Author Topic: The return of Fedor  (Read 14172 times)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
The return of Fedor
« on: September 22, 2010, 08:48:11 AM »
Apparently he is training again.

For who, I have no idea-- Werdum is injured, he's probably not getting a title shot against Overeem coming off of a loss and Barnett just signed with SF.

Without turning this into another stupid UFC v. Fedor thread-- here is a recent youtube video of Fedor training=

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: The return of Fedor
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 09:40:42 AM »
He is supposed to fight Antonio Silva. 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »
who cares.  I honestly have no interest in seeing Fedor fight.  Maybe if he went to LHW...
w

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 01:24:06 PM »
Agree 100%.

I am looking forward to Jake Shields making his highly anticipated UFC debut! Also, Lidell-Ortiz III is in the works!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:44:59 PM »
Agree 100%.

I am looking forward to Jake Shields making his highly anticipated UFC debut! Also, Lidell-Ortiz III is in the works!

lol
w

James

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:51:31 PM »

Bret Rogers was able to fight Overeem (after losing), so it is possible that fedor and Overeem would fight.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 04:22:12 PM »
Josh Barnett just signed with Strikeforce, that's a good candidate for Fedor's next fight.
Predictions
 40/61

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:49:06 AM »
It should be with Overeem

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 10:04:34 AM »
Josh Barnett just signed with Strikeforce, that's a good candidate for Fedor's next fight.

If Fedor fights Barnett, whose tested positive for PEDs 2x, then we'll know for sure he was ducking Overeem, whose never tested positive...
w

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 10:08:27 AM »
If Fedor fights Barnett, whose tested positive for PEDs 2x, then we'll know for sure he was ducking Overeem, whose never tested positive...

They offered Overeem a fight with Fedor but he declined because of previous plans to fight in Japan during that same time frame.  Either way Barnett clean or dirty is just as tough of a fight if not moreso than Overeem at this point.
Predictions
 40/61

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 10:43:59 AM »
They offered Overeem a fight with Fedor but he declined because of previous plans to fight in Japan during that same time frame.  Either way Barnett clean or dirty is just as tough of a fight if not moreso than Overeem at this point.

Not just that ( Im sure Spin had no clue about any of what you typed above, he is too busy scouting for next seasons TUF which features a new midget weight class of under 100 lbs), but a fight with Barnett has been in the makings since Affliction folded. Barnett has been in the picture long before anyone considered Fedor fighting Overeem.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 10:48:41 AM »
Not just that ( Im sure Spin had no clue about any of what you typed above, he is too busy scouting for next seasons TUF which features a new midget weight class of under 100 lbs), but a fight with Barnett has been in the makings since Affliction folded. Barnett has been in the picture long before anyone considered Fedor fighting Overeem.

Really?  Wow, I didn't know ::)  My point is that when Overeem was available for Fedor, Fedor refused the fight unless Overeem was subjected to extensive PED testing, even though Overeem has never tested positive.  However, Fedor is more than willing to take on Barnett, even though Barnett has tested positive multiple times.

Overeem did not "decline" the Fedor fight.  He already had a fight scheduled...two different things.

And, I agree, Fedor vs Barnett would be a decent fight...
w

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 01:01:22 PM »
 Midget MMA > Fedor  ;D

suckmymuscle

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
Midget MMA > Fedor  ;D

George, what do you think about Werdum's statement that Fedor was defeated by his impatience and that, despite the loss, Fedor is still the greatest MMA fighter of all times?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
I think he is 100% correct. If he never fights again he is the greatest of all time so thats a non-issue. As far as the fight goes, He knocked Werdum down, and while bone dry dived head first into his guard to finish the fight. Stupid mistake caused by impatience. If Werdum isn't one of the best grapplers in MMA, Fedor probably gets away with it.  If Fedor had been Ko'd, lost a decision or had been submitted over the course of a fight where it was obvious Fedor was not himself, then I would be in agreement that the game has passed him by. This was a loss, but it was hardly a defeat.

