Author Topic: What is the most reputable personal training certification?  (Read 23865 times)

Nomad_Warrior

• Getbig II
What is the most reputable personal training certification?
« on: October 25, 2010, 12:36:04 AM »
I'm considering becoming a certified trainer to make some money part time.   I already train/help lots of people for free just because I'm in the gym a lot and I like helping others.  I figure I might as well make some money from it.  I know that a lot of Personal Training Certificates that you can find online are a big joke.  I already know most of this shit through years of experience and trial and error.  Which Personal Training Certification is the most respected/ most marketable.  (NASM) (ACE) (ACSM) (NSCA) there are so many.  If I'm going to invest the time and money to get certified I'd like it to hold the highest quatity certification and get something usefull out of the training course.  So which is it?

I'm sure that comedic remarks such as, "Ask Goodrum" as well as personal insults are inevitable, this is Getbig and they will be appreciated, however I am looking for some real advice here too.

Thanks

the anabolic mon

• Getbig III
Re: What is the most reputable personal training certification?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:14:05 AM »
If you do this, work for a big chain (Bally's, Lifestyle) and get their in house certs and use their LIABILITY insurance. Don't risk or waste your own money  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 03:15:16 AM »
You beat me to it.
 ;)

Find out if the facility or facilities you intend to train out of have any requirements/preferences.

Most average clientele doesn’t know the difference between various certifications, and I have yet to hear a soccer mom or intramural athlete ask a potential trainer if his/her cert is with ISSA or ACE, etc.
To those people, one is just as good as the other.

I would investigate insurance/liability matters and find out what kind of recourse you have should something bad happen.
This could vary depending on whether you're considered a gym employee or an independent contractor.

jeffmscscs

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:45:03 AM »
Prior to getting certified, make sure that you can get appropriate insurance with that particular certification. In order to train legally, one does not need to be certified but they can be sued and screwed if they do not have appropriate insurance. (no licensure or government regulation in the fitness industry) Certification can help increase your confidence and competence to train others.  If you do dedide to ever train outside of a gym setting, make sure that you have competent marketing, selling and business skills. 

After much research, we at the Home Fitness Professionals Association believe the following to be the most credible certifications.

AAPTE-Academy of Applied Personal Training Education⇔ACE-American Council on Exercise ⇔ ACSM-American College of Sports Medicine ⇔ CI-The Cooper Institute ⇔ IFPA-International Fitness Professionals Association ⇔ NASM-National Academy of Sports Medicine ⇔ NCSF-National Council on Strength and Fitness ⇔ NESTA-The National Exercise and Sports Trainers Association ⇔ NETA-National Exercise Trainers Association ⇔NFPT-National Federation of Professional Trainers ⇔ NSCA-National Strength and Conditioning Association ⇔ ISSA-International Sports Sciences Association ⇔ PROPTA-Private Trainers Association 

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »
Excellent suggestions from JeffM. I have a personal bias towards ACSM and NSCA.But pick the one that might fill your career needs. Any good course of study will demand time on anyone's part.  A background of hands on experience in  physical and rehab centers can help a lot. First option would be an  sports medicine/sports exercise college course. I was lucky enough have an opportunity for this while attending school on a four year athletic scholarship. But a PT is only as good as his intellect, training and experience takes them. Some are really, really bad at that profession. Seem to all wind up at some commercial chain of gyms. Good Luck.
F

the anabolic mon

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 02:54:52 AM »
You beat me to it.
 ;)

Find out if the facility or facilities you intend to train out of have any requirements/preferences.

Most average clientele doesn’t know the difference between various certifications, and I have yet to hear a soccer mom or intramural athlete ask a potential trainer if his/her cert is with ISSA or ACE, etc.
To those people, one is just as good as the other.

I would investigate insurance/liability matters and find out what kind of recourse you have should something bad happen.
This could vary depending on whether you're considered a gym employee or an independent contractor.

Absolutely. In some states such as Florida, there is no required training to label yourself as a personal trainer. Research before you spend any money.

Nomad_Warrior

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 04:30:26 AM »
Thanks for all the solid tips guys.  I was considering getting the NASM certificate.  It's $500 including all the books, materials, and test registration.  Apparently it is one of the most respects certs.  And it looks like I could actually learn a thing or two from the training as well.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 10:21:27 AM »
Thanks for all the solid tips guys.  I was considering getting the NASM certificate.  It's $500 including all the books, materials, and test registration.  Apparently it is one of the most respects certs.  And it looks like I could actually learn a thing or two from the training as well.
In my experience the one that is most desirable from gym to gym is NASM, I was cert'd by ACIM which is now ACSM when I was a trainer but they still wanted me to get cert'd by NASM.

24 hour from what i can tell prefers NASM as well

dawakaman

• Getbig III
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 03:53:53 PM »
I'd say NASM, i just got my certificate from them in september and I have to say it's very good. I learned alot, and now I know I have to learn a whole lot more, but that's the beauty of it...

Goodluck!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 09:44:50 PM »
AAPTE> every other certification

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 05:55:17 PM »
Dave Palumbo's  ;D

ACSM-- or better yet, a degree in nutrition and the kinesiology of exercise.

"in house" training is cool if youre just starting out. You may not like the business. It may not pay. You may have a tough time fighting for clientele.

It all depends. I run my own business and have my floor trainers. I do all the consultations and nutritional discussions, seminars. It depends what you like and what you want.

Personal training aint all its cracked up to be and most of the big chains don't pay shit these days.

Going into business for yourself is very lucrative, but you have to have many different skills. Communication skills, sales skills, "People" skills, tact, diplomacy... and then reputation. Build a name for yourself.

I got to the point of where I had a waiting list and I would only accept people that I thought I could tolerate for a substantial period of time.

PT can suck ass too...

Get your feet wet with an "in-house" cert if possible. Don't waste $$$$$$$ until you figure out whether or not you can handle all the drama that goes hand-in-hand with PT.

Oh yeah... "good luck!"

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 12:34:06 AM »
This was posted in October...

I replied in November... how did this thread make it back to the first page in January of 2011????

I guess this forum is just experiencing a low metabolism...