Author Topic: How much fish oil a day?  (Read 16328 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
How much fish oil a day?
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:06:03 PM »
How much fish oil (in capsules) should someone aim to take each day?

I have access to 1000mg fish oil capsules (460epa+380dha).

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
Re: How much fish oil a day?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:37:12 PM »
DAWG

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 02:02:51 AM »
Bounced around between 6 and 9 grams per day. Anything in that range is perfect, less doesn't work as well, more makes me bruise easily with no added benefit.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:09:04 AM »
General guidelines are 2-6 grams, but you'll see numbers all over the board.  Depends if it's just for overall well-being, high cholesterol, depression, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis...  The "1000mg" capsule means nothing.  It's the EPA & DHA that are important.  The EPA part is what's good for the body and the DHA part is what's good for the brain.  Obviously, you've seen those numbers all over the place depending on brand and $$$.  

The big studies out there use a 2:1 (epa/dha) ratio in their testing, but for some reason, it's hard to find capsules in that ratio.  Anyway, no one can make the blanket statement - "take 2 or take 4 capsules".  It depends how much EPA/DHA in each and the purpose.  If your capsules are 1000mg each and contain 460/380, that sounds like a very high concentration and probably a high quality.

Hope that makes sense.

Bounced around between 6 and 9 grams per day. Anything in that range is perfect, less doesn't work as well, more makes me bruise easily with no added benefit.
Fish oil does have blood thinning properties, so that's why you bruising easier.  That doesn't happen to everyone.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »
Even though this site is trying to sell fish oil, the basic information is accurate and it's got a lot of good information.
See categories on the right side of the page

http://healthyomega3.com/blog/fish-oil-benefits/
:

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:09:55 AM »
General guidelines are 2-6 grams, but you'll see numbers all over the board.  Depends if it's just for overall well-being, high cholesterol, depression, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis...  The "1000mg" capsule means nothing.  It's the EPA & DHA that are important.  The EPA part is what's good for the body and the DHA part is what's good for the brain.  Obviously, you've seen those numbers all over the place depending on brand and $$$.  

The big studies out there use a 2:1 (epa/dha) ratio in their testing, but for some reason, it's hard to find capsules in that ratio.  Anyway, no one can make the blanket statement - "take 2 or take 4 capsules".  It depends how much EPA/DHA in each and the purpose.  If your capsules are 1000mg each and contain 460/380, that sounds like a very high concentration and probably a high quality.

Hope that makes sense.

Fish oil does have blood thinning properties, so that's why you bruising easier.  That doesn't happen to everyone.

Thanks a lot..

Yes, the one i use is pharmaceutical quality (I get it via prescription) it is 460/380...i take 2 a day....and have gone as high as 6 a day.

Now, as far as epa and dha...how much is enough for well being? maybe 2 grams of epa and 1 gram of dha?

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:14:34 PM »
Thanks a lot..

Yes, the one i use is pharmaceutical quality (I get it via prescription) it is 460/380...i take 2 a day....and have gone as high as 6 a day.

Now, as far as epa and dha...how much is enough for well being? maybe 2 grams of epa and 1 gram of dha?

I use 2-4 Tablespoons per day with great results.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 05:44:38 PM »
Thanks a lot..

So... do you have high cholesterol and that's why it's being prescribed?  It really irritates the hell out of me with the big pharma jumping into the game.  They're selling the same stuff to insurance companies for ~$160/mo vs what can be purchased OTC for ~10-$30/mo.  >:(  but that's another story  ::)  Granted, there's the whole quality issue...blah...blah blah...

According GSK, you shouldn't exceed 4 caps/day
:

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 05:51:01 PM »
currently i take

1200mg of fish oil after my wake run

1300mg of flaxseed mid day

1000mg later in the day with my animal flex(joint repair) pack...

bench

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 11:28:10 PM »
currently i take

1200mg of fish oil after my wake run

1300mg of flaxseed mid day

1000mg later in the day with my animal flex(joint repair) pack...

bench

My name is benchmstr . I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

;D

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 01:16:47 AM »
My name is benchmstr . I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

;D

very good sir
DAWG

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 01:09:55 AM »

;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

nicely played.

I don't use any fish oil supp at the moment, but i eat a lot of fresh fish.

When i was using the supp, i was aiming at at least one gram of EPA and DHA per day.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 09:24:44 PM »
How much fish oil (in capsules) should someone aim to take each day?

I have access to 1000mg fish oil capsules (460epa+380dha).

Why the hell would you eat rancid, pro-inflammatory, pro-oxidant fats that taste like garbage?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 09:29:43 PM »
 Why the hell would you eat rancid, pro-inflammatory, pro-oxidant fats that taste like garbage?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

You're really doing a great job as moderator of this board.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 10:13:24 PM »
You're really doing a great job as moderator of this board.

