Author Topic: Montreal Screw Job: Work or Shoot?  (Read 15069 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Montreal Screw Job: Work or Shoot?
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2011, 06:36:01 AM »
Very sad.  I was watching the event live on PPV with some buddies.  And at first, just like everybody else watching on TV, we thought it was a work......that was just a gut dropping thing to happen.
I was too. I remember the Blue Blazer interview and as his music blared the camara was starting to focus on the rafters then all of a sudden it went blank for about 1 minute then when it returned, it showed a serious look on Jerry Lawler's face and JR was trying to slowly explain what happened to the millions of viewers.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2011, 06:37:44 AM »
I was too. I remember the Blue Blazer interview and as his music blared the camara was starting to focus on the rafters then all of a sudden it went blank for about 1 minute then when it returned, it showed a serious look on Jerry Lawler's face and JR was trying to slowly explain what happened to the millions of viewers.

I actually have it on an old VHS tape. And you could just tell that the wrestlers were all kinda messed up after that. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2011, 06:40:29 AM »
I actually have it on an old VHS tape. And you could just tell that the wrestlers were all kinda messed up after that. 
Jeff Jarrett took it really bad. He actually left WWE at that point because he couldn't cope with it.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2011, 06:44:35 AM »
Jeff Jarrett took it really bad. He actually left WWE at that point because he couldn't cope with it.

I think he was on right after the incident and he couldn't finish his promo.  That had to be so tough on those guys to work the rest of the show.  I do however understand to a degree why VKM went on with the show.  That had to be the toughest call of his career.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2011, 08:17:19 AM »
I think he was on right after the incident and he couldn't finish his promo.  That had to be so tough on those guys to work the rest of the show.  I do however understand to a degree why VKM went on with the show.  That had to be the toughest call of his career.
Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Do you stop the show and piss people off who paid their money to see the show or do you keep going and offend those who believe you should have stopped the show.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2011, 11:35:08 AM »
Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Do you stop the show and piss people off who paid their money to see the show or do you keep going and offend those who believe you should have stopped the show.

Exactly.  Not to mention the PPV audience and the cable companies would probably have sued him.  I think Vince just did the best he could in a situation that nobody had dealt with before.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2011, 11:56:57 AM »
Exactly.  Not to mention the PPV audience and the cable companies would probably have sued him.  I think Vince just did the best he could in a situation that nobody had dealt with before.
I'll never forget the look on Lawler & JR's faces just after it happened. They looked as if they seen a ghost. Can you imagine? They were right there when he landed merely feet away.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2014, 07:14:42 AM »

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2014, 10:30:02 AM »
I know it's old, but great thread !!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2014, 11:47:18 AM »
I know it's old, but great thread !!

I'm quite impressed with some of the discussions we've managed to conduct over the years regarding grown men in spandex pretending to fight.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2014, 02:26:56 PM »
I'm still in no way buying that A&E was allowed to air the footage, access to everything, etc... without vkm having final say and letting them air it.  To me, that is the biggest factor to weigh.  If it was a legit "screwjob" why would he allow that?  Not to mention no lawsuit to slow Bret down from going to WCW, etc...  

Vince had signed creative control to the director and couldn't do nothing to stop it..
at the very end it was stated Vince hated the film and tried to buy it but the director
refused.. it also has been stated that Vince tried to go to court to stop it from being sold but lost and the
film was released..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »

Vince had signed creative control to the director and couldn't do nothing to stop it..
at the very end it was stated Vince hated the film and tried to buy it but the director
refused.. it also has been stated that Vince tried to go to court to stop it from being sold but lost and the
film was released..

Was that the Bret documentary, or Beyond the Mat?

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2014, 06:49:04 PM »
I heard his had issues with both..
He hasn't allowed anybody else to do so type of productions  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2014, 07:02:51 PM »
I heard his had issues with both..
He hasn't allowed anybody else to do so type of productions  ;D

Being the control freak that he is, I'm frankly surprised Vince agreed to two, let alone one.