Author Topic: Behind the neck bb presses.  (Read 8550 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Behind the neck bb presses.
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:36:03 AM »
I did them yesterday, standing, free with a barbell.

Today im SORE in my delts, not that my delts are lacking but DAMN im going to do them every single workout, as i felt it activated all three heads.

Superior movement, i banged my head at the wall after this... for not doing this all these years...

Of course done right to avoid injury. lower the bar to the ear level and stop couple inches before locking out. Controlled reps, medium weights. no need to go heavy

Discuss.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Behind the neck bb presses.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 09:24:58 AM »
I did them yesterday, standing, free with a barbell.

Today im SORE in my delts, not that my delts are lacking but DAMN im going to do them every single workout, as i felt it activated all three heads.

Superior movement, i banged my head at the wall after this... for not doing this all these years...

Of course done right to avoid injury. lower the bar to the ear level and stop couple inches before locking out. Controlled reps, medium weights. no need to go heavy

Discuss.
id say limit injury not avoid it...my shoulders hurt just reading this...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:39:25 AM »
I haven't done BTN militaries in several years.
When I did, I always waited until the very end of my workout, by which time all three heads were thoroughly stretched and warmed up.

I'm considering trying Bradford Presses to occasionally conclude my delt sessions.
My shoulders have been in great shape in terms of strength, stability, and feeling for some time now.
Strangely enough, I never hear of guys injuring themselves with Bradford's even though half the movement is done behind the head.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »
Behind neck presses are good - they often get a bad rep. Not sure why anyone would want to do them standing though - seated is just as effective.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 04:27:28 PM »
its a great exercise.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 05:06:47 AM »
Only exercise where I could feel my delts and make em slightly bigger. I was pretty frustrated with the standard fare front press , but those btnbb babies saved me.
The depth of the exercise can go as low as the neck.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 08:32:06 AM »
People might like to try Pre-exhaust with the press behind the neck. Forces more muscle recruitment on the delts. Do a set of laterial raises quickly followed by the presses. 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Idea is not to use a lot of weight but more TUT.

PBN's gets a bad rap because some people hold the bar too wide out and lower it too far down the traps. Might try lowering to upper trap/neck area and press up again to about 3-4 inches before lockout. Again TUT.

Also have jerked pressed from behind the neck. Not for everyone but an excellent mass builder. Will need new shirts after a short while. Good Luck.
F

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »
People might like to try Pre-exhaust with the press behind the neck. Forces more muscle recruitment on the delts. Do a set of laterial raises quickly followed by the presses. 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Idea is not to use a lot of weight but more TUT.

PBN's gets a bad rap because some people hold the bar too wide out and lower it too far down the traps. Might try lowering to upper trap/neck area and press up again to about 3-4 inches before lockout. Again TUT.

Also have jerked pressed from behind the neck. Not for everyone but an excellent mass builder. Will need new shirts after a short while. Good Luck.

Like this?

I did them this way but without bumping the bar on my traps, just to the ear level.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:09:33 AM »
Actually that's more of a regular press than a jerk press. He's dropping the bar (which a lot of Russian lifters do), not with control. He's seems more of a power BBer which can be very affective (I prefer power BB'ing). I don't follow BB'ing so don't know much about him.  With a jerk press you get more leg/hip drive. Probably 30-40lbs more on the lift and try to control the bar on the way down. Can get double positives when doing some controlled negatives.

I bounce the bar off my traps when doing these.At times I will rest the bar from a dead stop and than press. Just a reminder that this exercise is not meant for everyone. As is the bench press, which a lot of people are just not built for. Good Luck.
F

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 02:14:45 AM »
Actually that's more of a regular press than a jerk press. He's dropping the bar (which a lot of Russian lifters do), not with control. He's seems more of a power BBer which can be very affective (I prefer power BB'ing). I don't follow BB'ing so don't know much about him.  With a jerk press you get more leg/hip drive. Probably 30-40lbs more on the lift and try to control the bar on the way down. Can get double positives when doing some controlled negatives.

I bounce the bar off my traps when doing these.At times I will rest the bar from a dead stop and than press. Just a reminder that this exercise is not meant for everyone. As is the bench press, which a lot of people are just not built for. Good Luck.

Im gonna need it for sure.  ;D

lesaucer

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:26:09 AM »
I really like seated behind neck presses on the smith machine, slow and steady, favorite excersise for delts for me

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 10:23:38 PM »
Its really a risk vs rewards kinda thing.  It might give good results but youre prone to injury using them.  Ive read enough articles suggesting the dangers of using them especially too heavy and for too long.  I say stay away.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:05:38 PM »
Fuck you all!!!  ;D

I did them again yesterday.  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
Fuck you all!!!  ;D

I did them again yesterday.  ;D

That's the spirit!!
LOL

:D :D

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 09:59:51 AM »

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 03:13:35 AM »
Sit down and do them on a Smith machine and limit your R.O.M.

It's that simple.

Don't be posting up in a few months telling everyone how fucked your rotator cuff tendons are.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Donīt do them. Dumbbells are much better.  ;) ;)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 08:54:48 AM »
Donīt do them. Dumbbells are much better.  ;) ;)
I alternate between bar and dumbells..

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 03:35:02 AM »
Bradford Presses

End of thread!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 04:28:38 AM »
Bradford Presses

End of thread!!

Wes,
Do you do Bradford's as your primary pressing movement, or do you perform them later in your routine after you've "warmed up" the area?
Also, what is your ROM like?
It seems that the most effective/preferred way to do the movement is to press up only as high as is needed to clear the top of the head.
Finally, what is your grip like?

Sorry for all the questions.
I've been considering trying these for some time now, and if I'm going to do them, I want to do them right!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 04:54:05 AM »
Bradford Presses

End of thread!!
  LOL...

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »
i think there a very dangerous exersize... but to be fair if i could do a 'perfect' delt workout they would be in there..

im starting to question overhead pressing all together, i might ditch it and just blast out side and rear latterals as im finding im constantly aggravating my shoulder joints pressing

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 11:39:34 AM »
i think there a very dangerous exersize... but to be fair if i could do a 'perfect' delt workout they would be in there..

im starting to question overhead pressing all together, i might ditch it and just blast out side and rear latterals as im finding im constantly aggravating my shoulder joints pressing
I am the same with my shoulders. I think my Delts get enough work from Bench press, Parallel bar Dips. Donīt forget the rear head is worked in Rowing.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 08:36:44 AM »
dont get me wrong, my shoulders definitely look better overall when im pressing overhead as well as the other movements... but its messing my shoulder joints up too much, i want to be still training and looking good in another 15 yrs time

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »
you have the right attitude..train smart. I met a lot of Geordies in the Army. Good lads( I am a Scot)