Author Topic: Squats EVeryday?  (Read 6559 times)

jcguy20

• Getbig II
  • 1st round draft pick
Squats EVeryday?
« on: January 29, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »
I am a college athlete Im attending a d2 university I just transfered here and I was wondering your guys opinion on squats everyday? our S&C coach seems like he knows what he is doing but will squats everyday really make you faster? isnt that bad for your legs? we do over head squats monday with hang cleans.....tuesday regular squats.....thursday over head squats again with clean and jerk....and friday front squats. I transferred here from a d1 in texas (d1 just wasn't for me and didnt want to wait 3 years to play) even there we did not squat this much so i just wanted you guys opinions.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
Re: Squats EVeryday?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 05:25:18 PM »
it really depends on how many sets and reps. i'm sure he knows what he's doing. you can workout the entire body everyday, it depends on how many sets and reps and amount of weight.
sept 10th APF

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »
Besides sets and reps, varying the intensity (% of one rep max) is crucial if you want to be able to squat that often in a week. If all of those sessions are all out efforts then I would seriously be questioning your coach's intelligence.

jcguy20

• Getbig II
  • 1st round draft pick
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:50:15 PM »
um its not all out depends this last tuesday we had a super heavy squat day with 6 sets.....usually its 4-6 sets ranging from reps of 10-4 like if we have a 6 set day it might look like 10 8 6  5 5 4....a long those lines....

and I didnt know you could work the body everyday? i thought that was bad we arent doing heavy EVERYDAY but I do wonder his logic sometime as to why to squat everyday I know it will make you more explosive not really "faster"

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 11:01:50 PM »
Well the olympic weightlifters have been training this way for decades and they are some of the most explosive athletes in the world. Its strange to see this approach with squats though , the olympic lifts require a lot more technique than squats which is one of the reasons that they employ a high frequency protocol. On top of that ,there is very little  eccentric damage when performing olympic lifts which means that you can recover from them quicker thus allowing you to train them more often. Bottom line is , if what he has you currently doing is working then you just have to trust his judgement.

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 12:26:59 AM »
overhead squats do not count as regular, front or back, squats, so you are really squatting twice a week.  i often squat three times a week + plus throw in all the clean and jerks and snatches so your legs do 'squats' every workout, it has never been a problem for me.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 09:54:22 AM »
A few coaches suggest squats every day, usually based on a 4, or even a 5 day, workout week. Most coaches want a form of regular squatting, a variety of squatting, each workout. One legged squats and step ups (not the same) can be included. Working one leg at a time can be important in sport training, ensuring an equal balance of strength in each leg. Not having a weaker leg than the other. Almost daily leg/squatting workouts are not meant for year round training. Probably 4 to 6 weeks and than back to a more normal protocol. A stronger muscle can be a faster muscle, improving the motor impulse/firing off/reaction abilities.Though in football, it may be a question of quickness, more than speed. But each can be improved through well planned workouts.

Some Olympic coaches (started with the former Eastern Block Olympic lifters & Russians) want at least 3 (sometimes more) squatting sessions per day. Lot of stories, and videos, about Bulgarian lifters (for example), coming off the street and without any warm up, squat (very deeply) 500-600 lbs for easy reps. All squatting workouts were brief and to the point. Few sets, few reps. And not going to failure at any time, to insure steady progress.

Overhead squats are an excellent form of squatting. Usually done from a deeper starting position. They do count as an excellent movement for thighs. As are squat cleans, another great leg movement. Good Luck.

F

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 09:14:57 PM »
I am a college athlete Im attending a d2 university I just transfered here and I was wondering your guys opinion on squats everyday? our S&C coach seems like he knows what he is doing but will squats everyday really make you faster? isnt that bad for your legs? we do over head squats monday with hang cleans.....tuesday regular squats.....thursday over head squats again with clean and jerk....and friday front squats. I transferred here from a d1 in texas (d1 just wasn't for me and didnt want to wait 3 years to play) even there we did not squat this much so i just wanted you guys opinions.
I would squat no more than twice a week.......imho

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:25:38 AM »
Ridiculous !!

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 04:33:19 AM »
Ridiculous !!

What is ridiculous?  4-5 a week or twice a week?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »
WES: yes. please explain your out rage.
F