Author Topic: The Book Thread (cool people need not apply)  (Read 19486 times)

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
Re: The book thread(cool people need not apply)
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2011, 01:51:07 AM »
this should be common sense and easily understood,  a "massless" anything is by definition impossible.

photons mass can not be measured.... with current technology.... 

but photons absolutely have mass.. they have, or more accurately, ARE energy...

and energy=mass and mass=energy...   

What is it with your obsession with mass? You know next to nothing about particle physics but you still claim to know something that for example Stephen Hawking does not. A photon is a very bizarre thing in many aspects since it automatically travels at the speed of light and is at the same time a neutral particle/wave that is not affected by any magnetic or electromagnetic fields whatsoever. There's nothing to currently suggest that it has mass.

Energy equals mass only when there is any mass to be had as in the theory of relativity and it's described by the famous formula E=mc^2. An objects/particles total mass is also given by

where you can clearly see(if you know basic math and physics) that if you get really close to the speed of light you'd require an infinite amount of energy to travel any faster and hence your relativistic mass increases.

This does not apply to photons however as described by E=hc/λ. It's energy only depends on it's frequency! Get this into your head!
from incomplete data

paradoxno1

• Getbig II
Re: The Book Thread (cool people need not apply)
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2011, 02:43:59 AM »
Have you seen the world's shortest books?:
Jewish Business Ethics.
Italian War Heroes.
Negroes I Have Met While Yachting.
Aboriginal Hygiene Hints.
Adolf Hitler's Kosher Recipes.
Muslim Pork Dishes.
Great Women Drivers of Today.
The Complete Guide to Catholic Sex.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2011, 03:01:12 AM »
What is it with your obsession with mass? You know next to nothing about particle physics but you still claim to know something that for example Stephen Hawking does not. A photon is a very bizarre thing in many aspects since it automatically travels at the speed of light and is at the same time a neutral particle/wave that is not affected by any magnetic or electromagnetic fields whatsoever. There's nothing to currently suggest that it has mass.

Energy equals mass only when there is any mass to be had as in the theory of relativity and it's described by the famous formula E=mc^2. An objects/particles total mass is also given by

where you can clearly see(if you know basic math and physics) that if you get really close to the speed of light you'd require an infinite amount of energy to travel any faster and hence your relativistic mass increases.

This does not apply to photons however as described by E=hc/λ. It's energy only depends on it's frequency! Get this into your head!

He has the same approach towards physics that Johnny Falcon has towards medicine/physiology - have very little knowledge of the fundamental concepts and then try to explain phenomenon using a simplistic, illiterate approach that involves rationalization using non-scientific arguments, while expressing contempt for experts who've actually studied and developed theories in the field.

You won't get any scientific rebuttal from tbombz regarding the mass energy equation, just an oversimplified, illogical argument that's a mixture of metaphor, metaphysics and semantics, like, "If it has no mass, how can it exist?"

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2011, 04:33:48 AM »
He has the same approach towards physics that Johnny Falcon has towards medicine/physiology - have very little knowledge of the fundamental concepts and then try to explain phenomenon using a simplistic, illiterate approach that involves rationalization using non-scientific arguments, while expressing contempt for experts who've actually studied and developed theories in the field.

You won't get any scientific rebuttal from tbombz regarding the mass energy equation, just an oversimplified, illogical argument that's a mixture of metaphor, metaphysics and semantics, like, "If it has no mass, how can it exist?"
    :)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2011, 04:53:54 AM »
Have you seen the world's shortest books?:
Jewish Business Ethics.
Italian War Heroes.
Negroes I Have Met While Yachting.
Aboriginal Hygiene Hints.
Adolf Hitler's Kosher Recipes.
Muslim Pork Dishes.
Great Women Drivers of Today.
The Complete Guide to Catholic Sex.

German humor...

Swlabr

« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2011, 05:19:49 AM »
because he is a fucking moron who doesnt even understand the basic concepts in his own field of expertise.

hahahahahahhahaa

I like you, you're a good guy at heart but so delusional it hurts.

brb teaching one of the world's most respected experts in his field about HIS OWN FIELD

ahahahahahah

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2011, 05:23:23 AM »
Time to share your intellectual database. What have you read recently? Any books in particular that stood out?

