Author Topic: Big tax hike in Oregon results in substantially less revenue (Rich people left)  (Read 3700 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Big tax hike in Oregon results in substantially less revenue
Washington Examiner ^ | 12/22/10 | Mark Hemingway

________________________ ________________________ _____________________

Last year, voters in Oregon voted to raise taxes on the highest income earners in the state, giving Oregon the highest tax rates of any state in the nation. It hasn't worked out too well for Oregonians, according to the Wall Street Journal:

In 2009 the state legislature raised the tax rate to 10.8% on joint-filer income of between $250,000 and $500,000, and to 11% on income above $500,000. Only New York City’s rate is higher. Oregon’s liberal voters ratified the tax increase on individuals and another on businesses in January of this year, no doubt feeling good about their “shared sacrifice.”

Congratulations. Instead of $180 million collected last year from the new tax, the state received $130 million. The Eugene Register-Guard newspaper reports that after the tax was raised “income tax and other revenue collections began plunging so steeply that any gains from the two measures seemed trivial.”

One reason revenues are so low is that about one-quarter of the rich tax filers seem to have gone missing. The state expected 38,000 Oregonians to pay the higher tax, but only 28,000 did.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonexaminer.com ...

________________________ ________________________ _________________

Typical leftist shit in action.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Same garbage happened in Maryland. 

Fact:  Liberalism never works. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Bump. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
how do you know they went missing

maybe they just didn't have the higher income this year (or any income for that matter)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
how do you know they went missing

maybe they just didn't have the higher income this year (or any income for that matter)

::)  ::)

Same thing happened in Maryland when they tried this crap.   And guss what?  The tyical liberal dolts always start new programs based on antipated reenues from these schemes that convenietly never seems to materialize as people are already taxed to the max and sick of paying these punitive extortions. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

::)  ::)

Same thing happened in Maryland when they tried this crap.   And guss what?  The tyical liberal dolts always start new programs based on antipated reenues from these schemes that convenietly never seems to materialize as people are already taxed to the max and sick of paying these punitive extortions. 

I love living in CA and I'd never move to TX or some similar state just to save a few buck in taxes

to each his own

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I love living in CA and I'd never move to TX or some similar state just to save a few buck in taxes

to each his own

Do you even read the news as to the fiscal shape your state is in? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Do you even read the news as to the fiscal shape your state is in? 

I do

I guess you're suggesting I should sell my house, shut down my business (or try to re-establish it elsewhere), say goodbye to all my friends and run away

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
West coast continues to get ravaged by the failure of uber-liberalism...... sad.....beautiful part of the country going down the shitter.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I do

I guess you're suggesting I should sell my house, shut down my business (or try to re-establish it elsewhere), say goodbye to all my friends and run away

No, but for you to remain a lib in spite of all of the failure that surrounds you with regard to the policies your crazy state has followed for decades seems a little strange.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
No, but for you to remain a lib in spite of all of the failure that surrounds you with regard to the policies your crazy state has followed for decades seems a little strange.   

so you're saying I shouldn't leave yet it seems "strange" that I would stay???

have you considered the possibility that maybe money is not my primary motivation for every decision in life?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
so you're saying I shouldn't leave yet it seems "strange" that I would stay???

have you considered the possibility that maybe money is not my primary motivation for every decision in life?

Didnt say it was, but California seems to be the case book for failure on many other things as well.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Didnt say it was, but California seems to be the case book for failure on many other things as well.   

well we're one of the largest economies on the planet and have many problem that are similar to other states and other nations for that matter.

When my friends and family visit from Texas and Georgia they always say how great the weather is (regardless of the time of year), what nice area I live in etc...   Even if I didn't own a home I would still want to live here. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
well we're one of the largest economies on the planet and have many problem that are similar to other states and other nations for that matter.

When my friends and family visit from Texas and Georgia they always say how great the weather is (regardless of the time of year), what nice area I live in etc...   Even if I didn't own a home I would still want to live here. 

I don't doubt that at all, but your state is still going down.   

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
My brother and his family bailed on Cali a couple of years ago.....his wife was born and raised there.....  he is very happy in Kentuck, of all places, now.

tonymctones

• Getbig V

Im sure you could find a place that had comprable whether

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
My brother and his family bailed on Cali a couple of years ago.....his wife was born and raised there.....  he is very happy in Kentuck, of all places, now.

Many businesses are fleeing to colorado, NM, NV, AZ etc because of th anti business climate in Cali.  The public sector unions are killing off the private sector, illegals running wild, and on and on.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Good.  Class warfare = fail.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
Many businesses are fleeing to colorado, NM, NV, AZ etc because of th anti business climate in Cali.  The public sector unions are killing off the private sector, illegals running wild, and on and on.  

My sis-in-law owned 2 Real Estate offices and a mtg brokerage company.....had been in the industry for 15 yrs, but you can imagine what that was like for the last few years....

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Do what Rush did. HEAD TO THE SUNSHINE STATE!!

Florida: All of the beauty of California (and more), with little of the left-winged foolishness.

Warm weather - GOT IT!!

Palm Trees - CHECK!!

Beautiful women - all around, especially in the 3-0-5.

Beaches - Take your pick!!

Disney - No problem!!

NO STATE TAXES - HALLELUJAH!!!

And speaking of which, plenty of places of worship for you and your family, if you so please. And religious private schools, should you find the public school system less-than-desirable (like me).

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Good.  Class warfare = fail.

do the rich ever wage war on the poor and middle class?

MM2K

• Getbig IV
No. They try to make a profit. Is giving people jobs considered warfare?
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
No. They try to make a profit. Is giving people jobs considered warfare?

so the concept of class warfare is always a "poor against rich" thing?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
so the concept of class warfare is always a "poor against rich" thing?
in this day in time, what is it you think that the rich do to declare warfare on the poor straw? serious question just curious

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
in this day in time, what is it you think that the rich do to declare warfare on the poor straw? serious question just curious

is the concept of class warfare always a "poor against rich" thing?