Author Topic: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President  (Read 72611 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »
There is no such thing as 'Mormon light'.

I see.  You believe all Mormons are nutcases.  Do you believe all Christians are nutcases? 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2011, 05:01:51 PM »
I see.  You believe all Mormons are nutcases.  Do you believe all Christians are nutcases? 

Depends on the definition, but loosely speaking no.

There are moderate Christians who don't believe in the literal word of the Bible for example.
I hate the State.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2011, 06:08:14 AM »
maybe this will be the "Year of the Mormon".  I thought a Jewish prez would come first.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2011, 12:04:20 PM »
Depends on the definition, but loosely speaking no.

There are moderate Christians who don't believe in the literal word of the Bible for example.

This makes no sense. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2011, 12:05:25 PM »
Rep. Ron Paul announces candidacy for president
By: By CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

(CNN)-Saying "the time is right" because more people agree with his positions, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas on Friday announced his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination.

The long-time lawmaker, who was first elected to the House of Representatives 35 years ago, says he's optimistic about his chances and that his "supporters are enthusiastic."

The 75-year-old Paul, whose libertarian views and outspoken criticism of American foreign and monetary policy has often put him at odds with the GOP, made his announcement on ABC's "Good Morning America." Paul is expected to repeat his announcement of candidacy later Friday at a campaign event in Exeter, New Hampshire, where he's also expected to receive several endorsements.

This is Paul's third bid for the White House. He ran as a libertarian in 1988 and for the Republican nomination four years ago. His campaign in the last presidential election raised eyebrows, thanks to the energy and enthusiasm of his legions of supporters, and thanks to his online fundraising prowess. He brought in millions of dollars in one- to two-day fundraising efforts - or so-called "money bombs."

When it comes to fundraising, it seems that Paul picked up in 2011 where he left off after he dropped out of the 2008 campaign. He raised more than $1 million in a 24-hour period last week, timed to coincide with his appearance at the first Republican presidential debate in Greenville, South Carolina.

Paul has hinted for months that he could launch another bid for the White House. His aides announced on April 14 that he had formed a "testing the waters" account and 12 days later announced the formation of an official presidential exploratory committee.

Paul made that announcement in Iowa, the state which holds the first contest in the presidential primary and caucus calendar. New Hampshire comes second on the calendar. After the event in Exeter on Friday, Paul is scheduled to attend a dinner in Lebanon hosted by the Grafton County Republican Party.

Paul generally holds a non-intervention stance when it comes to foreign policy, believing that the U.S. should avoid entangling alliances with other nations and avoid all wars not related directly to self defense of the country. Paul voted against the resolution authorizing the Iraq war. He also advocates withdrawing U.S. participation and funding from such organizations as the United Nations and NATO.

Paul has taken issue with the way the raid against Osama Bin Laden was carried out, saying that "we could have done it differently," and added that he would have carried out the mission to kill the founder and leader of the al Qaeda terrorist network in a different way than President Obama handled the situation.

But as for the killing of the man behind the 9/11 terrorist attacks, he says "I'm delighted he's gone."

On fiscal issues, Paul is a strong believer in free market principles and has called for abolishing the Federal Reserve. Thanks to his stance on economic issues, Paul enjoys strong support from many Tea Party activists. For two straight years, he's won the presidential straw poll at the Conservative Political Action Conference.

The most recent CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll indicated that 10 percent of Republicans and independents who lean towards the GOP support Paul for their party's nomination, which places him fifth in the horse race. But the same survey also indicated that in a hypothetical 2012 general election head-to-head with Obama, Paul trailed by 7 percent, performing better than any other probable or possible Republican candidate.

Paul's son Rand, who like his father is a doctor, won election to the Senate from Kentucky last November. Earlier this year the younger Paul said there was a chance he would enter the race for the GOP nomination if his father didn't.

Rep. Ron Paul will appear on CNN's "The Situation Room" to discuss his 2012 candidacy for president Friday.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/13/breaking-rep-ron-paul-announces-third-bid-for-presidency/?hpt=T1

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2011, 09:06:38 AM »
Huckabee Opts Against 2012 White House Bid
Published May 14, 2011
FoxNews.com

Mike Huckabee said Saturday there would be no sequel to his surprisingly strong 2008 White House bid, in which he won the Iowa Republican caucus and finished second in the primaries to Sen. John McCain.

"All the factors say go, but my heart says no," Huckabee, who was considered the GOP frontrunner in several national polls, said on his Fox News Channel show.

The show is normally prerecorded before it airs at 8 p.m. ET, but Huckabee saved the last 10 minutes of tonight’s broadcast to make his announcement live.

"The past few months have been times of deep personal reflection," Huckabee said. "Even though I wasn't actively establishing a campaign organization or seeking financial support to run again, polls have consistently put me at or near the top to be the Republican nominee."

"But I know that under the best of circumstances, being President is a job that takes one to the limit of his or her human capacity," he continued. "I can't know or predict the future, but I know for now my answer is clear and firm:  I will not seek the Republican nomination for President this year."

Huckabee said others probably thought about a presidential bid more than he did.

"I had not done much toward a race because my life was filled with work that I truly love here at Fox News, doing radio commentaries on my daily Huckabee Report on 600 radio stations, traveling the country for speaking engagements, and helping good conservative, pro-life candidates who were running for office," he said.

Donald Trump delivered a message after Huckabee's decision to opt out.

"A lot of people are very happy that he will not be running, especially other candidates, so Mike enjoy the show," Trump said.  "The ratings are terrific. Good luck."

