Author Topic: All over but the crying for WS public sector unions and collective bargaining?  (Read 4247 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
GOP senators say they can advance collective bargaining bill without Democrats present

In a surprise move late Wednesday, Senate Republicans voted to move forward with the governor's controversial budget repair bill, sending the measure to a Senate-Assembly conference committee to craft a new version that both houses will vote on.

Republican leaders would only say the Senate bill differed from the Assembly bill and, after voting to take up a couple of Assembly amendments, indicated it was possible that lawmakers could strip fiscal elements from the proposal and pass only measures dealing with collective bargaining.

Such a move could allow Republicans to pass the governor's bill without the 20 Senate members needed to vote on fiscal matters. Currently 14 Democratic senators remain in Illinois, hiding out in an effort to deny the quorum and stall the vote.

If the Republicans move forward with their plans, it would be a major reversal for Gov. Scott Walker and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau. Both have contended that the bill is fiscal in nature and thus the collective bargaining could not be stripped from the measure.

Democratic Senators on Wednesday immediately criticized the move and said there was a possibility they would come back Wednesday night to fight the bill on the floor. The senators said the Republicans maneuver proves their goal has had more to do with ending collective bargaining for public employees and less to do with balancing the budget.

"They have been saying all along that this is a fiscal item; we've been saying it is not," said Sen. Jon Erpenbach, D-Waunakee, from Illinois. "They have been lying. Their goal is to bust up the unions."

Sen. Bob Jauch, D-Poplar, called the maneuver undemocratic and "almost barbaric."

"There's going to be a public hanging of public employee unions at the Capitol tomorrow if it comes out as I expect," he said, referring to the provisions meant to strip most collective bargaining rights from public employee unions.......

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_8747fa04-4a74-11e0-8e6b-001cc4c03286.html

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Well, the crying (or should I say, gnashing and wailing) apparently has started at HP.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
As the libs would say " ram it through".  Ha ha.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
They were quick. It's already done.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Republicans in the Wisconsin Senate have voted to strip nearly all collective bargaining rights from public workers after discovering a way to bypass the chamber’s missing Democrats.

All 14 Senate Democrats fled to Illinois nearly three weeks ago, preventing the chamber from having enough members present to consider Gov. Scott Walker’s so-called “budget repair bill” — a proposal introduced to plug a $137 million budget shortfall.

The Senate requires a quorum to take up any measures that spend money. But Republicans on Wednesday split from the legislation the proposal to curtail union rights, and a special conference committee of state lawmakers approved that bill a short time later.

The move set up a vote in the Senate, which voted mere moments later.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WISCONSIN_BUDGET_UNIONS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-03-09-19-27-44

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Riots to begin in the morning. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Get out the popcorn.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Get out the popcorn.

And, watch the silly protestors, who vandalize property and destroy property, get their heads split to the white meat (YouTube fodder).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
They were quick. It's already done.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Republicans in the Wisconsin Senate have voted to strip nearly all collective bargaining rights from public workers after discovering a way to bypass the chamber’s missing Democrats.

All 14 Senate Democrats fled to Illinois nearly three weeks ago, preventing the chamber from having enough members present to consider Gov. Scott Walker’s so-called “budget repair bill” — a proposal introduced to plug a $137 million budget shortfall.

The Senate requires a quorum to take up any measures that spend money. But Republicans on Wednesday split from the legislation the proposal to curtail union rights, and a special conference committee of state lawmakers approved that bill a short time later.

The move set up a vote in the Senate, which voted mere moments later.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WISCONSIN_BUDGET_UNIONS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-03-09-19-27-44

And, now the cowards are coming back tomorrow, according to head chicken, Mark Miller.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
GOP senators say they can advance collective bargaining bill without Democrats present

In a surprise move late Wednesday, Senate Republicans voted to move forward with the governor's controversial budget repair bill, sending the measure to a Senate-Assembly conference committee to craft a new version that both houses will vote on.

Republican leaders would only say the Senate bill differed from the Assembly bill and, after voting to take up a couple of Assembly amendments, indicated it was possible that lawmakers could strip fiscal elements from the proposal and pass only measures dealing with collective bargaining.

