Author Topic: what does it mean when I'm training and my pump goes away?  (Read 13231 times)

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
what does it mean when I'm training and my pump goes away?
« on: August 02, 2005, 09:48:23 PM »
Does that mean I trained that muscle adequately? Because I was training chest today and after 9 sets my pump started to go away. I continued to do my 12 anyway.
~

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: what does it mean when I'm training and my pump goes away?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 08:59:22 AM »
That would mean that you don't have to do any more exercise for that area because the area is already flooded with blood (pump).. As with trying to get more water into a glass that's alreay full, you'll just have a run off. I bet you could get just as much stimulation of the muscle and increased blood flow into the muscle (pump) with six set's anyway. Think about it. Good Luck.

reichsfuehrer SS

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 09:24:19 AM »
how old are you figgs?

Bouldershoulders

• Getbig II
  • Invinsible!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 02:11:28 AM »
how long have u been body building?
Lift To The Sky

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 09:14:36 AM »
Man oh man. I'm going down to 6-9 sets. That seems soo little after coming down from 15-20.

Mirz I'm 17.

I have been bodybuilding for 4 months I guess and weightlifting for maybe 7 months but on a reduced calorie diet.

Thanks.

I'm going to follow the book Bodybuilding 101's intermediate training routine, which is low volume. Well, here's how it goes:

Chest, back shoulders, quads-8 sets
Triceps, biceps, abs, hams, calves, forearms-6-7 sets

Do you think I'll ever have to add more sets in the future?
~

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 04:18:09 PM »
figgs.

As long as you don't overtrain, or injure yourself in the gym, you're going to do ok.

You are very eager to learn about the best ways to train, and I fully respect that. I suggest you use this energy of yours to learn about the basics too.

Learn the basics about muscle cell structure, protein synthesis, the basic sports biology. If there's a big book store in your area, go there and ask for easy-to-read literature on sports biology.

Do the same thing with sports nutrition. Learn the basics, which means amino acids, vitamins and minerals, and different kinds of things related to them.

It will open your eye.

And again, as long as you train without overtraining, and avoid getting injured, you will have at least reasonable progress.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 10:11:23 PM »
Thanks for the great advice. As you see I do take all advice seriously and I will do as you recommend. The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding contains the science and workings of muscle, weight training's effects on muscle, etc. I'll read up on it tomorrow. I also have Franco Columbo's book, The Bodybuilder's Nutrition Book. I'll read that as well. I never really took that book seriously because the given diets looked so stupid. So small for a heavy lifter. But I'll read it anyway.
~

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 02:41:11 PM »
Thanks for the great advice. As you see I do take all advice seriously and I will do as you recommend. The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding contains the science and workings of muscle, weight training's effects on muscle, etc. I'll read up on it tomorrow. I also have Franco Columbo's book, The Bodybuilder's Nutrition Book. I'll read that as well. I never really took that book seriously because the given diets looked so stupid. So small for a heavy lifter. But I'll read it anyway.

Neither Franco or Arnold would be my recommended first reads.

A solid nutrition book is Nutrition in Sport
edited by Ronald J. Maughan

It's the first book to get, when getting a little more serious about nutrition IMO.

You can probably order it through Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

The book covers the basics when it comes to biochemistry during excersise and shit like that. Great read for everyone IMO.

Maughan's book is a good start.

What you should aim for right now, is to understand not only to use creatine, but why creatine is good, and what reactions happens when creatine is supplemented. Same thing with protein. Once you start read about the protein synthesis, my bet is that you will have a different approach to protein intake.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 09:21:11 PM »

A solid nutrition book is Nutrition in Sport
edited by Ronald J. Maughan

Zack, thats a $200 book :o

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 09:34:04 PM »
Lol fuck man I don't have $200. I'll definetely see if the library has it though. If not I'll ask the librarian if they have anything related.