A win is a win, and Werdum deserved it-- He capitalized on a mistake made by a relatively mistake free fighter and made the most of it.

Of course, if Fedor loses his next fight- then it's safe to say he won't ever regain his former glory. However, unless he goes on an inept 10 fight+ KO loss losing streak like Lidell, his legacy is safe imo.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 05:33:11 PM »
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 07:23:29 PM »
X2
i watched midget fighting a couple of months ago at a bar in houston....they have that shit once a month ;D

bench

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 08:44:29 AM »
Fedor has a puffed up record with most of his wins over no-name cans.  Not sure how that makes him the greatest ever?  Before he can stake claim to that, he needs to fight the best...
w

suckmymuscle

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 09:46:14 AM »
Fedor has a puffed up record with most of his wins over no-name cans.  Not sure how that makes him the greatest ever?  Before he can stake claim to that, he needs to fight the best...

He did. Did you watch PRIDE FC? Fedor ruled over that heavyweight division for 4 years. He may or may not be the best today, but he is certainly the greatest ever. Brock will need to remain UFC heavyweight champion for another 3 years before he matches Fedor and then can enter into contention with him for the title of greatest ever. For the time being, Fedor is the greatest ever undoubtedly.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 10:15:08 AM »
Cheers to our brilliant moderator for starting another stupid pissing contest about Fedor. Any second now, Weight is going to descend out of nowhere to offer 137 identical posts.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 10:19:16 AM »
 He did. Did you watch PRIDE FC? Fedor ruled over that heavyweight division for 4 years. He may or may not be the best today, but he is certainly the greatest ever. Brock will need to remain UFC heavyweight champion for another 3 years before he matches Fedor and then can enter into contention with him for the title of greatest ever. For the time being, Fedor is the greatest ever undoubtedly.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

First, Fedor fought in Pride for 3 years, not 4.  And, in that time he fought cans like Naoya Ogawa, Kazuyuki Fujita & Wagner "Zuluzinho" da Conceicao Martins ::)  That said, he did fight the best of that era, so Fedor is the best of that era, not the "best ever".

And, he's certainly not the best today.
w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 10:20:53 AM »
Cheers to our brilliant moderator for starting another stupid pissing contest about Fedor. Any second now, Weight is going to descend out of nowhere to offer 137 identical posts.

Is it wrong to have a differing opinion on who the greatest fighter is?  Is this not a discussion forum to debate these exact type of topics?  I'm not attacking anyone.  I'm simply stating my opinion.
w

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 11:54:46 AM »
First, Fedor fought in Pride for 3 years, not 4.  And, in that time he fought cans like Naoya Ogawa, Kazuyuki Fujita & Wagner "Zuluzinho" da Conceicao Martins ::)  That said, he did fight the best of that era, so Fedor is the best of that era, not the "best ever".

And, he's certainly not the best today.

Do you even know who Naoya Ogawa is?  He's an olympic medalist with top of the food chain Judo, he actually dropped a Stephan Leko (who is an accomplished k-1 fighter) with punches before subbing him.  I think you should educate yourself on fighters you know nothing about before making ignorant judgments like that.
Predictions
 40/61

suckmymuscle

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 12:23:16 PM »
I think he is 100% correct. If he never fights again he is the greatest of all time so thats a non-issue. As far as the fight goes, He knocked Werdum down, and while bone dry dived head first into his guard to finish the fight. Stupid mistake caused by impatience. If Werdum isn't one of the best grapplers in MMA, Fedor probably gets away with it.  If Fedor had been Ko'd, lost a decision or had been submitted over the course of a fight where it was obvious Fedor was not himself, then I would be in agreement that the game has passed him by. This was a loss, but it was hardly a defeat.

A win is a win, and Werdum deserved it-- He capitalized on a mistake made by a relatively mistake free fighter and made the most of it.

