Author Topic: Montreal Screw Job: Work or Shoot?  (Read 15017 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Montreal Screw Job: Work or Shoot?
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »
Nope. Just engaging in a topic that's still being debated, over 13 years later.

Your explanation is rather flimsy. Hart's not wanting to lose to Michaels in Canada had nothing to do with the Anti-American angle.

It has everything to do with his loathing of Michaels, at the time.

Sorry to disappoint you! McWay loves the ladies, particularly the one I married and with whom I have a bouncing baby boy.
Not at all. been watching vividly for twenty plus years and I have sources that work for WWE. Thanks and congrats on your baby boy.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2011, 05:43:35 PM »
I'm not sure either way, and I doubt we'll ever know.  My opinion on a few points though:

- If it was a work, I can't see them leaving it for such a length of time before bringing it back into the storyline.  Why not do it for Bret's HOF induction instead?

- Bret punching Vince and there being no lawsuit doesn't really hit me as being evidence either way.  Who was there when it happened?  And what was stopping Bret from claiming Vince laid hands on him first?  Also, Vince could have initially decided to take legal action, then thought about it, and realised that this could be the perfect opportunity to take the company to the next level.  A lawsuit would drag out, cost him time and money, and maybe he just couldn't be bothered?

- One thing that makes me think it's more likely to be a shoot, is that the repercussions could so easily have gone the other way.  If WCW/Bret had played it better when he went over, they could have been the ones to make that step, instead of the birth of 'Mr McMahon'.  Vince would have known that, and wouldn't have willfully handed over a golden opportunity like that.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2011, 01:08:14 PM »
That's true. On the flip side, if it was a work, Bret was probably furious that Owen was made to do a stupid stunt like that in the first place, and then legit bad blood between then came about. Everyone make a lot of good points, but in an industry where almost everyone talks about everything and anybody, I think if it was all a storyline it someone would have let it slip by now.

Didn't Owen's widow claim that McMahon made Owen be the Blue Blazer again, because he wouldn't do a storyline with his having a love affair with Debra, to split up the Jeff Jarrett & Owen Hart tag team?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2011, 01:11:29 PM »
Didn't Owen's widow claim that McMahon made Owen be the Blue Blazer again, because he wouldn't do a storyline with his having a love affair with Debra, to split up the Jeff Jarrett & Owen Hart tag team?

Interesting...I never heard that but often wondered why Owen was resorted to the "b Blue Blazer" gimmick.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2011, 01:18:51 PM »
In general terms, Bret has stated that Owen despised the raunchy content of the show, and it was agreed that he would resurrect the Blazer gimmick as a hokey, yet effective way, to avoid engaging in the sleezy angles.

I've never heard Bret go into any specifics of those angles, but the above is certainly believable.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2011, 05:28:44 AM »
In general terms, Bret has stated that Owen despised the raunchy content of the show, and it was agreed that he would resurrect the Blazer gimmick as a hokey, yet effective way, to avoid engaging in the sleezy angles.

I've never heard Bret go into any specifics of those angles, but the above is certainly believable.

One claim is that Owen was to wrestle in a match with Goldust, in which Goldust put his hands down Owen's trunks.

Owen (and Bret) took issues with a number of the storylines, even those that didn't involve them (an example of which was the aforementioned lesbian angle with Marlena and Sable, to promote a Goldust-Marc Mero feud).

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2011, 05:32:09 AM »
One claim is that Owen was to wrestle in a match with Goldust, in which Goldust put his hands down Owen's trunks.

Owen (and Bret) took issues with a number of the storylines, even those that didn't involve them (an example of which was the aforementioned lesbian angle with Marlena and Sable, to promote a Goldust-Marc Mero feud).

Scott Hall refused to do this angle as well. Hell, I would refuse it too. Can you imagine Dunstin with his hands on your cock???

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2011, 05:35:20 AM »
Scott Hall refused to do this angle as well. Hell, I would refuse it too. Can you imagine Dunstin with his hands on your cock???

I remember the match at the 1996 Royal Rumble. Goldust felt up Razor, during parts of the match.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2011, 05:36:53 AM »
Not being an ass, but I wonder if Hall or Owen could have filed a "sexual harassment" type of lawsuit over that......or at the very least a hostile work environment one. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2011, 05:42:53 AM »
Not being an ass, but I wonder if Hall or Owen could have filed a "sexual harassment" type of lawsuit over that......or at the very least a hostile work environment one. 