Also, are you telling me to consider creatine or are you using it as an example. Because I read creatine contributes up to 3% of muscle growth and I don't have the money to spend on such a small contribution to my training.
~

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 01:51:06 AM »
Lol f**k man I don't have $200. I'll definetely see if the library has it though. If not I'll ask the librarian if they have anything related.

Also, are you telling me to consider creatine or are you using it as an example. Because I read creatine contributes up to 3% of muscle growth and I don't have the money to spend on such a small contribution to my training.

Didn't know it costed that much in the States. I bought mine for $80. They have it at the library though, or should have it, make them order it. It truly is a treasure.

SMALL contribution?

I'd say creatine, caffeine and baking soda may be the three legal enhancing supplements that we have extensive scientific evidence they actually work.

Creatine contributes to muscle growth? I haven't anything supporting that claim. What creatine does, is increase the muscle ATP (the fuel used by the muscles in the initial phase). If you have creatine available in the muscle, it will give up the phosphate molecule to ADP, and make some more ATP.

All this is explained in Maughan's book, and probably in Will Brink's e-book, which is a cheaper alternative.

IMO, Maughan's book is a great start on nutrition.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 02:43:08 AM »
Read less, eat more is my tip. Never seen a bookworm with a great body.
Z

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 07:28:01 AM »
You definetely caught my interest in this book.

My thing with creatine is that it seems most people only think they work. Like a placebo. And every single supplement is exagerated to such bullshit on their ads and all. I simply don't trust them.
~

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 09:39:31 PM »
Baking soda??? Thats a new one on me...how and when do u take it and what does it do???

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 06:22:06 AM »
Baking soda??? Thats a new one on me...how and when do u take it and what does it do???

Try supplement with 3-5 tea spoons (coupled with a lot of water) around 60 minutes before running a 400 meter race, and you'll see a difference in the performance. The soda helps counteract the lactic acid buildup from what I understand.

Baking soda is rumored to cause intestinal distress, abdominal discomfort, et al. I can confirm that supplementing with baking soda will cause the Dirra. So if you're a fan of spraying the bathroom, I guess baking soda is for you.

There are no anabolic properties, and bodybuilders/strength athletes have very limited use of this product IMO. But it's a supplement that does work, no shit (pun intended).

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 07:46:05 AM »
figgs in the first 7 months of lifting and your worrying about over training and changing your routine? this is why gyms and message boards are bad for new lifters. no offense.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005, 11:21:31 AM »
author=Bossa link=topic=35501.msg569554#msg569554 date=1123389571]

By David Kennedy
Baking soda: Poor man’s creatine?
Exercise scientists have studied the performance-boosting potential of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) for nearly 70 years now, with most research efforts showing some positive results. The latest, published in the August 2003 edition of Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, shows supplementation with baking soda increased the sprint performance of cyclists by a healthy 11.5 percent. It seems baking soda may help increase performance by acting as a “buffering” agent—neutralizing acid byproducts of exercise and allowing muscles to function at optimal levels for a greater period of time.

The main problem with using baking soda, however, is the stomach discomfort that may result from taking too much of the stuff. Of course, any ergogenic benefit brought about by baking soda would be nullified if you were forced to work out with a stomachache.

If you want to give baking soda a try, the research suggests experimenting with a very small dose at first (20 milligrams per pound of body weight) and gradually increasing the dose. If you start experiencing side effects like stomach pain or nausea, you might want to just pony up for some creatine.