Thank you. I do it for my fans. Everything for my fans. :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 10:14:24 PM »
  DK, I think you should file a complain to Ron about what a terrible, incompetent mod who knows shit about nutrition I am, so he can remove me. :)
 :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »
  DK, I think you should file a complain to Ron about what a terrible, incompetent mod who knows shit about nutrition I am, so he can remove me. :)
 :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Dude, you are putting down the regular posters here on the board, you are behaving like you're Mr Know-it-all and all others are just stupid idiots.

You, and you alone drove a lot of quality posters from this board.

I have gotten many pms from people asking me to come back and post here more often, but i will not do it because of your "all supplements are shit and you are all idiots" behavior.

You suck as a mod, suckmymuscle.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 10:23:13 PM »
Dude, you are putting down the regular posters here on the board, you are behaving like you're Mr Know-it-all and all others are just stupid idiots.

You, and you alone drove a lot of quality posters from this board.

I have gotten many pms from people asking me to come back and post here more often, but i will not do it because of your "all supplements are shit and you are all idiots" behavior.

You suck as a mod, suckmymuscle.

Funny that some time ago you said you enjoyed my moding...just goes to show you were sucking up. :D

And I don't pretend to know more than everyone; I just state flat out that I know more than you. And you can't deal with it.

But go ahead and keep insulting me. I won't delete anything as I am 100% in favor of free speach - I only deleted one of your posts in 4 years as mod, when you posted a picture of a penis ejaculating.

And I doubt I have driven many posters away, as the level of activity of this board has increased since I have been made mod. Probably not related to me being moderator, but still....

Serious note: file a complain to Ron at the administrator board. You are entitled to not be satisfoed with my moderating.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 10:26:48 PM »
  Funny that some time ago you said you enjoyed my moding...just goes to show you were sucking up. :D

And I don't pretend to know more than everyone; I just state flat out that I know more than you. And you can't deal with it.

But go ahead and keep insulting me. I won't delete anything as I am 100% in favor of free speach - I only deleted one of your posts in 4 years as mod, when you posted a picture of a penis ejaculating.

Serious note: file a complain to Ron at the administrator board. You are entitled to not be satisfoed with my moderating.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

You lie straight out, and try to make this a personal thing again, but it isn't.

I have read the board all the time, you insult all users here and i get a lot of pms about how your modding sucks.

I will make a thread on the board to demod you and see how many people will speak up against your modding.

This is not from me against you, it's from me against your modding, you suck badly at it.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 10:31:16 PM »
  Here is the PM message where DK states he likes my moding. This guy is a hypocrite! :D

DK II
Getbig V

I'm an Englishman in New York

Re: (No subject)
« Sent to: suckmymuscle on: February 24, 2009, 07:33:20 AM » Quote Reply Remove  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: suckmymuscle on February 24, 2009, 07:15:46 AM
  Meltdown.  Why so much anger, chichi? It's not this serious. Most research are bullshit anyways - payed by specal interests and not done with hardcore scientific methodology -, and every week comes out new research that contradicts the one from the pevious week. Go take some chill pills, dude. I know that you hate me and are pissed off that I was made mod, but I promisse you I won't hold it against you. I will even keep up your posts where you insult me, because I believe in free speech, as long as you don't go over-the-top with it. Happy posting!

SUCKMYMUSCLE

lol, i do not hate, and i am not angry. I just stated something that struck me as pretty annoying, and also lots of others.

I like your posts and your modding but you act like you know everything and all others are dumb. You should cut back a little bit on this.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 10:34:18 PM »
February 2009, maybe your modding is not what it was back then?? Or am i not allowed to change my opinion?

You act like fucking Hitler on this board.

You suck. Step down, let Princess do the job.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 10:40:14 PM »
February 2009, maybe your modding is not what it was back then?? Or am i not allowed to change my opinion?

You act like fucking Hitler on this board.

You suck. Step down, let Princess do the job.

Dude, I act like Hitler? Do you know how many posts I even edit in this board? Zero! Do you know how many posts I have deleted in over 4 years as mod? Less than ten.

Do I insult people? No! Show me where I have insulted anyone?! Where?! Do you think moderators are not moded? We are. Do you think Ron doesen't read this board and would approve a moderator insulting people? He wouldn't.

The level of activity in this board has increased since I was made mod. This is not related to me being mod, but it disproves your theory that I have driven of lots of posters.

You think that I am arrogant, when in reality I am just stating my opinion and trying to help people. But I will follow your advice and do even less interference in the board...which is close to zero.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 10:43:27 PM »
Then tell me, why do i get those PMs?

Now you act all innocent. You know you aren't.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 10:44:38 PM »
  DK, I am really sorry that I have offended you. I didn't realize that I struck some people as arrogant. I am also sorry that I am not doing a good job as moderator in your eyes. I will try my best to improve.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Sudsville

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 10:41:34 AM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

are you saying we shouldn't take fish oil?