Author Topic: Photo Collection Of Dave Mastorakis  (Read 124303 times)

619Rules

Re: Photo Collection Of Dave Mastorakis
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2005, 05:23:52 PM »
Franco and Waller from the original Golds Gym.......

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2005, 05:37:27 PM »
Franco and Waller from the original Golds Gym.......

Not Waller, he never had triceps that thick.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2005, 07:38:19 PM »
Paul Grant?

619Rules

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2005, 12:28:58 AM »
Not Waller, he never had triceps that thick.

Those tri's are looking big, I dont think it is Paul Grant-Waller had Grant on size everywhere- including tri's......

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2005, 10:06:03 AM »
Marvin Eder was a Jewish gentleman from NY (The Bronx I believe) who was not only super strong in the weighted dip & chin department but was also a very heavy military presser. His BB curling was way up there also.  At that time , I've been told, the east coast BB'ers were more into the basic lifts like the dip, chin, etc with fewer sets. Lou Digni (misspelled) was another east coast BB'er with great potentional but had more interest getting into the movies out here than taking advantage of his superior BB'ing gifts.

619Rules

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2005, 01:10:43 PM »
Lou Digni (misspelled) was another east coast BB'er with great potentional but had more interest getting into the movies out here than taking advantage of his superior BB'ing gifts.

He played Hercules didn't he?

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »
I heard that Lou Digni (spell?) was in a few Italian muscle flicks but some were so bad they never reached the main movie houses here  but mostly the drive in's when they had drive in's. That what's happen to a lot of Reg Park's movies made in Italy. I one's I saw were really bad but some of those Italian actress were hot. Had some old muscle mag's given to me when I was a kid and Digni really looked top rate.

We need some old vet's who were around the Italian movie lot's when some of these sand & sandel flicks were being made. Heard there was some wild times on those sets. And I think some were made in Spain like most of the old Clint Eastwood western were made by Italian conpanys. Any Italian verson of stuntman, Bix, onlyme, etc out there?  And has anyone ever heard of a character named ED Fury who hung around the old muscle beach? My uncles said he was a whack job but funny in a strange way never the less.

Reno

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2005, 05:32:27 PM »
         The bodybuilder doing the front lat spread is Gabe Broudreaux . the scene with Franco is Mentzer [ Mike] doing a barbell curl pumping up.
          In 85 I spoke with Mentzer about Masterakis and he said they had a falling out and didn't associate any longer. Just 2 weeks before his passing I had made arrangements to come to LA to visit Mike and I asked him the same question about Masterakis in which I received the same response- hadn't seen him in years.
           I find it uninspiring that Masterakis never even sent a remembrance to Mentzer's web site apon his and Ray's passing.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2005, 06:44:58 AM »
The younger Mentzer...

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2005, 06:49:52 AM »
Guess posing at the 1978 Mr. New Hampshire. I was there and couldn't believe the size of Dave's forearms,incredible.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2005, 06:47:58 AM »
         The bodybuilder doing the front lat spread is Gabe Broudreaux . the scene with Franco is Mentzer [ Mike] doing a barbell curl pumping up.
          In 85 I spoke with Mentzer about Masterakis and he said they had a falling out and didn't associate any longer. Just 2 weeks before his passing I had made arrangements to come to LA to visit Mike and I asked him the same question about Masterakis in which I received the same response- hadn't seen him in years.
           I find it uninspiring that Masterakis never even sent a remembrance to Mentzer's web site apon his and Ray's passing.

Here's the truth straight from Dave MASStorakis...

Larry,
Who wrote the quote?  In 1985 Mike was in a crazy state of mind.  One night Julie his at this time girl friend
was being stalked by Mike so she spent the night with me in my appartment.  Mike was crazy with jealous and left me a message which could have frozen hell.  He forgave me about two years later when he realized I had done nothing wrong.
He gave me his entire clientele in 1994 when he was getting out of the personal training business. One night when Dorian was in town Mike rented a limo and he, Ray, Dorian, his wife and myself drove all around Beverly Hills,  Malibu and Santa Monica.
Many times he would invite me out for dinner.  One Thanksgiving about 1996 0r so he spent the entire day with my friends and family.
We would talk about the fact that we had been friends for so long about 35 years or so. When I moved away we spoke several times before he died. We spoke in April just two months before he died.  He told me that he was gong to donate his kidney to Ray but they discovered that his blood was clotting, so they put him on a blood thinner.  This stopped the surgery for a while.  Ray was very disappointed. Mike had just had surgery to unpinch a nerve in his neck. We spoke on the phone for about one hour.
Regarding my never writing any thing on his sight.  Well most people do not know that for months after their death I was going to be a speaker at their memorial services. I was in constant contact with his sister in PA. This kept getting posponed.  Well it never happened.  I felt for me the services would have been the best time to say my feelings about my two best friends since we were  15 years old.  I would read the messages posted on the sight and most of them seemed to continue the  rage between the HIT believers and the Non believers.  Only a few spoke from their hearts.  It seemed to me the ones who knew and loved them did not use that forum.  So I choose not to.  This person's responce is exactly the reason I DID NOT.  No one really knew my relationship with Mike except Mike and of course Ray. Let people say what they want to. I remember the early years when we would go the the movies or listen to Cheech and Chong records or just talk for hours about the future. That is the Mike Mentzer I remember the person.  His sence of humor and his intensity about life were non-compromising.
Larry I do not wish to debate this subject but feel free to quote me or use it in its entirety.
I could go on and on as you have seen me do on IronAge.  Enough is enough!!!!
Dave

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2005, 11:03:10 AM »
He seems to set the record straight

619Rules

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2005, 02:58:40 PM »
Dave set the record straight-from the source no less.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2005, 06:19:48 PM »
Got calves ?

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2005, 04:04:37 PM »
Big Mike checking out his own arms .

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2005, 04:07:05 PM »
Arnold at Mt Park 1974

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2005, 04:09:07 PM »
Good old Casey

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2005, 04:41:22 PM »
those old Nautilus Machines are classic

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2005, 04:30:34 PM »
Here's that skinny guy....

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2005, 07:07:56 PM »
Great pictures... the little guy sure was built like a brick shithouse.

619Rules

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2005, 11:45:12 PM »
Good old Casey

Naultilus Double Shoulder and Double Chest-I oved both of those machines....and you know the funniest part of that pic......see te wood paneling on the walls......thats how all the old gyms were!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2005, 08:25:54 AM »
Casey was thick even as a teen if I remember correctly.

great observation for the youngest Mr America

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2005, 03:27:12 PM »
Dave's business card.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2005, 02:49:39 PM »
even the business card is cool.  8)

It's ok.....

I've seen better

:-\

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2005, 04:35:31 PM »
JPM, Yea, I knew Ed Fury. At least I met him a couple of times. Hs real name was/is Ed Holvochik if I recall correctly and he was a very impressive bodybuilder in his time ( 50's - early 60's?)

The last time I ALMOST ran into Ed was while he was appearing in some kind of show in San Francisco. Never did get the chance at that time to look him up though.

I believe there are some photos of him on one of the better web sites. I'lldo some research.

Good to hear that name again And Lou Degni too!