Author Topic: Obama's Leadership  (Read 66051 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Obama's Leadership
« Reply #425 on: September 05, 2016, 05:39:42 PM »
O- sharpton needs to keep is plantation slaves happy by tossing them a bone like this

Yeah.  He has been doing it for his entire presidency. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #426 on: December 26, 2016, 09:56:01 AM »
He couldn't work through the legislative process, so he his legacy is largely tied in executive orders.  An absolute leadership failure.

Spree of Obama actions revives GOP concerns over ‘midnight’ regs, agenda
By Fred Lucas 
Published December 26, 2016 
FoxNews.com

A flurry of big decisions out of the Obama administration just weeks before President-elect Donald Trump takes office has rekindled Republican concerns about President Obama’s plans for jamming through so-called “midnight regulations” and other leftover items from his wish-list on his way out the door.

In the last week alone, the Obama administration blocked future oil and gas leases in swaths of the Arctic and Atlantic oceans; granted a record number of pardons and commutations for a single day; and scrapped a dormant registry for male immigrants from a list of largely Muslim countries.

Defense officials told Fox News there is an effort underway to transfer up to 22 additional detainees out of Guantanamo Bay. And Obama’s ambassador to the United Nations stunned Israel on Friday by abstaining on a Security Council measure condemning settlement activity, allowing it to pass.

And Obama still has a month left in office. The most recent announcements were made while the first family was on vacation in Hawaii – leaving unclear what Obama has in store for when he gets back to Washington.

GINGRICH: OBAMA IN 'DESPERATE FRENZY'

Hanging over any final actions is the likelihood that Trump, once in office, will roll back many of them. “The things he’s done this week will be turned around,” former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said of Obama on “Fox News Sunday.” “He’s in this desperate frenzy.”

But Democrats are urging the outgoing president to pursue further actions, as the administration weighs its next steps.

Among the possibilities:

Sixty-four House Democrats recently asked Obama to use his pardon power to preserve his Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, which spared millions of illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children from deportation. Led by Rep. Luis Gutiérrez, D-Ill., the lawmakers asked Obama in a letter to “exercise your Constitutional authority to provide pardons to young people who are American in every way but on paper.” The goal is to make it more difficult for Trump to potentially deport them.

The White House already has teed up the strong possibility of more clemency for nonviolent drug offenders and others. After Obama pardoned 78 people and granted another 153 commutations on Monday, White House Counsel Neil Eggleston said he expects “more grants of both commutations and pardons before [Obama] leaves office.”

Former President Jimmy Carter has called on Obama to go further in the Middle East and recognize a Palestinian state before leaving office. In a New York Times op-ed, he wrote: “The simple but vital step this administration must take before its term expires on Jan. 20 is to grant American diplomatic recognition to the state of Palestine.”

The White House has expressed reluctance to take some of these steps.

White House spokesman Eric Schultz said “there is a process at the Department of Justice to review pardon applications” and “the president has said he is not going to do anything to circumvent that process.” As for Carter’s appeal, Schultz said, “I don't think [Carter’s] views are new today, so I don't have any new positions or views from us on that.”

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest also said recently that any executive actions the president takes at this stage likely were in the works before the November election.

“What I can rule out are any sort of hastily added executive actions that weren’t previously considered that would just be tacked on at the end,” Earnest said.

Regulation ‘Finish Line’

While Obama weighs his last batch of policy decisions, many regulations already are coming through the pipeline. The final plans reportedly include as many as 98 regulations classified as “economically significant,” meaning each would cost the economy $100 million through compliance and consumer impact.

According to an analysis by the conservative American Action Forum, based on the Federal Register agenda, the administration is eyeing $44.1 billion in “midnight regulations” – or rules pushed in the final two months of an outgoing administration.

“This has been the most active December ever for regulations,” Sam Batkins, AAF’s director of regulatory affairs.

Gina McCarthy, administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, didn’t conceal her eagerness in a staff memo sent after the election. “As I’ve mentioned to you before, we’re running—not walking—through the finish line of President Obama’s presidency,” McCarthy wrote.

