Author Topic: Strongest Factions???  (Read 6045 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Strongest Factions???
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 06:37:14 AM »
^^LOL!!
Who ever brought the "Spirit Squad" in wrestling should be shot and pissed on.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »
I used to train at nearly every gym in Atlanta over the years I lived there.  A few good WCW stars there and mostly the Power Plant guys trained there at the Main Event in Marietta.

Luger, Johnny the Bull, Kidman, Johnny Swinger, Raven, (who was that dude that lasted about 4 weeks in WCW before getting fired, named Maxx Pain or something??  Did the jumping piledriver as a finisher?  Well... he was there), DDP, Kimberly, a few others.  Scott Steiner trained there, although he and Rick mostly trained at Coffee's Gym a bit further up the street.  (Bad Ass place)

Sting, Goldberg, Zybsko (who was strong as hell and would regularly do multiple sets of 405 on the flat bench for 10-12 reps, but had a horrendously pock marked face), Booker T, Stevie Ray, and couple more worked out at the Main Event on Buford Highway before it was sold and became Ropeman's Fitness.

Flair, Sullivan (who would come in and pick one exercise like standing military press or bench press or squat and then proceed to do at least 50 sets with the same weight on it over and over again for the entire time Flair was on the stairmaster, Anderson, Vicious, Animal, Johnny B Badd all trained at the Golds Gym on Buford, a few miles down from the other Main Event.  Then it because Fitness World, Planet Fitness, and a dozen other names over the years.

Glacier, Rage, Kaos, Kanyon, Sick Boy, Jindrak, Benoit, Malenko, and Jericho all trained at the Power House gym in Alpharetta.  Which had some of the coolest weight machines you could imagine.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 11:54:01 AM »
I used to train at nearly every gym in Atlanta over the years I lived there.  A few good WCW stars there and mostly the Power Plant guys trained there at the Main Event in Marietta.

Luger, Johnny the Bull, Kidman, Johnny Swinger, Raven, (who was that dude that lasted about 4 weeks in WCW before getting fired, named Maxx Pain or something??  Did the jumping piledriver as a finisher?  Well... he was there), DDP, Kimberly, a few others.  Scott Steiner trained there, although he and Rick mostly trained at Coffee's Gym a bit further up the street.  (Bad Ass place)

Sting, Goldberg, Zybsko (who was strong as hell and would regularly do multiple sets of 405 on the flat bench for 10-12 reps, but had a horrendously pock marked face), Booker T, Stevie Ray, and couple more worked out at the Main Event on Buford Highway before it was sold and became Ropeman's Fitness.

Flair, Sullivan (who would come in and pick one exercise like standing military press or bench press or squat and then proceed to do at least 50 sets with the same weight on it over and over again for the entire time Flair was on the stairmaster, Anderson, Vicious, Animal, Johnny B Badd all trained at the Golds Gym on Buford, a few miles down from the other Main Event.  Then it because Fitness World, Planet Fitness, and a dozen other names over the years.

Glacier, Rage, Kaos, Kanyon, Sick Boy, Jindrak, Benoit, Malenko, and Jericho all trained at the Power House gym in Alpharetta.  Which had some of the coolest weight machines you could imagine.
Good stuff. I would have loved to watch the bigger guys like Goldburg and Scotty Steiner train.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »

Larry learned to lift from Bruno in Pittsburgh.
Bruno was always bigger & stronger, but Larry was no slouch in either department, and his physique/shape actually looked quite similar to Sammartino's.

Consider, also, that you weren't watching Larry in his prime.
Strong dude.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »

Bruno was always bigger & stronger, but Larry was no slouch in either department, and his physique/shape actually looked quite similar to Sammartino's.

Strong dude.

This was back when he was doing the announcing gig.  So I was really surprised.  All he ever did was benchpress.    And really really surprised by the condition of his face.  God it was crater bombed all over.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »
This was back when he was doing the announcing gig.  So I was really surprised.  All he ever did was benchpress.    And really really surprised by the condition of his face.  God it was crater bombed all over.

Maybe the cost of Larry's pre-production makeup is what did WCW in.
 ;D

I haven't watched the video in a long time, but in his shoot with Highspots.com, Zbyszko talked some about how he & Bruno would train in Bruno's basement.
It was ridiculously brutal!
It's nice to know, now, that it wasn't all bullshit, either.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 12:47:41 AM »
Anyone remember that guy, i think it was Ice Train (used to shout Hoo Hoo!). Guy was massive if memory serves me and he looked like he was as strong as a bull. Didnt see much of him but not a guy i would forget in a hurry. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 04:44:13 AM »

Strong dude.
I wonder if Bruno ever sauced it. In his prime he ws a bulldozer and strong as hell. He denies use but then again so do a lot of others.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 05:17:14 AM »
I wonder if Bruno ever sauced it. In his prime he ws a bulldozer and strong as hell. He denies use but then again so do a lot of others.

