Author Topic: Bush on waterboarding: 'Damn right'  (Read 2214 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Bush on waterboarding: 'Damn right'
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »
Obama no doubt has a desire to see the America as we know it scrapped into the pit of history, he really makes no bones about it. Bush, I don't think anyone could make a case that says he wants to see the America as we know it tossed aside, did he have some other personal interest? I don't know, maybe some, probably, most would on some level but I really do believe he did what he thought was best to preserve American liberty but definitely made mistakes along the way.

I'm looking forward to Bush's interview this Tuesday night. If I'm not mistaken, this will be his firs major interview since he left office.
ive never read the book of a politician before and if you told me a year ago I was contemplating reading a book by bush jr I think I would have spit in your face but Im actually considering reading this book.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 09:20:09 PM »
ive never read the book of a politician before and if you told me a year ago I was contemplating reading a book by bush jr I think I would have spit in your face but Im actually considering reading this book.

I'm probably going to read this one too. It sounds like it may indeed have some substance to it.

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 09:22:07 PM »
Obama no doubt has a desire to see the America as we know it scrapped into the pit of history, he really makes no bones about it. Bush, I don't think anyone could make a case that says he wants to see the America as we know it tossed aside, did he have some other personal interest? I don't know, maybe some, probably, most would on some level but I really do believe he did what he thought was best to preserve American liberty but definitely made mistakes along the way.

I'm looking forward to Bush's interview this Tuesday night. If I'm not mistaken, this will be his firs major interview since he left office.

You're one of the only guys here who haven't attacked my views, and who've gone back and forth (in a friendly way) long enough to find common ground..

Thank you  8)
TEAM LAURA LEE!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »

You're a laughable right-wing douche bag. With the mess Bush left Obama, the case could easily be made that Dubya was hell bent on destroying America. He left the coutry with huge debt, two mismanaged wars, a disaster in New Orleans, and a financial meltdown of epic proportions on Wall Street. Yeah, he showed his "love of country," alright.  ::)

You guys can spin your hero Bush all you want now that he's been out of office two years. But he is still the WORST PRESIDENT IN AMERICAN HISTORY. An unmitigated disaster. PEPFAR was about the only thing Dubya did to spare a complete blight on the Bush family name. But Dubya definitely ruined Jeb's chances to sit in the Oval Office one day.
!

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »
You're a laughable right-wing douche bag. With the mess Bush left Obama, the case could easily be made that Dubya was hell bent on destroying America. He left the coutry with huge debt, two mismanaged wars, a disaster in New Orleans, and a financial meltdown of epic proportions on Wall Street. Yeah, he showed his "love of country," alright.  ::)

You guys can spin your hero Bush all you want now that he's been out of office two years. But he is still the WORST PRESIDENT IN AMERICAN HISTORY. An unmitigated disaster. PEPFAR was about the only thing Dubya did to spare a complete blight on the Bush family name. But Dubya definitely ruined Jeb's chances to sit in the Oval Office one day.
TEAM LAURA LEE!

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 09:47:33 PM »

Everything you mentioned, every last thing was caused by a weak stomached left-wing progressive corrupt congress.
Even the management of the war, a war approved by congress, it was the progressive weakness that has never allowed us to simply go in there and carpet bomb the areas we need to. Both wars could have been fought and ended swiftly if the Bush's hands had been untied.

You can point the same direction with all those others things you listed...the war one though just happens to be the one that irritates me the most. Well, that and the New Orleans one, really, that was Bush's fault...oh yeah, I forgot, he blew the levies up because he likes seeing floods.

BTW, since I see you have the ability to type, take your progressively warped mind over to the thread with your name on it and pontificate a response to blow my britches off. Stand on your on two feet or are you going to allow me to call you out, call you a fool and just stand their and take it like beaten down bitch?

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=353608.0

I await brilliance and insight.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 09:53:08 PM »
Everything you mentioned, every last thing was caused by a weak stomached left-wing progressive corrupt congress.
Even the management of the war, a war approved by congress, it was the progressive weakness that has never allowed us to simply go in there and carpet bomb the areas we need to. Both wars could have been fought and ended swiftly if the Bush's hands had been untied.

