Author Topic: Moss to be traded to the Vikings  (Read 4486 times)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Moss to be traded to the Vikings
« on: October 06, 2010, 07:46:23 AM »
I'm somewhat suprised by this move. The Patriots have a terrific front office and I understand the reason for the trade. They originally acquired him cheap for a 4th rounder. Then he plays 3 excellent years with the Patriots before being traded for a 3rd rounder.

I understand getting something in return rather than let him walk after the season as a free agent. It's definitely similiar to the Seymour trade situation.

But are the Patriots playing to win this year? I don't think trading Moss to the Vikings represents addition by subtraction. I don't think this move makes the Patriots a better team for the remainder of the 2010 season. Moss can still play a very high level. Despite only catching 9 passes this season, he still has scored 3 TD's in 4 games so far this year. (remember that SICK one-handed TD catch?)

Body88---what's you take on the situation? Do the Patriots still contend this year without Moss? I don't think they do and I'm sure glad the Ravens don't have to cover him on Oct. 17th.

Rather, the Patriots defense better be worried when he comes back to town wearing purple on Oct. 31st. A motivated Moss is a DANGEROUS Moss. I would love for the Ravens to make a run at him as a free agent in 2011(if we have football that year). Boldin and Moss on the outside? Deadly.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Moss to be traded to the Vikings
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 07:52:37 AM »
Wow.....great news for Favre.  And when Rice gets healthy, that offense will be unstoppable.  If they can just contain the bleeding for awhile.

As for Pats, you could see the writing on the wall.....only 9 catches for the season?  Ouch.  They just want to spread the ball around. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
Wow.....great news for Favre.  And when Rice gets healthy, that offense will be unstoppable.  If they can just contain the bleeding for awhile.

As for Pats, you could see the writing on the wall.....only 9 catches for the season?  Ouch.  They just want to spread the ball around.  

Yeah...9 catches but 3 touchdowns out of those 9 catches. I don't even think he was targeted in the Dolphins game so leads me to think that they were already working out a trade with the Vikings prior to the game. Didn't want to expose him to injury but they played him anyway rather than bench him and cause a media fire storm.

The Patriots are using a lot of two TE sets and passing over the middle rather than the outside this season.

Moss is still a beast. I predict he's going to light it up as a Viking and give that team a much needed shot in the arm.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 09:28:34 AM »
Yeah...9 catches but 3 touchdowns out of those 9 catches. I don't even think he was targeted in the Dolphins game so leads me to think that they were already working out a trade with the Vikings prior to the game. Didn't want to expose him to injury but they played him anyway rather than bench him and cause a media fire storm.

The Patriots are using a lot of two TE sets and passing over the middle rather than the outside this season.

Moss is still a beast. I predict he's going to light it up as a Viking and give that team a much needed shot in the arm.

Agree on all points.  There is talk now that Pats might go after Steve Smith from Carolina, but he is a bit of a hothead and Belechik and Brady would have to straighten him out some. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »
Agree on all points.  There is talk now that Pats might go after Steve Smith from Carolina, but he is a bit of a hothead and Belechik and Brady would have to straighten him out some. 

Wow....really? I think the Pats are content to move forward with Welker, Tate, Edelman, and Hernandez as their wideouts. I don't think that marriage would work between Smith and Belichek. Smith is a hell of a competitor but I don't think he would mesh well in the Pats offensive scheme. But what do I know?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
Wow....really? I think the Pats are content to move forward with Welker, Tate, Edelman, and Hernandez as their wideouts. I don't think that marriage would work between Smith and Belichek. Smith is a hell of a competitor but I don't think he would mesh well in the Pats offensive scheme. But what do I know?

Skill wise, I think he's a great fit.....great yac guy and doesn't mind going over the middle and getting drilled.  But the first time he punched out another player at practice, Belichik would send the whole D-line to his house for a blanket party....haha

ask Body88, I've been singing Tate's praises since they drafted him.  I really hope he shines given the chance.

body88

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:07:43 AM »
Fellas below are my thoughts... In short, I am not happy with the compensation for the deal, but understand the logic and it makes sense. If there is a lockout next year...Moss will not be back until he is 35 years old.

