching the cartilage (between the ribs and the center of the chest). Some gain 2 or 3 inches increase from the rib box alone.. But the trainee must be young enough so that the cartilage does not set as one gets older. Usually the mean average is 23 to 25 before the cartilage sets and becomes harden. Starting while a teenager has a great advantage for a very impressive chest in later years.

The 20 rep breathing squat program alone has been known for a chest/rib box gain in size, due to the forced breathing required. If anyone has done this style program, with serious intent, they will understand what I mean. Some add a lighter set of straight armed pullovers after the squats. To take advantage of the heavy breathing and chest expansion. Good luck.

F

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »
very Fuxian

like a Yates set but safer, I like it

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 08:31:56 AM »
I usually perform two warm up sets.....then two heavy sets.....pushed to about 90 percent of failure.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 11:23:19 AM »
I donīt belive you can stretch the rib box and the cartilage with pullovers..they stretch muscles yes..but to say it stretches cartilage is not proved.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 08:02:01 PM »
Donny: you are incorrect, sir. Can also increase the width of the shoulders with certain movements & stretches. Cut off periods mean average is 24 to 26 yeasrsf or males ,when the cartilage begins to mature and "set"..

Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 02:26:59 AM »
Donny: you are incorrect, sir. Can also increase the width of the shoulders with certain movements & stretches. Cut off periods mean average is 24 to 26 yeasrsf or males ,when the cartilage begins to mature and "set"..

Good Luck.
well maybe you are correct and a lot of " old school " champions did use pullovers. I however donīt believe it. Itīs a training MYTH.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 08:16:51 AM »
..Because one does not believe in something does not always make it a myth. Perhaps not being familiar with a subject can have it's drawbacks. Not old school or new school, just a physical possibility. Of course there is a danger of adding 2 inches, or more, to the total chest measurement when certain combo's of exercises are use in steady workouts. I'll just leave it at that. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »
I am very "Familiar" with the subject.. i suppose lack of Anatomical knowledge could be your problem. It's like "spot reduction" a lot of people still believe that too.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 09:23:07 AM »
im a bit confused here,,, is this asking about 2 set main training, as in 2 working sets per exersize..

or some kind of 'brawn' type training...

if its the 1st, ive trained this way for years, if i didnt feel my form was good enough on the 1st set or i still have somthing left in the tank id do a second set.. it works great if you favour lower volume type training