You can point the same direction with all those others things you listed...the war one though just happens to be the one that irritates me the most. Well, that and the New Orleans one, really, that was Bush's fault...oh yeah, I forgot, he blew the levies up because he likes seeing floods.

BTW, since I see you have the ability to type, take your progressively warped mind over to the thread with your name on it and pontificate a response to blow my britches off. Stand on your on two feet or are you going to allow me to call you out, call you a fool and just stand their and take it like beaten down bitch?

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=353608.0

I await brilliance and insight.

I wouldn't blame Congress for mismanaging the war.  The buck stops with Bush in that regard.  He had an incompetent Defense Secretary and didn't listen to Shinseki about the size of the force needed to invade and occupy Iraq.  I agreed with the decision to invade, but he really did not manage the war properly, at least initially. 

Cohibia

• Getbig II
  • SucMyKockBeechScum!
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 05:37:01 AM »
Go George!   :)

Bush on waterboarding: 'Damn right'
November 5, 2010

Washington (CNN) -- Former President George W. Bush has stayed out of politics since he left the White House and, except for his own career, he largely keeps the subject at arm's length in his new memoir, "Decision Points."

In an interview with Oprah Winfrey to air on Tuesday when the book is to be released, Bush said he is "through with politics" and refused to offer an opinion on the 2012 presidential election.

"I am not a political pundit. I'm really not," Bush said. "A lot is gonna happen between now and the nominating process."

He also passes on commenting on President Obama, saying he wants to treat his successor the way, "I'd like to have been treated."

"I don't think it's good for a former president to be out there opining on every darned issue," Bush told Winfrey. "He's got a plenty tough job. Trust me. And there's gonna be plenty of critics and he doesn't need me criticizing him."

In the 481-page book Bush compliments Obama's political skills during a meeting before the 2008 election as the financial crisis was coming to a head. He also criticizes the performance of his party's nominee, John McCain, in the same meeting.

He criticizes Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid for the failure of his efforts to reform immigration laws in 2006.

Bush takes responsibility for giving the go-ahead for waterboarding terror suspects, which has touched off a new round of criticism of Bush and calls for his prosecution. He says that he did decide not to use two more extreme interrogation methods, but did not disclose what those were.

"CIA experts drew up a list of interrogation techniques. ... At my direction, Department of Justice and CIA lawyers conducted a careful legal review. The enhanced interrogation program complied with the Constitution and all applicable laws, including those that ban torture.

"There were two that I felt went too far, even if they were legal. I directed the CIA not to use them. Another technique was waterboarding, a process of simulated drowning. No doubt the procedure was tough, but medical experts assured the CIA that it did no lasting harm."

Though Bush confirms that he knew the use of waterboarding would one day become public, and acknowledges that it is "sensitive and controversial," he asserts that "the choice between security and values was real," and expresses firm confidence in his decision. "Had I not authorized waterboarding on senior al Qaeda leaders, I would have had to accept a greater risk that the country would be attacked. In the wake of 9/11, that was a risk I was unwilling to take," he writes.

Bush further declares that the new techniques proved effective, yielding information on al Qaeda's structure and operations, and leading to the capture of Ramzi bin al Shibh, the logistical planner of the 9/11 attacks who was captured on the first anniversary of 9/11.

And if there were any lingering doubts or conflict about the use of waterboarding, Bush discloses that he received reassurance from an unlikely source: terror suspect Abu Zubaydah.

The former president writes, "His understanding of Islam was that he had to resist interrogation only up to a certain point. Waterboarding was the technique that allowed him to reach that threshold, fulfill his religious duty, and then cooperate." Bush elaborates that Zubaydah gave him a direct instruction, "'You must do this for all the brothers.'"
Intelligence gleaned from interrogations of Abu Zubaydah and other suspects led to the capture of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, Bush writes. During a raid on Mohammed's compound, agents discovered more plans for terrorist attacks on U.S. soil.

Prompted by the discoveries, Director of Central Intelligence George Tenet asked if he had permission to use enhanced interrogation techniques including waterboarding on Mohammed.

Bush exposes his inner thoughts on what led him to reach this decision: "I thought about my meeting with Danny Pearl's widow, who was pregnant with his son when he was murdered. I thought about the 2,971 people stolen from their families by al Qaeda on 9/11. And I thought about my duty to protect my country from another act of terror.
'Damn right,' I said."

. . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/05/bush.book/index.html

Torture is cool. Drown all Muslims!  8)
FUBEECHSCUMBAG!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 06:17:58 AM »
I wouldn't blame Congress for mismanaging the war.  The buck stops with Bush in that regard.  He had an incompetent Defense Secretary and didn't listen to Shinseki about the size of the force needed to invade and occupy Iraq.  I agreed with the decision to invade, but he really did not manage the war properly, at least initially. 

During the Gulf War, his dad set the perfect example of how a Pres should "run a war."  Just have great generals in place and give them exactly what they ask for.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 06:34:32 AM »
To me, to willingly and knowingly allow thousands or tens of thousands of fellow americans to be killed solely because you dont want to pour water of over someones' head is not only immoral, but pure evil and sadistic. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2010, 06:56:49 AM »
To me, to willingly and knowingly allow thousands or tens of thousands of fellow americans to be killed solely because you dont want to pour water of over someones' head is not only immoral, but pure evil and sadistic. 

Completely agree......if these bunch of pansies were around for WWII, we would be speaking German right now.....or Japanese.....

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 07:47:50 AM »

Nope.  Rumsfeld was far worse than Congress ever was.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 11:32:06 AM »
The fact remains, blame lies within congress more than anyone else...the president does not have the "War Power" so many people seem to think he has. Commander & Chief of the military, of course but it's more of a symbolic title than anything else.

Lets remember how all of this started, congress passed House Joint Resolution 114 in 2002, that's how this started, congress is who declared war, it was their resolution that said Iraq had WMD's, that they posed a threat to the U.S. it was congress that said Iraq was harboring terrorist and that AlQaida was in Iraq, it was congress that decided it was up to the U.S. to enforce U.N. resolutions.

Congress is to blame for more of the debacle, including super stars such as Lord Obama.
If their is major criticism against the war for the lack of WMD's found, blame congress, they're the ones who started the screaming.
The president is merely one part, one arm if you will of the government, congress holds far more power as an entity than the white house...at least its supposed to, the current white house seems to be gobbling up power like a roided out pac-man.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »

Wow, after all this time, you still do, damn...that's impressive.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2010, 11:40:41 AM »
The fact remains, blame lies within congress more than anyone else...the president does not have the "War Power" so many people seem to think he has. Commander & Chief of the military, of course but it's more of a symbolic title than anything else.

Lets remember how all of this started, congress passed House Joint Resolution 114 in 2002, that's how this started, congress is who declared war, it was their resolution that said Iraq had WMD's, that they posed a threat to the U.S. it was congress that said Iraq was harboring terrorist and that AlQaida was in Iraq, it was congress that decided it was up to the U.S. to enforce U.N. resolutions.

Congress is to blame for more of the debacle, including super stars such as Lord Obama.
If their is major criticism against the war for the lack of WMD's found, blame congress, they're the ones who started the screaming.
The president is merely one part, one arm if you will of the government, congress holds far more power as an entity than the white house...at least its supposed to, the current white house seems to be gobbling up power like a roided out pac-man.

Arnold I think we're talking about two different things.  I agree Congress is equally responsible with the president for the decision to invade and enforce UN resolutions.  Where I don't think Congress has responsibility is with strategy.  That's the CIC's job.  Congress didn't decide the size of the force, etc.  Bush did (or least endorsed Rumsfeld's decision). 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2010, 11:41:47 AM »
During the Gulf War, his dad set the perfect example of how a Pres should "run a war."  Just have great generals in place and give them exactly what they ask for.

True.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 11:42:17 AM »
Wow, after all this time, you still do, damn...that's impressive.

I do and it has been beaten to death on the board. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2010, 03:02:52 PM »
Bush writes of anger, resolve after Sept. 11 attacks
By the CNN Wire Staff
November 7, 2010

Bush with bullhorn and New York firefighter Bob Beckwith. The 9/11 attacks made his presidency's purpose clear, he writes.

(CNN) -- The terrorist attacks on America on September 11, 2001, gave his administration a clear goal and him the resolve to find out who was responsible and "kick their ass," former President George W. Bush writes in his new book.