Huckabee led polls early in the 2012 season, even winning a South Carolina county straw poll in April. Supporters took to Facebook to express their dismay.

"Mike- I respect your decision but I am very disheartened," a contributor to Huckabee's Facebook page wrote.

Before his announcement Saturday night, Huckabee hadn't shared his decision with his closest advisers.

Many of those advisers predicted Huckabee wouldn't run.

Ed Rollins, who was Huckabee's national campaign chairman for the 2008 campaign, said he expected this decision after Huckabee had broken off communications with him about a week ago.

“He’s not going to run,” 2008 Huckabee campaign director Ed Rollins told Fox News before the announcement. "About a week ago he broke off communications, which tells me he's not going to run.”

But as late as Saturday morning, Huckabee wouldn't tip his hand even when asked about Rollin's statement.

"I haven't even told my executive producer of the show tonight what the decision is," Huckabee said on "Fox and Friends."

"That's kind of refreshing because for the last several months they've all known," he said when asked about predictions by political insiders that he wouldn't run. "They've either known for sure that I was or for sure that I wasn't, when even I wasn't sure. Now that I'm sure they admit they don't know."

In the end, Huckabee decided that he didn't want to abandon the media empire that he has built since his failed presidential bid four years ago. In addition to his TV show, Huckabee hosts a nationally syndicated radio program, gives paid speeches around the country and has even launched a series of animated videos for children on American history.

The talk show is the centerpiece of Huckabee's enterprises, which have made the one-time Baptist preacher from Hope, Ark., and 10-year governor a wealthy man with a $2.2 million beachfront home under construction in Florida. Huckabee, 55, and his wife moved their residency and voter registration to the state last year.

Rollins and other advisers have said Huckabee could enter the race with a frontrunner status he didn't have as a former governor fresh out of office in 2008. But another Huckabee run would bring renewed scrutiny over his support of some tax increases in Arkansas and his record on clemency -- including commuting the sentence of a man who later killed four Seattle-area police officers.

Huckabee demurred when asked on Fox whether he felt an obligation to run.

"The obligation is to love your country and serve it the best way you can. If that's being a candidate, then yes. If it's maybe in another role, maybe that's it," Huckabee said

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/14/huckabee-opts-2012-white-house-bid/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2011, 09:10:05 AM »
Thank heavens.   Huck was horrible.     

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2011, 09:19:13 AM »
I like Huck, but I didn't think he was going to get out of the primary. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2011, 11:48:58 AM »
Huntsman to attend major social-conservative forum
By: CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Washington (CNN) - Do you need more evidence that Jon Huntsman is making the moves towards running for Republican presidential nomination?

If so, here you go: Huntsman will attend a major social conservative conference early next month here in the nation's capitol. The former U.S. Ambassador to China and former Utah governor will address the Faith and Freedom Conference and Strategy Briefing on Friday June 3, according to a statement Monday from Ralph Reed, the organization's founder. A spokesman for Huntsman confirmed the news to CNN.

Huntsman stepped down as U.S. ambassador to China at the end of last month. Since then he traveled to South Carolina to meet with Nikki Haley, the state's popular GOP governor, as well as meeting with other Republican lawmakers, strategists and activists, as well as giving a commencement speech at the University of South Carolina. The state holds the first southern contest in the primary and caucus calendar.

Thursday Huntsman kicks off a five day campaign swing through New Hampshire, which holds the first primary in the road to the White House.

Huntsman joins a large list of 2012 GOP White House candidates, and probable and possible hopefuls, speaking at the Faith and Freedom two-day gathering. They are former Massachusetts Gov. and 2008 Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/16/huntsman-to-attend-major-social-conservative-forum/#more-159287

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
Rasmussen: GOP Race Now Wide Open — Look for Dark Horse
Monday, 16 May 2011
By Martin Gould and Ashley Martella

The GOP presidential nominee will probably be someone who’s not even in the mix yet, pollster Scott Rasmussen told NewsmaxTV in an exclusive interview.

The race is so wide open and the enthusiasm for all the declared candidates is so weak that a dark horse could come from nowhere and clinch the nomination at the wire, he said.

And the chances of the Republicans actually taking the White House will depend almost entirely on the economy, Rasmussen predicted. If it’s doing well by fall 2012, President Obama will win a second term; if it’s into a double dip recession the GOP will get in easily and if it’s still bumping along like it is now, it will be a tight race.

Rasmussen was speaking as the political fall-out from the withdrawals of Mike Huckabee and Donald Trump were reshaping the Republican run. He says that latest polls show that Huckabee, Trump and Sarah Palin between them are the first choices of 43 percent of GOP voters — although two are definitely out and Palin probably won’t run either.

After Trump’s official announcement that he was not going to run for president, Rasmussen added:

"The news that Donald Trump is not running for President is not really a surprise and will have little impact on the wide open field seeking the GOP nomination. It’s worth noting that an earlier poll asked people about the race if Huckabee, Trump, and Palin didn’t run. In that race, Mitt Romney and Chris Christie came out on top. For the moment, Romney is a vulnerable frontrunner and many Republican voters are looking elsewhere."

Rasmussen categorized  Romney, Mitch Daniels and Tim Pawlenty as the “establishment-approved candidates” but said that could be a disadvantage. “Voters are unhappy with the Republican Party leadership in Washington so look for something different," he said. “They are looking for someone who will change the game, not just play it a little differently."

He said that with the election still nearly 18 months away, there is plenty of time for a new name to emerge, saying he expected perhaps a state governor would announce a run around Thanksgiving or even Christmas and stir up the race. “The process itself is so open at the moment that I’m not at all confident that the ultimate nominee is there,” said Rasmussen.

