Author Topic: Planet Fitness Gym - Get out, all you personal trainers!  (Read 24580 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: Planet Fitness Gym - Get out, all you personal trainers!
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2010, 10:31:21 PM »
I don't think you can say that coach... i've observed the personal trainers at my gym a lot and they never have their clients doing productive workouts.  on the other hand, maybe they think the client would just rebel if they had them do a hard workout?

i dunno, but it seems to me trainer incompetence is largely accountable for a lot more than .5% of failed PT relationships.

but i agree that many people could really use a personal trainer.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
Oh c'mon, thats like saying when I got my divorce(s) that all I had to do was do legal research and get the same results. I guaranfreakingtee I could (or any good trainer) could give you training scenarios that you couldn't answer. It's not all about weight training and diet.

When you were younger and started training and competing, did you use a personal trainer?  Motivated people learn on their own and stay consistent with their training, which is worth a lot more than any advice a trainer can give. 

newmom

« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
99.5% of the time it's because the client doesn't listen to the trainer. When you have someone that's only with you 2-3 hours per week and the trainer gives that person instructions on what to do in between sessions, how is that the trainers fault?

when they see it hasn't changed is my guess. Sure it's really the individuals fault but either that trainer is just out for the old mighty dollar

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2010, 11:56:26 AM »
When you were younger and started training and competing, did you use a personal trainer?  Motivated people learn on their own and stay consistent with their training, which is worth a lot more than any advice a trainer can give. 

During that time there were no such thing as personal trainers, we had magazines to copy from, I was fortunate enough to have a football coach who knew how to train and taught us the correct way as far as technique, form, etc. When I started training in an actual gym, there were other members there to help as well as training partners, that doesn't mean they were just as educated as the trainers today, they just knew what exercise trained what muscle Ex: bench press/chest, squats/legs and so on. There was no "functional training" and the know one knew what a "stabilizer" muscle was let alone knowing how to train it and what it's actual function in the human body was for.

Since I began training athletes and looking back, we trained on very little machines except for the nautilus and 90 degree leg press, 45 degree leg presses didn't really start making their way into gyms until the early 80's and training without the use of a lot of machines, people were thicker and stronger because more muscle had to be recruited in the movement.

Damn, I just turned this into a ramble..haha!

Stavios

« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »
So you think there isn't ONE good personal trainer out there?

yes, but they are not working at planet fitness for 15$ an hour

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2010, 06:50:46 PM »
yes, but they are not working at planet fitness for 15$ an hour

Good fucking answer. If my clients don't get the results they are expecting, they are not using the knowledge and direction provided.

They aren't gonna get shit, well, yes they are going to get shit-- they get what they pay for.

This whole Planet Fuckhole B.S has absolutely nothing to do with legit personal training.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2010, 07:06:42 PM »
well put

by the way wtf is PF?

Sorry...  PF=Planet Fitness
~

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »
Planet Fitness CEO Mike Grondahl does things—and says things—a little bit differently than the typical company CEO.

Take, for instance, the press release Newington, NH-based Planet Fitness submitted last year announcing that Gulf Oil CFO Jayne Conway had been hired by Planet Fitness for the same position.

“The chief financial officer from Gulf Oil moving to Planet Fitness? Who’d a thunk it?” Grondahl said in the company statement.

The word “thunk” was not included in a letter Grondahl wrote to Planet Fitness owners last November. But a lot of other interesting verbiage was.

Grondahl informed his franchisees in the letter that Planet Fitness was ending personal training at all its clubs, beginning last month with its corporate-owned clubs. Planet Fitness franchisees will have the remainder of the first quarter of this year to phase out personal training.

Planet Fitness will still have on-staff trainers providing free training in small groups but they no longer will be allowed to conduct one-on-one training during non-shift hours. The company also will no longer allow non-staff trainers to pay a monthly fee to train clients at the club.