By late November, the EPA announced stronger greenhouse gas emission standards, pushing 54.1 miles-per-gallon fuel efficiency standards for cars and light trucks for model years 2022-2025. In mid-November, the Interior Department finalized a rule to cut methane emissions during oil and natural gas production on federal lands.

Among regulations expected to take effect: the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services plans to make it easier for employers to sponsor highly skilled immigrants in the country; the Education Department is working on student debt relief at for-profit colleges; and on the financial services side, the Federal Reserve and the Securities and Exchange Commission are working on matters such as executive pay and mutual fund management.

According to an administration official, the number of active rules at the end of this administration still is 15 percent lower than at the end of the George W. Bush administration. The administration also notes that some economically significant regulations help the economy.

Republican Roll-Back

Congressional Republicans are bent on stopping or reversing the onslaught of new rules.

In a Dec. 5 letter, 20 Republican senators asked Obama to “honor the will of the American people and refrain from working on or issuing any new, non-emergency regulations while carrying out your remaining term in office.”

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., in a Nov. 15 letter to federal agency heads signed by other House committee chairmen, asserted, “we will work with our colleagues to ensure that Congress scrutinizes your actions—and, if appropriate, overturns them.”

The Congressional Review Act of 1996 allows Congress, with the president’s signature, to rescind regulations and prohibit agencies from imposing rules that are substantively the same.

That, however, would have limits even when Trump takes office, Batkins said.

“Congress can rescind regulations when it gets back, using the CRA, but the House and Senate will be working on health care, the economy and infrastructure,” Batkins told FoxNews.com. “Congress has a lot on its plate. Of the 100 or more midnight regulations that could fly through, there probably won’t be more than a dozen they would be interested in repealing.”

Asked at a November press conference about GOP calls to hold off on finalizing rules in his final weeks in office, Obama defended their rulemaking pace: “The regulations that we have issued are ones that we've been working on for a very long time. … These aren't things that we've been surprising people with.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/12/26/spree-obama-actions-revives-gop-concerns-over-midnight-regs-agenda.html?refresh=true

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #427 on: June 23, 2017, 12:52:44 PM »
And here I thought this thread was dead.  This man is a lousy leader even in retirement.  He needs to shut the heck up and go make his overpriced speeches. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/23/obamacare-repeal-push-draws-obama-into-fight.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #428 on: June 23, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »
And here I thought this thread was dead.  This man is a lousy leader even in retirement.  He needs to shut the heck up and go make his overpriced speeches. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/23/obamacare-repeal-push-draws-obama-into-fight.html

He is a gay failed communist think andbloser

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #429 on: June 23, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »

All I can say is the Republicans had better actually repeal Obamacare or they are potentially destroying themselves. The founder of Obamacare laughed about the bill as it is basically the same except now the Republicans will be the ones to blame. Playing right into the democrats hands as now they can both criticize the "new" bill viciously and won't be looked at as to the ones to blame when the new Obamacare fails as well.

Pandering to people who didnt vote them in. Crazy.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #430 on: June 23, 2017, 04:59:21 PM »
All I can say is the Republicans had better actually repeal Obamacare or they are potentially destroying themselves. The founder of Obamacare laughed about the bill as it is basically the same except now the Republicans will be the ones to blame. Playing right into the democrats hands as now they can both criticize the "new" bill viciously and won't be looked at as to the ones to blame when the new Obamacare fails as well.

Pandering to people who didnt vote them in. Crazy.

The Republicans in DC are turning out to be a joke.  They should have had a bill teed up and ready to go the moment Trump was sworn in.  No excuse. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #431 on: July 24, 2017, 11:14:13 AM »
The Republicans in DC are turning out to be a joke.  They should have had a bill teed up and ready to go the moment Trump was sworn in.  No excuse. 

This is true. It's quite sad they have nothing ready except for a bunch of shit.

I don't expect Obamacare is going anywhere. It's shit, but it's a smaller pile of shit than the Republican plans.

