Author Topic: HS Hunter faces expulsion over gun locked in case in trunk. (Zero Tolerance)  (Read 2702 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V

Yeah, I agree.  At one time it was ok to have your hunting rifle in the car.  These days it's considered unacceptable.

Kazan, I think theft is probably the bigger issue.  When I was in HS, you could leave your gun in your car and not worry.  These days, I have little doubt that thing would be stolen.  But, I think you're right about it not having anything to do with preventing a shooting spree.
this is the main reason I keep my guns with me or within sight at all times if im moving them. I would hate to have them stolen and then used later to take someones life.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Well it was supposed to be a joke, I know where all my guns are as well, locked in the gun safe. The point is the girl doesn't need to be expelled, they want to punish her fine suspend her, but there doesn't appear to be ill intent.
I agree and that really does suck, she probably honestly forgot the gun was back there but like I said there are others that intentionally bring them to school and leave them in their cars.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Well it was supposed to be a joke, I know where all my guns are as well, locked in the gun safe. The point is the girl doesn't need to be expelled, they want to punish her fine suspend her, but there doesn't appear to be ill intent.

Yeah, expulsion does seem harsh.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
this is the main reason I keep my guns with me or within sight at all times if im moving them. I would hate to have them stolen and then used later to take someones life.

No doubt, I would be sick as hell.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
the dog hitting on the car or locker of the student is probable cause, ever go through a check point at the border up there? dont know if its like it is down here on this border but they have a dog go around your car and if it hits on something they search your vehicle.

I understand that part, ...but why wouldn't having the K-9 (for all intents & purposes; a police officer)  go around your vehicle to begin with, not be considered a 4th amendment violation? He is in effect conducting a search, albeit an olfactory one, ...it is nonetheless a search conducted with neither a warrant nor probable cause.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I understand that part, ...but why wouldn't having the K-9 (for all intents & purposes; a police officer)  go around your vehicle to begin with, not be considered a 4th amendment violation? He is in effect conducting a search, albeit an olfactory one, ...it is nonetheless a search conducted with neither a warrant nor probable cause.
ahhh ok sorry i misunderstood, well I think it has something to do with the car being a school property. They to my knowledge cannot go off school property and search cars driven by students but if youre parked on school grounds or your locker then it is searchable(at least that is the way it was at my HS). Nobody is forcing them to drive to school it is a priviledge and in fact most schools you have to pay for a parking pass. By doing this you may give up certain rights like the right to not have your ish searched at will just like when you work for a company.

24KT

• Getbig V
ahhh ok sorry i misunderstood, well I think it has something to do with the car being a school property. They to my knowledge cannot go off school property and search cars driven by students but if youre parked on school grounds or your locker then it is searchable(at least that is the way it was at my HS). Nobody is forcing them to drive to school it is a priviledge and in fact most schools you have to pay for a parking pass. By doing this you may give up certain rights like the right to not have your ish searched at will just like when you work for a company.

No, a car is not the same as a school locker. The locker belongs to the school and is made available to students for their use, therefore no warrant is needed to search a school locker, only permission of a school administrator, ...however, a private vehicle remains a private vehicle regardless of where it is parked. The purchase of a parking pass is not the voluntary relinquishing of one's constitutional rights, any more than the purchase of an airline ticket.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
i find it hard to belive this was the first time she brought the gun to school.

180 days in the school year, and the day she "happened" to forget a rifle in the car is the day the drug dogs "happened" to be sniffing her row?

Methinks she had it there year-round "just in case".

and if she claims to be responsible - then she'd have brought the gun back in the house.  I remember going to the handgun range a week after I turned 21.  I KNEW that it was legal to have all the guns in a bag as i walked and drove to and from the range.  But we brought them all back in, before we went to taco bell afterwards - because we knew the law.

If this ignorant trollup didn't know the law - or didn't choose to follow it - it's her own damn fault.  If 240, as a responsible permitted gun owning ADULT TEACHER was banned from keeping my weapon locked in vehicle of car in very rough school - then it's damn sure not fair that UNDERAGE STUDENTS can keep them in car lol....

tonymctones

• Getbig V
No, a car is not the same as a school locker. The locker belongs to the school and is made available to students for their use, therefore no warrant is needed to search a school locker, only permission of a school administrator, ...however, a private vehicle remains a private vehicle regardless of where it is parked. The purchase of a parking pass is not the voluntary relinquishing of one's constitutional rights, any more than the purchase of an airline ticket.
untrue my dear if in the contract you relinquish your right to not have your car searched at will while parked on the property of the company you got the permit from...

you know some hospitals dont allow to smoke even if your off duty?

if you volutarily give up your rights then you have nothing to bitch about....

stop watching court tv shows  ;)

24KT

• Getbig V
untrue my dear if in the contract you relinquish your right to not have your car searched at will while parked on the property of the company you got the permit from...

So what you're saying is that a private company has the right to do what the government is forbidden to?

you know some hospitals dont allow to smoke even if your off duty?

I would think that in a free country, an employer has no right to tell you what you can or cannot do while off duty in the privacy of your own home, ...especially when it does not contravene any laws.

if you volutarily give up your rights then you have nothing to bitch about....

stop watching court tv shows  ;)

I don't watch court tv shows, ...I unfortunately listen to too many foolish & boastful Americans under the impression they live in a free country.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
So what you're saying is that a private company has the right to do what the government is forbidden to?

I would think that in a free country, an employer has no right to tell you what you can or cannot do while off duty in the privacy of your own home, ...especially when it does not contravene any laws.