So does Lee Priest.
 ;D

Bruno reminds me somewhat of Freddy Ortiz, who was widely believed to have used, never admitted or denied it either way, and is very vocal in speaking out against it.
What is it they say about those who protest the loudest...?

Remember, too, that Bruno became very bitter about the industry and started criticizing steroid use in pro-wrestling around the time Vince & Zahorian were on trial in Harrisburg.

I've been around plenty of naturally big & strong guys in gyms, and I'm sure you have, too.
I've also been around plenty of guys who get almost all of "it" from the turkey baster they stick in their ass.
You know as well as I do what is common, what is likely, and what is possible.

I won't rule out either, because both seem possible, IMO.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 06:46:06 AM »

So does Lee Priest
 ;D

Bruno reminds me somewhat of Freddy Ortiz, who was widely believed to have used, never admitted or denied it either way, and is very vocal in speaking out against it.
What is it they say about those who protest the loudest...?

Remember, too, that Bruno became very bitter about the industry and started criticizing steroid use in pro-wrestling around the time Vince & Zahorian were on trial in Harrisburg.

I've been around plenty of naturally big & strong guys in gyms, and I'm sure you have, too.
I've also been around plenty of guys who get almost all of "it" from the turkey baster they stick in their ass.
You know as well as I do what is common, what is likely, and what is possible.

I won't rule out either, because both seem possible, IMO.
lol...aint that the truth  :)

And in Bruno's case I think it stems from his son never making it to the bigtime.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 05:54:10 AM »
Anyone remember that guy, i think it was Ice Train (used to shout Hoo Hoo!). Guy was massive if memory serves me and he looked like he was as strong as a bull. Didnt see much of him but not a guy i would forget in a hurry. 

Sure do.  Guy was always visiting the pay window on WCW Saturday Night.....

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 06:28:11 AM »
And in Bruno's case I think it stems from his son never making it to the bigtime.

I think that is 100% reasonable speculation.
If Bruno's kid turned out to be someone like Rock, Austin, Cena, HHH, etc., I suspect we'd barely hear a peep from the Living Legend.

I also think part of it is that, while Bruno enjoyed fantastic money and fame in his day, it was nothing like what guys would make at wrestling's various peaks years later.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2011, 06:30:46 AM »

I think that is 100% reasonable speculation.
If Bruno's kid turned out to be someone like Rock, Austin, Cena, HHH, etc., I suspect we'd barely hear a peep from the Living Legend.

I also think part of it is that, while Bruno enjoyed fantastic money and fame in his day, it was nothing like what guys would make at wrestling's various peaks years later.

I think both of those reasons are true.  I also think that Bruno genuinely hated the direction VKM took the WWF and what it has become. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 07:37:19 AM »

I think both of those reasons are true.  I also think that Bruno genuinely hated the direction VKM took the WWF and what it has become. 

I'm willing to bet that Bruno cannot watch more than 2 min. of any current wrestling show without at least once thinking to himself: "ya' know...back in my day..."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 04:36:30 AM »

I'm willing to bet that Bruno cannot watch more than 2 min. of any current wrestling show without at least once thinking to himself: "ya' know...back in my day..."

It is what it is. Bruno is an old-schooled fart that didn't evolve with the times in the same category of Verne Gagne and a few others with the same mentality. The only thing IMO that savesBruno is the fact that he was a phenomenal wrestler who drew big for Vince Sr. back in the day.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 06:00:25 AM »
It is what it is. Bruno is an old-schooled fart that didn't evolve with the times in the same category of Verne Gagne and a few others with the same mentality. The only thing IMO that savesBruno is the fact that he was a phenomenal wrestler who drew big for Vince Sr. back in the day.

That's the other thing that kills me:
Bruno made damn good money in his day; much better than he would have doing about anything else!
It's all relative, and too many guys lose perspective of that.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »

That's the other thing that kills me:
Bruno made damn good money in his day; much better than he would have doing about anything else!
It's all relative, and too many guys lose perspective of that.
They all bit the hand that fed them. In Bruno's case, he needs to get over the fact the his son was never really any good. Thus his son getting the boot in late 1985 from the WWF.