They won't get a full repeal. Too many people will lose healthcare and the trend of the country is to take care of people who need it.
There has been time with Obamacare in place to kind of show that a lot of the things like "Death Panels" aren't going to happen. The Republicans should have some smart people to resolve this, but apparently they are not talking to them.

My thought is to fix Welfare and then move welfare money into allowing everyone into medicaid if they want and that would fix a lot of the problems. The Republicans have had zero real plan other than to just complain about the fact that Obamacare is a problem. Simplistic, but I think it could be worked.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #432 on: July 24, 2017, 11:16:13 AM »
This is true. It's quite sad they have nothing ready except for a bunch of shit.

I don't expect Obamacare is going anywhere. It's shit, but it's a smaller pile of shit than the Republican plans.

They won't get a full repeal. Too many people will lose healthcare and the trend of the country is to take care of people who need it.
There has been time with Obamacare in place to kind of show that a lot of the things like "Death Panels" aren't going to happen. The Republicans should have some smart people to resolve this, but apparently they are not talking to them.

My thought is to fix Welfare and then move welfare money into allowing everyone into medicaid if they want and that would fix a lot of the problems. The Republicans have had zero real plan other than to just complain about the fact that Obamacare is a problem. Simplistic, but I think it could be worked.

Your idea makes since, although I will not be holding my breath waiting for them to get anything productive done. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #433 on: July 24, 2017, 03:07:42 PM »
Your idea makes since, although I will not be holding my breath waiting for them to get anything productive done. 

I think we should treat anyone who is a welfare recipient exactly like normal working people in the sense that if you have more kids, you make it work with what you have.

I am willing to help the poor, with expectations.

1. Try to work.
2. You get a cap of 2 children. So let's use some general numbers. Lets say you receive 750 dollars a month per child in assistance. If you have a second child, you get another 750. After that, if you have a third child, you're out of luck. You get no more money. Have a fourth, still nothing else. Same with however many children you seem to have. This will eliminate the Welfare state in that sort of instance. We all work, if we work, and have more kids, your boss doesn't just give you more money to take care of the new child. You make it work yourself.

That's what we should do.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #434 on: July 24, 2017, 03:11:17 PM »
I think we should treat anyone who is a welfare recipient exactly like normal working people in the sense that if you have more kids, you make it work with what you have.

I am willing to help the poor, with expectations.

1. Try to work.
2. You get a cap of 2 children. So let's use some general numbers. Lets say you receive 750 dollars a month per child in assistance. If you have a second child, you get another 750. After that, if you have a third child, you're out of luck. You get no more money. Have a fourth, still nothing else. Same with however many children you seem to have. This will eliminate the Welfare state in that sort of instance. We all work, if we work, and have more kids, your boss doesn't just give you more money to take care of the new child. You make it work yourself.

That's what we should do.

Completely agree.  This shouldn't be some kind of lifetime, expanding benefit for able-bodied people.  In addition to what you propose, I'd put a time limit on benefits (except for disabled people). 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #435 on: July 24, 2017, 03:21:05 PM »
Completely agree.  This shouldn't be some kind of lifetime, expanding benefit for able-bodied people.  In addition to what you propose, I'd put a time limit on benefits (except for disabled people). 

I can see that as an addition. It makes sense to me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #436 on: January 09, 2018, 11:14:31 AM »
Yeah we know. 

Former British PM David Cameron thought Barack Obama was one of the 'most narcissistic and self-absorbed people' he had ever met
Steve Hilton tried to shatter view Barack Obama and David Cameron were close
He tore into the former US President for thinking he was the smartest in the room
But David Cameron's spokesman strongly denied claim of tension between pair
By KATE FERGUSON, POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 8 January 2018

David Cameron thought Barack Obama was one of the 'most narcissistic, self-absorbed people' he had ever dealt with, his former strategy guru has claimed.

While in office the two leaders had a cosy bromance and were pictured high-fiving and playing rounds of golf and ping pong together.

But Steve Hilton tore into Mr Obama for thinking he was 'smarter' than everyone else in the room.