I don't watch court tv shows, ...I unfortunately listen to too many foolish & boastful Americans under the impression they live in a free country.
you see it is also your right to give up your rights...when arrested you have the right to remain silent, but if you talk after being told this you give up that right...

if you enter into a legal contract in which part of your compensation to the other party is give up certain rights and priviledges then it is perfectly legal...that is basic contract law 101 dear, suprised you dont know that as a business owner

nobody is forcing the studnents to drive to school they provide transportation for those who choose not to and so long as they park on the schools property with probably a school parking permit they must adhere to the schools rules.

its actually pretty damn simple...

24KT

• Getbig V
you see it is also your right to give up your rights...when arrested you have the right to remain silent, but if you talk after being told this you give up that right...

You don't give up that right, ...you've simply potentially given police & prosecutors ammunition they may use against you. But you don't give up the right. It's not like they'll stretch you on a rack if you all of a sudden clam up.

if you enter into a legal contract in which part of your compensation to the other party is give up certain rights and priviledges then it is perfectly legal...that is basic contract law 101 dear, suprised you dont know that as a business owner

As a business owner, I know that a contract that contravenes statutes in the bill of rights is void & invalid.

nobody is forcing the studnents to drive to school they provide transportation for those who choose not to and so long as they park on the schools property with probably a school parking permit they must adhere to the schools rules.

its actually pretty damn simple...

Do you know exactly what was in any parking permit she may have applied for, ...or is this mere speculation on your part? When I was in high school (approx 3 years ago, ...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it) we didn't need permits to park in the school parking lot. We just pulled in and found a spot.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
You don't give up that right, ...you've simply potentially given police & prosecutors ammunition they may use against you. But you don't give up the right. It's not like they'll stretch you on a rack if you all of a sudden clam up.
no they dont hunny but if you continue to talk after they have given you your rights, you effectively give up that right...FACT SORRY HUN thats the way it its...
As a business owner, I know that a contract that contravenes statutes in the bill of rights is void & invalid.
Actually you would be absolutely WRONG DARLIN...if you so choose you may give up rights in a contract as compensation to the other party...sorry hunny youre wrong
Do you know exactly what was in any parking permit she may have applied for, ...or is this mere speculation on your part? When I was in high school (approx 3 years ago, ...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it) we didn't need permits to park in the school parking lot. We just pulled in and found a spot.
Well darlin i dont know what to tell your canadian ass but here in AMERICA you generally need a permit to park at school and even if you dont im sure the make it known that by parking on school grounds that you waive certain rights....again a perfectly legal thing to do...sorry if you dont understand that sweety....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Controversy Over Suspension Of 2 Easton High Lacrosse Players
May 10, 2011 11:35 PM

Reporting Mike Hellgren
www.drudgereport.com

EASTON, Md. (WJZ)— Outrage is growing after two high school students are suspended– one taken away in handcuffs– over items found in their lacrosse equipment bags. Those items are banned from school property.

Mike Hellgren explains the zero-tolerance controversy.

The parents of those two students say the school administrators are taking this way too far.

Talbot County schools are under fire for suspending two Easton High School lacrosse players over equipment they kept in their bags to fix their sticks.

“It’s a huge overreaction for a very minor infraction, and it wasn’t handled well at all,” said Graham Dennis, suspended student.

Laura Dennis’ son Graham had a pen knife and a Leatherman that school authorities found while they searched a team bus before it headed to a game. He now faces jail time and damage to his permanent record.

“A police officer came and took him away in handcuffs and they said ‘Give us 40 minutes, we have to process him,’ Laura Dennis said. “So they did mug shots and they fingerprinted. I was able to pick him up from the police department 45 minutes later.”

Doug Edsall’s son Casey had a lighter he also used to fix his lacrosse stick.  The school classified it as an explosive device.

“The school administration apparently stepped in, and I think the wheels came off at that point. I think a big mistake was made,” Doug Edsall said.

“I’m just really terrified of what could happened, and it’s just been real emotional for myself and Graham of what we’ve been through,” said Casey Edsall, suspended student.

The school refused to answer any questions. Instead they sent WJZ a statement that says the students broke state law: “The criminal law does not have an exemption for any class of students. Disciplinary decisions are often controversial.”

You need to download the latest version of flash player to use this player

Need Help?“To charge him for having a deadly weapon for a two-inch pocket knife is ridiculous,” Laura Dennis said. “It’s such a waste of everyone’s time and energy.”

The Maryland state school board is already taking a look at whether zero-tolerance policies go too far.

The parents of these students say the administrators’ actions here are out of line and their sons have never been in trouble and didn’t intend to harm anyone.

“You can hide behind a zero-tolerance policy. But I do believe that common sense needs to be applied, and unfortunately was not done in this instance,” Doug Edsall said.

“It makes me feel like I can’t trust people in a position of authority like that,” Graham said. “It’s scary to think that they would do something to a kid that doesn’t have any problems.”

The students have served their suspension. It’s unclear what might happen next, though, with these charges.

The school administrators say a team of staff members evaluated the case before making a decision about the punishment.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
That's bad luck.  But guns at school must have a zero tolerance policy. 
Abandon every hope...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Q.... why were they searching the lacrosse team bus?

Methinks the story wasn't so innocent... the police don't just randomly pull sports teams from buses, empty their bags, and slap on the cuffs.

I'm betting the story will come out that the boy threatened some new dude now dating his ex girlfriend with the knife, etc... You know, some BS drama that be brought upon himself. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Methinks the story wasn't so innocent... the police don't just randomly pull sports teams from buses, empty their bags, and slap on the cuffs.

I'm betting the story will come out that the boy threatened some new dude now dating his ex girlfriend with the knife, etc... You know, some BS drama that be brought upon himself. 

;D  ;D  ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V

LMFAO where do the CT's stop with you bro?

the cops didnt search the bus...school authorities searched their bags...then the cops were called to take them away...