They get whacked with chairs for a living. It doesn't get much more hostile than that.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2011, 06:02:12 AM »
They get whacked with chairs for a living. It doesn't get much more hostile than that.

haha....I'm thinking more along the lines of being told "or else" involving being groped sexually by another employee.  Would have been an interesting case/trial.  Sure Vince would say it just like an actor in a movie.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2011, 06:34:04 AM »
Not anymore. PG

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2011, 07:09:39 AM »
Not anymore. PG

They still get whacked with chairs, just not in the noggan anymore. Case in point, the Bret Hart-Mr. McMahon match at WrestleMania 26.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2011, 08:23:13 AM »
I can remember the ECW fans booing (I'm being nice) Lance Storm for delivering a "soft" chairshot to RVD during a match.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2011, 08:50:55 AM »
They still get whacked with chairs, just not in the noggan anymore. Case in point, the Bret Hart-Mr. McMahon match at WrestleMania 26.

Yes but the chair shots are not nearly as hard and with full force as they were back in 1998-2005 prior to the Benoit bullshit. I laugh at the way chair shots are done now. I 5 year old could take one and walk away.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2011, 11:26:54 AM »
Yes but the chair shots are not nearly as hard and with full force as they were back in 1998-2005 prior to the Benoit bullshit. I laugh at the way chair shots are done now. I 5 year old could take one and walk away.

This always happens when some major injury or controversy happens. Notice that WWE eased off the piledrivers, after Austin's accident in 1997. Even the Undertaker had to scale back the Tombstone Piledriver and scrapped it for a while, during his biker gimmick years.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »
Interesting...I never heard that but often wondered why Owen was resorted to the "b Blue Blazer" gimmick.

Owen didn't even want his kids to even THINK that Daddy was cheating on Mommy. He drew the line there. Bret said that Owen would do goofy gimmicks all day, if it meant not doing the sleazy stuff. Hence, he ended up being the Blue Blazer again (also as a jab at Hulk Hogan and Sting).

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2011, 11:57:37 AM »
Owen didn't even want his kids to even THINK that Daddy was cheating on Mommy. He drew the line there. Bret said that Owen would do goofy gimmicks all day, if it meant not doing the sleazy stuff. Hence, he ended up being the Blue Blazer again (also as a jab at Hulk Hogan and Sting).
He also wanted to join the fire dept and wanted to quit wrestling period. He was a family man 100% and didn't like too much time away from home. He got rejected by the fire dept and came back to wrestling full time and not long after, he died. Sad story.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »

Speaking of Owen and Sting...
Did anyone else notice that immediately after Owen's accident, WCW stopped Sting's rafter-descent gimmick?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2011, 04:59:43 AM »

Did anyone else notice that immediately after Owen's accident, WCW stopped Sting's rafter-descent gimmick?

I remember on outdoor Nitro when Sting came down into the ring from a helicopter on a cable similar to Owens. That was nuts.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2011, 05:14:11 AM »

Sure do.  That was of course a decision they made to stop doing it. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2011, 05:15:50 AM »
Sure do.  That was of course a decision they made to stop doing it. 
Whats really sad it that the man died for a 25 cent piece that failed on the cable....wow....

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2011, 05:30:31 AM »
Whats really sad it that the man died for a 25 cent piece that failed on the cable....wow....

I know, crazy huh?  And it had been checked that day, if I remember correctly.  i've always believed that when your time is up, it's up....just the strange way people die sometimes makes me believe that.  And also the times when by all accounts someone should have died, but they don't.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2011, 06:16:06 AM »
I know, crazy huh?  And it had been checked that day, if I remember correctly.  i've always believed that when your time is up, it's up....just the strange way people die sometimes makes me believe that.  And also the times when by all accounts someone should have died, but they don't.
From what i've heard, Davey tried to talk Owen out of it but Owen insisted on doing it. Very sad.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2011, 06:28:59 AM »
From what i've heard, Davey tried to talk Owen out of it but Owen insisted on doing it. Very sad.

Very sad.  I was watching the event live on PPV with some buddies.  And at first, just like everybody else watching on TV, we thought it was a work......that was just a gut dropping thing to happen.