Author Topic: Obama Admn keeping Oil drilling ban ($6 a gallon gas here we come) - Told You So  (Read 50607 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Oil drilling ban to be maintained in key areas, sources say
By Juliet Eilperin

________________________ ________________________ ______

Obama administration officials will announce Wednesday afternoon they will not allow offshore oil drilling in the eastern Gulf of Mexico or off the Atlantic and Pacific coasts as part of the next five-year drilling plan, according to sources briefed on the plan, reversing two key policy changes President Obama announced in late March.

President Obama talks about endorsing expansion of offshore drilling. (Footage via www.whitehouse.gov/The Washington Post)During that announcement--less than a month before the BP oil spill--Obama and Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said they would open up the eastern Gulf and parts of the Atlantic, including off the coast of Virginia, to offshore oil and gas exploration.

The announcement is sure to please environmentalists while angering oil and gas companies as well as some lawmakers from both parties who have pressed for continued offshore energy exploration in the wake of massive Gulf of Mexico spill.

According to multiple individuals briefed on the plan, the Obama administration will proceed with scoping for possible drilling in the central and western Gulf of Mexico and in the Arctic as part of the upcoming 2012-2017 Outer Continental Shelf program, while keeping the other areas off limits.

The administration is likely to conduct a new environmental assessment of Shell's plan to conduct drilling in the Arctic, the sources added.

Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), who has consistently pushed to restrict drilling in the eastern gulf, welcomed the news. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar called the senator Wednesday morning, according to Nelson spokesman Dan McLaughlin, but the two men did not speak yet because Nelson is chairing a hearing.

"Drilling off Florida's Gulf coast is banned at least until 2022, under a 2006 law passed by Senator Nelson," McLaughlin said. "The senator is pleased the White House has decided rightly to keep the area off-limits. He hopes Florida's next governor and the Legislature similarly will commit to protecting the state's tourism economy and unique environment."

Activists such as Margie Alt, executive director of Environment America, also praised the administration's plan, saying, "Today, anyone who loves our beaches, who fishes in the ocean or who depends on a healthy coastal economy can thank the Obama administration for protecting the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and the west coast of Florida from oil drilling. The BP disaster earlier this year was a tragic reminder that drilling is a dirty and dangerous business. The only way to truly keep our coasts and ocean ecosystems safe is to keep them rig free."

But the move could spark a backlash from business interests as well from both many congressional Republicans and conservative Democrats such as Sen. Manry Landrieu, who argue that curbing offshore energy exploration could exacerbate the nation's economic woes.

Karen Harbert, president and CEO of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's Institute for 21st Century Energy, said in a statement, "The Administration is sending a message to America's oil and gas industry: take your capital, technology, and jobs somewhere else."

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _

Just great.  

$5 a gallon gas here we come.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Obama Admn keeping Oil drilling ban ($5 a gallon gas here we come)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 10:39:07 AM »
Administration to Reverse Offshore Drilling Policy
NRO - The Corner ^ | Dec 1, 2010 | Matthew Schaffer

________________________ ________________________ ________

The Obama administration plans to reverse the offshore-drilling policy it had announced in March, pre-BP spill. Offshore drilling will instead continue to be severely constrained

(Excerpt) Read more at nationalreview.com ...

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
You know what a solid and forward looking national energy policy is?

Not doing anything to produce more energy and stopping anyone from trying to produce more energy.

Nat gas expansion? Nat gas plants? Nuclear? Where are the wind farms Obama said would cover the plains? Certainly no oil.

CAFE for cars is retarded and doesn't address core issues. It is an easy law to pass and looks good to the huddled sheep so that is what we get.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »
The gaggle of fools and dolts will probably blame Bush when gas goes to $7 agallon. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 10:45:52 AM »
Happy about this.  Lets just expand our involvement in Canadian oil and get more of it down here.  Simple.  Our beaches stay clean and we get our oil.   8)
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 10:48:38 AM »
P.S. we've already reached 'peak oil' in some estimates so oil will only go up regardless of what we do offshore, onshore or anywhere.  You notice consumption is down over 1% but prices haven't changed?  Nothing any US admin can do will change the higher price of oil as the world economies pick back up.  So really stop harping on about bullsh*t that amounts to putting a band aid on a bullet wound. 