Calvin Tate is the future. Three returned kicks in 4 games : - )

Guts, I think the Pats know that they are to young on the defensive side of the ball to win a title this year, and they are planning for 2011.

The good:

The Pats now have 2 picks in every round of next years draft.
2 1's
2 2's
2 3's
3 4's
etc

Randy has been whining and crying because the Pats are going back to their old ways. Spreading the ball around. They have a lot of new weapons: Hernandez, Gronc, Edelmen, Woodhead, Welker, BJGE, Tate. Randy has become a distraction and a drama queen.

Last week the Pats scored 40 points vs the Dolphins with moss not having a single catch

They paid a 4th for Moss, got over 4000 yards of production and over 50 td's. They gained a 3rd round pick for a 33 yr old wr. Not a bad rental.

They have said they are not going to sign him to a long term big money deal and he's a free agent. He would have walked at the end of the season.

The bad:

D's will now key on Welker more...unless Tate can continue to stretch the field

A second rounder would have been better compensation. That being said, with a lockout pending it might have been tough to get someone to cough up that high a pick.

He's Randy Moss, ob he will be missed.

The Pats are YOUNG. Losing another vet might be a bad thing...unless the reports of him causing trouble in the locker room are true.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 12:27:26 PM »
Zero catches on Sunday.  Randy Moss quits on his team?  I didn't see that one coming.  I can't wait till he retires.

body88

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 12:29:15 PM »
Zero catches on Sunday.  Randy Moss quits on his team?  I didn't see that one coming.  I can't wait till he retires.

To be fair, it was by design. He was not thrown at.

Randy made several stupid comments in press conferences and also at NE charity events. that's what sealed his fate. He knew the Pats would not be giving him a fat new contract and he melted down.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 01:15:27 PM »
To be fair, it was by design. He was not thrown at.

Randy made several stupid comments in press conferences and also at NE charity events. that's what sealed his fate. He knew the Pats would not be giving him a fat new contract and he melted down.

They intentionally didn't throw him the ball, or he intentionally didn't run good routes, try and get open, etc.? 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »
My guess is that he was intentionally not targeted during the game to minimize exposure to injury. A trade scenario involving Moss probably caught fire before the Dolphins game. IF Belichik would've benched Moss for the game instead, it would have been all over the media as a controversey.

Either way if a player's career history holds any signifigance, then watch for Moss to explode during the first season with his new team. I think it's beautiful that Moss plays New England on Oct.31st. I'm predicting at least 2 touchdown catches from Moss in that game.

He's still playing for a new contract. He'll sign a 3 or 4 year deal with a new team in 2011. He's simply too talented and more than a handful of teams would like to add him to their roster.

body88

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 05:04:57 PM »
They intentionally didn't throw him the ball, or he intentionally didn't run good routes, try and get open, etc.? 

They intentionally did noty throw him the ball. They spread it around instead of forcing it.

The pats scored 40 points without Moss having a catch or Welker scoring a TD. They are making an effort to get back to being like the superbowl teams.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »

They intentionally did noty throw him the ball. They spread it around instead of forcing it.

The pats scored 40 points without Moss having a catch or Welker scoring a TD. They are making an effort to get back to being like the superbowl teams.

The only thing that would concern me, if I were a Pats fan, is that with Moss receiving so much attention, it made everybody else that much better.  I love Welker, but he isn't a #1.

body88

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 05:10:22 PM »
I don't agree. I think the patriots are making an effort to get back to spreading the ball around. They have new weapons, and they are running the ball like they used to. Keep in mind, Brady targeted Moss for a TD and he dropped the ball.

If there is a lockout next year, Moss will not see the field until 2012 at over 35 years old. The Patriots did not want to commit huge money to a 33 year old receiver who has a knack for acting like a child when he does not get his way. Especially with new offensive weapons like Hernandez, Gronc, Tate and BJGE...and 6 picks in the first three rounds next year (two being first round picks...and one of those picks likely being a top ten pick fom Oakland) - they can make trades or draft a we high.

