Author Topic: Who here is a mechanical engineer or studying to become one?  (Read 15676 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Who here is a mechanical engineer or studying to become one?
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 05:24:55 PM »
I have two of them and have no real use for them other than plain vanity.  Also, it filled my boredom for nearly a decade.  Totally useless though as I was brilliant beforehand and like anyone with a brain, you learn the most in your own spare time.

College is a waste, but is necessary for shitbrains and those who need to kiss anus for a job.  Luckily I don`t have to do any of that EVER.  I can sit back and laugh at the rats in the rat race for as long as I want and do and learn whatever I want, whenever I want.  I basically just pursue my passions, whatever they may be.

What do you do now to earn money?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 05:26:33 PM »
Dividends in the stock market and I sell High Priced Luxury Goods on the side for amusment as I hand antique Leather and wood.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 05:28:02 PM »
I have two of them and have no real use for them other than plain vanity.  Also, it filled my boredom for nearly a decade.  Totally useless though as I was brilliant beforehand and like anyone with a brain, you learn the most in your own spare time.

College is a waste, but is necessary for shitbrains and those who need to kiss anus for a job.  Luckily I don`t have to do any of that EVER.  I can sit back and laugh at the rats in the rat race for as long as I want and do and learn whatever I want, whenever I want.  I basically just pursue my passions, whatever they may be.

::)
I hate the State.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 05:28:10 PM »
Dividends in the stock market and I sell High Priced Luxury Goods on the side for amusment as I hand antique Leather and wood.
Furniture? You ship to CA? Got a website I can see what's available?

PM me if you're serious.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

unracked

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 05:28:35 PM »
Oh yeah, self made, hahhahahah.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »

He inherited money. That is all.
I hate the State.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2010, 05:29:12 PM »

So what was that whole "parking tickets preventing me from going to school" thing about?
from incomplete data

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2010, 05:32:05 PM »
So what was that whole "parking tickets preventing me from going to school" thing about?

TA's educational story changes all the time. One time it was no degrees, now he has two. I do think he inherited money. I know he doesn't work and looks down on the rest of us who have to work for a living.
I hate the State.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2010, 05:50:12 PM »
I'm curios to know since I hopefully will be starting my studies this upcoming january.

How was the studying? Same level of brutal as med school or easier? I've heard that chemical engineering is pretty damn difficult and that other types of engineering can vary depending on the school etc. Did you enjoy it?

Job prospects?

Any tips/hints?

I'm an ME.  Engineering school is quite difficult, but it's one of the most worthwhile degrees you can earn.  I don't know how it compares to med school, but you won't have the same student loans to pay back down the road.  Most engineering disciplines are similar in difficulty.  Mechanical is probably the most versatile because there's so many areas to branch off into. 

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2010, 05:51:04 PM »
You are not a candidate yet. A PhD candidate is someone who has passed all their qualifying exams. PhD candidates are usually students in their last years. You are a PhD student!

"Usually a person is considered a PhD candidate after they pass their qualifying exam (at which point most have finished their coursework and just need to complete their dissertation)."
SF you are right, I am still a PhD student, actually I have to take the qualifying exam THEN the candidacy exam, then I will be considered a PhD candidate, sorry, got ahead of myself there , I AM A PHD STUDENT, thats one of the things that bug me about the PhD program , lots of fucking exams when I already have my research topic and two degrees already under my belt.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
I'm an ME.  Engineering school is quite difficult, but it's one of the most worthwhile degrees you can earn.  I don't know how it compares to med school, but you won't have the same student loans to pay back down the road.  Most engineering disciplines are similar in difficulty.  Mechanical is probably the most versatile because there's so many areas to branch off into. 

That's probably my main reason for doing ME, just because there are so many potential career alternatives. Not quite sure yet what I want to get in to but probably industrial stuff.

Thanks!
from incomplete data

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »
Wow that is pretty impressive. Much props.

So I do have a couple of questions. How much would you say that raw intelligence matters in these type of studies? Obviously someone with a 150+ IQ is more likely to do better than someone with 100, but I also heard that it's more a matter of determination. That if you got the will to do well in school that's usually most of what you're going to need.

How much would you say social skills matters as an engineer? I've talked to a couple of engineers and they emphasize the importance of being able to communicate with people and sell stuff rather than designing them.

On another note, I've met a lot of stupid doctors and dentists(a lot of smart ones too of course) but most engineers seem to have certain outlook on things which makes em seem "smarter" or well versed when it comes to dealing with various things in life. Would you agree with that?
Love monkey, not sure about raw intelligence, it helps of course but I never considered myself all that intelligent really but managed to get through lol, now compare that to my dad who i see as very intelligent he graduated first in his class undergrad, masters, and phd in mechanical engineering at UCLA and then started his own successful business but he also has excellent social skills, but to be honest most of the engineers i met during undergrad and masters had Zero social skills, i think this field really requires determination its tough but its all material that you can learn, not one of these things that you either know it or not, in undergrad hallf way through i was really struggling hating the material and nearly transferred to another field who woulda known that i would later get a masters and go after a phd too, if you woulda asked me in undergrad if i woulda studied MORE engineering i woulda said no way, i hated it but now i am glad i stuck it out, good luck to you!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2010, 06:08:01 PM »
Love monkey, not sure about raw intelligence, it helps of course but I never considered myself all that intelligent really but managed to get through lol, now compare that to my dad who i see as very intelligent he graduated first in his class undergrad, masters, and phd in mechanical engineering at UCLA and then started his own successful business but he also has excellent social skills, but to be honest most of the engineers i met during undergrad and masters had Zero social skills, i think this field really requires determination its tough but its all material that you can learn, not one of these things that you either know it or not, in undergrad hallf way through i was really struggling hating the material and nearly transferred to another field who woulda known that i would later get a masters and go after a phd too, if you woulda asked me in undergrad if i woulda studied MORE engineering i woulda said no way, i hated it but now i am glad i stuck it out, good luck to you!