In "Decision Points," Bush describes his reaction when his then-National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice informed him of the crash of a third airplane into the Pentagon.

"I sat back in my seat and absorbed her words. My thoughts clarified: The first plane could have been an accident. The second was definitely an attack. The third was a declaration of war," the former president writes in his 481-page book, which goes on sale Tuesday.

"My blood was boiling. We were going to find out who did this, and kick their ass," Bush writes.

"In a single morning, the purpose of my presidency had grown clear: to protect our people and defend our freedom that had come under attack."

CNN on Friday obtained a copy of the book, being released by Crown Publishers.

In the book, Bush also recounts the government response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

He calls the response "not only flawed" but "unacceptable," and describes his own failures in this way: "As the leader of the federal government, I should have recognized the deficiencies sooner and intervened faster. I prided myself on my ability to make crisp and effective decisions. Yet in the days after Katrina, that didn't happen. The problem was not that I made the wrong decisions. It was that I took too long to decide."

Bush writes he also failed to "adequately communicate my concern for the victims of Katrina" -- a problem he calls one of "perception, not reality."

"Yet many of our citizens, particularly in the African-American community, came away convinced their president didn't care about them."

The former president recently told NBC's Matt Laurer that the "worst moment" of his administration was when rapper Kanye West declared during a Katrina celebrity telethon that "George Bush doesn't care about black people." West this week expressed a sympathetic view of Bush's reaction to the comment.

Bush writes the Katrina had a lasting legacy on his second term.

[The Katrina response] eroded citizens' trust in their government. It exacerbated divisions in our society and politics. And it cast a cloud over my second term.

"Just as Katrina was more than a hurricane, its impact was more than physical destruction. It eroded citizens' trust in their government. It exacerbated divisions in our society and politics. And it cast a cloud over my second term."

In "Decision Points," Bush also details how he came to utter those infamous words "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job" about Michael Brown, the FEMA chief who was leading the government's response to Katrina in the days immediately following the storm.

Bush writes that he was in Mobile, Alabama, meeting with the Alabama and Mississippi governors and asked them if they were getting adequate federal support. "'That Mike Brown is doing a heck of a job,' Bob said," referring to Alabama governor Bob Riley. "I knew Mike was under pressure and I wanted to boost his morale," Bush writes, so he repeated Riley's words a few minutes later when he spoke to the press.
"I never imagined those words of encouragement would become an infamous entry in the political lexicon. As complaints about Mike Brown's performance mounted, especially in New Orleans, critics turned my words of encouragement into a club to bludgeon me."

The former FEMA head, who resigned two weeks after the compliment, told CNN in August that he winced when Bush uttered the line.

"I knew the minute he said that, the media and everybody else would see a disconnect between what he was saying and what I was witnessing on the ground," Brown said. "That's the president's style. His attitude and demeanor is always one of being a cheerleader and trying to encourage people to keep moving. It was just the wrong time and the wrong place."

Bush in recent years has talked about his past problems with alcohol abuse and his 1986 decision to give up drinking completely.

Just days before the 2000 presidential election, news broke that Bush had been arrested for driving under the influence in Maine in 1976. In his memoir, Bush writes, "Not disclosing the DUI on my terms may have been the single costliest political mistake I ever made."

He says he had decided against doing so because he didn't want to undermine his admonitions to his daughters about drinking and driving.

After the news came out -- so close to election day, Bush writes, he went to bed that night on the campaign trail thinking, "I may have just cost myself the presidency."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/06/bush.book/index.html?hpt=T2

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »
Your headling illustrates what we're all thinking here, beach...

it's not very professional of bush to completely ignore detailed warnings of 911 use that kind of foul language.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2010, 03:41:52 PM »
Your headling illustrates what we're all thinking here, beach...

it's not very professional of bush to completely ignore detailed warnings of 911 use that kind of foul language.

WTH dude.  Ron gave you guys and gals your own GODDAMN BOARD!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2010, 03:55:40 PM »

WTH dude.  Ron gave you guys your own GODDAMN BOARD!!

"you guys"?

Sexist post reported.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2010, 04:32:51 PM »
"you guys"?

Sexist post reported.

Thanks narc 240.  Post corrected.