Author Topic: Simplification  (Read 2898 times)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Simplification
« on: September 11, 2010, 05:22:45 PM »
I am no expert on training, but I recently read an article which emphasized that one should "own the big four" (the article defines "the big four" as shoulder press, bench press, squats, and deadlifts).  Could someone train adequately doing just these exercises?  Is the writer onto something, or is he full of hot air?
~

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Simplification
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 06:31:44 PM »
I think so, but like any program it's going to depend on intensity, frequency, and recovery. In the past, i've done something similar to mix things up. No curls, laterals, etc...

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »
Throw BB rows in there.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 07:59:15 PM »
I think so, but like any program it's going to depend on intensity, frequency, and recovery. In the past, i've done something similar to mix things up. No curls, laterals, etc...
without intensity you dont have shit....it isnt something you can buy....

Throw BB rows in there.
agreed...maybe some uprights too...and as already stated BBcurls

bench

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:37:35 PM »
without intensity you dont have shit....it isnt something you can buy....

Unless you're buying a woman...

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 09:18:05 PM »

indeed...some bitches are intense...

bench

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 08:30:40 AM »
Thank you for the advice, gentlemen.  Like I said, I am no expert on this stuff and I gladly accept any legitimate advice I can get. 
~

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 08:47:53 AM »
Use to be the Big Three; Squat, bench & BB row. But you could adapt most any compound exercise to that I guess. Just as long as a major leg and back movement is included, like the squat, DL and BB Hack squat. Don't really need to add much else to these style programs. Bill Star (Mr 5X5) has some excellent articles on this form of training.

Works well with football players who need to gain an extra 10 to 20 lbs  of muscle during off season. Tend towards more quick lifts like Clean, High pulls, Jerk presses, squat cleans, etc. All compound ball buster exercises. Good Luck.
F

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 02:21:16 PM »
Just got home from the gym.  Did deadlifts to failure (not impressive weight numbers, but I did as much as I could until I was almost in tears) then tabata.  Shoulder presses/tabata tomorrow.
~

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 07:12:03 AM »
I think initially a novice could train adequately with just those 4 movements. As other people have said the back is left out for the most part and another movement would cover that. I personally think too many people, including myself, get distracted with the little stuff, the finishing things for the smaller muscles that will likely make no difference in the long run and sacrifice our time where it could be spent on the larger compound movements.   

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:21:33 AM »
Not only a novice but an experienced lifter can still gain on a abbreviated program. Many do. Keeping to the K.I.S.S. policy most always has value. Can use sets of 3's,  5X5's, 8X8's, GVT or what ever rep and set range you want. All depends on what results are focused upon.

With the Big 4 concept, there is no pulling movement, but 2 pushing exercises (Shoulder and bench press). The DL is pushing off the floor with the legs/glutes/hips. The bar is not pulled up, the arms are only holding it in place.  There is no balance between the push/pull function, while adding a BB row (and dropping one pushing exercise) would ensures that there was.

Could alternate workouts from one to the next. Like workout #1...squat, bench & row. Workout #2...BB Hack squat, dips (weighted) & chins (also weighted). Lots of good compound movements to include in a 3 to 4 exercise abbreviated program. Good Luck.
F

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 08:52:05 AM »
But, but, but....

wouldn't the bench press pushing movement cover the back workout????

I'm sorry. I couldn't restrain my fingers.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 09:00:24 AM »
According to the master blaster TbombZ's reverse logic.... absolutely! The original BBBB; Better Backs Built with Benches idea still holds true. Good Luck.
F

tallgerman

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • I love myself a lot.
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 12:22:35 AM »

in thailand $10 for the day

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 08:30:47 AM »
But, but, but....

wouldn't the bench press pushing movement cover the back workout????

I'm sorry. I couldn't restrain my fingers.
;D

According to the master blaster TbombZ's reverse logic.... absolutely! The original BBBB; Better Backs Built with Benches idea still holds true. Good Luck.
are you retarded......., or are you retarded? im confused  ;D

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 03:10:13 PM »
Instead of shoulder presses/tabata I did bench presses, some bb rows, then tabata.  Squats/tabata tomorrow, then shoulder/tabata Monday.  I really should start writing down some numbers so that I can see if I'm making progress.   :-\
~

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 07:04:04 PM »
;D
 are you retarded......., or are you retarded? im confused  ;D

Hey T..

I've been tryin to call Ken all week but he won't return my calls. I wonder if he hired those trainers back? Tell him to give me a call, or talk to him for me. I'm still triply certified and I can help with management. I guess I should just stop in and see him in teh AM.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 11:20:10 AM »

candizzle is no Master Blaster.

8)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 06:07:48 PM »

Hey T..

I've been tryin to call Ken all week but he won't return my calls. I wonder if he hired those trainers back? Tell him to give me a call, or talk to him for me. I'm still triply certified and I can help with management. I guess I should just stop in and see him in teh AM.
i did tell him and he told me he got a note from you. hes kind of an arrogant douche sometimes.  ;D ill talk to him again.  :)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 10:56:18 AM »

Could alternate workouts from one to the next. Like workout #1...squat, bench & row. Workout #2...BB Hack squat, dips (weighted) & chins (also weighted). Lots of good compound movements to include in a 3 to 4 exercise abbreviated program. Good Luck.

Are these hard on shoulder joints?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 11:12:28 AM »
College football players who are both strong and powerful usaully only use three exercises.  They are the power clean with a push press.  Then onto Squats and the bench.  They might throw in some curls for the girls.

Between Saturday game and daily practice, the weight room has to be to the point.  Do three or four sets of power cleans for 3 reps and tell me your whole body isn't shot. If it isn't you aren't using enough weight.

Doing four different types of curls or chest exercises isn't going to lead to increasing functional strength to perform during game time.  I know some wise ass is going to type getting stronger is functional.  The body works in any athletic sport as a whole entity not in isolational planes.  Sitting in machines isolating body parts isn't going to make you a better athlete.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
If I was ever going to do full-body workouts (never have) I'd do:

- Squat
- SLDL
- Bench
- Row
- Military press

...and finish with some sort of calf exercise then maybe some quick pump sets for arms.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »
you would need to alternate squats with eg front squat, sissy squat or hack squat in order to get complete quad development. Regular squat doesn't activate the whole quad. Read muscle magnet by P Tesch for more info.
As empty as paradise

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 04:56:33 PM »
depends on body type. If your ecto and have long arms and legs your gonna need specialization. For me squats madee my ass huge and did shit for my quads because I have long longs. My arms started growing better with isolaton movements following tbmbz reccomendations.. :) Even when I was lifting some pretty impressive weight for my age like close grip beching 275 for reps my arms still were weak.
l

magicuser

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 06:45:13 PM »
volume seems it so if do a lot of bench squat row muscles will improve drastically

volume

love to see someone get huge frmo pushus n shit liek herschel walkr did

maybe all roids

how depressing