Author Topic: who was the weightlifter......?  (Read 10867 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: who was the weightlifter......?
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »
Maybe the Persian clubs (not the dance & strip ones in LA) will become a fad in the US, like kettle bells. Kettle bells being a awkward & crude form of the common DB. Who, somehow, people thought Kettle bells were superior in that common DB.

Shh...
Don't give them any more ideas.
There's already enough tards swinging enough shit between benches when I'm trying to train.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »
Just, by accident, drop a 45 or a couple of lighter 10lb plates around your area. The noise along tends to scare the weak hearted away.

Speaking of other forms of working out; Indian clubs, etc:  Funk 51 probably know something about chest pulls or expanders. Remember reading about their use in the last century. They were popular in Europe and England. Had regular strength pulling contest, getting to over 200lb test pulls, etc. Don't know if they do that anymore. Could be steel springs or even rubber thick band types. Actually not a bad idea for the average guy to get some kind of work in. Though kind of limited to what exercises you could. In those spring contest a version of the one arm press was big, if I remember right. Don't even know if they sell then anymore in the US. Interesting though.

Bill March reminded me of one of the better exercises to improve the overhead press. The handstand pushup, with the hands on a pair of higher blocks to give more range to the movement. Feet held by a partner or have the feet leaning against a wall. Seen a lot of gymnast improve their pressing motions that way. Also add size. Can try tiger presses that way for outstanding triceps.

F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »
Just, by accident, drop a 45 or a couple of lighter 10lb plates around your area. The noise along tends to scare the weak hearted away.

That's because they're afraid one may land on them!  :)

I remember seeing chest expanders as a young kid in the early 80's.
Those and the bars with similar looking coils in the center; I forget their name, but you would hold the ends and bend it in the same manner as breaking a stick.

And, of course, who could forget these:

;D

You also mentioned tiger presses.
Are those the same things as what some folks call tiger dips?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 08:14:22 AM »
Don't know about tiger dips, so much of this stuff can go by different names. But tiger presses (the name I heard) are where a person is up side down (like a handstand position), with the forearms resting on the floor. Than a person extends the forearms up to a elbow lockout (usually). Like doing a tricep BB extension in the regular standing position. Tiger presses are mostly all tricep effort.

Paul Anderson use to have handstand presses as part of his workouts, I had read.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 08:23:38 AM »
Okay, thanks.
I've heard a few people refer to body weight push-offs or body weight extensions as "tiger dips."

What you described sounds difficult enough that I'm not surprised to have never seen anyone do them.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 08:59:39 AM »
i had a chest expander back in the day the five spring variety, they still make them some with steel springs and other with rubber tubing. york used to sell rubber ones back in the early 60's.that exercise is also called handstand pshups, of which bob goldman was a record holder of doing. bob goldman of the book, death in the locker room fame,
F