And he claimed that his old boss Mr Cameron would get wound up by the ex President's self absorption.

Hilton, who was Mr Cameron's adviser when he entered Downing Street but later parted way with him and moved to Silicon Valley where his wife, Rachel Whetstone was working first for Google, then Uber, and now Facebook as a communications executive.

Hilton is also hosting a Fox News show on Sundays called The Next Revolution and used it to jump into the aftermath of the publication of the explosive book Fire and Fury, on Donald Trump's time in the White House.

The former Downing Street adviser was highly critical of Mr Obama and said: 'My old boss, former British prime minister David Cameron, thought Obama was one of the most narcissistic, self-absorbed people he'd ever dealt with.

'Obama never listened to anyone, always thought he was smarter than every expert in the room, and treated every meeting as an opportunity to lecture everyone else.

'This led to real-world disasters, like Syria and the rise of Isis.'

But the claims were immediately slapped down by a spokesman for the former Prime Minister who said they do not reflect his views.

Mr Hilton made the shocking claim as he railed against 'elitists' for criticising Donald Trump and claiming he is unfit to hold office.

He said: 'For them, it's all about style and tone, not substance and results. Donald Trump offends the elites aesthetically, like a piece of art that's not to their taste.

'They can afford to do that because they live in a world of booming neighbourhoods, delightful hipster eateries and everyone they know employed in the virtual world of the knowledge economy.

'They don't see what's going on in the actual economy. Whatever his mental state, [Trump] has achieved more for working Americans in one year than his predecessors did in eight, or 16, frankly.'

The viewpoint pushed by Hilton on Sunday is one he has been aggressively putting forward for months.

On Sunday he said: 'Every supporter of President Trump should understand one thing about this book, the argument that Donald Trump is mentally unfit is not Michael Wolff's opinion, it's the opinion of some of the people closest to the president.

'I said back in the summer when I first learned what these aides and hangers-on were saying to Wolff, that the president is surrounded by too many two-faced self-serving Muppets who say one thing in public and another behind the president's back.'

That was an apparent dig at Steve Bannon, who until the publication of the book in which he openly attacked the White House, had been close to Mr Trump - rather similar to Mr Hilton's relationship to Mr Cameron.

Mr Cameron and Mr Obama had been understood to get on well together while in office, and were  pictured together playing ping-pong and watching a basketball game.

The former Tory leader once said of the the President: 'Yes, he sometimes calls me bro.'

But their special relationship deteriorated and Mr Obama later criticised Mr Cameron for failing to do enough to intervene in Libya saying he had been 'distracted by a range of other things'.

Mr Hilton fell out with Mr Cameron during the EU referendum campaign after the strategist announced he was backing Brexit.

A spokesman for Cameron said: 'This does not represent David Cameron's opinion at all and could not be further from the truth.

'David Cameron's views on President Obama – whether in public or in private – are the same: he considers Barack Obama a hugely accomplished president, a great partner for Britain and a good friend to our country and to him personally.' 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5247473/Hilton-David-Cameron-thought-Obama-narcissistic.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #437 on: November 28, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
He has taken a number of vacations, including pretty much every holiday, and has not spent one of them with the troops.  I think he can show a great deal of leadership by spending Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. down range.  Instead, he does things like spend Christmas on the one of nicest beaches on earth, takes a small break to go meet with Marines on one of the nicest military installations in the country (location wise).  I am not impressed. 

Obama, military mingle
The president visits service members and their families at the Kaneohe Marine base
By Craig Gima
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Dec 26, 2010

President Barack Obama took time out of a quiet Christmas with family, friends and basketball to greet servicemen and women during their Christmas dinner on the Marine Corps Base Hawaii yesterday afternoon.

The president and first lady Michelle Obama posed for pictures, shook hands, hugged children and picked up babies. The president even joked about his busted lip.

"I don't think he left before he got a chance to shake hands with everyone who was there," said Maj. Alan Crouch, the public affairs officer for the base. "He seemed appreciative of the service members and family members. It seemed like he got a lot out of it, as well."