“The decision to end personal training has been long and arduous,” Grondahl wrote. “It goes right to the essence of our business model. We’ve always tried to keep personal training to a minimum at Planet Fitness. But the problems related to having trainers in our gyms have never completely gone away.”

That news definitely caught the industry’s attention, and some of Grondahl’s comments added fuel to the fire.

“Most of the people doing personal training are just renting friends,” Grondahl wrote. “For us to be selling personal training is a fraud and downright condescending to anyone who can breathe.”

Grondahl concluded the letter with this line: “A lot of people will say we are dead wrong with this historic move. But the world was flat once, and who the hell needs a friend for 50 bucks an hour?”

Christopher Columbus he isn’t, but Grondahl created a world of feedback with his remarks. He says that he’s been too busy to see any of the industry’s comments posted on Club Industry’s website.

“I’ve got bigger problems than what they’re saying about me on the Internet,” Grondahl says. “I’m sure I’m not the most popular guy in the industry.”

Although the tone of his letter was intended only for Planet Fitness franchisees, Grondahl says he is not wavering on his decision, which, he adds, was not based on reducing costs.

“We had people complain about personal trainers coming up and soliciting them on the floor,” Grondahl says. “We’re an organization that’s priding ourselves on not having salesmen, yet we’re letting personal trainers go out on the floor and try and sell. It just doesn’t make sense in our model.”

Grondahl also says the growth of low-price competitors that have an element of personal training, such as the Crunch franchise clubs—run by Mark Mastrov’s New Evolution Ventures—and the new Blink clubs introduced by Equinox, played heavily in the decision.

“Had it not been for Mark Mastrov coming and Blink coming, I may not have made this decision,” Grondahl says. “It’s made me get more focused on what we have to do and stay true to our model. Competition is going to make us better.”

The decision by Planet Fitness has once again made personal training a hot-button topic in the industry. Specifically, the discussion centers on the value of a personal trainer and the requirements to attain certification.

Greg Justice, the founder and creator of the Corporate Boot Camp System and AYC Health & Fitness, Prairie Village, KS, supports Planet Fitness’ decision to end personal training. Justice says club operators, particularly at larger clubs, do not train their personal training staff properly, which gives the industry a bad reputation.

“I actually blame the big-box clubs and some of the certifying agencies more than the trainers, as they have set the bar so low that almost anyone qualifies as a trainer,” Justice says. “Some of the certifying agencies are nothing more than ‘puppy mills,’ pushing out as many trainers as they can, just to make a buck.”

Lance Smith, a partner in Live Fit, Augusta, GA, says Grondahl made the right decision for his business model. It’s the way Grondahl chose to explain his decision that does not sit well with Smith.

Smith says personal training is not a “fraud” as Grondahl called it in his letter. Many people who come into a club want or need some form of coaching, he adds.

“Imagine going to your doctor,” Smith says, “and having him or her tell you, ‘Go ahead and use my office all you want for a rock-bottom rate, but I won’t be able to help you. You can go through a one-hour group class on how to use my equipment, though.’”

Grondahl says personal training has its place, just not at Planet Fitness.

“I think that was the big misconception there,” he says. “It definitely has its place. Shoot, someday I’ll probably get a personal trainer, if I can ever get out of the office. I certainly do need one. But I sure as [heck] won’t have one at a Planet Fitness because we do a high-volume business. You don’t need somebody [doing] personal training on the floor.”

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2011, 06:50:54 AM »
I like it. Never been to Planet Fitness but personal training is a scam and most personal trainers are fuking idiots. The people who pay for these idiots to train them are even worse. Personal trainers are typically insecure people that need to feel power over people, and at the end of the day feel "important." They don't give a rats ass about the person getting results; they just burn to have someone needing them.
I cant cosign that. Personal trainers have helped my mom drop like 50 lbs in 2 years. She had the motivation to go to the gym but she just didnt know what to do. what order to exercise in, how to split her routine. And while in the movement she needed some tweeking.
But now i would say its the same as teachers. Some good ones and some bad ones.