Author Topic: bench pressing shoulder injury  (Read 8705 times)

SNB

• Getbig III
  • check yo' self
bench pressing shoulder injury
« on: July 24, 2005, 03:17:08 PM »
a few weeks ago i guess i didnt warm up properly on bench, and messed up the top part of my shoulder.  has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how long until it felt better?

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: bench pressing shoulder injury
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 09:05:34 AM »
Could be many different things.  Depends on your form, amount of weight you were handling, even your age.  Most likely muscular, though.  You know the routine.  Rest, ice. 

With regards to rest, though, just train around it.  Anything that bothers it--avoid.  Emphasize other bodyparts, like legs, for a while.  Common sense stuff.

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 10:25:12 AM »
Could be many different things.  Depends on your form, amount of weight you were handling, even your age.  Most likely muscular, though.  You know the routine.  Rest, ice. 

With regards to rest, though, just train around it.  Anything that bothers it--avoid.  Emphasize other bodyparts, like legs, for a while.  Common sense stuff.

Also use machines for a while.  Free weights, while better for developing all around mass, tend to put alot of strain on stabilizer muscles and that could be it.  Machines just isolate the specific muscle and not the tendons or smaller muscles.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 01:12:33 AM »
Machines just isolate the specific muscle and not the tendons or smaller muscles.

Um, tendons connect muscle to bone. You can't "isolate" a muscle belly and bypass the tendons. ::)
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 06:59:23 AM »
he may have meant "emphasize"... but I don't think it works like that.

if you had to point to the pain (haha show me where it hurts), would you dig your finger into your shoulder socket about .5-1 inch deep?  if so, that's rotator.  small possibility it's bicep tendon, but that's usually a little more superficial.

BDG

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 10:50:53 AM »
It will probably hurt for a few weeks..

I would switch to machines untill the pain goes away.

And then I would go back to dbells, and dump bench press as an exercise all together.
OSC

weedoutheweak

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Kickin' it
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 01:02:45 AM »
a few weeks ago i guess i didnt warm up properly on bench, and messed up the top part of my shoulder.  has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how long until it felt better?

Develop your rear delt and correct the form of the arm that you write with.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 12:48:17 PM »
AC joint.....Rest, Ice and Ibuprofin....repeat!

man from oz

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 06:12:08 PM »

did my shoulder when first started training

it is still not the same

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 03:36:29 PM »

bigjay34

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 07:30:05 PM »
Rest up, ice, and switch to db press b.b press are real bad for your ac joint. The shoulder is very hard to diagnose, and some exercises will hurt some people  and not others.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 09:20:52 AM »
Definately sounds like an AC joint.I would see a Doc.When it happened to me I let it go and it took forever to stop hurting,and ended up leaving a ugly knot on the top of my shoulder.There is a simple surgery that is sometimes done where they actually remove a small piece of the collar bone.,which stops the pain,because the pain is actually from the bones rubbing together after the joint is strained or seperated.(at least that was what the doc said was causing my pain) It has been a few years so I may have messed up that description somewhat..lol..

Birdman

• Getbig III
  • Pump Til You Puke!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 11:26:22 PM »
Definately sounds like an AC joint.I would see a Doc.When it happened to me I let it go and it took forever to stop hurting,and ended up leaving a ugly knot on the top of my shoulder.There is a simple surgery that is sometimes done where they actually remove a small piece of the collar bone.,which stops the pain,because the pain is actually from the bones rubbing together after the joint is strained or seperated.(at least that was what the doc said was causing my pain) It has been a few years so I may have messed up that description somewhat..lol..

Man I just had this procedure done the first week of April.  My shoulder had been hurting pretty bad for about 9 moths and it just got worse and worse.  The doctor just cuts off about a half inch or so of the clavicle.  Its about a 45 minute procedure.  My problem was that when they got in there they found bone spurs all over the head of the humurous.  The spurs had torn up most of the tissure in the shoulder and part of the rotator cuff.  That caused an infection and went all the way into my bicep.  Needless to say my recovery is taking quite awhile. 

One thing that I recommend is that if anyone has this procedure make sure they do it arthroscopically.  That way they can look at the rest of the shoulder to make sure that you dont have anything else wrong.  Had they gone in with just one incision they would not of found the bone spurs or the the infection. 

I also had a bit of arthritis in there.  Just make sure your careful with your bench and shoulder exercises.  Im only 23 years old and this was horrible for my training.  I had knee surgery in January so I've had a huge setback this year. 

Good luck bro