Of the current candidates, Rasmussen said Newt Gingrich just about ruled himself out with his comments this week supporting parts of the President’s health care plan that call for the mandatory purchase of insurance. “He’s not looking like a team player. I don’t quite know what Speaker Gingrich was doing with this one,” he said.

Rasmussen said the killing of Osama bin Laden gave President Obama a small bump in the polls, and the reason it wasn’t larger is because voters are focusing almost entirely on the economy. “Only 6 percent of voters nationwide say national security issues are number one right now. This was a single decision on a national security matter. The president right now is getting good reviews for his handling of national security but only 34 percent think he’s doing a good job on the economy.”

And it is the economy that will decide the election, he predicted. “If the economy is really humming along and jobs are being created and people are feeling good about their own finances, this president will be hard to defeat.

“If the economy goes into a double-dip recession it will be hard for a Republican to lose and if we muddle along like we are today, it’s going to be a close election. Things like the housing market and personal financial concerns are likely to drive the debate.”

But he said whoever the eventual GOP candidate is, the party faithful will rally round to defeat Obama. “Republicans will not have a passion problem,” he predicted. “Barack Obama will supply the passion for Republicans just like George Bush supplied passion for the Democrats the last time around.”

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Huckabee-ScottRasmussen-polls-candidates/2011/05/16/id/396523

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2011, 03:36:28 PM »
Romney fundraising day yields $10.25m
E-mail | Print | Comments (4) Posted by Matt Viser, reporter May 16, 2011 05:16 PM

E-mail this article  To: Invalid email address Add a personal message:  Your e-mail: Invalid email address   Sending your articleYour article has been sent.

By Matt Viser, Globe Staff

LAS VEGAS – Mitt Romney raised $10.25 million from his National Call Day here today, far exceeding the haul he brought in from a similar fundraising day in Boston four years ago.

With around 720 supporters placing calls around the country throughout the day, he sought to put on full display one of the most important attributes for his emerging campaign: raising money.

Supporters -- gathered in a conference room at the Las Vegas Convention Center that Romney aides happily noted was the size of two football fields -- began gathering to make calls at 5:30 a.m., asking contributors to give the maximum to his campaign.

Former Olympic speed-skaters Dan Jansen and Derek Parra were on hand, and model Cindy Crawford was featured in the demonstration video teaching volunteers how to use the fundraising software, dubbed ComMitt.

“It’s only $2,500,” one fundraiser was overheard saying on his cell phone. “I wish I could ask for more.”

The National Call Day was similar to a daylong fundraising event Romney held in Boston during his last campaign, which his staff said drew about 400 people and brought in $6.5 million in actual contributions and signed pledges.

That event, held at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, was meant to highlight his home state, with the Fenway Park anthem “Dirty Water” blaring from the loudspeakers after he spoke.

This time, the event was held 2,700 miles away, and designed to show how import Nevada will be to Romney’s campaign this time. The state is set to be third in line, behind Iowa and New Hampshire, and Romney has placed nearly as much early emphasis on Nevada as he has on New Hampshire.

“I think he’s incredibly well positioned,” said Meg Whitman, the former eBay chief executive who ran unsuccessfully for governor of California last year and has been a close adviser to Romney. “Nevada is a crucial state for ultimately Mitt Romney to win the nomination. He will be here a lot…it’s absolutely essential.”

Romney today also held a “town hall” meeting on Facebook, where he appeared live from the fundraiser and selected five questions to answer. Not surprisingly, almost all of them had to do with economic concerns, the area Romney has focused on tightly.

“Our president, likable as he is, has done all the wrong things to turn the economy around,” Romney said. “Government has to be a partner with the economy, not a foe or a competitor with the entrepreneur and the businessperson.”

Romney also criticized the financial reform legislation passed by Congress last year and spearheaded by Representative Barney Frank, of Newton. He called it a “massive burden” and said “it make it harder” for businesses to prepare for future investments.

“Washington passed this big Dodd-Frank bill…that has literally thousands of pages of regulations,” Romney said. “Because the banking industry is so frightened, they’ve held back” on making investment.

He also said he would cut the deficit, largely by focusing on discretionary spending cuts and reforms to entitlement programs such as Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security. Romney has yet to outline in-depth what types of reforms that would entail.

But he also pledged not to cut the defense budget, saying any spending viewed as wasteful would be redirected to military programs.

He closed by thanking the 900,000 followers who had become his friend through Facebook, and then requested that they consider making a donation.

“You’ll even get airline miles for it,” he said.

Matt Viser can be reached at maviser@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @mviser.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
Romney fundraising day yields $10.25m
E-mail | Print | Comments (4) Posted by Matt Viser, reporter May 16, 2011 05:16 PM

E-mail this article  To: Invalid email address Add a personal message:  Your e-mail: Invalid email address   Sending your articleYour article has been sent.

By Matt Viser, Globe Staff

LAS VEGAS – Mitt Romney raised $10.25 million from his National Call Day here today, far exceeding the haul he brought in from a similar fundraising day in Boston four years ago.

With around 720 supporters placing calls around the country throughout the day, he sought to put on full display one of the most important attributes for his emerging campaign: raising money.

Supporters -- gathered in a conference room at the Las Vegas Convention Center that Romney aides happily noted was the size of two football fields -- began gathering to make calls at 5:30 a.m., asking contributors to give the maximum to his campaign.

Former Olympic speed-skaters Dan Jansen and Derek Parra were on hand, and model Cindy Crawford was featured in the demonstration video teaching volunteers how to use the fundraising software, dubbed ComMitt.

