Author Topic: Does anyone have advice on fighting traffic tickets?  (Read 3996 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: Does anyone have advice on fighting traffic tickets?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 03:58:05 PM »
i got a ticket a week ago for public intoxication + resisiting arrest.. court dat is in march.. i was thinking about fighting the public intoxication charge on the grounds that such a law is unconstitutional.. since were guaranteed the right to pursue happiness and that night in the park all i was trying to do was pursue some wisdom and happiness..   

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
That's actually logical... it's just the "right to pursue happiness" is complete bullshit.

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 04:10:31 PM »
I took a traffic ticket to court back in like '93 and Won!!! Was the first person in like 30 some years to beat the city in traffic court. I was making a legal right on red when a women in a parallel parking space beside my car decided to do the same thing and pulled right into the path of my car as I made the turn.

The officer did not cite the women who was from Celina but totally cited me. I was from St Marys at the time which is a HUGE football rivalry from across the lake and I had my lettermans coat on. I got cited for get this "Improper Starting"  it states "A person shall not move a vehicle in a forward reverse or side to side manner without doing so in a safe and proper fashion" I was like fuck this shit!!! He actually told me I was not gonna be cited at first then changed his fucking mind and cited me.

He then told me I needed to call my mom and dad and let them know what was going on. I was like ummm I'm 18 and he told me Well then you can pay for this at the PD. I laughed at him and told him I would see him in court. I got a lawyer and fought it. The ticket was like 150 bucks the lawyer fee was like 175 but it was money well spent. He completely looked like a fool on the stand and toally denied even telling me he was not gonna cite me.

The next day the Celina Daily Standard had a front page article reading "18 yr old St Marys man beats Celina in Traffic court" like I said I was the first person to beat the traffic court in over 30 yrs.

Whats is really fucked up about all of it is that the same damn cop cited my wife (girlfriend then) for Jay walking 2 weeks later. We live in a small farm town where people jay walk all the time. Needless top say those charges got dropped after we bitched out the Chief of police :)

Good luck man have your facts square and stick to your guns :)

BayGBM

• Getbig V

epic_alien

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 04:49:55 PM »
So I'm running late to my friend's concert, stuck behind this asshole out in the middle of nowhere who's going a good 5-10 mph below the limit.  He starts to turn into a parking lot and slows to, no kidding, probably 1-2 mph!!  Of course I don't slow to a stop, but weave around him, going maybe 1-2 feet over the double yellow.  Next thing I know I'm getting pulled over and cited.  (I can't believe I didn't notice I was driving behind an officer  ::) )

The officer is some pissed off Mexican who asks me about ten times if I knew what I did wrong.  I thought I had broken some subtle law I didn't know about, but when he told me the infraction was "passing in no pass zone" I couldn't believe it.  Passing indeed!  I saw two people do the exact same thing, dipping slightly over the line to get around some cyclists, that very same trip, once I got in the city.

I already pleaded not guilty and mailed off my ticket.  I'm hoping this douche doesn't show up to court, but if he does, what should I say?

never admit or say anything to a officer. they are just fishing for a way to give you a ticket. never sign the ticket, even though they say you have to or will arest you. thats a fucking lie. show up to court and say i did nothing wrong. the onus is on them to prove, not for you to disprove

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 04:55:19 PM »
Thanks!  Good advice!

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »
good advice in this thread, just showing up will piss the court off.

play lots of Grand Theft Auto before hand to better prepare you for situations like this

I always play this in the car before going to the courthouse, it's like mozart's music except for helping you with studying it will help you beat the system.

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »
Ever seen Liar Liar? With Jim Carrey? One of his clients asks for his legal advice and its very simplistic.

STOP BREAKING THE LAW ASSHOLE!!!!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 06:13:40 PM »
~

Flexb

• Getbig IV
  • word
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »
It's always worth it to fight tickets. In Ontario, Canada at least, you will not win if the cop shows up, but you will have a chance to bargain with the office before the court begins. The cops don't want it dragged out so will usually settle for a lesser infraction, which will save you points and money.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
He didn't pull over. Why would you?

a

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 09:57:34 PM »
Technically, you should've stopped.  Does everyone in circumstances like that go around?  Yes.  Doesn't make it right.  The law says STOP.

Go to court.  Plead 'no contest'.  You will be found guilty.  Your fine may get reduced.  It's traffic court.  Do not plead not guilty.

Trust me on this one  ;)  I've been in traffic court more times than I have fingers.

On another note:  I know someone who was on a Harley and did the same thing - went around (car had their blinker on to turn right).  They turned left.  Harley passenger dead.  Harley driver charged in her death.
:

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 10:03:28 PM »
(car had their blinker on to turn right).  They turned left.[/color]

Hearsay.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
Jesus Fuck Christ the lot of you are ALL ignorant dolts.

GET A LAWYER. NEVER SHOW UP TO COURT WITHOUT A LAWYER. YOU HAVE ABOUT 100 PERCENT CHANCE OF WINNING OR REDUCING THE CHARGE TO NOTHING WITH A LAWYER.

