Author Topic: Who here is a mechanical engineer or studying to become one?  (Read 15677 times)

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
Who here is a mechanical engineer or studying to become one?
« on: October 09, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
I'm curios to know since I hopefully will be starting my studies this upcoming january.

How was the studying? Same level of brutal as med school or easier? I've heard that chemical engineering is pretty damn difficult and that other types of engineering can vary depending on the school etc. Did you enjoy it?

Job prospects?

Any tips/hints?
from incomplete data

Campeon Del Mundo

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Who here is a mechanical engineer or studying to become one?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 04:16:06 PM »
   it's hard to say what is tougher but my concern is the years of hard work only to be faced with bleak employment prospects.  Engineering as a whole is almost impossible to get in to.  I did my BS in computer science and used to work as a programmer.  Getting a job is almost impossible.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 04:20:38 PM »

im an industrial engineer, but knew plenty of ME's that were friends.  It's about the same as a civil / industrial / etc.  Chem E is probably your hardest engineering with Petroleum as 2nd. 

most mechanicals dbl major...with mechanical and aerospace.

as far as comparing it to med school, how would an engineer know whether its harder or easier? 

i worked a few years as an engineer and now im back in school and applying to med school this coming summer or fall.  im assuming its probably about the same level of difficulty as getting an engineering degree, but who knows. 

The people I've met that have gone to med school pretty much ceased to have a life whereas I'm not sure that's the case with engineers.

Did you work in the states or overseas? Where would you say the most jobs are right now or in the upcoming future?
from incomplete data

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
   it's hard to say what is tougher but my concern is the years of hard work only to be faced with bleak employment prospects.  Engineering as a whole is almost impossible to get in to.  I did my BS in computer science and used to work as a programmer.  Getting a job is almost impossible.

Are you referring to america or europe/asia? I didn't know it was that bad, at least not in europe.
from incomplete data

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 04:25:34 PM »
IT

End of Thread.
I hate the State.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »
I'm curios to know since I'm hopefully will be starting my studies this upcoming january.

How was the studying? Same level of brutal as med school or easier? I've heard that chemical engineering is pretty damn difficult and that other types of engineering can vary depending on the school etc. Did you enjoy it?

i started out mechanical engineering and ended up doubling in bio/chem.  i'd say engineering core courses were on par with chemistry (p-chem, quantitative analysis, etc), and  you need eng based physics and mathematics for chem.         

grad is another league.   

Job prospects?

most would say electrical engineer equals more job opportunities

Any tips/hints?

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »
Ok here are my credentials, Bachelors in Systes Engineerin with a minor in Compute Science, Masters in Engineering Management, and now currently a PhD candidate in Industrial Engineering, I originally started off in the Mechanical Engineering program, and after a year and a half i found out about the development of the Systems Engineering program at our University I switched because I thought it was more suitable to what I wanted to do, all Engineering is pretty fucking hard, but if I had to rank them i would say Chemical Engineering and Electrical Engineering are the two hardest in the field with Mechanical as second place, but in comparison i would say medical school is harder much much more memorization, remember medical school is a graduate program, you can do engineering in undergrad, let me know if you have any other questions

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 04:37:49 PM »
Wise field of study. Hardly hear of out of work mech engineers
U

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »
How was the studying? Same level of brutal as med school or easier?

Before I did my Environmental engineering, I did Civil engineering for a year and a half (shudders involuntarily), during which time I did a lot of ME subjects, from Physics (which was great) to Mechanics of Materials (very dry). ME subjects aren't the easiest ones out there and you really need to understand the underlying concepts, to be able to solve the problem, as opposed to Medicine, where it's mostly memorizing and organizing the stored information in an order in your mind.

If you work hard and do well the first and 2nd year, you'll know what you want to specialize in and will do well after that, so make sure you understand the basics. Good luck.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 04:49:46 PM »
Ok here are my credentials, Bachelors in Systes Engineerin with a minor in Compute Science, Masters in Engineering Management, and now currently a PhD candidate in Industrial Engineering, I originally started off in the Mechanical Engineering program, and after a year and a half i found out about the development of the Systems Engineering program at our University I switched because I thought it was more suitable to what I wanted to do, all Engineering is pretty fucking hard, but if I had to rank them i would say Chemical Engineering and Electrical Engineering are the two hardest in the field with Mechanical as second place, but in comparison i would say medical school is harder much much more memorization, remember medical school is a graduate program, you can do engineering in undergrad, let me know if you have any other questions

You are not a candidate yet. A PhD candidate is someone who has passed all their qualifying exams. PhD candidates are usually students in their last years. You are a PhD student!

"Usually a person is considered a PhD candidate after they pass their qualifying exam (at which point most have finished their coursework and just need to complete their dissertation)."
X

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 04:50:32 PM »

Wow that is pretty impressive. Much props.

So I do have a couple of questions. How much would you say that raw intelligence matters in these type of studies? Obviously someone with a 150+ IQ is more likely to do better than someone with 100, but I also heard that it's more a matter of determination. That if you got the will to do well in school that's usually most of what you're going to need.

How much would you say social skills matters as an engineer? I've talked to a couple of engineers and they emphasize the importance of being able to communicate with people and sell stuff rather than designing them.