The unannounced visit to Anderson Hall happened at about 3:30 p.m. but may not have been much of a surprise. Obama visited with service members at the same dining hall at the same base at about the same times during his last two vacations in Hawaii.

About 200 service members and their families got to meet the president and first lady.

Marines from Kaneohe were part of the surge in Afghanistan ordered by Obama last year. About 1,400 Marines—the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment and a helicopter squadron—deployed to Helmand province in 2009. Some of the Marines went directly from Iraq to Afghanistan to be part of the surge.

Marines and sailors from the 3rd Battalion, 3rd Regiment just returned from Afghanistan earlier this month.

The 3rd Battalion, which left Hawaii in May, lost at least three Marines during the seven-month deployment in the Nawa district.

The base's three infantry battalions rotate to southern Afghanistan. The 2nd Battalion is back in Helmand.

The president and his wife spent more than an hour shaking hands and hugging service members who had arrived for a Christmas dinner of prime rib, turkey, ham, stuffing, potatoes, vegetables, salad, pie, pastries and soft-serve ice cream.

"Hey, guys, merry Christmas. How are you?" the president asked Lisa Lao, 21, and Maha Lao, 23, sitting at a booth with their two children.

Obama picked up 3-month-old Jensen Lao and bounced him a couple of times.

"Merry Christmas, Mr. President," one little boy called out.

"Did you get everything you wanted?" Obama asked a little girl. She showed him a new bracelet and the president pointed to Michelle Obama, who also had a new bracelet, and the first lady and the little girl compared bracelets.

With U.S. troops serving in Afghanistan, Iraq and other outposts around the world, the Obamas also used the president's weekly radio and Internet address to encourage Americans to find ways to support service members during the holiday season.

"Let's all remind them this holiday season that we're thinking of them, and that America will forever be here for them, just as they've been there for us," the president said.

Mrs. Obama, who has made working with military families one of her priorities as first lady, said Americans don't need to be experts in military life to give back to those who serve their country. She urged the public to reach out through their schools and churches, or volunteer with organizations that support military families.

"Anybody can send a care package or prepaid calling card to the front lines, or give what's sometimes the most important gift of all: simply saying thank you," Mrs. Obama said.

As the president moved down a dining table, he encountered a large man, taller than the president, wearing a Dallas Cowboys T-shirt.

"We've got to get you on the court," Obama quipped. "I will not get an elbow in the lip if we play with this guy."

Alan Rogers, a chaplain at the base; his wife, Lisa; daughters Sarah and Laurin; and sons John and Jackson spent several minutes talking with the president and first lady about sports, school and another son—Lance Cpl. Jacob Rogers, now serving in Afghanistan.

"It was very affirming," said Sarah Rogers. "The first family recognizes all the sacrafices we make as a military family. They took the time to talk to us about our lives and our brother in Afghanistan."

The public appearance contrasts with the rest of the president's Christmas Day, spent at a luxurious oceanfront home in Kailua with his wife and daughters, Malia and Sasha. The first family celebrated Christmas with a small circle of friends and family, including some of Obama's childhood friends and the president's sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, who lives here on Oahu, the island where Obama was born and spent much of his childhood.

The Obamas dined on steak, roasted potatoes, green beans and pie, and the sports-obsessed president got a chance to relax and watch some basketball.

The president's Christmas has been far quieter than last year's holiday, when a 23-year-old Nigerian man allegedly attempted to blow up a plane bound for Detroit. The incident raised questions about the nation's terror readiness and consumed the rest of Obama's vacation.

Thus far, Obama's excursions in Hawaii have been mostly to the gym and golf course, although he skipped the gym yesterday morning. On Christmas Eve, he went to the beach with his daughters.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/20101226_Obama_military_mingle.html

And there he is, doing what leaders do. 

President Trump arrives in Afghanistan for surprise Thanksgiving visit with troops
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/president-trump-arrives-in-afghanistan-for-surprise-thanksgiving-visit-with-troops