Doing my MSc at Imperial College, I notice how the engineers are; the foreign ones can barely string an English sentence together and the English ones, well, they forgot their tongue at home.
I hate the State.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2010, 06:14:51 PM »

That's cool. So you come from a family of well educated people? Did that influence your studying/career path?

None of my parents have any sort of higher education although we have a couple of relatives that are engineers and lawyers etc. I just never felt the urge/pressure to start studying until fairly recently and I hope I can keep the motivation throughout the next upcoming years. All I know is that if I don't give it a shot while I'm still young I KNOW that I will regret it later and keep thinking "What if?".

I do have an interest for technical stuff and theoretical physics but my main concern is the mathematical skills required to get a degree in this sort of stuff. I'm hoping that if I put my mind into it I'll get better. Not saying I was exceptionally bad at math in high school, just that I never paid much attention to it or found it interesting. But I think I'm a different person now. Hopefully. I didn't have a goal back then but I do now.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
from incomplete data

DPump

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 06:16:56 PM »
Get ready for A LOT of math-   some say as much as a math degree

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 06:19:10 PM »

Your father was Old School; these days engineers just need to figure out the equations; speaking and interacting with other human beings is rather low on their list of skills.
I hate the State.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 06:46:46 PM »
TA's educational story changes all the time. One time it was no degrees, now he has two. I do think he inherited money. I know he doesn't work and looks down on the rest of us who have to work for a living.
Nothing has ever changed.  I think you suffer from severe ADHD as well as acute jealousy.  I don`t look down upon you for working, I just think you will realize that you will have wasted most of your life for no really great reason.  Of course you could always think differently, but most people when they get older, they wish they had more free time or had used the time they had much differently.  Don`t let that happen to you.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 06:50:41 PM »
I still owe nearly 1000 dollars I think in parking fines (could be a few hundred, no idea as I don`t care to check).  Who knows and I don`t care.  They are not getting a red cent from me and they cannot do a thing since I never took a dime in student loans.  I paid tuition free and clear each semester.

Fuck them.  

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2010, 06:52:27 PM »
I have many leather bound books...
No doubt about it...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »
Nothing has ever changed.  I think you suffer from severe ADHD as well as acute jealousy.  I don`t look down upon you for working, I just think you will realize that you will have wasted most of your life for no really great reason.  Of course you could always think differently, but most people when they get older, they wish they had more free time or had used the time they had much differently.  Don`t let that happen to you.

Well, apparently you don't get that most of us have to work to survive. There isn't a choice. It is work or go under. If you don't get that, you live in lala land.
I hate the State.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2010, 06:54:04 PM »
I still owe nearly 1000 dollars I think in parking fines (could be a few hundred, no idea as I don`t care to check).  Who knows and I don`t care.  They are not getting a red cent from me and they cannot do a thing since I never took a dime in student loans.  I paid tuition free and clear each semester.

Fuck them.  

Ok, that sucks. What are your two degrees if I may ask? Just curious.
from incomplete data

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2010, 06:55:04 PM »
Doing my MSc at Imperial College, I notice how the engineers are; the foreign ones can barely string an English sentence together and the English ones, well, they forgot their tongue at home.
They all also left basic Science at home.  They are some of the most irrational , religious minded lunatics you will ever meet.  Look how many on this thread are Religious Shit-Brains yet "Engineers".  This field of study has one of the highest levels of religiosity of any type of study.  Look it up.

Tons of ignorant Christians and especially tons of Ignorant Muslims.  Flies to shit or shit to Flies however you want to state it.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2010, 06:56:02 PM »
Ok, that sucks. What are your two degrees if I may ask? Just curious.
Political Science and Biology.  Nothing special at all.  Jezebelle has two also in Art and Geography.  She does not "use" them either (not that anyone ever really does in the first place. What is there to "use")

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »
Political Science and Biology.  Nothing special at all.  Jezebelle has two also in Art and Geography.  She does not "use" them either (not that anyone ever really does in the first place. What is there to "use")

not much need for a diploma to work the drive thru window at burger king, eh stud?
b

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »
not much need for a diploma to work the drive thru window at burger king, eh stud?
I`d say that working at Burger King is probably much more difficult and useful to society than working as an Engineer.  Most Enginners will just go on to either plot against America by joining Al-Qaeda, Hezbollah or what have you, or they will just sit in an office and continue to be a Science Denying SHITBRAINS.