Such a move could allow Republicans to pass the governor's bill without the 20 Senate members needed to vote on fiscal matters. Currently 14 Democratic senators remain in Illinois, hiding out in an effort to deny the quorum and stall the vote.

If the Republicans move forward with their plans, it would be a major reversal for Gov. Scott Walker and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau. Both have contended that the bill is fiscal in nature and thus the collective bargaining could not be stripped from the measure.

Democratic Senators on Wednesday immediately criticized the move and said there was a possibility they would come back Wednesday night to fight the bill on the floor. The senators said the Republicans maneuver proves their goal has had more to do with ending collective bargaining for public employees and less to do with balancing the budget.

"They have been saying all along that this is a fiscal item; we've been saying it is not," said Sen. Jon Erpenbach, D-Waunakee, from Illinois. "They have been lying. Their goal is to bust up the unions."

Sen. Bob Jauch, D-Poplar, called the maneuver undemocratic and "almost barbaric."

"There's going to be a public hanging of public employee unions at the Capitol tomorrow if it comes out as I expect," he said, referring to the provisions meant to strip most collective bargaining rights from public employee unions.......

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_8747fa04-4a74-11e0-8e6b-001cc4c03286.html

Your comment on huff had me laughing btw.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Your comment on huff had me laughing btw.

Which one?

I've been hitting them with a barrage of comments.

This may be one of the FEW times I watch ol' Big Ed go into epileptic SHOCK.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
YES WE DID!  ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Wish I wasn't banned from hp.  I could go pur salt in those gaping wounds.

Fury

• Getbig V
Union goons swarm the capitol after the vote:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Wouldn't be surprised if violence breaks out over this. 

Fury

• Getbig V
Wouldn't be surprised if violence breaks out over this. 

I wouldn't expect anything less from the far-left.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I think they thought walker was folding w the release of the emails. 

Fury

• Getbig V
I think they thought walker was folding w the release of the emails. 

Sucks for them.  8)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Talk about an emotional roller coaster for these clowns! 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Talk about an emotional roller coaster for these clowns! 

And, now Idaho has joined the party!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110309/tr_ac/8024284_idaho_passes_law_to_curb_unions_collective_bargaining_rights

The Idaho state legislature passed a bill into law Tuesday that will restrict the rights of the state's public school teachers. Yahoo! News reports, via Reuters, that the Idaho law will restrict collective bargaining rights similar to laws that are being pushed in Wisconsin, Michigan and many other states.

The law will eliminate many union-implemented rights such as teacher tenure and reduces the length of teacher labor contracts to one year. The law also removes seniority as an overriding factor in considering layoffs. The law is the first to be passed among the many states working to push through new collective bargaining rules and to weaken the unions.

Dr Loomis

• Getbig III
And, watch the silly protestors, who vandalize property and destroy property, get their heads split to the white meat (YouTube fodder).

Who will be splitting their heads, you? Cops are part of the pinch.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
True dat.  I think the cops will turn a blind eye in this instance.

Fury

• Getbig V
They might want to think that through before they do it. Rampaging through the streets like animals isn't going to win them any supporters.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Who will be splitting their heads, you? Cops are part of the pinch.
actually if its like the original it doesnt...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/08/wisconsin.budget.emails/index.html?iref=allsearch
"Walker's initial proposal -- which passed the state's assembly on Friday and would exclude police and firefighters -- requires public workers to contribute more to their pension and health care plans, while prohibiting collection of union dues.

It would also restrict the collective bargaining power of public-sector unions to be limited to wages, and would be capped to the rate of inflation. Pay raises beyond the inflation index would require a voter referendum.

The original bill would also restrict contracts and would mandate annual votes for unions to keep their certification."

Id really like a person who was against this bill to give me reasons why they were against these issues...

all of them seem perfectly reasonable to me

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
PUBLIC Unions have had a free ride for four years now!  The rest of us have dealt with a bad economy for years now. 

Screw these greedy leeches. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
LAUGHING MY FUCKING ASS OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

at all the wisconsin dems yelling about democracy, even as they are still out of state running away to stall the DEMOCRATIC process

goodness gracious what a bunch of damn hypocrites...