Author Topic: want to train with sandbags/vest.. need cheap alternatives  (Read 2465 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
want to train with sandbags/vest.. need cheap alternatives
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »
everything i see online is stupid expensive.  it's just dead weight for christs sake.

anyone have any cheap alternative ideas for something comparable to a 40lb weight vest and a 75lb sandbag?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: want to train with sandbags/vest.. need cheap alternatives
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:02:54 PM »
No cheap alts. for a weight vest, except rigging up a rope or cloth harness and hanging plates off off it. Or using a weighted back pack. Maybe powerlifting chains, if you don't mind looking a bit silly.

On the sand bag, most guys used a army surplus duffel bag for about $20, loaded with playground sand. To load the bag, you'd line it with a garbage bag, then load multiple smaller bags loaded with the sand into that bag and duct tape it shut. It helps to use the smaller bags to manipulate weight, and it's less of a hassle to clean up if one breaks.

:).

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:12:42 AM »
Buckets (5 gallon or such) filled with water or sand. To the extreme, can mix quick drying cement in a bucket. That will form a much heavier weight.  Some have formed BB plates with cement. Make a formed ring (lawn edging works well) with a PVC fitting in the middle (1 1/2 to 2") and fill with cement. Depending on the height of the edging, can make lighter or very heavy weight. If using a bucket, make sure it's heavy duty, with a good handle With water or sand filled, it's easy to add or reduce resistance.

Sandbags are excellent. Added bonus the grip and forearms become extra strong. Good for overhead pressing, any lateral exercise, rows, arms, etc. Rather than Kettlebells try the common sandbag for a different slant of working out. Cheaper.

Very productive exercises are chins & dips, if you want to go in that direction. Both mass producing exercises and you don't need any high cost equipment.Maybe only a bucket or cement plate tied around the waist. For curls & triceps, hold a towel on one end and have a bud hold the other end for resistance. Excellent exercise because the resistance can be adjusted during the actual exercise. From extra light to extra hard by your partner. Best preformed on a bench or mat.

As for vest, a backpack would be ready made for something like that, as long as you keep it high on the back at all times. Known guy's who have used truck innertubes (can be heavy), with some adjustments needed. Lots of exercises with truck tires, logs & cement blocks with handles. Good Luck.

F

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:55:30 AM »
No cheap alts. for a weight vest, except rigging up a rope or cloth harness and hanging plates off off it. Or using a weighted back pack. Maybe powerlifting chains, if you don't mind looking a bit silly.

On the sand bag, most guys used a army surplus duffel bag for about $20, loaded with playground sand. To load the bag, you'd line it with a garbage bag, then load multiple smaller bags loaded with the sand into that bag and duct tape it shut. It helps to use the smaller bags to manipulate weight, and it's less of a hassle to clean up if one breaks.

:).

great advice!

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 02:18:07 PM »
go out in the woods and find large rocks

tyciol

• Getbig I
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
I managed to find a 30kg bag of construction sand for <$6. The main difficulty isn't so much finding cheap weight as it is finding a sturdier container for it. I only cradle it on my forearms to do endurance squats, obviously can't do stuff like trying to grip it with fingers or the plastic would probably tear.