“It’s only $2,500,” one fundraiser was overheard saying on his cell phone. “I wish I could ask for more.”

The National Call Day was similar to a daylong fundraising event Romney held in Boston during his last campaign, which his staff said drew about 400 people and brought in $6.5 million in actual contributions and signed pledges.

That event, held at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, was meant to highlight his home state, with the Fenway Park anthem “Dirty Water” blaring from the loudspeakers after he spoke.

This time, the event was held 2,700 miles away, and designed to show how import Nevada will be to Romney’s campaign this time. The state is set to be third in line, behind Iowa and New Hampshire, and Romney has placed nearly as much early emphasis on Nevada as he has on New Hampshire.

“I think he’s incredibly well positioned,” said Meg Whitman, the former eBay chief executive who ran unsuccessfully for governor of California last year and has been a close adviser to Romney. “Nevada is a crucial state for ultimately Mitt Romney to win the nomination. He will be here a lot…it’s absolutely essential.”

Romney today also held a “town hall” meeting on Facebook, where he appeared live from the fundraiser and selected five questions to answer. Not surprisingly, almost all of them had to do with economic concerns, the area Romney has focused on tightly.

“Our president, likable as he is, has done all the wrong things to turn the economy around,” Romney said. “Government has to be a partner with the economy, not a foe or a competitor with the entrepreneur and the businessperson.”

Romney also criticized the financial reform legislation passed by Congress last year and spearheaded by Representative Barney Frank, of Newton. He called it a “massive burden” and said “it make it harder” for businesses to prepare for future investments.

“Washington passed this big Dodd-Frank bill…that has literally thousands of pages of regulations,” Romney said. “Because the banking industry is so frightened, they’ve held back” on making investment.

He also said he would cut the deficit, largely by focusing on discretionary spending cuts and reforms to entitlement programs such as Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security. Romney has yet to outline in-depth what types of reforms that would entail.

But he also pledged not to cut the defense budget, saying any spending viewed as wasteful would be redirected to military programs.

He closed by thanking the 900,000 followers who had become his friend through Facebook, and then requested that they consider making a donation.

“You’ll even get airline miles for it,” he said.

Matt Viser can be reached at maviser@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @mviser.

A bit better than Ron Paul's million.  This is the kind of money the winning candidate will need to bring in after a one-day event. 

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2011, 06:17:42 AM »
well, it is Mitt's turn....
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2011, 07:04:07 AM »
Bachmann or Huntsman looking to be the dark horses.

Establishment hates mitt.  newt self destructing already.  pawlenty is just getting more weird and boring.  Daniels was bush's budget director and is going so far overboard with the PP stuff...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2011, 11:18:20 AM »
Here comes Huntsman
By: CNN Political Correspondent Jim Acosta

Hanover, New Hampshire (CNN) –Jon Huntsman plunged into the presidential waters Thursday, hitting New Hampshire with the kind of swarm of news cameras, journalists and expectations normally seen buzzing around a more established campaign.

In front of a small GOP crowd in the town of Hanover, the former Republican governor of Utah and, more recently, U.S. ambassador to China under President Barack Obama tried to downplay expectations.

"We are the quintessential margin-of-error potential candidate," Huntsman said.

But the presidential stage-crafting was hard to miss. Huntsman arrived at Thursday's scheduled "meet and greet" at Jesse's Restaurant with his wife, Mary Kaye, and two of the couple's seven children at their side.

Inside the eatery once frequented by the likes of candidates including Barack Obama and John McCain, Huntsman said he will make a decision on his 2012 plans in the coming weeks.

"We are in the early stages of due diligence," he said.

Seen as a rising star in the GOP, Huntsman has yet to declare his candidacy. But he plans to make roughly a dozen stops over five days in this crucial primary state. His pre-campaign swing is generating national media attention as some Republicans have expressed reservations about the current slate of potential candidates.

But in a brief interview with CNN, Huntsman acknowledged some Republicans will have questions. First among them is that Huntsman stepped down as Utah's governor to serve as President Obama's ambassador to China. "Every candidate has a record," he said.

Huntsman then took the issue head-on during his opening remarks. "I didn't serve President Obama I served my president," said Huntsman. "I'm the kind of person, when I'm asked, I serve," he added.

The ex-diplomat spent much of the evening laying out his foreign policy views, even offering some brief criticism of Obama's speech on the Middle East Thursday. In that speech, Obama called for Israel and Palestine to return to borders established in 1967.

The president's speech prompted criticism from some Republicans, with likely GOP contender Mitt Romney declaring that Obama had thrown Israel "under the bus."

Huntsman offered no such red meat. "When you've got sensitive negotiations, the first question I have to ask is that if you respect Israel, we probably ought to ask what they think is best," he said.

Huntsman's economic message drew on his experience in China as he reflected on how he viewed the U.S. from "10,000 miles away."

Describing China as "proud" and "growing" and the United States as "depressed" and "dispirited," Huntsman said the upcoming presidential race will determine whether the nation can get its "act together."

"It's going to be about whether this country is ready for the 21st century," Huntsman said.

Huntsman's understated, cerebral approach will be tested by conservatives who don't like the former governor's past support for "cap and trade" legislation and civil unions for same-sex couples.

The low-volume approach didn't work with everybody in the crowd.

"Speak up!" shouted one woman.

