Author Topic: Review of Venice CA, the Bob Bowl and overall weirdness  (Read 11673 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Hey Howard,Roger Aiudi from Central City Gym in Springfield contracted Dickerson to guest pose at that show in Conn.

I was working the desk in the gym when Roger brought him in and introduced me to him...........good days!!

Remember a kid named Jeff McBride................. .teenager with an awesome build?
WOW, that is so cool, small world and yes I know of Rodger,and he seemed like a real good guy.
I think I competed in the same show as Jeff M, perhaps it was the Mr Bay State in Worcster, Mass?
He had great legs as I remember. Did Mr A ( 84-84??)Jeff King train your gym in Springfield?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Review of Venice CA, the Bob Bowl and overall weirdness
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
Bob Bowl is still pretty good, but much more expensive that it was a few years ago.  

A lot of people still go to Gold's Venice to train. As for campers in the parking lot, that I havent seen.

The Max Muscle is no longer where it was, close to the Firehouse - they moved to Rose & Lincoln.   

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 11:27:09 AM »
Bob Bowl is still pretty good, but much more expensive that it was a few years ago.  

A lot of people still go to Gold's Venice to train. As for campers in the parking lot, that I havent seen.

The Max Muscle is no longer where it was, close to the Firehouse - they moved to Rose & Lincoln.   

In the Rose Cafe?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 11:30:59 AM »
In the Rose Cafe?

Rose and LINCOLN...

Rose Cafe is on Rose and Hampton

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 11:58:28 AM »
WOW, that is so cool, small world and yes I know of Rodger,and he seemed like a real good guy.
I think I competed in the same show as Jeff M, perhaps it was the Mr Bay State in Worcster, Mass?
He had great legs as I remember. Did Mr A ( 84-84??)Jeff King train your gym in Springfield?
Jeff King,Rich Roy(Mr. World),Pat Hayes(70`s Mr.A contestant),Joe Gomes(NABBA Mr. U and Mr. A contestant),Jim Jarvis(Mr. Bay State),Larry Tyler(Teen Mr. A Class winner),Matt Dufresne(Mr. America,Mr. USA,Mr. Universe,etc.),Rick Sampson(NABBA Mr. U contestant),Chris Gordon(of Pumping Iron fame),Ray Wilson,Arthur Prince,(Mr. Mass. and Mr. A contestant)etc. etc.

A real hotbed of bodybuilding.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 12:08:39 PM »
Max Muscle now at Rose and Lincoln... Cheaper rent I think.

Pretty close to the freeway entrance heading east (I-10).

Lincoln would be 10th Avenue if it was not called "Lincoln" (or would it be 11th?)

Long ago the Rose Cafe, now situated across the street from the Firehouse, used to be located on Rose.

Hence its' name!

Do you realize that old Route 66's western end is the Santa Monica Pier?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 12:13:58 PM »
Venice is a weird place.  If you haven't been here, it's kind of shocking.  You get used to the bumbs shitting all over the sidewalk, junkies wigging out, dead people laying around, bumbs fucking on the street, bumbs having a party on 3rd street, did I mention bumbs?

It's gross, but has some interesting character to it, if you can put it that way.  I train at Gold's Venice for the convenience, it's still got decent equipment, I just get in and get the fuck out as soon as I can.  Way too many weirdos doing weird shit in there.  Stay away from the up stairs bathrooms unless you want a trib session or see some old dude hanging out with his saggy balls.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 12:20:37 PM »
Jeff King,Rich Roy(Mr. World),Pat Hayes(70`s Mr.A contestant),Joe Gomes(NABBA Mr. U and Mr. A contestant),Jim Jarvis(Mr. Bay State),Larry Tyler(Teen Mr. A Class winner),Matt Dufresne(Mr. America,Mr. USA,Mr. Universe,etc.),Rick Sampson(NABBA Mr. U contestant),Chris Gordon(of Pumping Iron fame),Ray Wilson,Arthur Prince,(Mr. Mass. and Mr. A contestant)etc. etc.

A real hotbed of bodybuilding.

no offense dude, but didn't most of these dudes die of old age?
Deep Tissue Massage

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »
no offense dude, but didn't most of these dudes die of old age?
Not funny !! ;D

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
GOOD QUESTION, Man!  Old age or otherwise.

I did see Jeff king within the past couple of years (or was that his son?). Nah, it had to be jeff because we did talk about the birth of his son who was almost due while helping us promote a show someplace.

But the rest, I'm not sure of.

Gonna ask around though, so "STAND BY, Trooper!"

