Author Topic: The good old days.  (Read 41398 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: The good old days.
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2010, 04:39:42 AM »
HEY! HEY!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2010, 04:54:29 AM »
Disturbia will you stop posting in my threads? Just go away and kill yourself and do everyone a favour! ;D

Christian by chance?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2010, 04:55:59 AM »
Ok, I'll bite.  What did you study, Vince?

I went to a few universities. First was CMR at St Jean, Quebec as an Officer Cadet. Didn't like that so accepted a National Scholarship to attend McGill University in Montreal. I won that in grade 12 at Kamloops High School. So so in arts classes at McGill so headed for UBC. Topped my class in 3rd year PE while doing 6 subjects and got on the Dean's List. Earned a BA from UBC majoring in Philosophy and Geography with a minor in Psychology. Made it to the last 8 when I applied for a Rhodes Scholarship. Did a couple of years in Grad school but dropped out. Then off to Australia and completed my DipEd that I started at UBC. Taught PE in high school for 10 years. Ran my gym, started a gym equipment business and finished my MEd from Sydney University in 1989. Did most of my masters courses in the Philosophy of Science which I enjoyed. Did one course in Exercise Physiology at the masters level. College Militaire Royale, McGill, UBC, U of Toronto, Simon Fraser, Alexander Mackie (NSW) and Sydney U were the universites I attended.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2010, 04:57:17 AM »
Christian by chance?

That was a joke. Josh keeps telling me to do that when I post in his threads. Atheist by choice.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2010, 05:06:52 AM »
That was a joke. Josh keeps telling me to do that when I post in his threads. Atheist by choice.

;)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2010, 05:11:36 AM »
I'm surprised, Vince.  I expected to see a lot more business administration or maybe mechanical engineering given your endeavours.  

Why the move away from education and into the gym business then?  It seems like a fairly risky venture with a big startup cost.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2010, 05:32:06 AM »
When I came to Sydney in January 1971 I had to get a job and found one teaching PE in high school. Killarney Heights High in Northern Sydney. In August 71 I opened The Sydney Morning Herald and told Roz I was going to buy a gym. Well, one was for sale so I went out to have a look. I brought a 60% interest in the West Ryde Barbell Club for $1000. Had to borrow the money from a finance company and they put my Mr C trophy up as part of the collateral. In 6 months paid another $1000 for the rest of the gym. Changed the name to Vince's Gym. Worked teaching and then went to the gym every night. No holiday for 10 years! In 1980 I quit teaching as it was too stressful. Early in 1981 I started a gym equipment business and bought a mig welder, bandsaw, lathe, radial drill and other machines and tools and started designing and building gym equipment. I had a partner for 6 months but he pulled out so I was on my own. I hired a guy who knew more than me about making gym equipment and in the meantime had to learn fabrication and engineering. Read a few text books or at least looked at some from time to time. Engineering is relatively easy for me and I can now design a new piece of equipment and get it almost spot on the first time. Usually it takes several prototypes to get it right.

The reason I started making equipment is because people in the gym would both bore and annoy me. The way everyone thinks they know all about exercise and training when in fact most know either bugger all or very little. Steel will do what you make it do and you can always correct mistakes. People are not as malleable.

I regret not continuing with my studies and earning a PhD. I would have enjoyed lecturing at a university. Perhaps staff should have encouraged me to do the philosophy of PE way back in the sixties. Or even exercise science. I am hardly interested in business admin. I did earn a patent for my biceps supinator. I was pleased because the head of an engineering department at Sydney University couldn't solve the problem of having two degrees of freedom in an exercise machine with two weight stacks. Even Arthur Jones couldn't solve this problem. He was the one that alerted me to the desirability of having resistance for supination and rotation for the biceps. On my machine you can do that independently or simultaneously. I have no doubt that my machine is one of the most complicated pulley machines ever installed in gym on this planet.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2010, 06:02:43 AM »
Vince, it occurs to me that there are settings where lectures of the sort you propose would be greeted with greater enthusiasm than you might find in ivy covered halls, and you just happen to own one.  Why not organize a free seminar and see how it goes over?  I bet you'd get a lot of interest.  You could even form a few groups and test out your ideas.  I bet you'd have a blast.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2010, 06:16:55 AM »
I have given a few seminars and training camps. I think I charged either 10 or 20 dollars and people had theory plus putting that theory into practice. They usually went for hours. Ray Mentzer gave training camps so I thought they were a good idea. I haven't given any for many years now.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2017, 02:39:38 PM »
I picked 15 judges but 13 were there. Ken Rivard got 5 and I got 8 first place votes. I picked intelligent, independent, experienced and unbiased people. Chuck Sipes picked me which I felt good about. It was a close contest and I was surprised that I won.

;D ;D ;D
X

doggler

• Getbig IV
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2018, 05:03:48 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CORNUTO.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2018, 05:46:38 PM »
76..I'm 20 years away but I bet it goes by fast

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2018, 07:25:42 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CORNUTO.

;D
       8) 8)

luckyone

• Getbig II
  • 64 years young
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2018, 08:59:56 PM »
Happy Birthday Vince, thanks for your contributions to the board.

your brother in Christ,

Lucky

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2018, 09:04:41 PM »
Happy Birthday Vince!
Q

Kwon3

« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2018, 09:06:24 PM »
This old bastard's still alive? Jesus, these voodoo dolls don't work AT ALL.

What you!

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2018, 12:21:16 AM »
He has left getbig for years now.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2018, 05:31:32 AM »
Need more pics of the Porsche 911 2.7 RS.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2018, 07:36:43 AM »
Happy Birthday Vince.  Enjoy the day.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2018, 03:10:45 PM »
Need more pics of the Porsche 911 2.7 RS.

no porsche  ;D

no gym  ;D

no "penthouse"  ;D

no mr.australia '75 photos  ;D

no bb body  ;D

etc,  :D

Kwon3

« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2018, 03:12:37 PM »

no porsche  ;D

no gym  ;D

no "penthouse"

no mr.australia '75 photos  ;D

no bb body  ;D

etc,  :D

Wait, I thought you liked him?

I'm sorry for snapping at you in PMs then!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2018, 05:45:27 AM »
This old bastard's still alive? Jesus, these voodoo dolls don't work AT ALL.

What you!

76 today. Had a good arm workout yesterday. Arms near 18 which is amazing. Never thought I would retain large arms at my age.

What you, Chaos!

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2018, 06:15:24 AM »
76 today. Had a good arm workout yesterday. Arms near 18 which is amazing. Never thought I would retain large arms at my age.

What you, Chaos!

18 inches of fat

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2018, 06:17:10 AM »

18 inches of fat

My fat arms and grip could rip your ribs out!

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2018, 06:18:26 AM »

My fat arms and grip could rip your ribs out!

Haha, maybe