The potential contender obliged.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/19/here-comes-huntsman/#more-159928

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2011, 11:19:47 AM »
GOP leaders restless about 2012 candidates, but ready to take on Obama
By: CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby

Dallas (CNN) – GOP leaders from around the country who gathered in Dallas this week for a meeting of the Republican National Committee view their field of 2012 presidential contenders as unsettled, unpredictable and perhaps a bit uninspiring.

But there was also consensus at the meeting that their eventual nominee won't have to worry about galvanizing Republican support in the general election, a dilemma the party faced in 2008 when the GOP was burdened by an unpopular president and a nominee, Arizona Sen. John McCain, who had a famously rocky relationship with conservatives.

The reason for their optimism this time around? President Barack Obama.

West Virginia GOP Chairman Mike Stuart, for one, replied with a flat "no" when asked if voters in his state were excited about the current roster of Republicans seeking the presidential nomination.

A backer of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney when he ran 2008, Stuart said he is now second-guessing his support because of the similarities between Obama's sweeping health care reform bill and the one signed into law earlier by Romney in Massachusetts.

Yet Stuart predicted that Republicans would have no problem rallying behind Romney or any other GOP candidate because of fierce grassroots opposition to the Obama administration.

"Republicans in West Virginia are united behind whoever will run against Obama," Stuart told CNN. "There is so much frustration about the Obama policies."

In nearly two dozen interviews at the RNC's three-day strategy session, party insiders expressed some measure of anxiety about the early field of candidates, highlighted by Romney, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum.

While several Republicans groused privately about the current crop of GOP candidates, most seemed to agree that their chances of reclaiming the White House remain strong thanks to a resurgent GOP base.

"I am not seeing lightning striking for any of the candidates at this point, but Republicans are eager to find the right candidate to coalesce around,” said Nevada Republican Chairman Bob List, adding reference to the president: “There is a very high voltage current running around the electorate saying we need to take this guy out."

There also was a shared belief - or hope, in some cases - that the early field of candidates will grow larger.

Some party leaders in Dallas remained hopeful that fresh-faced Republicans like Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan or New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will renege on promises not to run, though neither man seems likely to do so.

Others said Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, who plans to make a decision about a White House bid in the coming weeks, would bring serious fiscal credentials and a genuine fundraising ability to the race.

Two GOP heavyweights - Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and Texas Gov. Rick Perry - visited the RNC meeting and predicted that more candidates would join the race in the coming weeks or months.

Barbour, who flirted with a presidential bid until deciding not to run last month, told CNN that he wants Daniels, a friend and political confidante, to pursue the nomination.

Perry, himself a subject of frequent presidential chatter, noted that "there are still a number of folks out there who have not made a decision" about running.

Republicans from New York and Florida, two hotbeds for political fundraising, said top GOP contributors in their states are still eyeing the field with caution, even with just seven months left until the Iowa caucuses officially kick off the nomination fight.

"It's kind of a mixed-bag right now," said Florida GOP Chairman Dave Bitner. "The donors are taking a wait-and-see approach."

New York Republican Party Chairman Ed Cox said Romney has a leg up on his competitors among the Wall Street donor set. Romney has assembled a formidable fundraising team and raised more than $10 million in a single day this week, a warning shot to his potential rivals for the nomination.

But Cox said Daniels and former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman have the potential to make inroads with some of New York's leading financiers. He also suggested some power-brokers might try to draft Perry or Christie into the race.

"The donors are still sorting the candidates out now and they honestly haven't seen a lot of them show up yet and talk to them," he said.

Ohio GOP Chairman Kevin DeWine acknowledged that the candidates are not yet stirring passions within the Republican base.

But he said the wide-open nature of the race, along with new primary calendar rules designed to lengthen the nominating process, could ultimately help the Republican nominee in the same way a protracted primary fight helped boost Democratic grassroots energy in 2008

"This is a process where, ultimately, Republican voters in 25 to 30 states will have an opportunity to pick the nominee, instead of just automatically picking the guy who finished second in the last race, like we usually do," DeWine said. "All the various factions of the party are paying attention or getting engaged."

In the end, Louisiana GOP Chairman Roger Villere predicted, Republicans will be energized for a fight with Obama, no matter who tops the ticket.

"It's the Super Bowl of politics," Villere said. "We are ready for it."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/20/gop-leaders-restless-about-2012-candidates-but-ready-to-take-on-obama/#more-159922

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »
Romney to announce in New Hampshire next Thursday
By: CNN Political Unit

(CNN)–A Romney spokesperson tells former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney will formally announce his candidacy for president Thursday, June 2, in New Hampshire.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/26/breaking-romney-to-announce-in-new-hampshire-next-thursday/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2011, 11:30:34 AM »
Not exactly an electrifying bunch, but Republicans will probably have better choices in 2012 than they had in 2008. 

Selling Them Short? 2012 GOP Candidates Work to Improve Image, Connect
By Judson Berger
Published May 27, 2011
FoxNews.com

In some circles, the Republican 2012 field has been written off faster than last year's business expenses.

Newt Gingrich lacks discipline. Mitt Romney's health care law was too similar to President Obama's. Nobody knows who Tim Pawlenty is.

All are common swipes against the budding crop of presidential hopefuls jockeying for the chance to take on Obama next year. But election analysts say these candidates still have a solid shot at competing, if they can just work out the kinks in their campaign machine.

The race is only just starting, and as Obama proved in 2008 and Bill Clinton proved in 1992, no candidate should be discounted. Although some in the GOP establishment clamor for a heavyweight to shake up the field, other Republican strategists say the field has some serious assets already.

"Obama's numbers aren't magnificent, and if you put a viable alternative out there ... then that person will give Obama a run for his money," Republican strategist Ron Bonjean said.

