Author Topic: Alleged leaker Bradley Manning: hero to Berkeley?  (Read 13608 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Alleged leaker Bradley Manning: hero to Berkeley?
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2017, 03:52:48 PM »

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »
Sets a great precedence  ::), want to commit treason? Don't worry the POTUS will commute your sentence. They used to execute traitors.....

Not surprised.  What's next?  A Hillary Clinton pardon?   ::)

Obama commutes sentence of Chelsea Manning

By Laura Jarrett, CNN
Tue January 17, 2017

Washington (CNN) — President Barack Obama on Tuesday commuted the sentence of Chelsea Manning, who was convicted of stealing and disseminating 750,000 pages of documents and videos to WikiLeaks.

The President also pardoned James Cartwright, the former vice chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, who pleaded guilty in October to a single charge of making false statements to federal investigators in 2012 when he was questioned about leaking top secret information on US efforts to cripple Iran's nuclear program to two journalists.

Manning, a transgender woman and former US Army soldier, was serving a 35-year sentence at Fort Leavenworth, an all-male Army prison in eastern Kansas, despite her request to transfer to a civilian prison. A White House statement on Tuesday said her prison sentence is set to expire on May 17.

The material, which WikiLeaks published in 2010, included a classified video of a US helicopter attacking civilians and journalists in Iraq in 2007. Labeled "Collateral Murder," the film drew criticism from human rights activists for the deaths of innocent people.

When asked about WikiLeaks in the wake of the releases, President-elect Donald Trump told Fox News' Brian Kilmeade in 2010: "I think it's disgraceful. I think there should be like death penalty or something."

Though found guilty on 20 out of 22 possible charges (including violating the US Espionage Act), Manning was not convicted of the most serious one; aiding the enemy, which could have earned the private a life sentence.

Instead, the former intelligence analyst was sentenced to 35 years in prison, as well as demoted from private first class to private and dishonorably discharged.

Earlier this month, WikiLeaks said it would agree to a US extradition request for the site's founder, Julian Assange, if Obama granted clemency to Manning. It was not immediately clear if WikiLeaks would make good on its promise, though the group declared "victory" in a tweet Tuesday afternoon.

A former intelligence official described being "shocked" to learn of Obama's decision Tuesday. The official added that the "entire intelligence community is deflated by this inexplicable use of executive power," saying it was "deeply hypocritical given Obama's denunciation of WikiLeaks' role in the hacking of the (Democratic National Committee)."

But Chase Strangio, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, which represented Manning, said he was "relieved and thankful" Obama commuted her sentence.

"Since she was first taken into custody, Chelsea has been subjected to long stretches of solitary confinement -- including for attempting suicide -- and has been denied access to medically necessary health care," Strangio said in a statement. "This move could quite literally save Chelsea's life, and we are all better off knowing that Chelsea Manning will walk out of prison a free woman, dedicated to making the world a better place and fighting for justice for so many."

Amnesty International also cheered news of Manning's commutation.

"Chelsea Manning exposed serious abuses, and as a result, her own human rights have been violated by the US government for years," Margaret Huang, the group's executive director, said in a statement. "President Obama was right to commute her sentence, but it is long overdue. It is unconscionable that she languished in prison for years while those allegedly implicated by the information she revealed still haven't been brought to justice."

Republican members of Congress, however, expressed outrage.

"This was grave harm to our national security. and Chelsea Manning is serving a sentence and should continue to serve that sentence," Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Arkansas, told CNN's Jake Tapper on "The Lead."

Meanwhile, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-Louisiana, told reporters on Capitol Hill that he considered Manning a "traitor" and said he was "disappointed" about the commutation.

"If somebody leaks our state secrets, endangers Americans directly, we need to set an example that is severe and consistent," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/17/politics/chelsea-manning-sentence-commuted/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2017, 04:56:54 PM »
Bergdahl is next. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »
Not surprised.  What's next?  A Hillary Clinton pardon?   ::)

Obama commutes sentence of Chelsea Manning

By Laura Jarrett, CNN
Tue January 17, 2017

Washington (CNN) — President Barack Obama on Tuesday commuted the sentence of Chelsea Manning, who was convicted of stealing and disseminating 750,000 pages of documents and videos to WikiLeaks.