A lot of people say it helps with DOMS too.
:

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2005, 03:53:56 PM »
Well apparently I was overtraining buffbong.
~

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2005, 10:43:40 PM »
if you do 9 sets of chest and no longer feel apump, try a differnt excercise froma different angle and see how that goes. 

if your not sore at all the next day from 9 sets of chest...do more

i dont nkow what kind of split your on, but if its one bp a day, 9 sets for a muscle like chest seems low to me.  but if you aint feelin it in the muscle,  you should probably stop

Valhalla awaits.

gfdrr

gryhry
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 02:30:18 AM »

手机铃声下载 手机铃声 铃声下载 铃声 免费铃声下载 手机铃声免费下载
手机铃声下载手机铃声 铃声下载铃声 彩信 手机铃声下载 手机铃声 铃声 免费手机铃声下载 免费下载铃声 铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声 铃声下载 铃声 免费手机铃声下载 免费铃声下载
手机铃声下载  手机铃声 铃声下载 铃声 免费手机铃声下载 免费下载铃声
手机铃声下载 手机铃声 铃声下载 铃声 免费手机铃声下载 免费下载铃声   手机铃声下载 和弦铃声 特效铃声 手机铃声下载 mp3铃声 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 铃声 手机铃声 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载
铃声 铃声 铃声  手机铃声下载手机铃声下载
 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载
铃声 彩信  铃声  铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声 铃声 铃声下载 彩信 免费铃声下载 手机铃声免费下载 免费铃声 mp3铃声
mp3铃声下载 手机图片 手机图片下载 待机图片 手机待机图片 手机彩图 手机彩图下载 免费手机铃声 三星手机铃声下载 诺基亚铃声下载
和弦铃声  手机铃声下载
手机铃声下载
手机铃声下载

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: gryhry
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 10:39:56 AM »

手机铃声下载手机铃声 铃声下载铃声 彩信 手机铃声下载 手机铃声 铃声 免费手机铃声下载 免费下载铃声 铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声 铃声下载 铃声 免费手机铃声下载 免费铃声下载
手机铃声下载 手机铃声 铃声下载 铃声 免费手机铃声下载 免费下载铃声   手机铃声下载 和弦铃声 特效铃声 手机铃声下载 mp3铃声 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 铃声 手机铃声 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载
铃声 铃声 铃声  手机铃声下载手机铃声下载
铃声 彩信  铃声  铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声 铃声 铃声下载 彩信 免费铃声下载 手机铃声免费下载 免费铃声 mp3铃声
和弦铃声  手机铃声下载
手机铃声下载
手机铃声下载

My thoughts exactly.

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 11:30:05 AM »
what are the negative effects of overtraining besides injury?
big or bust

Gary

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 12:15:39 PM »

铃声 铃声 铃声  手机铃声下载手机铃声下载
和弦铃声  手机铃声下载
手机铃声下载
手机铃声下载

That's BS right there.  It makes no difference whether you get a pump, tax the muscle completely or over tax it.  You can go in and hit chest once a week for 52 weeks in a row and get a serious pump using the same weight each workout but that's all you'll get....a pump.  And one year from now, you'll be in the same place except a bit more vascular maybe.  You should set a longer term goal than one freaking workout and whether you can get a pump and try to get there.   The idea is to ask yourself if I do one more set, will it hinder or advance my progress THE NEXT WORKOUT and that varies from soul to soul or if I increase the effort on my weakest link in the bench, ie triceps, delts or whatever, will it help me pass to the next level of the bench press.  Freakin' Figgs and your "I want it now" generation.  Research the various physiological components and step away from the training books and learn to think for yourself.  What do they teach you in school....to think or how to pass the tests.

It's not an exact science that fits so neatly in a simple to follow protocol.  This is how to get from (A) to (B).  Then when progress halts, you change the program because you are not making progress instead of trying to advance with the current program by changing the inputs; food, rest, weak link extra work, etc. 

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 05:50:57 PM »
Neither Franco or Arnold would be my recommended first reads.

I agree, never read Franco's but have Arnold's.  It's a good book for refrencing basic lifts for every body part, but as for the training and nutritional recomendations, he is way off in my mind

tom joad

• Getbig V
Re: gryhry
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2005, 09:27:24 AM »

铃声 铃声 铃声  手机铃声下载手机铃声下载
和弦铃声  手机铃声下载
手机铃声下载
手机铃声下载

i disagree with the mp3 part