The candidates themselves are vying to be viable, insisting Republicans don't have to wait until 2016 for a chance at the White House. With some polls showing a generic Republican candidate beating the president, the environment suggests voters are just waiting for a GOP candidate who says the right things -- and a candidate they've heard of.

Take Pawlenty. A Gallup poll released Thursday underscored his problems connecting with voters, showing just 6 percent want him as their GOP nominee.

But Brad Blakeman, a former adviser to George W. Bush, said Pawlenty has the right stuff.

The former Minnesota governor comes from a purple state -- part red state and part blue state. And though the state continues to face future deficits, Pawlenty points to his record balancing the budget while in office. The unemployment rate also fell from a high of 8.5 percent to 6.7 percent at the end of his term.

"I think he's both selectable and electable," Blakeman said, referring to the two tests candidates will face -- the primary and general election.

Blakeman, who recently had dinner with Pawlenty in Florida, said Pawlenty has impressed him the most out of the field. He claimed Pawlenty is baggage-free and just needs to build his name -- by talking about his record in office and going more aggressively after Obama on the economy.

Somebody must have gotten Pawlenty the memo. Friday morning on Fox News, the ex-governor assailed the president for not proposing a major entitlement overhaul.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your little European pub crawl," Pawlenty said, referencing the president's overseas trip. "But where's President Obama's Medicare plan? ... We've got an absent president on this issue."

Pawlenty insisted his poll numbers would improve as voters get to know him.

Beating Pawlenty in the polls are former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who has announced his candidacy, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who is expected to announce his candidacy next week in New Hampshire.

Gingrich has had a rocky time in his opening days as an official candidate. He had to apologize after criticizing GOP Rep. Paul Ryan's Medicare plan, and then he ran into some questions about a $500,000 line of credit at Tiffany & Co.

But despite the clamor for new conservative voices, Bonjean said Gingrich shouldn't be afraid to talk about what he did in the '90s. The split government back then resulted in a balanced budget and welfare reform, and he presided over a period of prosperity. "He can take some credit for it," Bonjean said.

He said Gingrich needs to connect with public opinion, by contrasting the budget progress of the '90s against "Obama's failure on deficit spending."

The same goes for Romney. The former governor recently delivered a speech in which he addressed concerns about the similarities between his state's health care plan and the one signed by Obama last year. Bonjean said Romney should consider the matter settled and move on to aggressively talking about his record as a corporate executive creating jobs.

Other announced candidates include businessman Herman Cain and Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, with former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum expected to announce June 6.

Paul has a loyal base of followers who adore his libertarian-leaning worldview of small government and less foreign intervention. His challenge is breaking out of the mold of GOP gadfly and perennial candidate.

Cain, former head of Godfather's Pizza, seems determined to break into the top tier. Though his candidacy has endured some mocking, the Gallup poll this week showed him beating Pawlenty, with 8 percent support. (It also showed Paul with 10 percent and Romney leading overall.)

GOP strategist Karl Rove has questioned whether Cain has the experience to be a viable candidate. But Cain told Fox News on Thursday that the idea that candidates must have held office is the "old political paradigm."

"You don't have to have worked in politics and in government all your life to be able to solve a problem," he said. "That's what my record says."

The rap on Santorum is he's too focused on social issues, and he lost his Senate race in 2006 by a wide margin. But Santorum said Friday that his "message" will eventually improve his standing in the GOP pack. He noted that he emerged at the top during a recent straw poll in South Carolina.

Analysts say Santorum's social conservative views will help him in key primary states like Iowa and South Carolina, but that he would need a broader message to connect in a general election.

With the economy and deficits on the front burner, foreign policy continues to be the wild card - an issue that could play a much bigger role in the campaign ahead depending on the course of the Arab revolts, Israeli-Palestinian peace talks and the war against Al Qaeda.

The 2012 field is by no means set. Though Donald Trump, ex-Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, and Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels say they're out, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has stirred speculation by announcing a bus tour this weekend. Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., is expected to announce her plans next month in Iowa, and former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman is weighing his options. Others are prodding New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/27/selling-short-2012-gop-candidates-work-improve-image-connect/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: May 31, 2011, 11:34:25 AM »
Huntsman distances from Obama
By: CNN Political Unit

(CNN) – Potential 2012 GOP presidential candidate Jon Huntsman used an interview published Tuesday to clarify how close he is with President Obama, his former boss.

"We don't have a personal relationship," Huntsman, who served as U.S. ambassador to China under Obama, told Real Clear Politics. "I was asked to do a sensitive job, but it's not like it was based on a personal relationship."

President Obama and his aides have used the relationship to publically jab Huntsman while he mulls a run for the White House and the former Utah governor has said he was simply serving his country.

But in the same interview Huntsman criticized the president's economic agenda.

"We have no pro-growth policies," Huntsman said. "When was the last time we had a free-trade agreement?"

"I think he's a good man, and he's tried his best," Huntsman added.

The press has continually pressed him about his relationship with Obama, which might explain his picks for Republicans he "admires most," Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

Huntsman said he admired Ryan's ability to find solutions and Huckabee for connecting to voters in a heartfelt way.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/31/huntsman-distances-from-obama/#more-161664

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »
Romeny is going to announce tomorrow (Thursday). 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2011, 03:33:11 AM »
People act like obama is some towering figure.   He's not.  With the economy in the toilet, he is easily beatable.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »
Same man, different strategy, for Romney's second White House bid

(CNN) - It was all about the economy and about New Hampshire when Mitt Romney made it official Thursday. The former Massachusetts governor and 2008 Republican presidential candidate formally announced his second bid for the White House, declaring his candidacy at an event in New Hampshire, the state that holds the first primary in the presidential caucus and primary calendar.