The President also pardoned James Cartwright, the former vice chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, who pleaded guilty in October to a single charge of making false statements to federal investigators in 2012 when he was questioned about leaking top secret information on US efforts to cripple Iran's nuclear program to two journalists.

Manning, a transgender woman and former US Army soldier, was serving a 35-year sentence at Fort Leavenworth, an all-male Army prison in eastern Kansas, despite her request to transfer to a civilian prison. A White House statement on Tuesday said her prison sentence is set to expire on May 17.

The material, which WikiLeaks published in 2010, included a classified video of a US helicopter attacking civilians and journalists in Iraq in 2007. Labeled "Collateral Murder," the film drew criticism from human rights activists for the deaths of innocent people.

When asked about WikiLeaks in the wake of the releases, President-elect Donald Trump told Fox News' Brian Kilmeade in 2010: "I think it's disgraceful. I think there should be like death penalty or something."

Though found guilty on 20 out of 22 possible charges (including violating the US Espionage Act), Manning was not convicted of the most serious one; aiding the enemy, which could have earned the private a life sentence.

Instead, the former intelligence analyst was sentenced to 35 years in prison, as well as demoted from private first class to private and dishonorably discharged.

Earlier this month, WikiLeaks said it would agree to a US extradition request for the site's founder, Julian Assange, if Obama granted clemency to Manning. It was not immediately clear if WikiLeaks would make good on its promise, though the group declared "victory" in a tweet Tuesday afternoon.

A former intelligence official described being "shocked" to learn of Obama's decision Tuesday. The official added that the "entire intelligence community is deflated by this inexplicable use of executive power," saying it was "deeply hypocritical given Obama's denunciation of WikiLeaks' role in the hacking of the (Democratic National Committee)."

But Chase Strangio, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, which represented Manning, said he was "relieved and thankful" Obama commuted her sentence.

"Since she was first taken into custody, Chelsea has been subjected to long stretches of solitary confinement -- including for attempting suicide -- and has been denied access to medically necessary health care," Strangio said in a statement. "This move could quite literally save Chelsea's life, and we are all better off knowing that Chelsea Manning will walk out of prison a free woman, dedicated to making the world a better place and fighting for justice for so many."

Amnesty International also cheered news of Manning's commutation.

"Chelsea Manning exposed serious abuses, and as a result, her own human rights have been violated by the US government for years," Margaret Huang, the group's executive director, said in a statement. "President Obama was right to commute her sentence, but it is long overdue. It is unconscionable that she languished in prison for years while those allegedly implicated by the information she revealed still haven't been brought to justice."

Republican members of Congress, however, expressed outrage.

"This was grave harm to our national security. and Chelsea Manning is serving a sentence and should continue to serve that sentence," Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Arkansas, told CNN's Jake Tapper on "The Lead."

Meanwhile, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-Louisiana, told reporters on Capitol Hill that he considered Manning a "traitor" and said he was "disappointed" about the commutation.

"If somebody leaks our state secrets, endangers Americans directly, we need to set an example that is severe and consistent," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/17/politics/chelsea-manning-sentence-commuted/

Wouldn't HRC's pardon be premature? After all, she's not been charged with anything, much less convicted and incarcerated.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2017, 05:49:03 PM »
Wouldn't HRC's pardon be premature? After all, she's not been charged with anything, much less convicted and incarcerated.

Same way Ford pardoned Nixon. 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
Sets a great precedence  ::), want to commit treason? Don't worry the POTUS will commute your sentence. They used to execute traitors.....

He technically only had another year on his sentence and commuting a sentence leave in place his dishonorable discharge
A

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2017, 10:05:10 PM »
Same way Ford pardoned Nixon. 

The Constitution simply provides that the President ''shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment'' (Article II, section 2).

Nixon charged with first of three articles of impeachment

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »
The Constitution simply provides that the President ''shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment'' (Article II, section 2).