Clearly Moss is supremely talented. I wish it could have been different, however, I do understand the Patriots position.

Are the pats a better team because of the move they made today...nope. Might they be in the future? I think so.

body88

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 05:13:12 PM »
The only thing that would concern me, if I were a Pats fan, is that with Moss receiving so much attention, it made everybody else that much better.  I love Welker, but he isn't a #1.

I agree. Tate is the vertical threat not Welker. Also keep in mind Hernandez and Gronc are 6'3 and 6'6. Those guys where not there last year...and now the Pats have a running game. Tate is no Randy Moss, but over the last 3 games he has done a good job at stretching the field. Good enough to pose a threat.

I dont think the patriots think they can win a title with the young defense, so they are planning for next year and the year after.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »

Actually the offense only scored 20 points.  They only had 153 yards passing and 1 TD pass.  Not saying they needed more because they won, but it's not like the offense was a juggernaut.

Offensively, they were better when Moss and Welker were the focal point of the offense.  Statistically, they had one of the best offenses in NFL history just a couple years ago.   

body88

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 09:28:11 PM »
You're missing my point. The Patriots had a 100 yard rusher and several guys making plays and creating points. They spread the ball around and hit the open man. That's old school Patriot football...the formula that won them three titles. I said the Pats scored 40 points without Moss having a single catch or Welker going in for a td. That is true. The Pats just made plays. Just like the old teams. On D...on O and on special teams.

The 2007 Pats had the best offense in NFL history. And you know what that got them? Nothing. It got them a whole bunch of great stats and records and a loss in the superbowl. Partly because of Asante's whiffed int opportunity to end the game, and the once in a lifetime catch David Tyree made, but it should have never been that close.

Yes, Moss and Welker being the focal point of the offense leads to better offensive stats. It also does not work. Ive watched every game over the last three years from my seats, and let me tell you, forcing the ball to Moss has done more harm than good, recently. Welker works underneath and can get open (even when doubled) so Brady does not force it to him as much. He will remain a focal point and while he will be effected by Moss leaving, I dont think it will be as bad as some of you think due to Hernandez who cannot be left alone in the middle of the field, and Tate who has Moss type speed.

The Patriots have plenty of offensive weapons...and I suspect they will use one of their million draft picks to replace Moss. As of right now, Brandon Tate can stretch the field enough to let the other weapons work. Hernandez, Groncowski, BJGE, Edelmen and Welker are all capable of making plays. Moss will be missed, but its not the end of the world. All the critics said the same shit when Belichick let go of Law and they lost to the bills 30 to zip a week later. Th Pats went on to win the superbowl that year. Pats are planning for the future...that is why they have been running at the top of the NFL for the last 10 years.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 05:17:08 AM »
I think a lot of what body says directly ties in with why the Pats are making the changes.  When they spread the ball around, they were winning SB's on a regular basis, and even though the offense was incredible they won zero SB's with Moss.  Something to be said about that.  Granted it took a miracle to beat them, but the numbers don't lie. 

Belichik doesn't make "dumb" moves.  The guy is, IMO, the best coach in the NFL.  I'll trust his judgement as he is probably seeing things in film/games that made this move the choice for him.  As fans, we miss a lot of the little things.

One question body, how is it the Pats get away with starting an entire law firm at RB....Ben, Jarvis, Green, Elllis LLC?  ;D

body88

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 08:55:12 AM »
Moss is an amazing talent; I wish things could have been different.

If you look at the years since 2007, you see that the patriots have put up great stats, but had little success in the post season. You will also see that Brady was forcing Moss the ball on a consistant basis. It led to int's and also to an unbalanced game plan. I'm not saying that Moss didn't hit his home runs...he did, but, you can see how much more effective the Pats are when they spread it around. Last week was a great example of this. Sure randy departure will effect the Pats, but they have a guy who can at least command attention regarding the deep ball, two new tight ends, A HOF qb, welker and a running game.