The man who many consider the early front-runner in the race for the GOP presidential nomination sharply criticized President Barack Obama over the state of the economy, saying "Barack Obama has failed America."

Romney attacked Obama for expanding the role of the federal government, adding, "we are only inches away from ceasing to be a free market economy. I will cap federal spending at 20 percent or less of the GDP and finally, finally balance the budget."

It's no surprise that Romney focused on the economy. He was criticized during his first bid for the White House for trying to be everything to everyone, weighing in often on domestic, international and social issues. This time around it appears to be different.

National polls indicate that the economy remains the top issue on the mind of Americans.

"The issue that most Americans are concerned about happens to be in my wheelhouse," Romney boasted last week at a campaign event in Iowa.

Romney has repeatedly criticized the president's handling of the economic recovery, blaming Obama for creating a climate of uncertainty for small business owners. He highlights his private sector experience, saying it gives him a better understanding of how to create jobs.

"From my first day in office my number one job will be to see that America once again is number one in job creation," Romney said when he announced his candidacy.

Romney made it official at a noontime barbecue at Stratham farm, a must-stop location for GOP contenders. But he isn't the only big name Republican in New Hampshire Thursday. Two people flirting with bids for the Republican presidential nomination, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, also hold events in the Granite State. Palin has grabbed the spotlight this week as she's made her way from the nation's capital to New England during a well-publicized tour that could be the first step toward a possible run for the White House.

This is the second time this spring Romney has used New Hampshire as a backdrop to make news, which tells us a lot about his strategy for his second bid for the GOP presidential nomination. On April 11, Romney announced the formation of a presidential exploratory committee with a video he taped that day at the University of New Hampshire in Durham.

Romney is well known in New Hampshire. He was governor of neighboring Massachusetts from 2003 to 2007, is seen often on TV in New Hampshire (much of the more populated southern part of the state is in the Boston media market), he has a vacation home in the state's “lakes region” and he spent lots of time in the state in 2007 and 2008 in his first bid for the White House and last year as well, when he lent a helping hand to New Hampshire Republicans in the midterm election campaign.

"Republicans in the Granite State have been closely watching Gov. Romney for 10 years since he was elected in Massachusetts in 2002. He needs to win in a state where voters know him best," says Rich Galen, a Republican strategist who advised Fred Thompson during his 2008 GOP presidential bid, and who is the author of Mullings.com, an on-line column.

The strong name recognition and his past efforts in the state are most likely one reason why Romney's far ahead of the rest of the field in a CNN/WMUR poll. The survey, conducted by the University of New Hampshire and released late last month indicates that 33 percent of probable GOP primary voters in New Hampshire back Romney, with Rep. Ron Paul of Texas a distant second at nine percent.

"The shifting nature of the Republican field and a perception that the 'perfect candidate' candidate has not appeared, has led many New Hampshire Republicans to support the best known candidate, Mitt Romney," says Andrew Smith, Director of the UNH Survey Center. "Romney has been the clear favorite among New Hampshire Republicans for more than two years and no other candidate has persuaded voters to move away from Romney."

The poll also indicates that a desire by New Hampshire Republicans to pick someone who can beat President Barack Obama in the 2012 presidential election may be behind his poll numbers.

"Republicans are looking for someone who can take on President Obama, and right now, Romney is seen as the only Republican who can do that," adds Smith.

Last week Romney made his first visit this cycle to Iowa, with three stops across the state that kicks off the presidential primary and caucus calendar. Romney also recently made his first stop in South Carolina, the first southern state to vote in the road to the White House.

"You will see me more than you like, I'm afraid, in Iowa," Romney said during a forum at the State Historical Building in Des Moines. "I will be here plenty and you will get to know what I stand for. Iowa plays a critical role in the process of selecting our nominee and selecting our president."

But Romney told reporters during his visit to the Hawkeye state that he'll run a "lean" campaign in 2012 and said his strategy would not hinge on any single state. He deflected questions about the Ames Straw Poll, a crucial test of each campaign's Iowa organization that will take place in August. Romney spent heavily to win the straw poll vote in the summer of 2007. But he ended up losing the caucuses to former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee. He also had a large campaign in New Hampshire, but came in second to Sen. John McCain of Arizona. This time around it seems Romney will be concentrating his firepower in the Granite State rather than Iowa or South Carolina.

"Whoever wins New Hampshire and the money and momentum that comes with it, has the nomination in his hands,” says Alex Castellanos, a Republican strategist and CNN contributor.

Castellanos was a top media adviser to the 2004 Bush-Cheney re-election campaign and to Romney's 2008 bid for the GOP presidential nomination, but has not taken sides in this cycle.

Romney is at or near the top of the most recent national polls of the Republican nomination horserace. He also appears to be the leading Republican presidential candidate when it comes to the battle for campaign cash. Romney aides say the campaign brought in more than $10 million from donors across the country during an all day phone bank held last month in Las Vegas.

Romney also spent much of April touring the country meeting with donors and fundraisers. He hopes to bring in an impressive haul for the crucial second quarter to show his strength as a candidate.

Romney raised $65.1 million in contributions for his 2008 bid for the GOP nomination. In addition he loaned his campaign $42.3 million from his personal funds.

Thanks to his standing in the polls, his fundraising strength, and his formidable campaign operation, Romney is considered by many to be the front-runner at this stage of the election cycle. And that's one reason why Democrats have increasingly attacked Romney.