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 12:28:22 PM »
stunt,Jeff is doing well,still training and is a lean 195-200 pounds.

Works as a physical therapist as well as a state police officer.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 12:35:59 PM »
Howard, the bodybuilding world used to be really small and I bet I even know you or have met ya or possibly punched ya in the nose for some invalid reason.

I'll PM ya one of these days to determine when out lives crossed paths. I'm almost sure they have.

If you go to AA meetings in So Cal. I'm that quiet asshole sitting in the corner who never says anything because I'm not an alcoholic and have been told by the real alcoholics to keep my mouth shut and have a cup of coffee and wait till they are finished to get a ride back home.

They need me to drive them, otherwise they stop in the neighborhood tavern on their way home for a couple of congratulatory snorts.

The Circle Bar in Venice used to be their favorite inebriation hide-out but once they decided to make an attempt to sober up, it appears that that hide-out has closed down.

You know that place?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 12:40:36 PM »
Thanks, Wes! Jeff competed against my good friend and fellow Marine back in the early 80's and I think I met him around that time.

Just tried to find a Jeff photo on the net but apparently none exist.

Oh shit! I'm talking about Jeff McBride here.

Thanks for the Jeff King info. Great guy! I'll try to contact him for old times' sake!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 12:59:57 PM »
Stunt,was your marine friend........Ernie Santiago?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »
"Rose and Hampton" that's right, I get those confused, been a while since I was there.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 01:18:41 PM »
Stunt,was your marine friend........Ernie Santiago?

Man Ernie looked good too
No Worries 4 me

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 01:27:02 PM »
Wes, Ernie and his family have been friends of mine for many years, But since I moved, I have not seen them much,

Ernie, email me if you are reading this.

Semper fi!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 01:32:36 PM »
Why do I have yellow stars? What means that?

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »
Venice is a weird place.  If you haven't been here, it's kind of shocking.  You get used to the bumbs shitting all over the sidewalk, junkies wigging out, dead people laying around, bumbs fucking on the street, bumbs having a party on 3rd street, did I mention bumbs?

It's gross, but has some interesting character to it, if you can put it that way.  I train at Gold's Venice for the convenience, it's still got decent equipment, I just get in and get the fuck out as soon as I can.  Way too many weirdos doing weird shit in there.  Stay away from the up stairs bathrooms unless you want a trib session or see some old dude hanging out with his saggy balls.
sounds like a great experience.  :-X

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »
Rose and LINCOLN...

Rose Cafe is on Rose and Hampton
bob,
does chris cormier still train at venice?
A

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2010, 02:06:05 PM »
I;ve done a lot of posting regarding Venice and Santa Monica in the old days which might be of interest to some of you GetBiggers but I have no idea how to find them old submissions.

Suffice it to say that back when Muscle Beach was popular in Santa Monica, Venice Beach was a quiet Jewish community consisting of very old folks sitting on benches and a few Synagogs and the beach was seldom occupied except for the old pier area with the Lawrence Welk type dance-hall.

Actually that beach south of the SM Muscle Beach area was seldom occupied with the exception of a couple of private beach clubs until the Hippies invaded and turned it into their own nudist tanning and smoking area.

And then the bongo players turned up by the hundreds yo pay tribute to the setting sun  in a haze of marijuana dew.

We used to ride the electric trolly from the SM Pier down to the vicinity where the Venice pit is presently located and return for about a quarter .... and many times I'd hop off that trolly and run beside it for most of that 2 mile route. And I'd often beat it back to the SM Pier when it stopped to drop off passengers along the route.

Good, fun days back then.

Jake_W

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »
I;ve done a lot of posting regarding Venice and Santa Monica in the old days which might be of interest to some of you GetBiggers but I have no idea how to find them old submissions.

Suffice it to say that back when Muscle Beach was popular in Santa Monica, Venice Beach was a quiet Jewish community consisting of very old folks sitting on benches and a few Synagogs and the beach was seldom occupied except for the old pier area with the Lawrence Welk type dance-hall.

Actually that beach south of the SM Muscle Beach area was seldom occupied with the exception of a couple of private beach clubs until the Hippies invaded and turned it into their own nudist tanning and smoking area.

And then the bongo players turned up by the hundreds yo pay tribute to the setting sun  in a haze of marijuana dew.

We used to ride the electric trolly from the SM Pier down to the vicinity where the Venice pit is presently located and return for about a quarter .... and many times I'd hop off that trolly and run beside it for most of that 2 mile route. And I'd often beat it back to the SM Pier when it stopped to drop off passengers along the route.

Good, fun days back then.

How old are you ?