Oil WILL rise, YOU will pay more and you only have government inability and public stupidity to blame for not creating and funding an alternative. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:50:23 AM »
KC - when oil shoots to $200 a barrell - how do elderly people heat their homes? 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 10:55:02 AM »
KC - when oil shoots to $200 a barrell - how do elderly people heat their homes? 

333 listen simply - NOTHING no drilling, no oil shale, no other touting will EVER bring oil back down long term.  It will only EVER go up so either we find an alternative or people like you will continue to not understand the simple equation that less oil = higher prices. 

Besides did you not see the short term solution?  Canada has the second largest PROVEN oil reserves why do we need to drill off our shores?  Are they a rouge government or something?  Pipelines are already being built but further investment in Alberta and Saskatchewan will yield more than enough oil to allow a weening off process BEFORE it gets too expensive. 

Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »
333 listen simply - NOTHING no drilling, no oil shale, no other touting will EVER bring oil back down long term.  It will only EVER go up so either we find an alternative or people like you will continue to not understand the simple equation that less oil = higher prices. 

Besides did you not see the short term solution?  Canada has the second largest PROVEN oil reserves why do we need to drill off our shores?  Are they a rouge government or something?  Pipelines are already being built but further investment in Alberta and Saskatchewan will yield more than enough oil to allow a weening off process BEFORE it gets too expensive. 

Please answer the question. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »

Coal.

The fact is that OPEC and the ability to trade on a commodity like oil is the reason for the price.

It does not cost more to refine the oil today than it did 20 years ago, nor does it take more to get it from point A to point B.

You want to lower prices... Have everyone in america go a week without driving.

Supply and Demand... Change the demand and the supply will increase, OPEC will shit and HAVE to lower prices.

Won't happen though.

Nothing will change the gas prices unless the consumers stop using it.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 11:05:18 AM »
Coal.

The fact is that OPEC and the ability to trade on a commodity like oil is the reason for the price.

It does not cost more to refine the oil today than it did 20 years ago, nor does it take more to get it from point A to point B.

Supply and Demand... Change the demand and the supply will increase, OPEC will shit and HAVE to lower prices.

Won't happen though.

Or it gets to expensive. Prices change behavior.

Either way, the we have enough Nat gas, why not start building more powerplants using it? CNG for trucks and cars? Nat gas is plentiful and would make a hell of a bridge fuel to get us across the oil "river" so to speak. With all this talk about green this and windmill that.....nothing has been done.

Interesting.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »
Please answer the question. 

I just did can you not read?  Oil will never go down again long term so even if we drill the sh*t out of the ocean guess what?  $200 oil will still come.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 11:16:13 AM »
I just did can you not read?  Oil will never go down again long term so even if we drill the sh*t out of the ocean guess what?  $200 oil will still come.

Wrong - oil prices are a result of artificial constraints on he supply by he u.s. gvt as well as our horrendous monetary policy via the fed.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 11:17:09 AM »
Coal.

Won't happen though.

Consumption is already down.  America's oil usage regarding vehicles has been in decline for a few years now, and oil only goes up.  It's a tapped out resource plain and simple, china's vehicle ownership is growing by 50% every year (although probably not this year) and will continue to grow steadily for at least a decade.  Oil will only go up.  
Abandon every hope...

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 11:19:43 AM »
Wrong - oil prices are a result of artificial constraints on he supply by he u.s. gvt as well as our horrendous monetary policy via the fed.   

Bullshit.

Some of the cost is attributed to it sure... but not all.