The last couple of months I've read:

A brief history of Time by Stephen Hawking
Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt(just ordered Superfreakonomics, looking forward to it)
The Missionary position by Christopher Hitchens(a must read, both hilarious and pretty shocking at the same time although overwritten)
Stalin, the Red Tsar and his court by Simon Sebag M.(Buy it, read it)
A book dealing with science philosophy by an author I can't remember the name of
Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku(an excellent read if you find theoretical physics fascinating, a little bit easier to grasp than say A brief history of time)
Einstein by Walter Isaacson
June 1941 by John Lukacs(interesting book about Hitler's motives for attacking Russia)
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins(must read, gives you a lot of insight into how animals and evolution in general work)
A huuuge 700 page book summarizing the world's history but can't remember the author(a little bit on the dry side but very educational at the same time)

etc
etc

Pretty much all of it deals with either science or history which I have a hard-on for right now. Obviously I'm reading this only while waiting for Nasser's epic piece of literature to come out, make no mistake  ;D
What, you have read all those books and yet you are still dumb enough to post here.
V

Swlabr

« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2011, 05:24:09 AM »
Currently reading Stewart's 'Calculus'. Great book, one of my favourites.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »
this should be common sense and easily understood,  a "massless" anything is by definition impossible.

photons mass can not be measured.... with current technology.... 

but photons absolutely have mass.. they have, or more accurately, ARE energy...

and energy=mass and mass=energy...   

Take some courses in real Science and come back.

I like the fact that you think outside of the box, but you simply cannot debate something like this without the fundamental knowledge of Science and advanced Math.  I used to think the same, but after years of Engineering, Science and Math classes, i was quite humbled.

Study some Astronomy or Astrophysics and come back and debate then.

8)

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »
what pretentions, and you wish you could come up with even one incomplete thought that i come up with

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »
I'm currently reading.

-The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search for God

by the late Carl Sagan.

8)

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2011, 03:42:16 PM »
One of my favorite series of books is the vampire chronicles by Anne Rice, been a while but I want to read more of them soon.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »
The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »

first let me point out that your statement about requiring an infinite amount of energy to moce faster than the speed of light is extremely moronic.  if its possible to go faster, there is a quantity of energy that will make it happen. if its not possible, then not even an "infinite amount of energy" could make it happen.

secondly, a photon is energy. a tiny glowing little piece of power, if you will. think of a ray of sun light divided up into a million pieces. that little golden bit of energy. get it very very small. thats, basically, what a photon is.  now.. that little glowing piece of energy... does it take up space?  if it takes up space, it has mass.  AND if its going at the speed of light it has built up a wicked amount of kinetic energy that adds to its mass making it quite a massive object.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2011, 06:08:29 PM »
"If it has no mass, how can it exist?"
can 1+1=3 ?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »

Wtf is this drivel?  Where's the vagina pics?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2011, 06:26:16 PM »
3/4 of the way through THE HUNGER GAME.

Nowhere near a book for intellectuals such as mentioned above but entertaining nonetheless and it appears that Hollywood has a lot of confidence in it's financial  success next year.

Basically it a story in which the post  Armageddon central government forces 12 of its colonies to submit one male and one female between the ages of 12 to 18 each year to fight to the death until the last individual is standing.

This is enforced as a form of punishment after those colonies start a war against the central government and lose.

I understand that it's currently a major seller.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2011, 06:28:54 PM »
Monkey, How did you write that formula ?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2011, 12:45:41 AM »

Was reading this and thought of your discourse with Tbombz

http://www.parabola.org/seeing-table-of-contents

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2011, 01:22:26 AM »
first let me point out that your statement about requiring an infinite amount of energy to moce faster than the speed of light is extremely moronic.  if its possible to go faster, there is a quantity of energy that will make it happen. if its not possible, then not even an "infinite amount of energy" could make it happen.

secondly, a photon is energy. a tiny glowing little piece of power, if you will. think of a ray of sun light divided up into a million pieces. that little golden bit of energy. get it very very small. thats, basically, what a photon is.  now.. that little glowing piece of energy... does it take up space?  if it takes up space, it has mass.  AND if its going at the speed of light it has built up a wicked amount of kinetic energy that adds to its mass making it quite a massive object.

Are you trolling?

With this kind of nonsense for a response you have to be joking surely.
from incomplete data

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2011, 01:27:03 AM »

I get what you're saying and if it had been anyone else besides tbombz spewing this nonsense I would have been absolutely convinced he was trolling by now. But the sad thing is that I think he's being genuine here and I simply can not wrap my mind around it. I just can't let go of it. His arrogance and ignorance is simply awe-inspiring.
from incomplete data

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2011, 02:50:10 AM »
Are you trolling?

With this kind of nonsense for a response you have to joking surely.

The defense rests.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2011, 04:21:29 AM »
The defense rests.
Judgement: Banishment to Retard Island.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2011, 05:03:35 AM »
Tbombz:

Swlabr

« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2011, 05:41:53 AM »
I don't even... how can someone be so delusional? Dude, you don't even know basic mathematics, how can you call anything 'moronic'?