Randy bought his own ticket out of town. He said all kinds of nice things about the patriots, then went on random rants in the media and did some pretty disrespectful things at a charity event the krafts held recently. He also became a problem in the locker room when he felt he was not being fed the ball on a consistant basis. The patriots need to get back to a balanced 53 man roster who buy into the system. Bottom line, the pats were not going to give a 33 year old wr 10 million per year for three years when there is a pending lockout. When Moss figured out he was done here he melted down.

The patriots have rebuilt the team while remaining competitive. They've got two draft picks in every round of next years draft to finish the job. You see flashes of playmakers on D finally.They are young and out of place often, but when they get it...watch out.

BJGE is the man. The law firm, lol.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 12:22:55 PM »
You're missing my point. The Patriots had a 100 yard rusher and several guys making plays and creating points. They spread the ball around and hit the open man. That's old school Patriot football...the formula that won them three titles. I said the Pats scored 40 points without Moss having a single catch or Welker going in for a td. That is true. The Pats just made plays. Just like the old teams. On D...on O and on special teams.

The 2007 Pats had the best offense in NFL history. And you know what that got them? Nothing. It got them a whole bunch of great stats and records and a loss in the superbowl. Partly because of Asante's whiffed int opportunity to end the game, and the once in a lifetime catch David Tyree made, but it should have never been that close.

Yes, Moss and Welker being the focal point of the offense leads to better offensive stats. It also does not work. Ive watched every game over the last three years from my seats, and let me tell you, forcing the ball to Moss has done more harm than good, recently. Welker works underneath and can get open (even when doubled) so Brady does not force it to him as much. He will remain a focal point and while he will be effected by Moss leaving, I dont think it will be as bad as some of you think due to Hernandez who cannot be left alone in the middle of the field, and Tate who has Moss type speed.

The Patriots have plenty of offensive weapons...and I suspect they will use one of their million draft picks to replace Moss. As of right now, Brandon Tate can stretch the field enough to let the other weapons work. Hernandez, Groncowski, BJGE, Edelmen and Welker are all capable of making plays. Moss will be missed, but its not the end of the world. All the critics said the same shit when Belichick let go of Law and they lost to the bills 30 to zip a week later. Th Pats went on to win the superbowl that year. Pats are planning for the future...that is why they have been running at the top of the NFL for the last 10 years.

Not missing your point.  I understand what you're saying.  I was putting one of your points in context (the Pats scoring 40 points without Moss).  The offense only score 20, not 40. 

I don't think they should be forcing the ball to any player, but it's hard to argue with what happened in 2007.  I wouldn't call it the best offense in NFL history (I understand they set NFL records, etc.), but it was certainly one of the best ever.  That's when their offense was at it's best IMO.  And they would have won the Super Bowl with that offense, with the game winning TD by Moss, if they played better defense. 

That said, you watch NE play a lot more than me, so I'll defer to you on what they do, should do, etc. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 12:01:52 PM »
Heard the Pats are talking to SD about Vincent Jackson.  I think they should pull the trigger.  They have plenty of draft picks.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »
Heard the Pats are talking to SD about Vincent Jackson.  I think they should pull the trigger.  They have plenty of draft picks.
No way. He's one mistake away from a 1 year suspension.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 04:11:18 PM »
No way. He's one mistake away from a 1 year suspension.

True, but he's also one of the best WRs in the NFL.  I'd rather have him than an unproven rookie.  Rookies are pretty risky too. 

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 04:53:23 PM »
True, but he's also one of the best WRs in the NFL.  I'd rather have him than an unproven rookie.  Rookies are pretty risky too. 
That's true, and yes he's a great reciever but he's going to want around 30 million in guaranteed money. I don't see it happening, too much money to commit to a head case like that, when they just got rid of a guy who wanted to "get paid".

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 05:08:12 PM »
That's true, and yes he's a great reciever but he's going to want around 30 million in guaranteed money. I don't see it happening, too much money to commit to a head case like that, when they just got rid of a guy who wanted to "get paid".

I heard they were talking to Seattle about Branch too.