"Since Mitt Romney bowed out of the Republican Primary in 2008, he and his handlers have been meticulously planning today's announcement – banking on a 2012 New Hampshire primary victory to slingshot him to the nomination," says Ray Buckley, chairman of the New Hampshire Democratic party. "However, the problem for Mitt Romney is that the reason Granite Staters rejected him three years ago remains the same today: they believe he is a wishy-washy, flip-flopping politician who will say anything or take any position to suit his own immediate political needs."

National Democrats are also characterizing Romney as a "flip-flopper." The Democratic National Committee is out Thursday with a web video titled "Romney: Same candidate, different positions."

Democrats, as well as rival Republicans, have also fired away at Romney over a universal health care measure the then Massachusetts governor signed into law five years ago.

Democrats, including the president, have recently praised Romney's 2006 law for setting the stage for health care reform on the national stage.

"In fact, I agree with Mitt Romney, who recently said he's proud of what he accomplished on health care in Massachusetts and supports giving states the power to determine their own health care solutions," Obama said earlier this year.

The law insured almost every resident of Massachusetts. At the time, it was praised by supporters of health care reform as a landmark achievement for Romney. The lynchpin of the law was an insurance mandate that required the people of Massachusetts to get health insurance.

The insurance mandate in "Romneycare" wasn't a major liability in his first presidential run in 2008 because Obama's health care law wasn't born yet.

But it's a major issue now. Rival campaigns have attacked him and the issue could hurt him with tea party activists and other grassroots conservatives, who will be very influential in picking the next Republican presidential nominee.

Romney addressed his record in a March speech, explaining the law was a "state plan intended to address problems that were in many ways unique to Massachusetts."

"Our experiment wasn't perfect. Some things worked. Some didn't. And some things I'd change," Romney said. "One thing I would never do is to usurp the constitutional power of states with a one-size-fits-all federal takeover."

Last month Romney traveled to Michigan to give a major speech on health care, in which he issued a defense of the health care "experiment" he implemented while governor, saying "I, in fact, did what I thought was right for the people of our state."

But he also attempted to put distance between the president and himself, while moving closer to the Republican base, by calling the health care reform law passed last year a federal "power grab," describing it as "an economic nightmare" and the reason "why this recession has taken so long to move on from."

In the speech and in an op-ed the same day in the USA Today, Romney said he would "issue waivers for all 50 states" to opt-out of health care reform on his first day in office should he be "lucky" enough to become president.

The spotlights on health care and the economy aren't the only differences between the Romney of 2008 and 2012. Another is his appearance. Mostly gone are the suits and ties that the candidate wore in his first bid for the White House. The new Romney is a more casual candidate who didn't even wear a tie in his April video to announce the formation of his presidential exploratory committee. On Memorial Day, he even sent a tweet to his followers off a Romney family photo, in which he was wearing a polo shirt with slightly disheveled hair.

– CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/02/same-man-different-strategy-for-romneys-second-white-house-bid/?hpt=hp_t1

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2011, 03:31:55 PM »
Huntsman: Announcement very soon

Washington (CNN) - Jon Huntsman's official entry into the race for the White House won't happen before the June 13 GOP presidential debate in New Hampshire, but it could happen soon after the debate.

Speaking to reporters Friday after addressing the Faith and Freedom Coalition conference in the nation's capital, the former Utah governor and U.S. ambassador to China said he hopes to have an announcement "very soon. We've discussed this over the past week as a family, and we hope there will be more on that in the next week or two."

Huntsman will not be attending the CNN/WMUR/New Hampshire Union Leader debate, which is being held on the campus of St. Anselm College.
"Governor Huntsman will be spending the next few weeks continuing the due diligence process in line with the very short decision-making timetable he has laid out. He will not be participating in any debates until after that process is over and he formally announces his intentions. That announcement will not come before the June 13th debate," said Paul Collins, Huntsman's chief consultant in New Hampshire, late last month.
Huntsman didn't show his cards regarding where he will announce his candidacy for the GOP nomination, saying "we'll roll that out at an appropriate time and place, just to hold you in a little bit of suspense."

But he did acknowledge previous reports that his campaign headquarters will be based in Florida, saying "we will be moving, once we're announced, towards a campaign structure in Florida and specifically in Orlando. That is the operating plan at this point."

Asked if there's already an apparatus set up in Florida, he said "I do. I have a wife from Orlando."

Huntsman stepped down as U.S. ambassador to China at the end of April. Since then he traveled to the crucial early primary voting states of New Hampshire and South Carolina, and has begun to build up staff in the two states. Huntsman's aides see his route to winning the Republican nomination starting with strong finishes in New Hampshire and South Carolina, two states where independents are able to vote in GOP primaries.
New Hampshire holds the first primary in the primary and caucus calendar, and South Carolina is the first southern state to vote.

The decision to compete in socially conservative South Carolina might seem unusual for Huntsman given his past support for same-sex civil unions and questions about his Mormon faith, but the Huntsman team is confident that a fractured and wide-open GOP field could leave the door open for a fresh-faced candidate with foreign policy experience.

Huntsman said that part of his address to the Faith and Freedom conference was to "introduce myself and my family" to the gathering of influential social conservative activists.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/03/huntsman-announcement-very-soon/#more-162021

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »
huntsman has that presidential feel that a romney has... but he's a better version.

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2011, 05:55:44 AM »
I think Huntsman's tenure as Obama's ambassador to China is going to doom him. People accuse Romney and Pawlenty of not having charisma. This guy REALLY doesnt have it. He isnt someone people will follow.
Otherwise he has a very attractive resume.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!