Author Topic: anyone overcome body asymmetry?  (Read 1748 times)

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
anyone overcome body asymmetry?
« on: February 20, 2011, 08:04:58 AM »
posted this on the general board, but no one had a serious response...

anyone overcome a body symmetry issue such as a smaller right pec muscle?

i started to incoporporate etra excersises and will see what happens.

on fridays i train chest as usual (mainly dumbell work), then on saturday i do one arm cable cross-overs to isolate the right pec.

so far on Monday, my right pec is reall sore (more so than the left), so hopefully that means i am targetting it, and hopefully see some growth in the next few months.

anyone have any comments or advice?
you are gay.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: anyone overcome body asymmetry?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:49:07 AM »
The closest I’ve come to what you’re describing is correcting a strength imbalance between my left & right arms.
I switched to using unilateral work almost exclusively, which corrected the imbalance within several months.

If your symmetry imbalance is accompanied by a corresponding strength imbalance and you do not currently employ much unilateral work in your training, then doing so may help balance you out some.

However, it sounds as though you currently do plenty of unilateral movements.
Have you always done this, or is this practice more recent?
If you’ve only just started, then I recommend giving it some time to gauge its effectiveness.

Also, more/extra work for the lagging side may seem like a good idea, but at the same time, you don’t want to overwork the muscle to the point it is not fully recovering between workouts.
Rather than simply devoting extra volume to the lagging side, you may consider reducing the amount of work for the entire chest TEMPORARILY, while using a more of a “full load” on only the affected side.
If you want, even try using a little of both approaches for a while.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:48:07 AM »
Everyone has a dominate side, in size and strength. Check out the Pro's closely and you will find flaws in muscle matching opposite sides. Even the face is slighty different from each side. So unless theworm's right pec is a A cup and his left pec is a D cup, really not that much to worry about.

Not a good idea to do more work for a seemly lacking muscle side. If the right pec is sore (or pumped), that does not mean that you are working it correctly. Usually a false positive. More so if you work the pec's 2 days in a row. Equal work for equal muscle parts may be the best rule. Nothing extra,

DB & cable work is find. May suggest Pec Deck work, with the elbows on the pads for direct pec influence. . A chest mass builder for a lot of guy's are dips (weighted & leaning forward) if you want to get away from, or do less of , DB work.

Research has found that if you only work one muscle side of the body, the other unworked side will gain slightly in size and strength. Nature has a way of balancing out the body, though not to perfection. Good Luck.
F

dragonfist

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:47:48 PM »
posted this on the general board, but no one had a serious response...

anyone overcome a body symmetry issue such as a smaller right pec muscle?

i started to incoporporate etra excersises and will see what happens.

on fridays i train chest as usual (mainly dumbell work), then on saturday i do one arm cable cross-overs to isolate the right pec.

so far on Monday, my right pec is reall sore (more so than the left), so hopefully that means i am targetting it, and hopefully see some growth in the next few months.

anyone have any comments or advice?

Depends on the cause of you asymmetry.  If the problem is due to an injury or nerve problem which you have recovered from or improper technique then yes, you might be able to overcome it.  But in many cases if you really lean out you will see very different muscle shape and insertions from one side to the next.  If that is the case the you are probably stuck. 

From my experience training one side with different weight or volume caused a strength imbalance so i had to stop.  You will probably have more luck letting your dominant side lag than bringing up your smaller side.