Author Topic: IPF: New and fewer weight cats from next year...  (Read 3833 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
IPF: New and fewer weight cats from next year...
« on: November 10, 2010, 02:46:54 PM »
IPF is reducing the number of weight classes.

For men it means 8 classes instead of 10.

I think it's a good thing since even at the World Championships some classes have been ridiculously watered down, perhaps only four or five lifters competiting for three medals.

This will make competition tougher on all levels, both national and international.

Women: up to 43kg (Sub Junior/Junior) up to 94.8lbs.
47kg = 103.62 lbs.
52kg = 114.64 lbs.
57kg = 125.66 lbs.
63kg = 138.89 lbs.
72kg = 158.73 lbs.
84kg = 185.19 lbs.
84+kg = from 185.20 lbs. and up

Men: up to 52kg (Sub Junior/Junior) up to 114.64
58kg = 127.87
66kg = 145.51
74kg = 163,14
83kg = 182.98
93kg = 205.03
105kg = 231.49
120kg = 264.55
120+kg = 264.56 and up
As empty as paradise

w8m8

Re: IPF: New and fewer weight cats from next year...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 04:54:22 AM »
I agree that it's going to be a good thing ... the more competition in the group the better the guys/girls train for a win

makes things more interesting to watch

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:25:33 AM »
Wow! That's pretty interesting about how they lowered the cut-off for the men's superheavies. It used to be set at 308, so I can imagine that the superheavies is gonna be much more competitive.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:20:39 PM »
I completely disagree with the increased competitiveness for the SHW's.  What this is doing is its skewing the IPF towards smaller lifters.   Do you reallly think its a fair competition for a 270 lb guy to compete against alifter like me (I"m probably 335 right now)?  Its not.   This is just further proof that the IPF favors lighter lifters who dont' lift the big weights. 

This is a direct result of the "Asian influence" on the IPF AND its a slap in the face of all of the old record holders.  Its also the IPF bending over to try to get something from the IOC.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 04:10:08 PM »
A guy with 105kg competing agains a guy with 120 kg, is much more difficult... the old 110 kg was more balanced. This year I competed with 105.800 and the heaviest guy in my weight class was 108kg wich means that there wasn't any big weight differences.
S

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 02:10:43 AM »
I completely disagree with the increased competitiveness for the SHW's.  What this is doing is its skewing the IPF towards smaller lifters.   Do you reallly think its a fair competition for a 270 lb guy to compete against alifter like me (I"m probably 335 right now)?  Its not.   This is just further proof that the IPF favors lighter lifters who dont' lift the big weights. 

This is a direct result of the "Asian influence" on the IPF AND its a slap in the face of all of the old record holders.  Its also the IPF bending over to try to get something from the IOC.

At our nationals we have maybe five or six competing in the SHW.

The only weight classes that tend to be filled up are the 220 lbs and sometimes the 198 lbs.

The lightest classes are even worse.

But my point is that the SHW division isn't as loaded as you may think.

I think the cutoff point for the heavyweights could've been at 300 lbs.

But then again, with it at 264 lbs, this could perhaps force powerlifters to become better athletes in all areas.

I know my PL club are a little too familiar with "After Bench Buffet". 8)
As empty as paradise

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 04:31:43 AM »
I like the ones for the women... that puts me down to 139 which I'd prefer to be anyway!  And I shouldn't lose any strength dropping from 145.
Are these weight classes gonna be used for USAPL too? 
:)

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 10:23:41 AM »
I like the ones for the women... that puts me down to 139 which I'd prefer to be anyway!  And I shouldn't lose any strength dropping from 145.
Are these weight classes gonna be used for USAPL too? 
The USAPL is actually not adopting the new weight classes.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 04:03:23 PM »
I will never lift in the IPF. So I will just sit back and watch them play about with their silly new rules :)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 02:00:55 AM »
The USAPL is actually not adopting the new weight classes.

My guess is as good as anyone's. But it wouldn't surprise me to see USAPL change it after awhile.

It doesn't help Team USA when competing internationally to have different weight classes.

It'll be interesting to see how it'll play out.

As empty as paradise

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 07:02:44 PM »
The men's lighter classes 181 and under are only changed by a few pounds here and there, but 2 of the most competitive wt classes have made quite a jump 198 up 7 pounds, and 220 up 11 pounds. Since the IPF is pretty much the "cream of the crop" in the powerlifting world, do y'all think that the other federations will soon follow suit?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 04:57:56 AM »
The men's lighter classes 181 and under are only changed by a few pounds here and there, but 2 of the most competitive wt classes have made quite a jump 198 up 7 pounds, and 220 up 11 pounds. Since the IPF is pretty much the "cream of the crop" in the powerlifting world, do y'all think that the other federations will soon follow suit?

Your guess is as good as anyones.

From what I understand the USA affiliation USAPL won't follow suit immediatly - at least that was their knee jerk reaction following the IPF congress.
2011 will be with the old weight classes in the USAPL.

With an exception - the Arnold - the biggest US competition, is gonna go with the new weight classes. That will allow them to have World records among other things.

Whether other feds will follow suit is hard to say. I think some will. They may add an additional weight class at around 310 lbs, especially if it's an untested fed where lifters tend to get heavier, but that's just my speculation.
As empty as paradise