Stop making it available as a trade-able commodity and see what happens. You won't go for that though I'm sure.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 11:21:23 AM »

You are such an idiot 333.  

http://www.worldenergyoutlook.org/

According to the report, by 2035 three-quarters of currently operating oil fields won’t be producing anymore. In fact, current fields are only expected to account for less than one-fifth of that year’s production.  And in order for the 'newer' fields to become affordable guess what price oil has to be?  Triple fu*king digit.  

According to IEA projections, it now appears that the production of conventional oil peaked back in 2006, that would be gasoline for your car 333.  So yeah it's Obama's fault  ::)

Get a clue.

Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »

Bullshit.

Stop making it available as a trade-able commodity and see what happens. You won't go for that though I'm sure.

Cat is out of the bag at this point.   We place stupid ass restraints on supply via our idiotic policies as well as devalue the dollar to prop up our unsustainable spending orgy and in return we get higher prices.  

Environmentalists are the Saudis best friends.    

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 11:22:48 AM »

Bullshit.

Yep complete bullsh*t by 333.  His argument that these offshore oil fields will do anything to stem the tide towards triple digit oil is plain retarded and shows just how far removed he is from reality.
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 11:23:54 AM »
Cat is out of the bag at this point.   We place stupid ass restraints on supply via our idiotic policies as well as devalue the dollar to prop up our unsustainable spending orgy and in return we get higher prices.  

::) Uh 333 we already had HIGHER prices when our dollar wasn't devalued.  I seem to remember triple digit oil pre-recession so yeah eat sh*t with your lies.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 11:24:01 AM »
Yep complete bullsh*t by 333.  His argument that these offshore oil fields will do anything to stem the tide towards triple digit oil is plain retarded and shows just how far removed he is from reality.

::)  ::)

Oil is traded in what denomination KC?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 11:25:09 AM »
::) Uh 333 we already had HIGHER prices when our dollar wasn't devalued.  I seem to remember triple digit oil pre-recession so yeah eat sh*t with your lies.

::)  ::)

What lies? 

Again - oil is edging higher along with gold, silver, and amny other commodities -why is that? 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 11:26:16 AM »

You are ridiculous man. We are not constraining our supply what so ever... You are talking about shit that happened 30 years ago.

Since then we've started importing oil from other locations as well as exporting more oil to other places.

It has nothing to do with government constraint at all.
::)  ::)

What lies? 

Again - oil is edging higher along with gold, silver, and amny other commodities -why is that? 

Yes, because they are all trade-able commodities... That has nothing to do with anything.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 11:27:59 AM »

Oil is traded in what denomination KC?

Oil was what price pre-recession 333? and oil is what price today after deflationary measures by the FED had started?

I'm not saying oil won't go up because of these measures, what i am saying is it will regardless of our dollars strength.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 11:29:57 AM »
You are ridiculous man. We are not constraining our supply what so ever... You are talking about shit that happened 30 years ago.

Since then we've started importing oil from other locations as well as exporting more oil to other places.

It has nothing to do with government constraint at all.
Yes, because they are all trade-able commodities... That has nothing to do with anything.

I guess Economics and reality is not your strong suit.  

We restrict development in alaska, Gulf, etc etc and that does not = a restriction on supply?  where do you think oil comes from?  walmart?  

and by the way you morons - oil is traded in dollars - so when we devalue the dollar based on Fed proniting schemes to pay off our INSANE level of spending, dollars are worth less, and commodities worth more, hence, silver, gold, oil, food, etc all going up and up and u.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 11:36:51 AM »
You're looking at ONE aspect without taking into account the whole picture.  It is as if you just do not understand that oil will rise no matter how strong a dollar we have or how many environmental disasters we try to create. 

This guy is Canadian but knows his sh*t -

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/commentary/jeff-rubins-smaller-world/

If you seriously want a clue on what oil is going to do and why, read it.  Otherwise keep dithering in the dark about off shore oil and Obama this and that meanwhile failing to grasp the whole picture. 
Abandon every hope...