Author Topic: Lanny Poffo & Hulk Hogan address the Macho Man/Stephanie rumors (2010):  (Read 10854 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Lanny Poffo & Hulk Hogan address the Macho Man/Stephanie rumors (2010):
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 07:05:08 AM »
Tully Blanchard hit the nail on the head when he said in a shoot interview, "IF you want to start a riot in any southern arena, beat up on Dusty, Magnum T.A. or the Rock'n'roll Express and watch what happens.

They could never evoke that kind of emotion with anything they do now.
Certain aspects of the performance are lost forever.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 07:24:01 AM »
I was just reading through parts of Bret’s book again while I have a few more days off.
He writes about the time during which Hogan and a bunch of other of Vince’s talent was jumping to WCW.
In the months/years leading up to this, management (Vince) wasn’t giving Savage anything of substance to do.

When you’re a great worker as Savage was, this kind/lack of treatment is disheartening and can often make you question if you’re at the end of the line and being put out to pasture.
To compound Randy’s anxiety, this was also around the time Liz flew the coup, and Bret mentions that Macho was devastated.

Anyway, according to Bret:

“Lanza told me how Randy called Vince at four in the morning, drunk, to tell him he‘d signed: ‘Randy never even gave Vince a chance to make him a counteroffer.’ I found Vince in his office, and I could see he was shaken.”

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 01:21:39 PM »
I was just reading through parts of Bret’s book again while I have a few more days off.
He writes about the time during which Hogan and a bunch of other of Vince’s talent was jumping to WCW.
In the months/years leading up to this, management (Vince) wasn’t giving Savage anything of substance to do.

When you’re a great worker as Savage was, this kind/lack of treatment is disheartening and can often make you question if you’re at the end of the line and being put out to pasture.
To compound Randy’s anxiety, this was also around the time Liz flew the coup, and Bret mentions that Macho was devastated.

Anyway, according to Bret:

At the end, money talks and BS walks. Savage scored two three year deals worth 2 million per year while keeping his slim jim earnings. In the end, Savage wins and Vince's promotion loses. Why? Because of an ignorant tyrant of a promoter who wouldn't give Savage with credit where it was due.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 01:33:04 PM »
I never "got" him either. Maybe it really was a regional thing. Man, he could talk, but not much else. Hogan wasn't all that great in the ring during his peak, but he had an amazing look. Maybe Show can elaborate.

Sorry I missed this in the thread. 

As you guys have already said, the two biggest things that got Dusty over was his appeal to "the common man" which was the vast majority of the audience during that time period....and two, the hatred for those who worked with.  Florida was a prime example before the Horseman stuff.  Whether it was Kevin Sullivan as a satanist or protecting Gordon Solie, Dusty was always the good guy.

I will say that a couple of things that get overlooked with "the Dream" are he actually had a pretty good workrate.  Now he wasn't HBK or anything, but he didn't blow-up ala Konnan after 1 minute either.....and Dusty could bleed with the best of them.

His ability to talk certainly helped.....and last but not least.....Dusty f'n understood how to tell a story, whether it be thru a promo or during a match.  He paid his dues and wrestled all over the world.  VERY few had the ring psychology that Dusty did.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 04:44:40 PM »
At the end, money talks and BS walks. Savage scored two three year deals worth 2 million per year while keeping his slim jim earnings. In the end, Savage wins and Vince's promotion loses. Why? Because of an ignorant tyrant of a promoter who wouldn't give Savage with credit where it was due.
Why he insisted on making him an announcer when, 1.he wasn't very good at it 2.he could still work at a high level is beyond me. The guy busted his ass for a decade and how do you repay him? By sitting him next to Rob Bartlett, announcing a Max Moon match? I'd leave too. lol

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 04:40:16 AM »
Why he insisted on making him an announcer when, 1.he wasn't very good at it 2.he could still work at a high level is beyond me. The guy busted his ass for a decade and how do you repay him? By sitting him next to Rob Bartlett, announcing a Max Moon match? I'd leave too. lol
Nice isn't it? I don't blame him one bit for bailing and going elsewhere.