Are all of you really this stupid or just can`t afford a laywer.  It HAS to be one or the other, or both.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »
Ever seen Liar Liar? With Jim Carrey? One of his clients asks for his legal advice and its very simplistic.

STOP BREAKING THE LAW ASSHOLE!!!!
We in America take pride in not taking responsibility for our actions...It's a "constitutional right".... :-\  :-[

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2011, 10:13:19 PM »

I havent been on here in almost a year....saw taht picture and completely died laughing in remembrance...what's his name again?  RIP
Valhalla awaits.

Flexb

• Getbig IV
  • word
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2011, 10:31:19 PM »
Jesus Fuck Christ the lot of you are ALL ignorant dolts.

GET A LAWYER. NEVER SHOW UP TO COURT WITHOUT A LAWYER. YOU HAVE ABOUT 100 PERCENT CHANCE OF WINNING OR REDUCING THE CHARGE TO NOTHING WITH A LAWYER.

Are all of you really this stupid or just can`t afford a laywer.  It HAS to be one or the other, or both.

A lawyer costs more than a ticket lol

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 10:42:18 PM »
A lawyer costs more than a ticket lol

Yes, probably.  It's a minor traffic offense and if there's no priors, then just showing up and pleading no contest is probably the most cost effective.  Ultimately it could mean higher insurance costs in the future so ya gotta kinda weigh the options.
:

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 10:43:18 PM »

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2011, 10:48:30 PM »
Yes, probably.  It's a minor traffic offense and if there's no priors, then just showing up and pleading no contest is probably the most cost effective.  Ultimately it could mean higher insurance costs in the future so ya gotta kinda weigh the options.
Or you can learn how to play it...If you have a clean record, one could plead "guilty w/explanation", you are either going to be found guilty (low chance), not guilty (good chance) or get a PBJ (higher chance)...which mean you pay fine plus court costs...

Then, if it is late in the day, and large docket, the Judge might want to rush thru it---watch want others have pled or come during a eariler docket to see the mistakes of what others have done...

If there is a large number of people in the gallery---then the judge may want to make a example of some people---if there isn't then, the judge maybe more lenient.

mcluvin

• Getbig II
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2011, 08:24:22 AM »
Law enforcement is considered 51% in the right during traffic court. The system would NOT work if this wasn't the case. This will be read by the judge before court begins. From this point on your screwed. If you haven't had a ticket (moving violation) in the last 3 years contact the court ahead of time and request traffic school, defensive driving or probation. Probation usually lasts 6 months and the ticket expunged if you don't get cited again. Once again, you need a clean record to get most of these. Some places it's one year no moving violation before the date of your infraction. DON'T GO TO COURT TO ARGUE WITH THE COP. He usally spends one day a month in court and he will put the fucking boots to you on the stand. Cops are not nervous in court like you will be, they spend a lot of time there. Cops don't mind going to court, it's usually overtime pay so don't say "I'll see you in court !!!". Cops have classes on documenting stops and tickets. 99 times out of a hundred they have a mic on and the whole thing was recorded and videotaped. Also the fine you get in court is MORE than the ticket will be. THEY SLAP YOU WITH COURT COSTS ON TOP OF THE TICKET. Here's the best part, they ask the officer a recomendation for the fine after you've been found guilty. If you really pissed him off you better have your Visa card with you. ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2011, 12:28:44 PM »
Law enforcement is considered 51% in the right during traffic court. The system would NOT work if this wasn't the case. This will be read by the judge before court begins. From this point on your screwed. If you haven't had a ticket (moving violation) in the last 3 years contact the court ahead of time and request traffic school, defensive driving or probation. Probation usually lasts 6 months and the ticket expunged if you don't get cited again. Once again, you need a clean record to get most of these. Some places it's one year no moving violation before the date of your infraction. DON'T GO TO COURT TO ARGUE WITH THE COP. He usally spends one day a month in court and he will put the fucking boots to you on the stand. Cops are not nervous in court like you will be, they spend a lot of time there. Cops don't mind going to court, it's usually overtime pay so don't say "I'll see you in court !!!". Cops have classes on documenting stops and tickets. 99 times out of a hundred they have a mic on and the whole thing was recorded and videotaped. Also the fine you get in court is MORE than the ticket will be. THEY SLAP YOU WITH COURT COSTS ON TOP OF THE TICKET. Here's the best part, they ask the officer a recomendation for the fine after you've been found guilty. If you really pissed him off you better have your Visa card with you. ;D
Translation: Let a lawyer handle it so you can win and not even have to show up.  ;)

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »
I decided to hire a lawyer.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out. :D

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2011, 07:37:40 PM »
I decided to hire a lawyer.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out. :D
good, don't let the system push you around

mcluvin

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 08:19:36 AM »
good, don't let the system push you around

Worked for OJ...... ???