Nixon charged with first of three articles of impeachment

No he wasn't.  The House never voted on articles of impeachment.  He resigned before they could vote. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »
Good week to be a drug dealer, cop killer, and traitor.  Thanks President Obama. 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2017, 12:47:32 PM »

He technically only had another year on his sentence and commuting a sentence leave in place his dishonorable discharge

I guess you missed the point, but I guess one persons traitor is someone else's whistle blower
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2017, 08:00:47 PM »
No he wasn't.  The House never voted on articles of impeachment.  He resigned before they could vote. 

And why do you think he resigned?

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2017, 05:25:24 AM »
"Chelsea" Manning, oh brother  ::)

"Mamma name him Clay, Ima call him Clay"

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 06:47:52 AM »
So, in the liberal world:

Turning over classified military information:  OK
Exposing true DNC emails/information:  Not OK
Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »
And why do you think he resigned?

Because he was probably going to be impeached by the House and removed by the Senate.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2017, 01:22:48 PM »

lol.  That's what I'm saying.   ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »

Twisted.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2017, 01:40:07 PM »

:D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »

Is your handle here what your mama named you?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
Pentagon head opposed Manning commutation: reports
By Mark Hensch - 01/17/17

Defense Secretary Ash Carter disagreed with President Obama’s decision to commute former Army soldier Chelsea Manning’s prison sentence, according to multiple reports.

Carter “did not support” reducing Manning’s 35-year sentence for leaking classified information about U.S. national security activities, CNN said Tuesday.

CNN said it confirmed Carter’s opposition with a senior Department of Defense official following Obama’s maneuver earlier Tuesday.

A U.S. official also told ABC News that evening Carter was against the idea of Manning’s sentence getting commuted.
Obama commuted Manning’s sentence earlier Tuesday, cutting what was the longest punishment ever imposed for a leak conviction.

Manning was convicted in 2013 of leaking classified information that was later publicly disseminated by WikiLeaks.

The former Army private has already served seven years of her sentence, and will now regain freedom on May 17, 2017. Manning was originally set to be released in 2045.

Manning’s grant came in a batch of 209 commutations and 64 pardons, which were announced with four days left in Obama’s presidency.

A senior administration official said Obama believes Manning is remorseful and has faced “sufficient punishment for the serious crimes she committed.”

Manning, who is transgender, has reportedly struggled with mental health issues during her incarceration. The former soldier has twice attempted suicide, for example, actions which were penalized by her solitary confinement.

An attorney for Manning, meanwhile, voiced gratitude for Obama’s commutation during a MSNBC interview Tuesday.

“If he didn’t act now, Chelsea’s life was very much in jeopardy,” Chase Strangio said. "President Obama acted on the side of justice here. And I truly do believe that this has saved her life.”

Tuesday’s commutation marked a reversal from Obama’s past position on Manning in 2011, when he said the former soldier “broke the law” and deserved punishment.

Manning, who was then known as Bradley, leaked thousands of classified documents pertaining to the Afghanistan and Iraq Wars.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/314731-pentagon-head-opposed-manning-commutation-reports

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2017, 05:32:33 AM »
Trump used it's Trans name

a

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2017, 09:38:24 AM »
Trump used it's Trans name

Not crazy about his tweeting, but this one is Dos Equis approved. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2017, 02:09:36 PM »
Our tax dollars hard at work again. 

Chelsea Manning to remain in Army, receive health care benefits after prison release
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/15/chelsea-manning-to-remain-in-army-receive-health-care-benefits-after-prison-release.html

Manning was granted clemency in the final days of the Obama administration. She thanked former President Obama last Tuesday in her first statement since being granted clemency

Manning, a former intelligence analyst in Iraq, was convicted in 2013 of leaking more than 700,000 secret military and State Department documents

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2017, 11:50:23 PM »
Not crazy about his tweeting, but this one is Dos Equis approved. 

I'm not...I find it hypocritical considering how many times Trump called Obama weak
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »

I'm not...I find it hypocritical considering how many times Trump called Obama weak

Obama was weak.  But he gave convicted traitor Manning a pass, so it was dumb for Manning to criticize Obama. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V