Author Topic: Best guitar solo ever...  (Read 18728 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: Best guitar solo ever...
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »
Supposedly Jimmy Page's fav solo was Steely Dans "Realin in the years"

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »
Well, dat "corny shit" sure did make Babs and Paul Williams (the writer of those lyrics) some decent cash, seeing that "Evergreen" was a major hit back in the day ;D So I take it that you prefer more gritty lyrics like these ones, "You better stay home and do as you're told, get out of the road if you want to grow old" from Sheep by Pink Floyd

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2011, 05:48:44 PM »
And Denny Dias was the guitar man in the solo from Steely Dan's Reeling in the Years.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2011, 06:01:22 PM »
Well, dat "corny shit" sure did make Babs and Paul Williams (the writer of those lyrics) some decent cash, seeing that "Evergreen" was a major hit back in the day ;D So I take it that you prefer more gritty lyrics like these ones, "You better stay home and do as you're told, get out of the road if you want to grow old" from Sheep by Pink Floyd

Just because something is popular doesn't mean its good.....as I recall the Spice Girls sold a few records in their day.

Now I'm fully aware that Paul Williams was a very accomplished lyricist. ...but I'd take Burt Bacarach , Bernie Taupin or Carol King over him...if we are sticking to "maudlin love songs" for $500.
 ;D

But as far as what I like. ..its not an" either or" thing

V Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
not a strat but still one of my favorites, solo at 1:36,

Also some nice blues soloing in this:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2011, 08:22:11 PM »
Freddy Kreuger plays great guitar solos...

Don't know if he can write though.

Fast forward to 1:26

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2011, 08:25:49 PM »
More Kroogy...

Any of you anal experts recognize the drummer? Hint... he was supposed to be in one of my "cover" bands  ;D

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2011, 08:39:14 PM »

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2011, 08:49:34 PM »

IMHO this is the best guitar solo ever laid down in a studio. Here's a little back story...

The group all dropped acid before they started recording. George Clinton(the leader of Funkadelic) told Eddie Hazel(R.I.P.) to play as if he just found out his mother died. So he proceeded to play the most emotional heart wrenching solo you're likely to ever hear. It wasn't rehearsed. It was recorded in 1 take.

Truly a gem.  Love the album cover.

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2011, 04:54:41 AM »
...played on a Strat

Sorry, I don't hear it. To me that was musically uninteresting and there was not much technical skill involved either. Even the tone was not much,,,

NN

churbro

• Getbig II
  • Don't fear death...fear a life unlived
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2011, 05:50:31 AM »

Love this track from Peter Green, a few years before he founded Fleetwood Mac.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2011, 10:17:22 AM »
And Denny Dias was the guitar man in the solo from Steely Dan's Reeling in the Years.

I thought there were two: Jeff "the Skunk" Baxter and Tommy Tedesco (at least on the studio cut)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »
You could be right man, maybe it was Skunk's riff. I think that Dias played that wicked riff in "Do it again" though. And how about the riff in "Peg" from the Aja album, was that Skunk Baxter?

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2011, 10:35:54 AM »
Carlos Santana

Eddie Van Halen

Eric Clapton

Jimi Hendrix

Don't know his name......but he played in Focus (early 70s) the song was Hocus Pocus

Jeff Beck (in a league of his own)

Joe Satriani

Jimmy Page

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2011, 07:30:16 AM »

I thought there were two: Jeff "the Skunk" Baxter and Tommy Tedesco (at least on the studio cut)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Randall

You're both wrong. The dyslexic is correct about line-up at one point of Steely Dan's career, Elliot Randall was more of a studio guy at one time so he really just played on a record and no tours. Tommy Tedesco was like this too. Why go on the road spending money and making little of it, when you can stay at home record and get session pay for 20 sessions a day (Tedesco did this fairly regularly) and you're not sleeping on a bench seat in a van somewhere?

As far as greatest solo ever? You cannot pinpoint that. You have your punk rock fan, and he'll discount a Jimmie Vaughan solo with 15 total notes because the JLV doesn't have an aggressive attack. Yngwie can play neo-classical and tear up Paganini like nobody else. But he can't (or hasn't released evidence) that he can be Joe Pass, Grant Green or the guy from Good Charlotte.

Different styles hold different values for everyone.