On another note, I've met a lot of stupid doctors and dentists(a lot of smart ones too of course) but most engineers seem to have certain outlook on things which makes em seem "smarter" or well versed when it comes to dealing with various things in life. Would you agree with that?
from incomplete data

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 04:53:47 PM »
Before I did my Environmental engineering, I did Civil engineering for a year and a half (shudders involuntarily), during which time I did a lot of ME subjects, from Physics (which was great) to Mechanics of Materials (very dry). ME subjects aren't the easiest ones out there and you really need to understand the underlying concepts, to be able to solve the problem, as opposed to Medicine, where it's mostly memorizing and organizing the stored information in an order in your mind.

If you work hard and do well the first and 2nd year, you'll know what you want to specialize in and will do well after that, so make sure you understand the basics. Good luck.

I've heard that too, that the mechanics of materials classes suck really bad some times. I'll do my best to understand the basics!

Thanks  8)
from incomplete data

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 04:56:18 PM »
I'm curios to know since I hopefully will be starting my studies this upcoming january.

Job prospects?

Any tips/hints?

I got my ME degree nearly 13 years ago. You'll likely be taking Calculus I, II, III, along with calculus-based physics (I took Physics I and II).

Throw in E-Math I and II, Mechanics of Materials, and Chemistry, and you have your foundation. Those are the Freshman/Sophomore classes.

As for job prospects, it depends on your location. If you live in the South, you'd better focus on HVAC-type stuff, as that's where the most use for mechanical engineers are, in this region of the country. If you do that, post-graduation, study to get your Professional Engineer (PE) license.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 04:59:10 PM »

im an industrial engineer, but knew plenty of ME's that were friends.  It's about the same as a civil / industrial / etc.  Chem E is probably your hardest engineering with Petroleum as 2nd. 

most mechanicals dbl major...with mechanical and aerospace.

as far as comparing it to med school, how would an engineer know whether its harder or easier? 

i worked a few years as an engineer and now im back in school and applying to med school this coming summer or fall.  im assuming its probably about the same level of difficulty as getting an engineering degree, but who knows. 
You also think the Universe is 6000 years old and Evolution is a lie.  I don`t find you to be intelligent at all and your field is FILLED with shitbrains who think just like you.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 05:01:07 PM »
You also think the Universe is 6000 years old and Evolution is a lie.  I don`t find you to be intelligent at all and your field is FILLED with shitbrains who think just like you.

lol he does? wow

You'd think the physics classes would at least give him some kind of knowledge when it comes to the age of the universe. Oh well, he still graduated and I still appreciate his input.

Where did your college degree go, Adonis?
from incomplete data

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 05:01:16 PM »
I got my ME degree nearly 13 years ago. You'll likely be taking Calculus I, II, III, along with calculus-based physics (I took Physics I and II).

Throw in E-Math I and II, Mechanics of Materials, and Chemistry, and you have your foundation. Those are the Freshman/Sophomore classes.

As for job prospects, it depends on your location. If you live in the South, you'd better focus on HVAC-type stuff, as that's where the most use for mechanical engineers are, in this region of the country. If you do that, post-graduation, study to get your Professional Engineer (PE) license.

You are another case where you believe the Magical Dead Zombie in the Sky is watching your every move and that you can speak to it.  WHAT THE FUCK is WRONG with you Engineer Shit-Brains.  Its rampant amongst your kind.  I find it HIGHLY amusing that the majority of you can be so easily fooled and so damn stupid.  WHY??????????

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 05:03:16 PM »
Fucking morons the majority of them.  Really stupid when it comes to Science and reality.  They have a ficitious view of how the world operates.  Its really strange.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 05:05:41 PM »
Fucking morons the majority of them.  Really stupid when it comes to Science and reality.  They have a ficitious view of how the world operates.  Its really strange.

Hopefully that's mostly an issue with american engineers ???
from incomplete data

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 05:09:24 PM »
Hopefully that's mostly an issue with american engineers ???
Not really.  Lots of nasty Muslim Terrorists in the field as well.  KSM and a lot of the other terrorists as well as Osama Bin Laden`s family are filled with "Engineers".

It really appeals to Shit-Brains.

unracked

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 05:11:37 PM »
Not really.  Lots of nasty Muslim Terrorists in the field as well.  KSM and a lot of the other terrorists as well as Osama Bin Laden`s family are filled with "Engineers".

Bitter much, what would you do without your dead parents money.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 05:12:09 PM »

MECHANICAL ENGINEER

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »
Not really.  Lots of nasty Muslim Terrorists in the field as well.  KSM and a lot of the other terrorists as well as Osama Bin Laden`s family are filled with "Engineers".

lol oh really?

Where's your college degree, Adonis? What have you accomplished in the field of higher education?
from incomplete data

unracked

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 05:19:24 PM »
lol oh really?

Where's your college degree, Adonis? What have you accomplished in the field of higher studies?
He won't answer so I will, TA has accomplished nothing "in the field of higher studies."

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »
lol oh really?

Where's your college degree, Adonis? What have you accomplished in the field of higher studies?
I have two of them and have no real use for them other than plain vanity.  Also, it filled my boredom for nearly a decade.  Totally useless though as I was brilliant beforehand and like anyone with a brain, you learn the most in your own spare time.

College is a waste, but is necessary for shitbrains and those who need to kiss anus for a job.  Luckily I don`t have to do any of that EVER.  I can sit back and laugh at the rats in the rat race for as long as I want and do and learn whatever I want, whenever I want.  I basically just pursue my passions, whatever they may be.