Of course, if Fedor loses his next fight- then it's safe to say he won't ever regain his former glory. However, unless he goes on an inept 10 fight+ KO loss losing streak like Lidell, his legacy is safe imo.

Werdum appeared in a T.V program here in Brazil talking about the fight, and he was extremely humble about his win over Fedor. Here are some of his quotes - I am reproducing it from memory, so the words are not exactly the same:

"I knew that my only chance would be to get Fedor in a vulnerable position and submit him. If he didn't fall for my trap, he would have
won the fight."

On Fedor's toughness:

"I admire the toughness of Fedor. He was literally purple when he tapped. Any other man would have given up much sooner. If he didn't tap at that point, he would have passed out a couple seconds latter. He fought to the last ounce of consciousness.

On Fedor's ground game:

Fedor's ground game is outstanding, better than most BJJ black belts. In the past, Fedor has been able to grapple with BJJ black belts and win, but I'm on a level above black belts. Fedor decided to fight me in the one area where I am superior and so he lost."

Further complimenting Fedor's ground skills:

"Fedor escaped my first submission attempt, which only a BJJ master would be able to, but he insisted on his mistake and got caught in the second time.

On whether Fedor could win the UFC heavyweight belt:

"If we are talking about the Fedor from his PRIDE days, then absolutely. Fedor from the PRIDE era was the greatest MMA fighter of all times. Today, I don't know. It's hard for me to evaluate how Fedor is fighting nowadays based on the fight I had with him."

On a hypothetical showdown between Fedor and UFC heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar:

"That is a very good question. I don't know. Fedor is far superior to Brock at everything except wrestling and sheer strength. On the stand-up, Fedor would knock Brock out or wear him out. Fedor is the most powerful and precise puncher in MMA history; his right overhand is legendary. On the ground, I believe it is 50/50. Fedor is the superior grappler, but Brock has the wrestling and superior strength. I can see Brock taking Fedor down, laying on top of him and neutralizing his ground game with his superior strength. But I can also see Fedor slipping in a submission somewhere. I really don't know. Overral, I give it to Fedor, but it is hard to say because Brock is so much stronger and so athletic.

Being humble about his win:

"I would be flaterring myself if I said that my win was only due to my superior grappling skills. The truth is that Fedor was defeated as much by his greed and impatience as by my superior grappling skills. Fedor fought very carelessly. Very unusual for Fedor.

On being  a fan:

"I am a huge fan of Fedor's. He is one of my icon in MMA. I remember how special it was to watch Fedor fighting back in PRIDE. He would defeat all of these great fighters and he would do it so dominantly and make it seem so effortless. He was so far above everybody else on all aspects of the game. Incredible. On the one hand, I was happy to win, but on the other I was saddened. As a fan, I would have liked if he retired undefeated.

On Dana White's comments that Fedor was overrated and that his defeated to an UFC rejected is proof:

"Dana says that about every fighter who doesen't fight in the UFC. When I was in the UFC, he called me the most technical grappler in existence and the "great new hope of BJJ". Now that I am out of the UFC, I am suddenly a tomato can and worthless. It must be really painful and embarassing for Dana that all UFC champs past and present regard Fedor as the greatest MMA fighter ever.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »
Do you even know who Naoya Ogawa is?  He's an olympic medalist with top of the food chain Judo, he actually dropped a Stephan Leko (who is an accomplished k-1 fighter) with punches before subbing him.  I think you should educate yourself on fighters you know nothing about before making ignorant judgments like that.

I know who he is, because I'm a hardcore fan.  But most people don't.  In MMA he is a nobody with a total of nine fights and wins over a whole bunch of other noname fighters including: Rens Vrolijk, Rob Peters, Masaaki Satake, Matt Ghaffari, Stefan Leko & Paulo Cesar Silva.  Six of his seven winds are over guys with more losses than wins in the record ::) 

Just another puffed up fighter on Fedor's record...
w